We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

RIP PAX South

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Krathoon on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’m still salty that this will never happen again.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Didn't SE++ used to do a meetup in like...a lakehouse in Alabama? Did I dream that? There was a BBQ Pit.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Way back there was FloPAX at Disney World

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Sitting in the San Antonio airport waiting to fly back home after a week here with my wife and kids. Masks were still required on the way here, but we're literally the only ones at this gate wearing them now. Oh well.

It was nice to be back, but not the same without everyone else from South. I did get to stop by Southtown 101 and have a burger in the patio area for old times sake though. It feels like half of downtown San Antonio is under construction right now, especially the roads and the outskirts of the Alamo.

@The Lovely Bastard I walked past Hooters many times, but didn't stop in. There's a new Sugar Factory going in right next-door - not in place of Margaritaville, the other side. I mention it because their signs have huge pictures of Pitbull and Snoop, and it really added to the feel for now.

@Aphostile B&D Icehouse is no more. It has been replaced by a bar.

@Virgil_Leads_You Madhatter's is also gone, replaced by a bar. Articles about it say it wasn't a pandemic casualty, but planned retirement of the owners. Still disappointing to not be able to stop in and sad to see it go.

Big Bang Karaoke/One Pocha is still around, but wasn't part of this trip.

Everybody else wanted to go to bed early one night, so I went out in search of a dive bar with outdoor seating. Headed east from the old Springhill Suites (now with Texas-shaped waffles at breakfast) towards a spot that looked good online and as I passed under the highway I started hearing a lot of crowd noise and saw people streaming into an outdoor stage area from all directions. Got a little closer and recognized Whatever You Like playing. Was very confused until I asked someone and it turned out T.I. was there playing a concert for the anniversary party of a bbq joint and bar right there. Stuck around and enjoyed the random experience for a little bit before moving on to the dive bar.

Got there and there was only one other customer and a bartender who looked like he wanted to be somewhere else on 4/20. Had a couple of very good, nicely cheap cocktails while contemplating what it felt like to be utterly loathed by the only person working there. It felt like old times with @Goose! at Denny's and I really wish I could head back there with folks sometime.

It was nice to be here with my kids and be able to enjoy a vacation where we could do almost everything outdoors, including meals. I wasn't expecting to feel a little tinge of sadness every time I went by somewhere I associated with everyone from South though. Good trip, but very bittersweet.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Time for PAX North in Minneapolis!

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Time for PAX Actual North in Canada somewhere!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    @ketar i cannot believe you didn't have a party for your kids at hooters during lunch

7656367.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    It at least sounds like the Icehouse was transformed in honour of and with the blessing of the original owners (the B&D in the name stood for Bruno and Diane)

https://saheron.com/bd-ice-house-brunos-dive-bar/

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited April 2022
    Elaro wrote: »

Still meaning to plan another one of these, but with the BA2 wave got sidetracked

We'll have to see what's up once things chill out a little here

I am not beyond selfishly planning a birthday PAX

Cello on
    Steam
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I probably won’t do another PAX, sadly. It was tough enough to make the trip once a year with four kids and two jobs when it was just a five hour drive. I have no earthly clue how we go anywhere further.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm still down for a new PAX "South" even if it's just board games, gabbing, and chilling out.

That’s all the official one was anyway 😛

That’s all the official one was anyway 😛

Don't forget the foodventures and karaoke

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Oh, I completely forgot. We went to the Pearl one night and @Tofystedeth I completely understand now why you would go there for the ramen place every year. Their ramen was quite good and so was the karaage.

Is there an apatite for a Southern PAX meetup? I'd love to organize one.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

PAX ANTARCTICA

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

PAX ANTARCTICA

that's just pax south again...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

PAX ANTARCTICA

... Wrong pole...

And before you ask, no, we can't do PAX Arctic. Not enough dry land.

Children's rights are human rights.
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Didn't SE++ used to do a meetup in like...a lakehouse in Alabama? Did I dream that? There was a BBQ Pit.

So I dug up some posts that Stale threw a meetup in Marietta together....Did....Did Stale die?

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    It at least sounds like the Icehouse was transformed in honour of and with the blessing of the original owners (the B&D in the name stood for Bruno and Diane)

https://saheron.com/bd-ice-house-brunos-dive-bar/

That’s really great they can keep up the tradition.

Honestly, I’m sad I have no major reason to revisit San Antonio. It was a great memory from y’all.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Man, seeing PAX East stuff this weekend really made me miss it. This thread returning is icing on that.

I really hope they do try again in the South somewhere. New Mexico gives off pretty chill vibes. Dunno what their convention center options are.

Or Midwest PAX. Just not in January.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Oh, I completely forgot. We went to the Pearl one night and Tofystedeth I completely understand now why you would go there for the ramen place every year. Their ramen was quite good and so was the karaage.

That's actually not the ramen place I hit, I went to Kimura, which was on Pecan and St Mary's, so just just about 10-15 walk from the con. Though it looks like they moved a couple miles northwest since then.

steam_sig.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The belgian waffle and chocolate place near the alamo closed and moved out to the burbs :(

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

There’s a big hole in the video game convention calendar in early June.

Just sayin’

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Man, seeing PAX East stuff this weekend really made me miss it. This thread returning is icing on that.

I really hope they do try again in the South somewhere. New Mexico gives off pretty chill vibes. Dunno what their convention center options are.

Vegas would be the slam dunk easy pick.

Vegas would be fantastic for me. Instead of being my connecting flight it just is my flight.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    me? in sin city??

7656367.jpg
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Yeah ok I'd go to Vegas with you degenerates

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    as they say, all roads lead to vegas. i'm in.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The belgian waffle and chocolate place near the alamo closed and moved out to the burbs :(

no more mirror-based concussions for us I guess

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    It would actually be easier for me to drive to Vegas then fly. Time for a road trip from AZ?

Edit: We'll just do our own PAX South with blackjack and hookers.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    me? in sin city??
    Living that LA to Vegas lifestyle.

sig.gif
    I’ve seen how this goes, and it involves traveling through bat country

I uh

I would be down for Vegas PAX if things are less on fire

Steam
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Vegas PAX would be dangerous and I would be totally there for it. Not sure it would ever happen (I think a Midwest PAX is more likely) but we'll see. At a minimum it'll be a year or two.

I like the idea of getting a house somewhere and doing a long weekend of board games, booze, and too much food. But I don't know if that would appeal to anyone else in our advancing age.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    If we wanna make this a real bad idea real fast this time next month AEW has a PPV in Vegas.

Who doesn’t want to be around thousands of unmasked wrestling fans right now?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I like the idea of getting a house somewhere and doing a long weekend of board games, booze, and too much food. But I don't know if that would appeal to anyone else in our advancing age.

I would rather do something like renting a whole bunch of bungalows with a shared common courtyard area type thing because I don’t like sharing space with people because I am basically the world’s fattest bobcat.