As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    As the Guardian blog has pointed out, it's worth remembering that if the Tories have a no confidence vote and Johnson wins they can't do it again for another 12 months. That doesn't mean Johnson will necessarily remain, but they won't be able to force him out.

Theresa May was in a similar position, and then the 1922 Committee threatened to change the rules unless she resigned after lackluster European elections. I could see him survive this immediate challenge and then the local elections in May (not the Wheat Vandal) cause history to repeat itself.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Apologies for multi-posting. Chief political correspondent at The Times.

Well. Gonna be a fuckin spicy PMQs today.

From his Wiki.
    It was reported in The Times on 5 November 2021 that Wakeford approached Owen Paterson and called him "a cunt", after the Government, under the instruction of prime minister Boris Johnson, instructed its MPs to vote to change rules on the way MPs' conduct is policed.

Heh.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm going to call it now.

Boris will leave in disgrace and when the ramifications of our "canada+" Brexit deal actually hit (IE, it's not the end of the world but it's quite shit), Brexiteers will blame boris and not the concept of Brexit itself.

I think this was the plan long before Covid derailed literally everything.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm going to call it now.

Boris will leave in disgrace and when the ramifications of our "canada+" Brexit deal actually hit (IE, it's not the end of the world but it's quite shit), Brexiteers will blame boris and not the concept of Brexit itself.

I think this was the plan long before Covid derailed literally everything.

My thoughts are that this was what May was supposed to do. That being implement brexit, take the blame for it's many flaws and be ousted in favour of Johnson. Who could come in with his hand clean so to speak. But then May did the unthinkable and started to talk about further negotiations with the EU so the whole thing had to be brought forward.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why wouldn't Brexiteers just say Boris was betrayed by something something deep state?

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Brexiteers just say Boris was betrayed by something something deep state?

If Boris hadn't been organising regular pissups that resonated emotionally in all the wrong ways that may have been feasible. But if they're now considering chucking him regardless he might as well be the scapegoat.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If Johnson is tainted goods now in the eyes of the public anyone rushing out to defend him risks tying themselves to the mast of a sinking ship. If the rest of the cabinet aren't in full voice defending him and saying he'll go on for years it's because they don't want to get loser stink on themselves.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I dont know why you all want Boris out. Whoever is there is going to cause damage because the Tories have a majority and don't care, but if Boris is out he's free. Free from as much scrutiny, free from as much blame, free to do talk circuits for huge sums of money. I want to watch this man shrivel and fail on screen, not slink off to profit from it.

• Options
    If Johnson is tainted goods now in the eyes of the public anyone rushing out to defend him risks tying themselves to the mast of a sinking ship. If the rest of the cabinet aren't in full voice defending him and saying he'll go on for years it's because they don't want to get loser stink on themselves.

I thought the majority of the cabinet had been pretty solid in defending him, Sunak and Truss notwithstanding, because it wasn't likely they'd still be in the cabinet long after Boris goes.

• Options
    I don't want this particular lying piece of shit in charge of the government. He may be replaced with someone similar, but this one has delighted us enough. He's a fucking embarrassment whose presence and actions damage the country for no reason except his own gratification. He's a monstrous oaf, a cretin, a wrecking ball who fills the government with other buffoons and idiots.

I would quite like him to decompose over the course of months at the dispatch box, but if we can be shot of him and his poisonous influence for the immediate future I'll take it.

• Options
    I dont know why you all want Boris out. Whoever is there is going to cause damage because the Tories have a majority and don't care, but if Boris is out he's free. Free from as much scrutiny, free from as much blame, free to do talk circuits for huge sums of money. I want to watch this man shrivel and fail on screen, not slink off to profit from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3_DjiLLDfo

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I want him gone as proof that something, anything, has consequences for people like him

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

I thought the majority of the cabinet had been pretty solid in defending him, Sunak and Truss notwithstanding, because it wasn't likely they'd still be in the cabinet long after Boris goes.

The line has been that everyone should wait for the report and they believe him, but I dunno if I'd characterise their interviews as solid (with a few exceptions). Raab got caught out by saying he wasn't at the party, then denied it was a party.

• Options
    It will be interesting to see if Sue Grey can thread the needle of a report that says "all is fine" and everyone can insist on moving on without triggering calls of whitewashing. Or whether she'll actually say "the PM did a bad".

• Options
    It's a fact-finding report. Judgements of criminality or breaking the ministerial code are utterly outside its remit.

• Options
    FT correspondent.

Davis leaps from stage left, plunging a dagger right between the shoulderblades.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I know another awful person will replace Boris

But I hate Boris a lot and to see him suffer and fall ignominiously is deeply pleasing

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

But I hate Boris a lot and to see him suffer and fall ignominiously is deeply pleasing

It's assholes all they way down, may as well get our kicks where we can

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Since you got to go oh you better go now...

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Since you got to go oh you better go now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsUTPc17oQ

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    It's a fact-finding report. Judgements of criminality or breaking the ministerial code are utterly outside its remit.

"A wine party took place in the lawn, and while the PM was present, he was drunk and we were unable to determine if he was aware that he was in fact at a party. A picture of Jeremy Corbyn was found punctured near the Dart board, and as such, we can only conclude that the Labour party are predominantly responsible. Their failure to stop this is perhaps the worst lapse of judgement committed this and last century."

Dibbit on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

If Sue Gray has any sense whatsoever, the report she produces will be crystal clear on this point in its preamble and conclusions

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    As the Guardian blog has pointed out, it's worth remembering that if the Tories have a no confidence vote and Johnson wins they can't do it again for another 12 months. That doesn't mean Johnson will necessarily remain, but they won't be able to force him out.
    I think if a vote is held, the people who might vote for him will look at what they've had to deal with because of him just this month, then ask themselves if they really want to suffer it for another 12 months. Especially with the May elections that I can only believe will go super well for the tories.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Sue Gray is nothing more than a tory (or, generously, government) fixer. Her past actions have been to bury and hide emarassing stories for them. The BBC ran an article on her in 2015:
    First, Ms Gray is notorious (like Sir Jeremy) for her determination not to leave a document trail.

When Labour wants to propose someone for a peerage, they ring her on the phone. She then gives them an oral "yes" or "no" as to whether they are likely to get through vetting. The party accepts her verdicts, but there are no records and she never explains herself. There is simply no check on what basis she performs the first sift on House of Lords membership.
    It goes on: I know of half-a-dozen occasions where Ms Gray has intervened to tell departments to fight disclosures under the Freedom of Information Act. Civil servants at the Department of Health (DH) state that she was behind that department's doomed attempts to keep the diary of Andrew Lansley a secret - a case that, because there was no plausible case for secrecy, collapsed into farce.
    In September 2011, Ms Gray advised Michael Gove, then education secretary, that email sent in private email accounts on government business was exempt from transparency laws. He had been using his wife's email account for departmental business. Ms Gray did so over the telephone (of course), but also followed up with an explanatory email.

If data is not stored on servers accessible to officials, she wrote, it "seems obvious that they cannot 'hold' it for the purpose of the Act", she wrote. But government business is government business. Mr Gove's use of his wife's email account (the so-called "Mrs Blurt" account) when he emailed officials created no exemptions. This duff advice ended up costing tens of thousands of pounds in legal fees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33431580

She sounds very much like somebody who would bend over backwards to clear the tories.

altid on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Led By Donkeys are kicking it up a notch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xY9R05q0I

On the last video they refused to confirm whether it was actually Adrian Dunbar voicing it, and now they've got two other suspiciously good soundalikes

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I keep thinking about Boris riding high on the bullshit "success" of Brexit and feeling like a champion for leading the country through covid, only to have it all ripped from under him and now being completely miserable and unsatisfied. I know it's projection and I can't actually know how he feels but imagining it is nice.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    daveNYC wrote: »

From his Wiki.
    It was reported in The Times on 5 November 2021 that Wakeford approached Owen Paterson and called him "a cunt", after the Government, under the instruction of prime minister Boris Johnson, instructed its MPs to vote to change rules on the way MPs' conduct is policed.

Heh.

Wakeford apparently also co-sponsored a private members bill mandating by-elections take place if an MP defects.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

From his Wiki.

Heh.

Wakeford apparently also co-sponsored a private members bill mandating by-elections take place if an MP defects.

It's an interesting philosophical question about whether it's ethical to benefit from existing rules you've sought to change in the past. I'm not actually sure where I stand on the issue.

• Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Wakefield apparently also co-sponsored a private members bill mandating by-elections take place if an MP defects.

Just a touch awkward.

• Options
    Also remember it's Wakeford, not Wakefield. Whatever his faults he didn't kickstart modern antivax.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Also remember it's Wakeford, not Wakefield. Whatever his faults he didn't kickstart modern antivax.

Sorry I think that might have been my phone auto-correcting. I’ve corrected myself.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    In a somewhat unexpected twist from today, the plans to allow double jobbing to return in NI were abrupty dropped when a question was raised about the plans at PMQs. If you listen to the moment when it's announced you can hear an anguished cry of "WHAT?!", supposedly from Paisley jr.

Edit: Tweeter is a 'journalist' for stephen nolan, but only after the clip here.

Also, to indicate the level of bigotry that stille exists in NI, Jim Allister (leader, TUV) refused to sign a joint letter opposing the rule change despite his own strong opposition to the move. Why? Because Sinn Fein signed it. Literally just that. Nothing to do with the contents. The same man was happy to eulogise a convicted paedophile but refuses to sign something he agrees with beacuse Sinn Fein also agree with it.

altid on
  • Options
    I saw the report on the news and was mildly but pleasantly surprised at how they were clear these rules would directly benefit the DUP and nobody else. Yesterday they said they were going ahead with the vote on the rules and had no plans to drop them, so I'm again surprised that they dropped them like that. Maybe they're feeling vulnerable after the police amendments got kicked out.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2022
    FT correspondent.

Davis leaps from stage left, plunging a dagger right between the shoulderblades.

And noted scholar Boris Johnson apparently did not recognize the quote.

Echo on
  • Options
    Oh or maybe Boris decided right there, in the middle of PMQ, because he's under pressure and just took the expedient option to avoid scrutiny.

• Options
    From the luchtime reporting it sounded like the PMQs announcement was the first anyone had heard about any reversal on double jobbing. All the opposing parties were expecting the vote to go ahead. Sounds like there was a risk of losing the vote so they backed out at the last minute. I honestly doubt johnson bothered to keep track of NI affairs.

• Options
    Double or, maybe he just wanted to cause anguish in Ian Og.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm reading that tweet and all I can think of is the Pinky and the Brain 'Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?' gag.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I'm reading that tweet and all I can think of is the Pinky and the Brain 'Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?' gag.

I think so, Brain, but how was he supposed to know it wasn't a work event?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    400 covid deaths a day but Boris has now removed all face masks mandates everywhere and end working from home in a desperate attempt to remain popular with the fucknuts, I assume

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.