As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Humble Choice:

Due Process
    House Flipper
    Project Wingman
    Wingspan
    BPM: Bullets Per Minute
    Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
    Simplerockets 2
    Timelie
    Wrath: Aeon of Ruin
    Mobius Front '83

Turnip Boy? Simple Rockets?

The only game I've heard of on this list is Wrath and that's not even a finished game yet.
    I've not played it but Turnip Boy looks like a decently funny light Zelda-like thing to me.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    When is the next sale supposed to happen? I thought I had picked up all the vermintide 2 DLC while it was on sale during halloween but apparently the sale never finalized and I didn't notice.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    The classic Tomb Raider games would be both interesting to watch and entertaining to force someone through.

The only downside to this is someone will get to play Tomb Raider (really good), but then have to suffer through Tomb Raider 2 and 3 (mediocre) before getting to play The Last Revelation (also really good) and then finishing with Chronicles (half good, half mediocre).

The first game can be challenging, but mostly due to environmental hazards. You can cheese most combat encounters with animals by standing on a platform and shooting them to death with your unlimited ammo pistols while they run around in circles (and there are only a small handful of fights with humans, who can also be cheesed a little if you know their mechanics). If you do this, and keep an eye out for secrets, you can finish the game with thousands of rounds of ammo for the magnums/uzis and 30+ medkits of both sizes. Because of this, the devs made the biggest sequel countersteer in videogame history by making the second game much more difficult and throwing hundreds of terrible hitscanning human enemies all over the place (and TR2 also, consequently, has zero tombs).

Tomb Raider 3 is kind of a mess, it has a "choose your own progression" setup where after the first location you can pick which order you play the remainder in, but since one location takes away all of your gear (Lara breaks into Area 51, gets caught, gets imprisoned on the base, and then breaks out and murders dozens of innocent soldiers so that she can steal an artifact then gets away with it and it is never addressed again) if you don't do that one first you effectively bork yourself out of weapons and ammo that you'll need for the end of the game.

But then you get to Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, which is where the devs said "Hey, remember when this game was about raiding tombs? We should do that again". So they did, and it was great. A "return to form", in the style of the original game. A 10/10 complimentary game to the 11/10 original.

Then there was Chronicles, which is a series of four prequel sidestories told by three friends of Lara Croft after her funeral (spoiler alert, she isn't dead). Two of them are a lot of fun, one is set in Rome and even has you interacting with a couple of characters that show up in the first Tomb Raider, the other is set on an island in Ireland where Lara (who is 16) has no weapons and has to contend with ghosts and creatures from Irish folklore. The other two are not as fun, they are a story where Lara has to infiltrate a mafia operated submarine (cool idea but bad execution) and another where she has to infiltrate a high security corporate building (bad idea and bad execution).

Angel of Darkness doesn't exist, it is a horrible fever dream I had in the summer of 2003.

tl;dr - the classic Tomb Raider series has some of the most uneven franchise quality ever. There are some really excellent games, but there are also some aggressively bleh games. If you wanted to see a Tomb Raider marathon I think the better bet would be for someone to play through the entire first game, and then play through Tomb Raider Anniversary (a complete remake of the first game) so you could see what changes and updates were made in the 10+ years between the two.

• Options
    Yeah the Halloween sales closed up quick. I was just barely able to snag RE8 off GMG this morning. I guess fair enough, seeing as it's not Halloween anymore.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    If I had the free time to marathon, I'd run a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight marathon.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    What about a doom marathon?

Ultimate Doom
    Doom 2
    Final Doom
    (No rest for the living)
    (Sigil)
    Doom 3
    Resurrection of Evil
    Lost Mission
    (Maybe throw in Doom3: Phobos here)
    Doom 2016
    Doom Eternal
    Doom Eternal: Ancient Gods

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Darlan wrote: »
    Humble Choice:

Due Process
    House Flipper
    Project Wingman
    Wingspan
    Simplerockets 2
    Timelie
    Mobius Front '83

The only game I've heard of on this list is Wrath and that's not even a finished game yet.
    I've not played it but Turnip Boy looks like a decently funny light Zelda-like thing to me.
    Its also really short(about two hours according to HLTB) which may or may not be a plus depending on what you're looking for.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Anyone playing AoE4? I'm doing it through Game Pass and so far it's been a fun game. I'd love to play some Team Multiplayer games but I'm kinda tired of getting teamed with people playing SimCity and not actually an RTS.

Not to say I'm great (I'm stubbornly trying to play Mongols), but at least I try to harass and build stuff. :lol:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Sorry to whoever @ 'd me in the chat, Steam is doing a Toosday or something and won't let me in right now, so I can't see what you tagged me in!

Edit: have now. Cheers Stabbity :lol:

It was this, for the Mexican F1 race this coming weekend:
    hyouanpnfnr9.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Melody's Escape is a very no-frills game, pick a song, play through a stage to the beat of the song, end. Definitely intense, but a bit one-note.
    (That said, playing through Maximum Tune's OST never gets old.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3U6QlCIMBs

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Has anyone had issues with RE4 simply not starting? Just says loading, then quits right back out.

Never mind, had to force 60HZ...

unknown.png?width=721&height=577

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Humble Choice:

Due Process
    House Flipper
    Project Wingman
    Wingspan
    Simplerockets 2
    Timelie
    Mobius Front '83

It's really not. The gameplay is super basic and the humor is basically all of the "look at this funny thing we thought of!" variety. Some people enjoy it of course but it's really going to depend on how the humor lands for you because the gameplay won't carry the game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Using HD mod:
    unknown.png?width=1026&height=577

Close up:
    unknown.png?width=1026&height=577

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Edit: Ooh, that RE4 mod is really coming along, those guys are doing a great job on that.

Speaking of RE mods, just in case it helps someone down the road: I found that RE5 wouldn’t launch for me anymore due to it somehow still needing but not being able to download the Games For Windows Live dll file, but you can find a copy of it on nexus mods in the Fallout 3 section and just toss it in your steam apps/common/etc RE5 exe folder.

Darlan on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Edit: Ooh, that RE4 mod is really coming along, those guys are doing a great job on that.

Speaking of RE mods, just in case it helps someone down the road: I found that RE5 wouldn’t launch for me anymore due to it somehow still needing but not being able to download the Games For Windows Live dll file, but you can find a copy of it on nexus mods in the Fallout 3 section and just toss it in your steam apps/common/etc RE5 exe folder.

Hackerman.jpeg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sorry to whoever @ 'd me in the chat, Steam is doing a Toosday or something and won't let me in right now, so I can't see what you tagged me in!

Edit: have now. Cheers Stabbity :lol:

It was this, for the Mexican F1 race this coming weekend:
    hyouanpnfnr9.jpg

This is a good joke

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    What would be a more interesting marathon of gaming, all the resident evil on pc, or a final fantasy marathon, maybe 1-4 (since I dont have 5 and its not out yet) in a row? Which one would be more entertaining to force someone through? Asking for a friend of course.

or if anyone has any suggestions on another franchise or theme marathon to do be sure to let me know.

But would you be able to get someone to play RE in coop?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    What would be a more interesting marathon of gaming, all the resident evil on pc, or a final fantasy marathon, maybe 1-4 (since I dont have 5 and its not out yet) in a row? Which one would be more entertaining to force someone through? Asking for a friend of course.

or if anyone has any suggestions on another franchise or theme marathon to do be sure to let me know.

Clearly not @Big Classy he hates coop in RE games.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    :x

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Hackerman.jpeg

/me goes off to watch Kung Fury for the eighty-seventh time

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Wow that's pretty.

On RE4, I encourage all people who want to replay RE4 to wait until RE4HD is out with 1.0. Albert has been working super hard on it and has said he should have a 1.0 release ready close to Christmas.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Welcome! You do a good stream (though I don't get to join for much of it, most times) and the Children's Hospital does good work. :)

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Wow that's pretty.

On RE4, I encourage all people who want to replay RE4 to wait until RE4HD is out with 1.0. Albert has been working super hard on it and has said he should have a 1.0 release ready close to Christmas.

Huh, I could have sworn they were done already. Man, that project has been around for so many years

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited November 2021

Hackerman.jpeg
    Ah, sorry if that was a bit much. I know people can just google these problems, but when I googled that one I got pointed to a bunch of sites I didn't really know and it was just easier to use nexusmods since I've already taken a bunch of risks on their files anyways, and they pre-scan for viruses and whatnot.

The first few hours of RE8 gets the thumbs up from me, by the by, it does a pretty good job of channeling RE4 while also being its own thing.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Anyone playing AoE4? I'm doing it through Game Pass and so far it's been a fun game. I'd love to play some Team Multiplayer games but I'm kinda tired of getting teamed with people playing SimCity and not actually an RTS.

Not to say I'm great (I'm stubbornly trying to play Mongols), but at least I try to harass and build stuff. :lol:

I played a bit of it between FF14 sessions and enjoyed it. Seems like a really solid modern interpretation of Age of Empires.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Playing Sim city is my favorite old school rts thing to and AoE 4 fills the gap that 2 left nicely.

Wall up everything, builds tons of defenses, upgrade everything I can while building an army way bigger than it needs to be to win. Dunno why but this loop is really satisfying to me. Single player only of course. I'm terrible against other people

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Playing Sim city is my favorite old school rts thing to and AoE 4 fills the gap that 2 left nicely.

Wall up everything, builds tons of defenses, upgrade everything I can while building an army way bigger than it needs to be to win. Dunno why but this loop is really satisfying to me. Single player only of course. I'm terrible against other people

Ah, a fellow turtle.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

They upgraded the power of walls in AoE4, too, which I personally appreciate. I love it when a game lets me turtle, like Riftbreaker or They Are Billions or whatever.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Hackerman.jpeg
    Ah, sorry if that was a bit much. I know people can just google these problems, but when I googled that one I got pointed to a bunch of sites I didn't really know and it was just easier to use nexusmods since I've already taken a bunch of risks on their files anyways, and they pre-scan for viruses and whatnot.

The first few hours of RE8 gets the thumbs up from me, by the by, it does a pretty good job of challenging RE4 while also being its own thing.

It was a Kung Fury joke. Dont neg on yourself for sharing valuable information that will prove useful

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Wow that's pretty.

Huh, I could have sworn they were done already. Man, that project has been around for so many years
    Part of it is out. They've released it in chunks and the village and castle sections are released.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    G2G made good on fan feedback and patched the everliving hell out of Humankind. It is now well beyond playable status.

https://youtu.be/dS8rHmP94i8

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

They upgraded the power of walls in AoE4, too, which I personally appreciate. I love it when a game lets me turtle, like Riftbreaker or They Are Billions or whatever.

Oh yes. They Are Billions is a perfect game for this.

Not the campaign though, because no replaying a mission or reloading a save totally does not work in a campaign setting.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options

Wow that's pretty.

You'd think it was done from how good it looks already.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Wow that's pretty.

You'd think it was done from how good it looks already.
    they've been doing it in chunks, is the thing. the parts that are DONE look really good. But there's parts that aren't done like at all. (Well they're probably about done now since it's apparently near full release)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

@CorriganX I wouldn't mind playing RE5 and RE6 in coop. I am indeed planning on playing every RE game at some point as well and I am happy to do those games on PC coop (I intend to play everything else on PS4/5). I just need to get through Dragon Age Inqusition and Guardians of the Galaxy first. I am very happy to play both games in coop, especially RE6 as coop makes that game bearable.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

@CorriganX I wouldn't mind playing RE5 and RE6 in coop. I am indeed planning on playing every RE game at some point as well and I am happy to do those games on PC coop (I intend to play everything else on PS4/5). I just need to get through Dragon Age Inqusition and Guardians of the Galaxy first. I am very happy to play both games in coop, especially RE6 as coop makes that game bearable.

I don't think that co-op makes RE6 bearable.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Oh yes it’s a shit game, no denying that, but at least you don’t have an AI companion making it MORE frustrating.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

I don't think that co-op makes RE6 bearable.

It does make it a lot more fun, though my favorite parts of 6 were easily Mercenaries and Leon's campaign.

Sherry's had its moments, too.

wVEsyIc.png