As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    He's definitely a nonce and he knows it and we all know it

He's got the look of a man watching the noose slowly tighten around him

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Meanwhile... spy in parliament drama?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59984380

Did not have that on my 2022 bingo

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Andrew is an idiot even by royal standards; I think I’ve seen it said that the Queen has a soft spot for him but I don’t he’s got much support from anyone else.

Andrew did that interview and gave those reasons thinking it would put him in a positive light; he’s was still thinking that the day after the interview was broadcast.

Who could have guessed that being brought up with such privilege and being sheltered from any kind if consequences could have led to such self belief?

The royal family must be thanking their lucky stars for Boris this week.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Bethryn wrote: »

Pretty obvious attempt at "dead cat"-ing the news cycle, though.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Maybe? It doesn't really seem like today's news on Andrew has changed much.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Jazz wrote: »

Maybe? It doesn't really seem like today's news on Andrew has changed much.

Nor Johnson, who is probably higher on the Tory priority list to save distract from. I never said it was a good attempt :wink:

MI5 is under the PM and the Home Secretary, and any timing of an announcement is, as I understand it, down to them and not MI5 itself. And apparently this has been known but not public for 3 years now. Yet it just comes out today? I don't buy that it's coincidence at all, this is exactly the current Tory M.O.

Jazz on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    We're long past peak Chinese influence, that was back when Cameron and Osborne were still in office and were unabashedly selling, giving and prostituting every part of the British state they could to the Chinese. If there was a time to be concerned it would have been then. Since that point someone or someones behind the scenes decided to pump the brakes and since then the relationship is far more adversarial.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Telegraph going for the jugular

Given that they're a naturally Tory supporting paper, running this seems to be an indication that they're committing to getting Johnson out

(Telegraph political correspondent)

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is this trying to Activate the Queen, to borrow a 2010 meme? Because that's a solid way to do it in my noggin.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

"Number 10 held two boozy parties the night before the Queen mourned Prince Philip alone. Staff drank and at points danced until the early hours of the night of April 16. Hours later, the Queen went to a socially-distanced funeral for Philip."
    - Tony Diver is a political reporter for the Telegraph.

That's a fucking contrast.

Tories boozing it up for no significant reason, in breach of policy. Head of State required to mourn socially distanced, because of policy.

• Options
    Ok I definitely feel justified in my "holy shit" reaction

• Options
    Also it really feels like somebody's loosing the torpedoes hard and fast now

• Options
    Oof.

The knives are out. Feels like "gone by summer" is staring to look far too generous.

Either way I have zero fucks to give about which occupant of the clown car gets to sit at the wheel. I can't bring myself to believe we'll be any better off with Truss or Sunak or any of the mind-numbingly incompetent and self-interested crop of senior Tories in charge. No matter what happens we're staring down the barrel of three more years of government by reacting to twitter.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can’t see the Telegraph forcing Johnson out. Maybe this is an attempt to blame the staff at Number 10?

I could be wrong, but the Telegraph has acted like his personal cheerleader for years now.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I can’t see the Telegraph forcing Johnson out. Maybe this is an attempt to blame the staff at Number 10?

I could be wrong, but the Telegraph has acted like his personal cheerleader for years now.

I figured contrasting the behaviour at Number 10 to that of the Queen is a good way of getting right wingers on board with dumping him, though? Reminding everyone that she has also experienced the difficulties of covid restriction that many of us have, stuff like that.

And then I see the likes of Mogg and Lord "Thanks for the ECHR" Frost saying Covid Restrictions were maybe too harsh and don't work and "bleugh" is about the only response I can muster.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    A mate told me that Wilf Johnson's swing was broken in the garden of number 10 and I was transported to a land of British whimsy, where I imagined a story of some 18th century prime minister who installed a swing in the garden, due to having the belief that it improves the circulation of thoughts. This swing would have been maintained for centuries as part of Downing Street tradition.

Before I clicked through to the article and came crashing back to reality where some drunk political twat wrecked a kids swing

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options

Telegraph veers between the opinion columns that are total, artless sycophancy, and the articles which generally try to smooth over his wrongdoings, but do occasionally call him out on things that an anti-lockdown anti-mask Telegraph reader might object to, like having a party when they're not allowed to.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    And in very convenient news, Boris can't come out to play right now because someone in his family has gone positive for Covid. Not going to say who it was, at least until Sue Grey lets them know.
    It might have just been a temperature from standing next to all those files being burnt, as the Information Commisioner's Office has had to issue an official warning after hearing that ahead of the impartial investigation from Sue Grey, downing street staff had been told to delete everything relating to any parties.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Maybe the Telegraph has decided they would prefer Tories in government over a loss so their boy must go.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this seems to me like the graph can see the wind blowing, and figures sooner is better than later

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I suspect Johnson thought he'd have a breather with the Prince Andrew news yesterday and hard on its heels a Chinese agent who gave a Labour MP several hundred grand is outed by MI5 in a very conveniently timed press release, but nope, some more parties come out and it's right back in the crosshairs.

The number of MPs who've put a letter in to the 1922 committee remains very small (5, I think), and it seems like most of the bootlicking, craven bunch are waiting to see what the report says.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I suspect Johnson thought he'd have a breather with the Prince Andrew news yesterday and hard on its heels a Chinese agent who gave a Labour MP several hundred grand is outed by MI5 in a very conveniently timed press release, but nope, some more parties come out and it's right back in the crosshairs.

The number of MPs who've put a letter in to the 1922 committee remains very small (5, I think), and it seems like most of the bootlicking, craven bunch are waiting to see what the report says.

One possibility I read is a lot of them are waiting for the May elections, to see if it has an impact on voting. Losing a few more seats to the lib dems or Labour might see more letters being sent.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

One possibility I read is a lot of them are waiting for the May elections, to see if it has an impact on voting. Losing a few more seats to the lib dems or Labour might see more letters being sent.

Because nothing says courage like waiting to see if the electorate is forgiving of gross incompetence and moral abdication.

Anyone who doesn't support his removal now, shouldn't get credit for changing their mind after they see the election results. But they will, because that's what politics is now.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

I work for the Passport Office, and would fucking kill for a 2% pay rise. We've had 1%, or less than 1%, for about 9 years now, since austerity started, and never ended for us.

It won't be much longer until our lowest paid staff start getting affected by minimum wage increases.

• Options
    Just when you thought Johnson couldn't be any more pathetic

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-downing-street-partygate-b1993433.html

He is apparently drawing up a list of civil servants who will "resign" to deflect the criticism in the widely leaked Sue Gray report

It is supposedly called "operation save big dog" and yes, he came up with that himself

• Options
    You'd think someone so proud of a public school education could have come up with something a little more tasteful as a name. Operation Thermopylae, for example.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Just when you thought Johnson couldn't be any more pathetic

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-downing-street-partygate-b1993433.html

He is apparently drawing up a list of civil servants who will "resign" to deflect the criticism in the widely leaked Sue Gray report

It is supposedly called "operation save big dog" and yes, he came up with that himself
    this is why we need the :hydra: reaction back for posts.

• Options
    You'd think someone so proud of a public school education could have come up with something a little more tasteful as a name. Operation Thermopylae, for example.

It's more that I struggle to believe that even BoJo, knowing number 10 is currently leaking like a sieve made of swiss cheese, decided it was a good idea to run around saying "I'm collecting a list of names for people to throw under the bus to save myself, I'm going to give this process a silly name that outright says what I'm doing".

Am I overestimating him?

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

It's more that I struggle to believe that even BoJo, knowing number 10 is currently leaking like a sieve made of swiss cheese, decided it was a good idea to run around saying "I'm collecting a list of names for people to throw under the bus to save myself, I'm going to give this process a silly name that outright says what I'm doing".

Am I overestimating him?

If you even think you may be overestimating him, you probably are.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Pippa is a journalist for The Mirror.

The timings on these stories have been perfect. Release one story, wait for the storm to die down then release another.

Each one putting more and more pressure on Johnson.

Whoever is leaking this info really wants him gone.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Pippa is a journalist for The Mirror.

The timings on these stories have been perfect. Release one story, wait for the storm to die down then release another.

Each one putting more and more pressure on Johnson.

Whoever is leaking this info really wants him gone.

That hardly narrows the field down does it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Yes, it's astonishing to find that there are so many people apparently willing to backstab the kind of person who, when in trouble, starts openly making lists of other people to take the fall for him.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Shit, he is practically recruiting them.

I bet there are people on the list that would never have leaked until it became clear that it was that or become a scapegoat for this twat.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

I bet there are people on the list that would never have leaked until it became clear that it was that or become a scapegoat for this twat.

It doesn't feel like it's an organic response, if that makes sense? It feels like a planned campaign at how regularly this is going on.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Yes, it's astonishing to find that there are so many people apparently willing to backstab the kind of person who, when in trouble, starts openly making lists of other people to take the fall for him.

I'm a distant observer, but haven't the Tories defined themselves on ruthless backstabbing as they appear to have no other expertise?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

It doesn't feel like it's an organic response, if that makes sense? It feels like a planned campaign at how regularly this is going on.

I mean, this is what competent deviousness looks like. We're just used to mendacious whining.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just thinking, if Sue Grey's legendary enquiry concludes that they technically get away with everything, do they actually think that'll end all this?
    I feel like the most likely outcome is they get accused of whitewashing on top of everything else they're already covered in.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Maybe they can install toddler gates?
    Yet one figure who worked for Johnson and his predecessor Theresa May said the extent of lockdown breaking was the result of a culture emanating from the top. They told an anecdote about Johnson’s second period in isolation when staff had to confine him to his study to stop him mixing with staff. “I remember we had to create a ‘cat run’ for him to get down from the flat to his office so he wouldn’t come into contact with people.

“The idea was we could talk to him through the open door. But he kept on coming out so we put two chairs across the door like some kind of puppy gate.

“There was a pattern throughout. He just simply did not think about following the rules. They were not for him.”

This discussion has been closed.