As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DEATHLOOP] - The newest 0451-em-up by Arkane

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Question about nighttime, once you've figured out how to get more targets at the party
    is there an elegant way to take out Wenjie and Egor on the roof? I dropped Aleksis into the meat grinder, which was beautiful, but then I just had to go up and start blasting at the other two (and holy shit they took a LOT of bullets to go down??)

If I had Nexus and Aether I guess I could have invisibly snapped both their necks at once but I can't imagine trying to get around that level without Shift as well

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I still haven't had a real go at that section with anything other than a Kill Bill-esque destruction derby of every single soul in the house.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The hardest part of doing an "Only Visionaries, no Eternalists" playthrough was, by far, the stage of the plan with no Visionaries in it

I'm so curious to learn how other folks managed it, because I felt like a goddamn GENIUS when I found my path

I got to the place fairly easy with aether + blink

The hard part was when I had to disable my powers to use the machine

In retrospect, I could have just set the power disabler far enough away so I could mess with it while using aether

I also shouldn't have gone for that playthrough as my first all visionaries loop.

Yeah, using the machine with people on patrol nearby was the real sticky wicket. I positioned a nullifier such that it caught the machine but left me space to interact with it without stopping Aether, but it took some real finagling to pull it off

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Question about nighttime, once you've figured out how to get more targets at the party
    is there an elegant way to take out Wenjie and Egor on the roof? I dropped Aleksis into the meat grinder, which was beautiful, but then I just had to go up and start blasting at the other two (and holy shit they took a LOT of bullets to go down??)

If I had Nexus and Aether I guess I could have invisibly snapped both their necks at once but I can't imagine trying to get around that level without Shift as well
    If you watch them interact long enough, Wenjie shoves Egor through the skylight. I used that opportunity to isolate and stealthily nab him, then I headed back to the roof and popped Wenjie with a sniper rifle from a goodly distance. Not the MOST elegant, but kept me from having to fight any Eternalists.

I bet one could place a proximity mine down where Egor lands after the shove, I bet that'd be funny.

I wish there was a "Put the pieces on the board how I like them" shortcut, to make experimenting at the final party a little easier

• Options
    Juliana/Multiplayer UPDATE:

It is hilarious to be Colt, primarily on Updaam but also other maps, and to have the Ghost+Flicker Upgrade+Sniper Rifle. You can literally just squat down on a bit of roof with clear sightlines to the Radio Tower, and take pot shots at Juliana and watch them flip out not knowing where you are or what the fuck is going on. Most of the Julianas I have encountered are way too scared of leaving their area, which is definitely something you should be doing as her. So they just hover around and slowly die as paranoia overwhelms them. The ledge I hang out on also has a clear view into Colt's apartment, so when they go in there to hide I can still shoot them, which causes them to go insane.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I do think that having near permanent invisibility that doesn't break on taking offensive actions is an odd balance choice for a cat and mouse shooter.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I do think that having near permanent invisibility that doesn't break on taking offensive actions is an odd balance choice for a cat and mouse shooter.

If the Julianas would do anything other than move around a small box on the map, I would be really screwed with just sitting still. The gun still leaves a smoke trail when it fires, and you're not really invisible, just hard to see, and it's very loud. Or they could just be patient, get under cover, and force me out. There's no way around the radio tower, I have to go there. Or, when I shoot into the apartment, they could close the window and go out another window. Plenty of moves, they just don't want to make them.

Most people just have too much trepidation about moving/looking for Colt. Don't play scared, embrace death.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else always spawn a Julianna when they go to the small security room under/behind Charlie's Mansion? It seems consistent, and the past few times she's always had Havoc and spawned right in my face, which is a nightmare.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »

If the Julianas would do anything other than move around a small box on the map, I would be really screwed with just sitting still. The gun still leaves a smoke trail when it fires, and you're not really invisible, just hard to see, and it's very loud. Or they could just be patient, get under cover, and force me out. There's no way around the radio tower, I have to go there. Or, when I shoot into the apartment, they could close the window and go out another window. Plenty of moves, they just don't want to make them.

Most people just have too much trepidation about moving/looking for Colt. Don't play scared, embrace death.

Yeah, there's counterplay, but it's still an insanely powerful ability for a cat and mouse game. It's just kind of weirdly overturned to give incredible PvE stealth abilities in PvP.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure I have had Julianna spawn more than one time in a loop. Is that supposed to be possible?

• Options
    What if I fucked with Colt by killing the targets before him and then just not killing him?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, I think what I like about Deathloop is that everything feels of a piece. They don't section anything off for balance, they're just like "deal with it"

On both sides! Like, as Juliana I take the Max Health perk, Headshot Perk, Silent Perk, and Double Jump+ Shift and Aether. Holy shit, better bring the pain because she is not going to get killed quickly.

A gun that shoots exploding gas, a sniper rifle that bleeds you, an automatic shotgun that applies bleed.

and yet I will still routinely get smooshed by Colts who know what the hell they're doing, and they have three tries to kill me, to my one.

For as unbalanced as it looks on paper, it has felt very evenhanded.

I think the only thing that seems poorly implemented is the range and direction with which a character can get an instant melee kill. Sometimes it seems like they have to be looking away, sometimes it doesn't seem to matter, sometimes it seems like they do it from 10 feet away.

cursedking on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm two stages into the "real" game and I had a notification that Juliana was looking for me, and a few minutes later a notification that she had left

I assumed Internet trubs, but I made sure that I swept the tower for mines anyway as dying to an absent Juliana would have been a right pisser

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I'm two stages into the "real" game and I had a notification that Juliana was looking for me, and a few minutes later a notification that she had left

I assumed Internet trubs, but I made sure that I swept the tower for mines anyway as dying to an absent Juliana would have been a right pisser

Yeah she either disconnected on purpose or lost connection. She also could have jumped off a cliff accidentally. You get the same message if she just dies.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I am pretty sure I have had Julianna spawn more than one time in a loop. Is that supposed to be possible?

yeah she can potentially invade on every phase of the day, and some location/time combos have a higher chance of spawning her, like the complex at night

• Options
    What if I fucked with Colt by killing the targets before him and then just not killing him?

Light end game spoilers kind of?
    it’s my policy that if it’s the right map at night where ending the loop is possible, I’ll go rogue and kill the bosses

As far as multiple Juliana invasions- yes, and there’s a story reason for that.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I do wish there was a way to restart a mission other than going to the main menu and back. It makes experimenting on maps like the one where there is a party at night a pain even beyond taking a minute or two to get back to the building the party is at.

And I still need to find a not-dying-from-gas trinket because I couldn't keep the first one I found. It would be very useful with the gas gun

Couscous on
  • Options
    Doesn't the purple rarity creeping death (make less noise while moving), kind of make purple rarity swift shadow (move faster when crouched) kind of useless except if you really need the visibility reduction from being crouched?

• Options
    Doesn't the purple rarity creeping death (make less noise while moving), kind of make purple rarity swift shadow (move faster when crouched) kind of useless except if you really need the visibility reduction from being crouched?

some of the character traits overlap, and I can only imagine they do because in both roles it's random what ones you can get

• Options
    My god I'm terrible at being Juliana

On the upside it makes me feel very charitable, like I'm really doing a solid for the folks lucky enough to get invaded by my dumb ass. Preventing them from having to deal with someone actually competent, I'm a real hero

• Options
    edited September 2021

On the upside it makes me feel very charitable, like I'm really doing a solid for the folks lucky enough to get invaded by my dumb ass. Preventing them from having to deal with someone actually competent, I'm a real hero

One thing that I have found to be invaluable is proximity mines on the normal entrances to the radar. Like on Udaam, the landing under the library window, the door directly under that area, the left side of the roof, and then right at the door to the far entrance to that area (where you can get over to the bridge to Charlie's Mansion).

That lets me feel pretty good about flowing a little more far afield to see where colt is, and if I hear one go off, I can zip back.

Are you playing on pc or ps5?

also, cannot even begin to think about ever changing my outfit after this one, Juliana is styling:
    w9u8eslzr4jf.png

cursedking on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    my current julianna tactic is to try to remember the placement of as many turrets as possible, and as soon as i enter a game, run off and get some to set up near the radar, in positions that make it hard to hack from a distance

setting up around a visionary is also a good tactic, though if they're not making an attempt on the target this time around they might just hack the radar and ditch you

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Question: if you as Juliana kill the boss, can you take their shit and trinkets and such, or can you not pick up lootables?

Becuase it'd be rude as hell to kill a visionary to deny Colt the treasures, even if killing the visionary is technically his goal the treasures are what I'm always after!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The only reason I played Julianna was to get skins and then in like 14 hunter ranks it gave me all of two of them

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I do wish there was a way to restart a mission other than going to the main menu and back. It makes experimenting on maps like the one where there is a party at night a pain even beyond taking a minute or two to get back to the building the party is at.

And I still need to find a not-dying-from-gas trinket because I couldn't keep the first one I found. It would be very useful with the gas gun

Yeah, I foolishly dropped a purple gun with additional damage to tagged targets to grab the gas gun, then choked myself in the next area during a frantic shootout

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Question: if you as Juliana kill the boss, can you take their shit and trinkets and such, or can you not pick up lootables?

Becuase it'd be rude as hell to kill a visionary to deny Colt the treasures, even if killing the visionary is technically his goal the treasures are what I'm always after!

yeah nah you can't

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The way you get anything as Juliana is simply a loot box that drops for every hunter rank, you get 7-9 items, ranging from gray character traits to powers/upgrades to skins to guns.

• Options
    My tactic as Juliana, which has been very successful, is to observe the entrance, find Colt via a disrupted cultist or two, tag him if I'm feeling cheeky, then just activate Havoc and shoot his ass with a shotgun.

It's surprisingly effective to just go loud all the time.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »

One thing that I have found to be invaluable is proximity mines on the normal entrances to the radar. Like on Udaam, the landing under the library window, the door directly under that area, the left side of the roof, and then right at the door to the far entrance to that area (where you can get over to the bridge to Charlie's Mansion).

That lets me feel pretty good about flowing a little more far afield to see where colt is, and if I hear one go off, I can zip back.

Are you playing on pc or ps5?

also, cannot even begin to think about ever changing my outfit after this one, Juliana is styling:
    w9u8eslzr4jf.png

Proximity mines are the only way I've gotten any kills, yeah. I'm on PS5.

I'm also level 11 and the only slabs I've gotten are Shift and Karnesis which are both kinda useless for Juliana

• Options
    I pretty much exclusively use shift as a get out of jail card for juliana both for catching up and getting away from colt if i'm down in health, but yeah karnesis is not super useful

• Options
    You know, I said that, and then I IMMEDIATELY flung Colt off a cliff to his death and it was REAL satisfying

He tried to Shift his way back but panicked and rocketed himself further into the aether, it was a hoot

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Flinging the other player to their death is great, regardless of which side you're playing.

I don't see why Julianna would ever want to use nexus. Even if you can link Colt to eternalists, that seems rather situational.

• Options
    I put a proximity mine on Colt's corpse and blew him up when he came to retrieve his residuum, god it was one of the meanest things I've done in a video game

• Options
    Shotgunning colts is so much fun

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Shotgunning colts is so much fun

the strelak 50-50 is just...a murder machine

edit: my favorite proximity mine hit so far was putting one on the air vent outside the house on Updaam that booped the sneaky colt right off the stage.

cursedking on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    A Colt managed to sneak past my mines, alert basically no guards, hack the radio, and kill the visionary in 15+ minutes of total ghost gameplay.

They were not smart enough to leave after killing the visionary, and I killed them as they were busy reading log entries. Fuckin' Colt is dumbass sometime(line)s

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Man I really shouldn't have talked shit about Karnesis, I've wiped three different players now and "fling em off a goddamn cliff" accounted for over half my kills, people NEVER see it coming

• Options
    Can you fling the talking figure in that one mission off a cliff along with Colt to make them really mad?

• Options
    I put a proximity mine on Colt's corpse and blew him up when he came to retrieve his residuum, god it was one of the meanest things I've done in a video game

I told my wife about this like it was a fun story about fun times in a video game and she was faintly horrified and said "That's literally a war crime under the Geneva Convention" which, fair

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    To be fair there are only a handful of things that happen in Deathloop that aren’t war crimes.

But also, man, going into this I was not expecting a game with a more anti-Objectivism slant than Bioshock but I’m into it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust