We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

RIP PAX South

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    I continue to miss you guys. Maybe it'll bounce back post pandemic?

Nah that post says implies it was already on the chopping block even before covid because it wasn’t growing.

I'm guessing your hope would be better placed on a new PAX Midwest in some geographically appropriate Blue state.
    But, with 4 PAXes still running, who knows how likely firing up a 5th again is.

Downtown St. Louis is kind of sucky. Not as cool as San Antonio or Seattle.
    San Antonio had a good amount of fun places to go.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    I continue to miss you guys. Maybe it'll bounce back post pandemic?

Nah that post says implies it was already on the chopping block even before covid because it wasn’t growing.

I'm guessing your hope would be better placed on a new PAX Midwest in some geographically appropriate Blue state.
    But, with 4 PAXes still running, who knows how likely firing up a 5th again is.

Downtown St. Louis is kind of sucky. Not as cool as San Antonio or Seattle.
    San Antonio had a good amount of fun places to go.

Hard disagree. Downtown St. Louis has plenty of good options, even if San Antonio or Seattle are preferable convention sites overall.

That said, I don't think a new PAX to replace South is terribly likely. And there are other possible sites that would be better. But St. Louis would be a totally fine site for a con.

I always liked this deli at San Antonio.
    https://g.page/Schilos?share

edited November 2021
    I don't know if downtown St. Louis is that safe. St. Louis has a problem with gun violence, but that is usually North St. Louis and East St. Louis.
    The problem is that there really are not any cool attractions within walking distance. There are restaurants.
    Here is a map of the convention center.
    https://goo.gl/maps/r7P5NB2EnWd4Bj1x5

There is the old courthouse and the arch, but that is a good walk.

Krathoon on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah Schilo's is an institution. I remember visiting San Antonio with my family like, 25 years ago and that was one of the places my dad wanted to hit.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I stopped in there randomly for lunch when I didn't have much else going on, it might have been one of the times where I wasn't able to fly out until like Tuesday or something.

Oh. There is a Hooters in downtown St. Louis.

Here is a Missouri Retro Gaming convention for next April.
    https://fancons.com/events/info/17353/como-retro-game-convention-2022

Yeah Schilo's is an institution. I remember visiting San Antonio with my family like, 25 years ago and that was one of the places my dad wanted to hit.

Yeah. There is is this meal deal that has a sandwich, homemade root beer, and split pea soup. Unfortunately, the last time I was there, I had to eat at the bar.

I never did the True Dungeon at PAX South. I found it stupid that you had to pay extra for it. That should have been part of the badge cost.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    We did the intro thing they did the year before it was there for realsies and while some of the construction of the rooms was very neat, their entire business structure skeeved me right the fuck out.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I don't know what that "True Dungeon" claims to encompass, but I immediately challenge it.

I offered the only "true dungeon" of PAX-South

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Southtown is gonna miss us

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

At least I can be happy that my last sight of Southtown was the gruff, grizzled looking security guy tucking his little Chihuahua in on the couch in a blanket, both of them wearing matching leather jackets

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

And I will miss its burgers

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The True Dungeon is the Denny's across the street from the convention hall before 9am.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The True Dungeon is the Denny's across the street from the convention hall before 9am.

Or after 9pm.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I will not miss that Denny's. All it did was reaffirm my longstanding grudge with the chain.

steam_sig.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

And the Springhill Suites will not

Karaoke will miss Flat Jimmy

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Karaoke will miss Flat Jimmy

Meanwhile if I were to step foot in that establishment again I would be attacked like something out of a John Wick film.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg

And the Springhill Suites will not

I always stayed at the hotel next door. I have never seen one hotel attached to another like that.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Ah Southtown, the only bar I've been cut off at, despite carrying people out of other ones at other PAXes. I am still offended. I hope whatever bottle of rumple minze they have behind the bar there now stays there forever and becomes entombed in dust.

Trivia, burgers, best butt competitions, a dicey takeout place across the way and street meat in the parking lot. It had it all.

Nothing. Matters.
    Anybody go to Dave and Buster's in the mall? It was actually pretty good.
    Now, it looks like the mall has an aquarium.

There are so many good places to eat in that area that the idea of going to Dave and Busters feels incredibly wrong

edited November 2021
    Maddoc wrote: »
    There are so many good places to eat in that area that the idea of going to Dave and Busters feels incredibly wrong

I went there late at night. Pretty big crowd.
    I got a Bananas Foster to go.

I never did go up that tower next to the convention center.

Krathoon on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

I went to the Fuddrucker's last time I was at PAX South, because all the ones near me are closed.
    It tasted like being a kid again.
    Of course, now that one is closed too, and PAX South is done.

edited November 2021
    Fuddruckers was my favored lunching spot

And Fuddbucker my favored eldritch nightmare

Madican on
    edited November 2021
    There was also a chocolatier shop that I missed going to the last time I was there.

I think I missed the keynote when I was there in 2019. Not certain why I did that.
    I bet I didn't get there early enough or it started earlier or something.
    https://youtu.be/UVW0jg6xbSI

I am always amazed at how much shit I miss when going to these. It is impossible to see everything.

Krathoon on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    We did the intro thing they did the year before it was there for realsies and while some of the construction of the rooms was very neat, their entire business structure skeeved me right the fuck out.

I just looked this up, read through it, and jeezum crow I cannot underemphasized that they turned fantasy LARP into a gacha game

Mortal Sky wrote: »

I just looked this up, read through it, and jeezum crow I cannot underemphasized that they turned fantasy LARP into a gacha game

Also going by what I read of the experience on the Discord one person can absolutely just ninja loot all the treasure

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There's plenty of other conventions in Texas over the summer, could always repurpose one of those as a meet-up.

uyvfOQy.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I've been in San Antonio for a summer conference before. It was over 100 degrees every day and hopefully the closest I'll ever come to hell on earth.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    There's plenty of other conventions in Texas over the summer, could always repurpose one of those as a meet-up.

Let's all go get fucked up at DragonCon

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Madican wrote: »
    Fuddruckers was my favored lunching spot

And Fuddbucker my favored eldritch nightmare

I used to love them, but it looks like the pandemic claimed the last one in the Chicago area...

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Let's all go get fucked up at DragonCon

as long as I never have to leave an air-conditioned area i'm in. early september in atlanta isn't the worst thing I can imagine, but it's pretty fuckin close

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, as much as it was placed near east and magfest and what not there's a reason they picked everyone to come to Texas in January.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    As the resident Canadian I would goddamn melt

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well you don't want to come in the winter, because we probably won't have power...

uyvfOQy.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    DragonCon and PAX West are almost always the same weekend, so... I love Atlanta but that pretty much has always precluded that.