Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Alright, might be getting the Quest 2 at tax return time. Thanks everyone.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    I did it. I freakin beat Sekiro. From never finishing a Souls game to finishing Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro since last Tuesday. Woot woot.

And now, I rest. My watch has ended.

Isn't anyone going to tell him about elden ring?

I mean, with this mob I kinda presumed a green envelope would show up

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Any of you fine gentlepersons dabble on the VR side of PC gaming? I'm not looking to go crazy or anything. I'm assuming my PSVR gear would be practically worthless for PC. Is the Oculus Quest 2 decent for PCVR? I know Facebook/Meta is awful, but it's so cheap.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/233071/virtual-reality-2-electric-butterloo

The VR thread might be able to better help you out.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    My 13 year long quest to finally finish Valkyrie Chronicles begins. Got through to Chapter 6 and am reminded how brilliant this game is. Also how well that cel-shaded anime art style holds up and always will.

I now own or have owned this game on
    PS5
    PS3
    PC
    Switch

And never managed to finish on any of them for various reasons.

But this time, THIS TIME, I cannot be stopped.

Well do I know this issue. Good luck, and remember, the grading system for the missions is dumb.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    My 13 year long quest to finally finish Valkyrie Chronicles begins. Got through to Chapter 6 and am reminded how brilliant this game is. Also how well that cel-shaded anime art style holds up and always will.

I now own or have owned this game on
    PS5
    PS3
    PC
    Switch

And never managed to finish on any of them for various reasons.

But this time, THIS TIME, I cannot be stopped.

Well do I know this issue. Good luck, and remember, the grading system for the missions is dumb.

Yeah. A lot of it assumes things like rushing forward with scouts barely playing the game to rapid capture objectives. I have watched a few A rank guides and they are a little depressing. Literally all that matters is the number of turns, a handful of missions even require being done in a single turn!

I don’t worry about that, instead I just focus on the actual fun of playing the game instead.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Lately I've been playing Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Blackheart. I'm 18 hours in so far. It's an SRPG in the JRPG series Hyperdimension Neptunia where anime girls are anthropomorphic personifications of the consoles Xbox, Playstation, and Wii. There are also personifications of every company that's ever been involved with the series and other game series. Being a sucker for weird Japanese games I did play the first Neptunia game and liked it well enough. Being a huge fan of SRPGs, a genre which went almost entirely to handhelds after the PS2/oXbox generation, I'd been meaning to check this out for a while.

So how is it? Well, the presentation is about as expected. The writing is a mix of "zany" and "random" personalities while being self aware and not taking itself too seriously, giving excuses for each upcoming battle. It's not unlike watching a Hallmark movie knowing there's going to be some silly contrivances to get those two people who don't like each other to fall in love by the end. It's silly and fun if you're not expecting Shakespeare. The dialogue is presented as a half step up from visual novels with sprites having moving facial features and a bit of sway to bodies, but aren't far from static images. On the battle map, detail is done well enough for the genre though the character designs are in a low-res chibi style. I say artistic license, you say overly cynical cost cutting measure.

Gameplay wise, SRPGs tend to fall into a few categories. There is the fairly rare "baby's first SRPG" and the other end of the spectrum is the "we have to include enough systems, sub-systems, refinement, and possibly content to give those nutjobs 5000 hours of playtime." Hyperdevotion Noire falls much closer to the former. The battle system is fairly standard with regular attacks not having any cost, plus special/magic attacks that consume SP/MP. Standard attacks are good for an adjacent square or two. Special attacks can have a wider range. There are status effects that can be given and received. Items can restore HP and MP or remove status effects. There are extra special attacks that can occur after some conditions have been met. There's an unusually limited equipment system where weapons can only be used by a single character, no real armour, and accessories can be used by anyone. There's a height system where attacks from higher are stronger, but too much height difference will prevent attacks. Characters can even throw footstools around to access higher places. If this all sounds familiar, it's because it mostly is pretty common.

There's also a clunky crafting system that is carried forward from the main series. Items drop from monsters and in chests, these can be used to create weapons, items, etc that can be crafted once then appear in stores. Beating a map the first time carries a different set of items than subsequent times so pushing the crafting system essential requires playing everything twice (or more) on a single playthrough. The 'Lily Rank' system where using special attacks next to other characters lowers the MP cost of using the attack as well as building the relationship between the two or more characters. One odd system is outside of battle that involves both answering fan mail and using money spent at shops to get points to upgrade Goddess Blackheart's apartment. I assume there's a reason for this system, but I haven't figured it out yet.

So is it any good? If you want to play a great SRPG, get Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. Holy shit, that's a good game. Hyperdevotion Noire is, so far, a game to which I would give a cautious recommendation. The gameplay itself is solid enough. The ideas aren't new, but it's fun. It's definitely not over-complicated (by SRPG standards) and most importantly not boring, which is the worst sin of an SPRG (*cough* Suikoden Tactics). It might come down to tone. If you're in for an SRPG with some light cheesecake, writing that dives into tropes while calling them out, and general silliness then go pick it up. If that last sentence sounds terrible to you, the gameplay isn't worth forcing yourself through it.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Any of you fine gentlepersons dabble on the VR side of PC gaming? I'm not looking to go crazy or anything. I'm assuming my PSVR gear would be practically worthless for PC. Is the Oculus Quest 2 decent for PCVR? I know Facebook/Meta is awful, but it's so cheap.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/233071/virtual-reality-2-electric-butterloo

The VR thread might be able to better help you out.

Thanks. Bookmarked.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Playing more PC Building Sim, the IT expansion.

…is it wrong of me to ask, out loud, on reading some of the ongoing issues with some of the workers in the game that you always need to fix (the guy who always hits his computer in frustration when something happens, to the guy who every fucking week has something catch fire in his PC, to the guy who wanted enough power in his case fan for it to be able to slice salami, or the marketing guru who tried to put a t-shirt through the printer, for example), “…how in the hell are some of you even able to feed yourselves and drive to work without incident? I mean, really…”

…real-life people in a company have to be smarter than this… right?

Also, I had no ideas building computers was getting easier these days. When did everything end up getting so plug-and-play and modular? I always thought it was a lot more involved…

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

You’d be surprised…
    Also, I had no ideas building computers was getting easier these days. When did everything end up getting so plug-and-play and modular? I always thought it was a lot more involved…

Yeah I grew up with a dad and brother that built them and remember it being fairly involved.

I recently built one and it’s just ‘follow the instructions in the case, motherboard and power supply boxes.

Especially if you’re going with a couple of M2 drives you don’t even need to bother with connecting drives to power and SATA points, just plug directly into the motherboard.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Playing more PC Building Sim, the IT expansion.

…is it wrong of me to ask, out loud, on reading some of the ongoing issues with some of the workers in the game that you always need to fix (the guy who always hits his computer in frustration when something happens, to the guy who every fucking week has something catch fire in his PC, to the guy who wanted enough power in his case fan for it to be able to slice salami, or the marketing guru who tried to put a t-shirt through the printer, for example), “…how in the hell are some of you even able to feed yourselves and drive to work without incident? I mean, really…”

Go in the Sysadmin thread and ask around...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

You’d be surprised…

Yeah I grew up with a dad and brother that built them and remember it being fairly involved.

I recently built one and it’s just ‘follow the instructions in the case, motherboard and power supply boxes.

Especially if you’re going with a couple of M2 drives you don’t even need to bother with connecting drives to power and SATA points, just plug directly into the motherboard.

I guess assembly is easier, but that doesn't take into consideration troubleshooting to figure out which, if any, part is the one screwing things up. That one is still an art form... or mostly flailing around iteratively.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

You’d be surprised…

I guess assembly is easier, but that doesn't take into consideration troubleshooting to figure out which, if any, part is the one screwing things up. That one is still an art form... or mostly flailing around iteratively.

That beautiful moment when it's all assembled, shiny and new, standing there looking glorious and ready to bring you countless hours of entertainment and productivity...

And you reach over, press the power button and marvel as...

Nothing happens.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    That happened to me when I built my current PC like years ago. Turned out I put the modular power wire in backwards or something? I forget exactly, but I had checked like every goddamned last thing including making sure I didn't short out the board. Nope, just the wrong wire. Worked fine when I swapped that out.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Putting together a computer takes more knowledge that everything is going to work together and bravery to do it yourself then skill. Like I know i have the knowledge, but the idea that i might turn a thousand dollar part into junk cause i made a stupid mistake is what makes me look at premade computers. and honestly the extra cost is so small that it really does feel like your saving yourself time and trouble (to buy a prefab) compared to if you were to do it all yourself. As long as the place you buy your prefab from is reliable and has what you want, its worth it.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

You’d be surprised…

Thanks to the Internet, today's PC building troubleshooting is so much easier than the days when you were building your own 286. Then again, today's technologies allowed my wife to convince me to build this.

SW_PC.jpg

I mean, they even give you cable trays and straps instead of using tape and zip ties.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Are...are those Star Wars figures in your PC case?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

How else do you get the red sith glow inside?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Ultimate combination of PC and hoarding collecting.

But yes, those are action figures in my PC case. I figured why just leave them on the outside like I normally do.

Edit: My wife has Lego creations in hers, so I essentially copied her. Just not as creative.

Edit #2: I need to clarify that I have the artistic talent of a typical Engineer. Which is to say not much at all.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That is genius level, @Betsuni . Love it!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have been playing Inscryption and I think it's delightful. It's very uncomfortable and spoopy but delightful.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The power of The Dark Side gives your rig an extra 15 frames per second.

• Options
    4YuxjTp.jpeg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

You’d be surprised…

That beautiful moment when it's all assembled, shiny and new, standing there looking glorious and ready to bring you countless hours of entertainment and productivity...

And you reach over, press the power button and marvel as...

Nothing happens.

That happened to me.

Turns out turning on all of the power switches from the wall to the power supply helps.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Is it possible to learn this power?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Anno 1404 - History Edition is free to keep from Ubisoft Connect PC until December 14th at 6am (your local time).

l1by7mve4orf.jpg

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Not from Apple.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Century: Age of Ashes is out and

Flying dragons is really fun!

Also, dragon eggs as random drops that you then complete quests to raise to adulthood for flying in to battle is like, the best thing.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Calescent wrote: »
    Anno 1404 - History Edition is free to keep from Ubisoft Connect PC until December 14th at 6am (your local time).

Maybe I should try an Anno game one of these days, apparently I have four of them - 1404 (now, cheers Calescent), 1602, 1701 and 2070.

• Options
    @emnmnme why you gotta call me out like that? :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Sorry for the late post, Been caught up in Endwalker. A huge thank you to @Antoshka for Deathloop for "Not Quite Almost Xmas Time" and @Viking for Flashback because "Rules are meant to be broken" <3<3<3 Thank you both so much!

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    emnmnme why you gotta call me out like that? :lol:

8ureycva7l54.png

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular

From the scale, I'd say one of them is a Spaceballs figure.
    3nrn6s7lecet.gif

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Thank you @The_Spaniard for Masquerada! The masks in the game are Venetian-inspired which brings up good memories of all the beautiful crafts I saw in Venice... last millennium, so I already have a fond feeling for the game before even playing it.

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    7rxbxu55qgww.png

@chuck steak sent me this amazing adorable looking builder! Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The formerly worst translated shmup of all time, Shikigami 2 is on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556650/Castle_of_Shikigami_2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WUol3XLyw
    (PS2 edition, to compare)

And what better time than a script comparison, since I'm literally the only one who cares about this silly game's plot:
    hld3ygsdyt2v.png
    p06k71pw0ava.png

They REALLY outdid themselves on the Aja Bros.
    jnz005wklnno.png3jjwosry03o2.png

Top 5! (for now)
    i57jea9man7l.png

xr2wq6gumvvf.png
    (Jealous much?)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

l1by7mve4orf.jpg

This (when it was Dawn of Discovery) and Kingdoms of Amalur were probably the last two games I purchased physical PC copies for.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Maybe I should try an Anno game one of these days, apparently I have four of them - 1404 (now, cheers Calescent), 1602, 1701 and 2070.

Anno 2070 is really fun.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I have been playing Inscryption and I think it's delightful. It's very uncomfortable and spoopy but delightful.

I loved it until the second part. it just looses all of its creepiness changing the art style like that.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, I'd like to know where there is a fresh batch of unprotected younglings as well. It's not like high end graphics cards have gotten easier to find lately.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Any fellow Deathloopers figured out the Updaam
    safe combo? The first combination is pretty much laid out with the triangle already there, but the others...I found the numbers, of course, but there are only two Bad Luck Mary plaques, so there's no three-combo there. I could of course brute force it, but I think there's a puzzle element to this that I'm just not getting?
    I'd appreciate hints instead of solutions <3 (which is why I don't google my Deathloop questions)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png