As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Should we desynth all the belts now?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    might as well if you're not gonna play again until friday

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Over the past weekend I vendored all the belts that I knew would never be used again. Basically only kept my highest level Aiming belt and highest level healing belt for now. And I'll try to remember to have those in my inventory before the game goes down for maintenance.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    What are they changing with belts that would cause people to care?

I'm 3m XP from 80 on my SAM, but I am just starting level 75/76 MSQ stuff for Shadowbringers...doubt I can grind out the rest of the MSQ + patches before Thursday, but I'm going to give it a shot.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Just make sure you are not close to leveling up when the maintenance hits since all the xp values are getting reset to 0.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Belts are going away totally. Any equipped or in your armory chest will be removed and can be collected from the Calamity Salvager. Any on the market board will still be listed but no longer searchable. Any in your assorted inventories will remain for you to sell to NPC or turn in for GC points.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The only exception to the belt rule will be the haste belts you can get from Pagos, which youll be able to turnin to the salvager for a new, equvalent ring.

• Options
    Just make sure you are not close to leveling up when the maintenance hits since all the xp values are getting reset to 0.

I should be level 80 tonight most likely. I have some other jobs that may be mid level but I'm not overly worried about them. I haven't played anything but SAM seriously for a while.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Yeah they decided that belts are an inessential piece of gear and are being removed from the character sheet. The belt tab in the armory chest is being removed from the game, and that inventory space is being reclaimed as unused character data. This is because belts don't have any glamour associated with them and they're just a stats-only slot, which already exists in rings, bracelets, and necklaces, so they're a bit redundant.

I believe a while ago YoshiP said that they are going to add a new row to the ring page in the armory chest, and keep the remainder of the reclaimed space in reserve for future use.

I do not know anything about how data management works or why the data budget is so tight per character. Seems like in 2021 that would be a pretty easy hurdle to overcome, but I guess not. Memory allocation is tight, and they didn't want to immediately reallocate that memory to something else.

I guess the thing I don't understand is how can something like the mount collection and minion collection continue to grow, and they can add an entirely new section to your logs page for random YoRHA trivia/lore from the Nier raid, but they can't add more space to the armory chest. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not an engineer. The same is true for Glamour Plates and extra space in the Glamour Dresser. I don't understand why those are hard-capped the way they are, but they can continue to add new stuff with no problems whatsoever to other areas of the game.

• Options
    15 extra ring and weapon slots, and "5 kept in reserve" which is still hilarious to me

• Options
    My guess is that it's an interaction between their server code and database, combined with database architecture decisions that were made years ago, that cause the caps. They are not the first large multiplayer game to have this issue so it feels like it's endemic to the way they are designed. Database cycles are not an infinite resource, especially at scale. A single player could easily represent tens of thousands of rows in the database depending on how they've laid their data model out.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    WoW's backpack being locked to 16(?) slots is a similar issue. Although I think they've said that their issue is from fixed length arrays and pointer arithmetic.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah they decided that belts are an inessential piece of gear and are being removed from the character sheet. The belt tab in the armory chest is being removed from the game, and that inventory space is being reclaimed as unused character data. This is because belts don't have any glamour associated with them and they're just a stats-only slot, which already exists in rings, bracelets, and necklaces, so they're a bit redundant.

Except rings, bracelets, earrings, and necklaces do show up on your character. Belts were the only item with absolutely no visual effect.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I do not know anything about how data management works or why the data budget is so tight per character. Seems like in 2021 that would be a pretty easy hurdle to overcome, but I guess not. Memory allocation is tight, and they didn't want to immediately reallocate that memory to something else.

I guess the thing I don't understand is how can something like the mount collection and minion collection continue to grow, and they can add an entirely new section to your logs page for random YoRHA trivia/lore from the Nier raid, but they can't add more space to the armory chest. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not an engineer. The same is true for Glamour Plates and extra space in the Glamour Dresser. I don't understand why those are hard-capped the way they are, but they can continue to add new stuff with no problems whatsoever to other areas of the game.

From what I understand the issue actually comes down to how they move characters around for duties. When you load into an instance your character is essentially copied to a duty server and the more info that has to go the larger the strain that creates. At any given moment there's a ton of transfers happening to and from duty servers so adding, say, 10 additional slots becomes an exponential problem. Because you have access to all your items in the armoury chests while in an instance that information has to go with you. Whereas you can't access your glamour dresser, that data isn't sent so it's easier to add those, plus the glamour dresser doesn't keep an individual copy of the item. It's likely just a flag on if you have that specific item in your dresser, which is why it doesn't save off things like condition. Less unique info = smaller size = easier to increase. Mounts and minions are just flags (unlocked? yes or no) as well. This is also why Chocobo Saddlebags were added, you can't access them in duties so they're easier to add without impacting instance servers.

An extra 5 slots doesn't seem like a lot, no, but at the scale of an MMO there's always going to be a ton of other considerations. They would likely have to completely rethink their instancing system to have the option of "easily" adding more inventory slots.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    With how important glamour and on the fly job switching is in this game, I sort of don't care what the problems are - they should be a top priority fix. If that was their entire selling point for an xpac I feel like people would be all about it.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I actually miss in 1.0 when belts had a separate graphic. In 2.0 they merged the top and belt graphic from each set to save on performance. I held out hope that one day they would split them off again but they decided to go the other way.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    the glamour dresser doesn't keep an individual copy of the item. It's likely just a flag on if you have that specific item in your dresser, which is why it doesn't save off things like condition.
    As far as I know, it does save an actual copy of the item, because you can dye it and it will retain the dye when you use it for glamour, and you can pull it out and it'll still be glamoured.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    the glamour dresser doesn't keep an individual copy of the item. It's likely just a flag on if you have that specific item in your dresser, which is why it doesn't save off things like condition.
    As far as I know, it does save an actual copy of the item, because you can dye it and it will retain the dye when you use it for glamour, and you can pull it out and it'll still be glamoured.

It's not just a flag, because you can have multiple copies of an item in your dresser, dyed different colours if you wish. But it is a stripped-down version of the item, with no spiritbond, durability, materia or signature information.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    it not being a flag is likely where the issue stems from. It functions exactly like void storage did many years ago in WoW, before they changed the system to be flag-based instead.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

It's not just a flag, because you can have multiple copies of an item in your dresser, dyed different colours if you wish. But it is a stripped-down version of the item, with no spiritbond, durability, materia or signature information.

Yeah fair, not just a flag. Either way it doesn't have to transfer with you to instances so it's less problematic even if it were the full item.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    Welp with early access rapidly approaching I'm now up to the hardest part of any expansion, making my mind up about which class to play as through the story.

Normally it'd just be whichever MDPS i'm feeling at the time, but with me planning to start again on the Oceanic server release, i'm kinda bouncing between Summoner and Sage.

I'm leaning towards summoner, pending trying out sage, but who am I kidding? I know i'll probs level a healer either way to tide me over till Feb (or whatever the date ends up being).

How's everyone else faring?

I've been a BRD since 1.0(well, ARC in 1.0, and then never played long enough to become a BRD), but it's been so long since I've used BRD I've forgotten how to play it. So, I may switch to SMN now that the new changes make it seem to be a more interesting job. Or I may stick with WHM/SCH, since I've been using those a bunch lately. I'm not sure.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Was able to get ALC to 80 last night so now I have all the crafting jobs at 80. Still leveling BTN and FSH on the side purely through daily turnins.

Also, got the Señor Sabotendor mount(!). Next up: Fenrir

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    oh no

cooking is fun

:|

(fishing is boring, but not *as* boring as it is in ESO, I guess)

*edit* Also I think it's hilarious that I use my Mad Culinary Skillz (TM) to help these bird guys build an airship. I have baked them a *whole aft deck!*

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wish neck pieces showed up. virtually all chest pieces hide them and it is extremely annoying

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    oh no

cooking is fun

:|

(fishing is boring, but not *as* boring as it is in ESO, I guess)

*edit* Also I think it's hilarious that I use my Mad Culinary Skillz (TM) to help these bird guys build an airship. I have baked them a *whole aft deck!*

Oh yeah. I used my weaving skills to make some stone walls and such for moogles. It's very silly since it has to let you use any crafting skill.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Took slightly longer than usual to make it past the login queue tonight (50+ people instead of 30-40, but a more noticeable delay). Actually got me a little hyped. Endwalker is coming.

I'll be starting Shadowbringers, so I'm behind the curve, but I'm just eager for a spike in activity and attention on the game. MMO expansion time is always exciting.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Regular fishing is boring, the 24-man Ocean Fishing activity is fun as hell

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Took slightly longer than usual to make it past the login queue tonight (50+ people instead of 30-40, but a more noticeable delay). Actually got me a little hyped. Endwalker is coming.

I'll be starting Shadowbringers, so I'm behind the curve, but I'm just eager for a spike in activity and attention on the game. MMO expansion time is always exciting.

Those queues don't mean anything for server population. FFXIV has two types of login queues. One is when the server is full - which hasn't happened for months and is going to be what Endwalker deals with.

The other is just a simultaneous login cap - the server can only handle so many people being shuttled into the world at once. The regular login queues are like a bus service going to a big stadium - can only login with the bus and it logs players in batches. The server queues are what happens when the stadium itself is full.

• Options
    Good to know, @Dhalphir.

HYPE ENDED, resume normal business

(But for real, I'm pumped.)

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Question:

if I sub for a month or whatever, and then let the sub lapse, can I still play, but just like, lose access to some things (like retainers, can't level up above 60, etc)? Or is it that once you sub if you let it lapse, you're locked out? (I have neither the income nor the attention span to make subbing for long periods worth it)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Question:

if I sub for a month or whatever, and then let the sub lapse, can I still play, but just like, lose access to some things (like retainers, can't level up above 60, etc)? Or is it that once you sub if you let it lapse, you're locked out? (I have neither the income nor the attention span to make subbing for long periods worth it)

The latter. The Free Trial is called that for a reason, the game is not free to play in that sense.

Once an account has had any paid subscription time, it's not allowed to go back to a Free Trial.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Okay I was going to say the Xaela were making me go haha dothraki mongols, I get it, but the Oronir specifically are making me think of ... Anyone watch Voyager? The early recurring villains, the Kazon. That's who these goobers remind me of.
    You send a dozen warriors after me so that you can have Lyse ... milk ... goats, or something. It's a weird flex.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Just logged on for five min to check my retainer and happened to see that someone was traveling from city to city, handing out free Christmas garb...

Long story short, my Lala now looks like a festive little elf. GOTY every year forever

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They put out a blog post about server congestion issues during expansion launch.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/1f70135439286fa66209cd21c10e73ebb986a6ee

tldr;
    • Stay in queue even if the numbers don't seem to be moving, they are
    • Error 2002 means the log-in server is choking, please try again later
    • "Visit Another World Server" will attempt to put you on a less populated world
    • Free Trial players will be deprioritized over paying customers
    • Character creation is impossible during server congestion

• Options
    So I just started...
    The hunt for the fifth Lightwarden, so level 77'ish MSQ.

I feel like the MSQ is about to really pop off. It's definitely been building to something I feel like is about to happen.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    They put out a blog post about server congestion issues during expansion launch.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/1f70135439286fa66209cd21c10e73ebb986a6ee

tldr;
    • "Visit Another World Server" will attempt to put you on a less populated world

the fact that they even felt it necessary to make such a post has me internally screaming - they see player numbers and they clearly see the end times coming lol

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it’s gonna be straight fire

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    sorry I misspoke there. It’s going to be ON fire

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I mean, old-timers remember Raubhan Ex and stuff like that, but a lot of newer players will assume it'll be as busy as usual. I think it is very sensible of them to give ample warning like this. If only to have something to refer to when some geese blow a fuse on social media about wanting their money back or whatever.

• Options
    Question:

The latter. The Free Trial is called that for a reason, the game is not free to play in that sense.

Once an account has had any paid subscription time, it's not allowed to go back to a Free Trial.

WELP.

Guess I'm Free Trial forever then, that's a bummer. I really prefer hybrid systems like ESO, makes it easier to pick up and play casually.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

tldr;

the fact that they even felt it necessary to make such a post has me internally screaming - they see player numbers and they clearly see the end times coming lol

You mean the end(walker) times.

This discussion has been closed.