We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

RIP PAX South

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I like the idea of getting a house somewhere and doing a long weekend of board games, booze, and too much food. But I don't know if that would appeal to anyone else in our advancing age.

I would rather do something like renting a whole bunch of bungalows with a shared common courtyard area type thing because I don’t like sharing space with people because I am basically the world’s fattest bobcat.

I like the idea of a giant house and everyone just coming into the living room like it's christmas with the family but also we're at a beach and all day drinking.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Nevada has many things but a beach seems unlikely to be one of them.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Nevada is all sand. Just pretend it's a beach 600 miles long.

Heffling wrote: »

Sometimes there's rock too. Carlsbad Caverns

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If we did VegasPAX (aka SinPAX), I would dress exclusively like Keanu Reeves in The Bad Batch:

Bad-Batch-Keanu.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular

uhhh the caverns are located in an entirely different state which also has much better beach analog sands

zkHcp.jpg
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Well, if somehow California just ups and disappears, it will be.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    oh if i go to this thing, ya'll get twenty percent of my attention max.

this is bad decisions heaven
    Zonugal wrote: »
    If we did VegasPAX (aka SinPAX), I would dress exclusively like Keanu Reeves in The Bad Batch:

Bad-Batch-Keanu.jpg

this is just one step removed from a mcpoyle. i'm onto you.

7656367.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    oh if i go to this thing, ya'll get twenty percent of my attention max.

this is bad decisions heaven

Bad-Batch-Keanu.jpg

this is just one step removed from a mcpoyle. i'm onto you.

Just one tall glass of hot milk away.

Kadith wrote: »

uhhh the caverns are located in an entirely different state which also has much better beach analog sands

Huh, I thought they were part of Nevada. Been about two decades since that big road trip as a kid. Went to Zion first then worked down through a bunch of other places to end at Carlsbad before coming home.

Neat caverns.

I'm not opposed to Vegas, but i don't think Nevada is what comes to mind when I think of the South.

Seattle isn't the first place I think of when I hear West either

But it makes sense for PAX Prime since that's where PA is based.

My suggestion for a southern town with great food, beautiful scenery, and a cheap off season? New Orleans.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

You're thinking of New Mexico.

You're thinking of New Mexico.

Yes so I've been told already

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This year is a little messy for me in terms of ability to travel plan tbh, on account of moving in a big way

And then by the time I'm settled in to the new digs I have a cross-country Wasteland Weekend jaunt taking up my September

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Vegas might be too classy for this crew

Reno seems more like our speed

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Vegas might be too classy for this crew

Reno seems more like our speed

I don't wanna go to Reno

Someone might shoot me for no good reason

Children's rights are human rights.
    Vegas has the buffets

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Vegas has the buffets

The time I went there for work and was alone at the Wicked Spoon when brunch changed over to lunch was the highlight of my career

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I caught the changeover at the Ceasar's Palace buffet the one time I went to Vegas and it was definitely the right choice. It felt like cheating.

steam_sig.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Vegas buffets are so stupid, I love them.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Bad-Batch-Keanu.jpg

Why does he look like Fred Durst there?

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2021%2F08%2F10%2FGettyImages-1331697901.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
    Honestly when the suggestion was made to have a PAX South at Vegas I initially disliked the idea and proceeded to have the following conversation with myself, metaphorically.

Me: Vegas? Ehhh. I'm not really into gambling and I definitely don't drink alcohol. Maybe the big arcade and Coke store I remember as a kid? If they're even still there.
    Also me: Hold up, doesn't Vegas have those really wild buffets that range in selection and price but are almost all universally good?
    Me: Like I was saying, viva Las Vegas, when do we go?

Vegas also has, like, a rollercoaster at the top of a building, a ton of shows to go to, lots of rentable space to run a thing should the desire to do so arise, and it's a fairly warm winter destination.

edited April 2022
    Uh, do be aware that Vegas is situated in a desert like most (all?) of Nevada and desert does not mean "always warm". I lived in the Mojave Desert once upon a time and every occasion someone said Southern California is all temperate in winter I chattered for them to bite my frozen ass as I tried to keep my fingers from stiffening huddled underneath a large fleece blanket.

Deserts don't retain heat very well at all. Soon as night falls that's when the cold comes, unless it's during direct summer when there was just so much ambient heat it can't bleed off fast enough.

Madican on
    Uh, do be aware that Vegas is situated in a desert like most (all?) of Nevada and desert does not mean "always warm". I lived in the Mojave Desert once upon a time and every occasion someone said Southern California is all temperate in winter I chattered for them to bite my frozen ass as I tried to keep my fingers from stiffening huddled underneath a large fleece blanket.

Deserts don't retain heat very well at all. Soon as night falls that's when the cold comes, unless it's during direct summer when there was just so much ambient heat it can't bleed off fast enough.

I live in a desert. I can tell you the desert is a lot warmer during the winter than Boston or New York or Wisconsin or Canada.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I live in a desert. I can tell you the desert is a lot warmer during the winter than Boston or New York or Wisconsin or Canada.

Yeah but this is cold comfort to people who aren't inured to those temperatures

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    heh, cold comfort

Good to know even semi-lucid I can make puns

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

I’m from Vegas.

The summers were 110+. My kindle melted last time I was there visiting family and sitting by the pool. The evenings really only sink into the 90s.

The winters can get into the 30s.

Nothing. Matters.
    Aphostile wrote: »

I’m from Vegas.

The summers were 110+. My kindle melted last time I was there visiting family and sitting by the pool. The evenings really only sink into the 90s.

The winters can get into the 30s.

So Mojave does get colder then. Worst winter I think we hit 15 or something. Summer's always been a scorcher, but Vegas has it beat with 110+ even though 105+ is still "fuck the daystar praise the AC" territory.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

My understanding is that this is largely due to the low humidity of the desert environment. The drier air doesn't hold onto heat nearly as well as humid air.
    But, with the various water attractions, pools, fountains, gardens and what not in Vegas, the humidity is high enough to alter the local environment to the point where cold desert nights aren't really a thing. I'd imagine that the miles of pavement also absorbs and radiates heat far better than loose sand as well.

But, I'm no ecologist.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Vegas in the summer just sounds like a bad idea in general.

sig.gif
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Vegas as a concept doesn’t make sense. Why did they settle there at all? It’s a terrible place that actively doesn’t want you there.

Nothing. Matters.
    Aphostile wrote: »

Vegas as a concept doesn’t make sense. Why did they settle there at all? It’s a terrible place that actively doesn’t want you there.

See: Phoenix

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Dry desert heat is surprisingly tolerable as long as you stay hydrated, but yeah once you get up to 100+ I don't care how dry it is that shit sucks.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Vegas also has, like, a rollercoaster at the top of a building, a ton of shows to go to, lots of rentable space to run a thing should the desire to do so arise, and it's a fairly warm winter destination.

The only rollercoasters left are the ones at the Circus Circus thing and the horrible, horrible taxi-themed one at New York, New York. The one at the top of the Stratosphere was removed a couple of years ago to make way for more rides that dangle you out over the side.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Ketar wrote: »
    Sitting in the San Antonio airport waiting to fly back home after a week here with my wife and kids. Masks were still required on the way here, but we're literally the only ones at this gate wearing them now. Oh well.

It was nice to be back, but not the same without everyone else from South. I did get to stop by Southtown 101 and have a burger in the patio area for old times sake though. It feels like half of downtown San Antonio is under construction right now, especially the roads and the outskirts of the Alamo.

"The Lovely Bastard" I walked past Hooters many times, but didn't stop in. There's a new Sugar Factory going in right next-door - not in place of Margaritaville, the other side. I mention it because their signs have huge pictures of Pitbull and Snoop, and it really added to the feel for now.

Aphostile B&D Icehouse is no more. It has been replaced by a bar.

Virgil_Leads_You Madhatter's is also gone, replaced by a bar. Articles about it say it wasn't a pandemic casualty, but planned retirement of the owners. Still disappointing to not be able to stop in and sad to see it go.

Big Bang Karaoke/One Pocha is still around, but wasn't part of this trip.

Everybody else wanted to go to bed early one night, so I went out in search of a dive bar with outdoor seating. Headed east from the old Springhill Suites (now with Texas-shaped waffles at breakfast) towards a spot that looked good online and as I passed under the highway I started hearing a lot of crowd noise and saw people streaming into an outdoor stage area from all directions. Got a little closer and recognized Whatever You Like playing. Was very confused until I asked someone and it turned out T.I. was there playing a concert for the anniversary party of a bbq joint and bar right there. Stuck around and enjoyed the random experience for a little bit before moving on to the dive bar.

Got there and there was only one other customer and a bartender who looked like he wanted to be somewhere else on 4/20. Had a couple of very good, nicely cheap cocktails while contemplating what it felt like to be utterly loathed by the only person working there. It felt like old times with "Goose!" at Denny's and I really wish I could head back there with folks sometime.

It was nice to be here with my kids and be able to enjoy a vacation where we could do almost everything outdoors, including meals. I wasn't expecting to feel a little tinge of sadness every time I went by somewhere I associated with everyone from South though. Good trip, but very bittersweet.

I appreciate the update on the city.
    Think that time we got to hang out there was special.
    Nice the owners of Madhatters got to retire.

VayBJ4e.png