As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I've bet a mate a pint that Johnson will still be PM this time next year

If I lose I get to see that sack of shit get kicked to the curb (curb here means cushy job with a lot of government kickbacks) and if I win then I get a free pint

Win win

what if he's PM but just short one day of your betted date, during which time he does even more damage to the country whilst sporting ever more ridiculous hair-dos (seriously, what was up with the pseudo bowl cut today?).

Then they'll have to drink a bitter.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Jazz wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Who are the 10% of Labour voters who want him to stay?

Maybe a few of them are thinking if he limps along he's easier to defeat in the next general.

They may well be right. But still, I just want the fucking prick gone. Every minute he's in office the country gets grubbier.

Gone from office, with his reputation so in tatters and him so toxic that no-one will touch him, and salt the fucking earth.

I want him gone, but I also want him destroyed. Which, you know, he's doing a pretty good job of making happen, it seems! At least up to a point.

I want the same but I think we both know he'll be earning hundreds of thousands of pounds on the speakers' circuit when he resigns, like every recent PM before him. Hell, he was doing that before he became prime minister.

Hence my post! :)

We can dream.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I've bet a mate a pint that Johnson will still be PM this time next year

If I lose I get to see that sack of shit get kicked to the curb (curb here means cushy job with a lot of government kickbacks) and if I win then I get a free pint

Win win

what if he's PM but just short one day of your betted date, during which time he does even more damage to the country whilst sporting ever more ridiculous hair-dos (seriously, what was up with the pseudo bowl cut today?).

Then I get a free pint. Yes!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Douglas Ross, leader of the Scottish Conservatives, is publicly saying that Johnson's position is untenable and he needs to resign

Worth pointing out specifically that he is an MP (for Moray) as much as Westminster Tories tend to think that Scottish MPs don't really count

Edit: right on cue

(Kate Proctor is with PoliticsHome, speaking to Michael Gove)

japan on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Way to encourage that one country spirit, Michael.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    One country, which is England, and everyone else, the subjects.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I may be a bit hopeful, but I really don't see how he can survive this one?
    Attending a party himself while at the height of lockdown measures has to be the final straw. There's no way to wash that one off, not even with twisting technicalities and a whitewashing review. He's nothing but a liability and won't see another election.

Of course that would be relying on him and the tories having some scrap of principle left, which I'm not so certain on.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    I may be a bit hopeful, but I really don't see how he can survive this one?
    Attending a party himself while at the height of lockdown measures has to be the final straw. There's no way to wash that one off, not even with twisting technicalities and a whitewashing review. He's nothing but a liability and won't see another election.

Of course that would be relying on him and the tories having some scrap of principle left, which I'm not so certain on.

See, you are an optimist.

The "one rule for them and another rule for us" isn't just a political attack from Labour, its an actual Tory Policy. That is what the Tories actually want. For the Tory elite, this is seen as their proper right and due to be allowed to break the measures without being held accountable for it.

Also I suspect you would be hard pressed to find a single member of the Tory leadership that hasn't done the same. So any challenger can't really attack him on breaking the measures. Since there is probably evidence out there of them breaking them too.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    The longer he holds on, the more his stink infects the whole lot and they know it.
    On the other hand the longer his replacement is in office, the more that person is stained with the general state of things in the country. So either they get an early election, or limp to the next. Either way, they're losing that majority at best.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

this is a poll from before pmqs but released just now

a few of these in a row and hes going to get shoved

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I've vaguely heard of Reform UK, what do they stand for?

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

Double Brexit.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options

Double Brexit.

Oh. Ew.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

I think they're Laurence Fox's latest grift.

Edit: actually, no. It's Farage's grift. Fox has the similarly named, but just as stupid, Reclaim party.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Double Brexit.

Oh. Ew.

I was going to joke that given the way political parties name themselves probably death camps.

Cynicism folks 90% correct every time

GiantGeek2020 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    REFUK is an awkward acronym/shorthand for a party.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Accurate, though.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

Edit: actually, no. It's Farage's grift. Fox has the similarly named, but just as stupid, Reclaim party.

I _think_ Farage is no longer associated with Reform, they are now headed by Richard Tice.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

I _think_ Farage is no longer associated with Reform, they are now headed by Richard Tice.

But it's not like Farage to whip up hysteria, start up a movement built solidly on grift, and then abandon it for something else. Completely out of character for the man.

Sorry, correction, "completely without character, is this man".

• Options

Rees-Mogg doubling down on "Scottish Tories don't matter"

I had to look up who the secretary of state for Scotland was (it's Alister Jack, MP for Dumfries and Galloway) and I suspect I'm not the only one who would have to do so

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Lucedes wrote: »

Accurate, though.
    I expect that most of their members are FUKERs.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    For Rees-Mogg, politics is but a game, and Westminster his playground.

He is so far removed from any of the repercussions of negative Government policies that none of this matters to him.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The SNP must be hooting with joy at this gift of a clip to play every time Douglas Ross opens his mouth.

• Options
    The SNP must be hooting with joy at this gift of a clip to play every time Douglas Ross opens his mouth.

Oh they absolutely are already

Every SNP social media feed is rammed with variations on this theme

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

The biggest of own goals.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options

The biggest of own goals.

Goals in Scotland don't count, haven't you heard the right honourable Jacob Rees Mogg?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

I had to look up who the secretary of state for Scotland was (it's Alister Jack, MP for Dumfries and Galloway) and I suspect I'm not the only one who would have to do so

Against all odds JRM has become my new Tory opinion buddy, we keep aligning on stuff lately! First we both agreed that we shouldn't abolish trial by jury even if it produces the occasional result we don't like, and now we both agree Scottish Tories are irrelevant and should be deplatformed.

We're like two peas in a pod.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    JRM has tripled down and named the Welsh cabinet secretary when asked who the leader of the Welsh Tories was.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Being a Scottish Tory must be a tough gig, eh? The locals hate ya, London hates ya, what are you even for?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    JRM has tripled down and named the Welsh cabinet secretary when asked who the leader of the Welsh Tories was.

Amazed he didn't go "a sheep?" and then gave himself a high five. Statesmanlike, I say.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Being a Scottish Tory must be a tough gig, eh? The locals hate ya, London hates ya, what are you even for?

The hope that at some point the tide will turn and they'll achieve the PR coup Tories have achieved in England which blinds the general electorate to the sheer degree to which the Conservative party exists solely to enrich its members. If and when that day comes they'll have their own gravy train and not just the scraps from the Westminster table.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It is wild to see that voting intention poll as a person who hasn’t followed the last ~3 of these threads

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Against all odds JRM has become my new Tory opinion buddy, we keep aligning on stuff lately! First we both agreed that we shouldn't abolish trial by jury even if it produces the occasional result we don't like, and now we both agree Scottish Tories are irrelevant and should be deplatformed.

We're like two peas in a pod.

What do you think his stance in small butterscotch-colored dogs is

• Options
    It is wild to see that voting intention poll as a person who hasn’t followed the last ~3 of these threads

It's been well timed blows against them the last few months. And stuff like "they partied while I didn't even get to see my mother before she died" is easy to resonate with emotionally.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

It’s very apt though

I am so very late to this I misread the time stamps

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

It's also a pretty terrible Wordle guess.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Well, now we know where the Brexit bus went, it's out behind Buckingham Palace parked on top of Andrew.

I mean, it's kind of a necessary step, in that a full throated defense and refusal to admit anything is wrong, only really works long term if you don't actually think Andrew did anything untoward, and are confidant that he'll be acquitted.

And by acquitted, I mean provably innocent, not "As a member of the royal family, Andrew can't be extradited, sorry about that" avoidance of criminality.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Well, now we know where the Brexit bus went, it's out behind Buckingham Palace parked on top of Andrew.

I mean, it's kind of a necessary step, in that a full throated defense and refusal to admit anything is wrong, only really works long term if you don't actually think Andrew did anything untoward, and are confidant that he'll be acquitted.

And by acquitted, I mean provably innocent, not "As a member of the royal family, Andrew can't be extradited, sorry about that" avoidance of criminality.

it's only a civil case anyway so extradition was never on the table

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I wonder if he'd never done that interview, making himself look like a non-sweating, pizza-eating clown, and just denied the allegations if it would have gone as bad for him as it has. Instead every action he takes just looks insanely desperate and suspect.

This discussion has been closed.