As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chicken [Coup]

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Yeah no, if you are standing before congress and they are asking you questions that aren’t self incriminating and on topic then you answer them.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Bannon's Court date for contempt set for July 18, so it looks like he will successfully wait out needing to testify

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows refusing to appear for deposition with Jan. 6 committee
    Mark Meadows, the former chief of staff in the Trump White House, will no longer fully cooperate with the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection, according to a letter his attorney sent to the committee Tuesday morning that was obtained by The Washington Post.

“Over the last several weeks, Mr. Meadows has consistently sought in good faith to pursue an accommodation with the Select Committee and up until yesterday we believed that could be obtained,” Meadows’s attorney, George Terwilliger III, wrote in the letter.

The committee said last week that Meadows had produced records to the committee and would soon appear for an initial deposition. At the time, Terwilliger said Meadows wanted to reach an agreement with the committee that would not require him to waive executive privilege “or to forfeit the long-standing position that senior White House aides cannot be compelled to testify before Congress.”

The committee held firm on not letting him claim shit like executive privilege. I hope a warrant goes out for him soon.

Hey Mark, you're no longer a senior White House aide.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    the communist party declared its intent to violently overthrow the US.
    You, of course, have a source for that?

I was reading Standford review on the subject of disbarring for invoking 5th amendment rights from 1956.

Regardless of whether or not it’s true it’s the ostensible reason for disbarment. And I might go further to say that if it’s true then it’s reasonable to be disbarred for it

But whether or not the statement about the communist party is (or was) literally true doesn’t actually matter. Which is why I had the foot note explaining such

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    /sigh

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bannon's Court date for contempt set for July 18, so it looks like he will successfully wait out needing to testify

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/judge-sets-july-date-steve-bannon-s-contempt-congress-trial-n1285542
    "Judge sets July date for Steve Bannon's contempt of Congress trial"
    Bannon's lawyers said the case presents novel issues involving executive privilege. They said the trial should not begin until mid-October and would likely take at least ten days.
    I bet they fucking did. Second week of November too on the nose?

Yeah, we're done here. Unless there's a fucking miracle and the Democrats retains the House, noone is going to face any consequence for telling a Democratic House to suck it. Because there's almost a certainty Bannon's lawyers will delay this, or at least try to, this case is absolutely the most clear-cut (Bannon wasn't a fucking WH employee for YEARS before the insurrection), and anyone else is likely to have an even later date.

I get crossing T's and dotting I's, but this is just bullshit, and I honestly don't know how the fuck you turn this shit around.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    An interesting Read. Doesn't seem to be paywalled.

It talks about the lead up to 2024 and how the right is shoring up their positions to not repeat the failures of 2020 and early 2021.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/01/january-6-insurrection-trump-coup-2024-election/620843/

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Thanks for the link, but for the sake of my own mental health, I probably won't be reading it. :(

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thanks for the link, but for the sake of my own mental health, I probably won't be reading it. :(

Don't blame you there, its fucking dark.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    fwiw I was seeing the same articles in 2019

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Don't blame you there, its fucking dark.

Honestly? I'm learning not to read the political threads too late anymore here. It's starting to give me nightmares.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Raw Story: 'Get them ready now': Matt Gaetz and Steve Bannon discuss plan to take over government with 'shock troops'
    Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) on Thursday talked with conservative broadcaster Steve Bannon about a plan to use "4,000 shock troops" to take over the jobs of federal government employees.

Bannon has previously said that the so-called "shock troops" need to be prepared prior to Republican control of the executive branch.

"People didn't like that Donald Trump raised his voice but sometimes you've got to raise your voice to raise a ruckus and to raise an army of patriots who love this country and will fight for her," Gaetz said on Bannon's War Room program. "We're going to operationalize the performance to go right after the people who are imposing the vaccine mandates, who are enriching themselves and who are selling out the country."

"Understand, this is a theory of governing," Bannon agreed. "It's fresh and it's new. This is Trumpism in power. That's when we went to the 4,000 shock troops we have to have that's going to man the government. Get them ready now. Right? We're going to hit the beach with the landing teams and the beachhead teams and all that nomenclature they use when President Trump wins in 2024 -- or before."

These people should be in prison, this is ridiculous.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Famed drug taker and machete enthusiast Robert Evans has a new podcast out about 1/6 that's probably worth checking out.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-the-assault-on-america-89951738/

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Raw Story: 'Get them ready now': Matt Gaetz and Steve Bannon discuss plan to take over government with 'shock troops'
    Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) on Thursday talked with conservative broadcaster Steve Bannon about a plan to use "4,000 shock troops" to take over the jobs of federal government employees.

Bannon has previously said that the so-called "shock troops" need to be prepared prior to Republican control of the executive branch.

"People didn't like that Donald Trump raised his voice but sometimes you've got to raise your voice to raise a ruckus and to raise an army of patriots who love this country and will fight for her," Gaetz said on Bannon's War Room program. "We're going to operationalize the performance to go right after the people who are imposing the vaccine mandates, who are enriching themselves and who are selling out the country."

"Understand, this is a theory of governing," Bannon agreed. "It's fresh and it's new. This is Trumpism in power. That's when we went to the 4,000 shock troops we have to have that's going to man the government. Get them ready now. Right? We're going to hit the beach with the landing teams and the beachhead teams and all that nomenclature they use when President Trump wins in 2024 -- or before."

They're dumb people cosplaying smart people and it makes the whole thing somehow even more infuriating.

edit: referring to bolded in quote

Calica on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I mean let's not be grammar nazis, but 'Shock Troops' is no the term that you use for the people you plan to use to replace bureaucrats.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There’s a time Gaetz and Bannon would have been tarred and feathered over that kind of seditious talk.

We’re more enlightened now; they should just have to have a side of spit in every meal.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I mean let's not be grammar nazis, but 'Shock Troops' is no the term that you use for the people you plan to use to replace bureaucrats.

No, that's just regular Nazis.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It talks about the lead up to 2024 and how the right is shoring up their positions to not repeat the failures of 2020 and early 2021.

We're seeing more and more of this every day now. Candidate for Governor David Perdue stated today that he would not have certified Georgia's election results. They're barely even bothering to claim election fraud anymore, it's a fascist race to the bottom.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

They're dumb people cosplaying smart people and it makes the whole thing somehow even more infuriating.

edit: referring to bolded in quote

Literally dumbshit Matt ripping off Halo 2 : ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper) is the icing on these fucking Shitgibbon's takes.

• Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    Trump knows appeals as well as he knows steak

"A federal appeals court Thursday ruled against former President Donald Trump in his effort to block his White House records from being released to the House select committee investigating January 6."

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

"A federal appeals court Thursday ruled against former President Donald Trump in his effort to block his White House records from being released to the House select committee investigating January 6."

Burnt to leather and slathered with ketchup?

"However, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals paused its ruling for two weeks so that Trump could seek a Supreme Court intervention."

That's what this was always going to be about. In two weeks, SCOTUS maybe does some shadowdocket bullshit, or more likely takes it up extending the stay, then sits on it until it passes the point it'll matter.

I mean, I don't discount them doing the correct thing either, because they're not beholden to Trump as much as he wants to believe. But I've also given up hope that "doing the correct thing" is the default for this SCOTUS.

And every delay is a win for Trump.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"However, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals paused its ruling for two weeks so that Trump could seek a Supreme Court intervention."

That's what this was always going to be about. In two weeks, SCOTUS maybe does some shadowdocket bullshit, or more likely takes it up extending the stay, then sits on it until it passes the point it'll matter.

I mean, I don't discount them doing the correct thing either, because they're not beholden to Trump as much as he wants to believe. But I've also given up hope that "doing the correct thing" is the default for this SCOTUS.

The court system simply isn't capable of handling political crime issues at this point. It's too fucking slow and displays zero awareness of the need for speedy decisions.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The court system simply isn't capable of handling political crime issues at this point. It's too fucking slow and displays zero awareness of the need for speedy decisions.

One might almost think that's by design.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

The court system is too slow in general. People can be left hanging for years, which is why most places are moving to easier bail, because you could easily get a 2 year sentence just waiting for a trial.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

The court system is too slow in general. People can be left hanging for years, which is why most places are moving to easier bail, because you could easily get a 2 year sentence just waiting for a trial.

Bannon was indicted and bonded out in hours and it's not like there needs to be a massive review of evidence to sustain the charge of contempt when he was OPENLY dodging the Congressional subpoena. I refuse to give the federal judicial system leeway here, there is no excuse for pushing his court date out 8 fucking months.

There is no logical explanation for this beyond kicking the can down the road and I don't give a shit what any twitter lawyer says.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Reuters wrote:
    Police bodycam video recorded on Jan. 4, 2021, shows Trevian Kutti, a publicist for hip-hop artist Kanye West, telling a Georgia election worker who former President Trump falsely accused of manipulating votes that she was in imminent danger https://reut.rs/3pLXr6t

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The courts hearing the misdemeane

Steve Bannon effectively does not exist in the same justice system as those on Riker's waiting for their hearing on a misdemeanor.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Today in what the actual hell
    https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/kanye-west-publicist-pressed-georgia-election-worker-confess-bogus-fraud-charges-2021-12-10/
    Weeks after the 2020 election, a Chicago publicist for hip-hop artist Kanye West traveled to the suburban home of Ruby Freeman, a frightened Georgia election worker who was facing death threats after being falsely accused by former President Donald Trump of manipulating votes. The publicist knocked on the door and offered to help.

The visitor, Trevian Kutti, gave her name but didn’t say she worked for West, a longtime billionaire friend of Trump. She said she was sent by a “high-profile individual,” whom she didn’t identify, to give Freeman an urgent message: confess to Trump’s voter-fraud allegations, or people would come to her home in 48 hours, and she’d go to jail.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Kanye continues to be a garbage person. Noted.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Does he still have a billion+ dollars?

qed

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Does he still have a billion+ dollars?

qed

Kanye could be worth a trillion dollars and he still wouldn't feel like A Real Boy inside

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I guess he really is a black skinhead.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Bannon was indicted and bonded out in hours and it's not like there needs to be a massive review of evidence to sustain the charge of contempt when he was OPENLY dodging the Congressional subpoena. I refuse to give the federal judicial system leeway here, there is no excuse for pushing his court date out 8 fucking months.

There is no logical explanation for this beyond kicking the can down the road and I don't give a shit what any twitter lawyer says.

It's just as likely in the rich-people-with-real-lawyers system that this timeline is normal and the problem is the federal judiciaries unwillingness to speed things up to accommodate the actual political process.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    This is again, of course, why pre-clearance was written into the VRA. Because the people writing the law understood the issue with timelines that made the courts useless.

shryke on
  • Options
    I don't think there's a better example out there for how easy right wing terrorists get treated in the justice system.
    Pennsylvania Man Who Planted Explosives After BLM Protest Sentenced to Probation, Thanks to Judge Who Was Convinced ‘He Had a Breakdown’

Dude planted 3 bombs around the site of a BLM protest. Anyone else but him is probably looking at a long time, if not life, in prison. But this guy gets to walk out of jail after 18 months for time served and 3 years of probation. Crazily enough the prosecutors were only asking or 2.5 to 3 years in prison to begin with.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pennsylvania-man-planted-explosives-blm-190100238.html

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    That's not a punishment, that's permission.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    How much explosive force would those things have had? I can’t find the specs on the large ones, but small OC grenades only carry 1.5 oz (I’m guessing the large ones are either 2.5 or 5, since those are the two most common state limits), and I don’t think they can aerosol, once spent. I’m wondering if his lawyer’s argument that he didn’t mean to hurt anyone was just lipstick on the pig of incompetence.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I’m sure that if an unbalanced black BLM protestor had done the same, they’d be looking at 20-30 years.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I’m sure that if an unbalanced black BLM protestor had done the same, they’d be looking at 20-30 years.

Wrong axis. They'd be looking at a unit of length, specifically 6 feet down.

• Options
    How much explosive force would those things have had? I can’t find the specs on the large ones, but small OC grenades only carry 1.5 oz (I’m guessing the large ones are either 2.5 or 5, since those are the two most common state limits), and I don’t think they can aerosol, once spent. I’m wondering if his lawyer’s argument that he didn’t mean to hurt anyone was just lipstick on the pig of incompetence.

Hard to say. He took old pepper spray cans, filled them with gasoline, and then sealed them with expanding foam with an inserted wick. From what I've seen in the news reports it doesn't sound like there was a timer or any other kind of device to set them off. And even if there was, it's doubtful the foam would have sealed the cans enough to even pressurize. They were basically really badly built molotov cocktails. And I'm sure that played into his sentencing.

However, this was premeditated action, where he spent the night making these things, rode his bike downtown and purposely placed them in the area a BLM protest had occurred. This was domestic terrorism IMO. Even the clueless saps the FBI entrapped into terrorism charges through phony stings were getting prison sentences of 10+ years.

This discussion has been closed.