As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2022
    He looks like shit and is plainly hating every minute of this. Which makes me feel all warm inside.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    If that is the best excuse him and his team could come up with, he's fucked.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    If that is the best excuse him and his team could come up with, he's fucked.

While I have hope, I no longer have expectation.

Things that should have sunk conservative leadership, just no longer seem to have the potency they once did. Now that it's been shown that as long as you're shameless enough, you can just wait it out, and the media will move on.

• Options
    The policing bill amendments being kicked out by the Lords is great news, though. And because several of those amendments were sneaked into the bill after the Commons had passed it they can't come back now the Lords has culled them.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The policing bill amendments being kicked out by the Lords is great news, though. And because several of those amendments were sneaked into the bill after the Commons had passed it they can't come back now the Lords has culled them.

So why is this allowed? You'd think the Commons needs to vote on the finalised version.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Why is it the non democratic parts of the British state are consistently the ones that act most in the interest of the public?

Look I'm not saying there's a compelling argument for abolishing democracy but

Casual on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Why is it the non democratic parts of the British state are consistently the ones that act most in the interest of the public?

Because for all their faults, those parts don't see the next election as their top priority.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

So why is this allowed? You'd think the Commons needs to vote on the finalised version.

It'll go back to the Commons now. The bits that were kicked out may be reintroduced (if they weren't introduced in the Lords) by the Commons, or might be parcelled together in a new bill later on.

Introducing the amendments in the Lords was an attempt to avoid scrutiny on some awful laws that Patel wanted to make her look tough, and a gamble that the Lords wouldn't block them, possibly counting on Labour voting for them so they didn't look weak on crime (in the right wing press). As it turned out Labour peers voted them down anyway (along with other opposition Lords and Independents) and Patel's bullshit was defeated.

The bill isn't dead, but the outcome was about as good as could be hoped for in the circumstances (i.e. massive Tory majority in the Commons).

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The House of Lords is more like the Canadian Senate than the US Senate: a mostly pointless assembly that cannot actually do anything the elected assembly doesn't want to do, but can suggest changes to proposed laws, or slow them down long enough for a minority government to fail.

That's it. If the Commons want a law, they will get it done, and the unelected chamber can't do anything about it. Same thing if the Commons do not want a law.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Because for all their faults, those parts don't see the next election as their top priority.

Speaking as someone who has experience with this in a tangential way, most people working for the state are interesting in building something that works, if only because it makes their job easier.

An aim that a lot of elected officials don't seem to share

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    The House of Lords is more like the Canadian Senate than the US Senate: a mostly pointless assembly that cannot actually do anything the elected assembly doesn't want to do, but can suggest changes to proposed laws, or slow them down long enough for a minority government to fail.

That's it. If the Commons want a law, they will get it done, and the unelected chamber can't do anything about it. Same thing if the Commons do not want a law.

Some Senators here also seem to actually take their jobs seriously, which is nice and occasionally helpful.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

The house of Lords grows in influence and quality of life as Great Britain grows, so long term growth is somewhat prioritized as they aren't looking to profit and jet, they're looking to not be bothered and live in comfort. A lord of a dismal country is scarcely a lord at all.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    No need to deliver on a populist agenda if your career longevity doesn't depend on you being popular.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

You know things are going well when a Twitter account for a sunken ship is making fun of you.

• Options
    Now that he's gone on record as not knowing and not being told that the party during lockdown was against lockdown rules, what are the odds that proof emerges showing that he did know and was told?

I mean, this all feels like a trap that Boris just put his face in.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Now that he's gone on record as not knowing and not being told that the party during lockdown was against lockdown rules, what are the odds that proof emerges showing that he did know and was told?

I mean, this all feels like a trap that Boris just put his face in.

Trying to skate by on "I didn't know (but I should have)" is really his only choice. Better it looks like he royally screwed up than consciously disregarded the rules. But as you say, at current rates I'm confident of a smoking gun being around somewhere.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    The people who don't support Boris don't believe him, the people who do support him don't believe him, the purpose of his statements is not to be believed it's just going through the motions of what is expected of him because in this scenario hiding in a fridge isn't an option.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A certain Dave Chapelle skit is coming strongly to mind. :(

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The people who don't support Boris don't believe him, the people who do support him don't believe him, the purpose of his statements is not to be believed it's just going through the motions of what is expected of him because in this scenario hiding in a fridge isn't an option.

Can we just nuke the fridge?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Boats
    You know things are going well when a Twitter account for a sunken ship is making fun of you.

The PM program on Radio 4 was taking the piss as well, as in a bit on checkout-less supermarkets they did include "and a bottle of wine in case I get invited to a work event" in order to show what would happen with age restricted goods.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Can we just nuke the fridge?

Indiana Jones says no

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Where's that video from? Fan film? The Harrison Ford stand-in seems way too old for an Indiana Jones movie.

Cause I don't recognize it from any of the THREE Indiana Jones movies.
    I still stand by my opinion that Temple of Doom is worse than Crystal Skull, but it makes the joke less funny.

And that clip doesn't help. Fucking stupid scene. Worst scene overall in the franchise, but Doom had worse moments on average, IMO.[/quote]

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Reports going around that the mood has shifted within the tory ranks and a no confidence vote is on the cards. Could breach the required number of letters as early as tomorrow, or it could be after the Sue Gray report fails to properly cover for him. Either way it's sounding more and more inevitable. Seems that today's interview did him no favours.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/18/boris-johnson-challenge-leadership-tory-mps

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Hmmm

Feels like momentum shifting. Nobody seems to be waiting for someone else to move first

Edit: one more for the gossip

(ITV deputy political editor)

japan on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I mean they're not wrong, Boris won them their seats...just in the late 90's, early '00s. We Brexited due to bendy bananas and the like.
    Farage got them over the line though, which I get the feeling that some of the 109ers get being swing seat MPs and therefore presumably a little less insane.

Boris can perhaps win them their seats back, if they switch to Lib Dem.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Sky news is a news channel/website.

Voter suppression!!

I believe there was only one prove case of voter fraud in the past couple of years.

Also infuriating to see Tory's trotting out the line that they've frozen the licence fee to to put more money in the pockets of pensioners.

Conveniently ignoring all the other tax rises they're implementing and inflation etc

• Options
    This won't stop me from enjoying Johnson's increasing deterioration and humiliation, but casting a glance about the runners and riders to replace him isn't an edifying sight.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Priti Patel

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Priti Patel

Gesundheit

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The Sun hilariously leads on a story about a Strictly dancer breaking off an engagement. Literally every single other paper has the Tory plot to oust Johnson as the headline but the Sun still can't bring itself to even pretend to be a newspaper.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe Boris' last act will be to ensure that the BBC gets its funding

If he loses the premiership and future opportunities to host HIGNFY, what else has he got in his life?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2022
    I might be petty, but I am thoroughly enjoying supping on all this scoodenfroody.

The Times has been told that the prime minister had been showing symptoms of coronavirus for about a week before he went into self-isolation on March 27.

One No 10 insider said that despite the warnings he insisted that he was fine.

“He said he was ‘strong like bull’ and banged his chest,” the source said.

Echo on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Maybe Boris' last act will be to ensure that the BBC gets its funding

If he loses the premiership and future opportunities to host HIGNFY, what else has he got in his life?

Making toy buses out of old wine crates

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    You know it's bad when they start reaching for increasingly obscure MPs and ministers to handle the media round, presumably because the usual high profile figures are increasingly reluctant to stand by Johnson

Step up James Heappey and George Eustice, it is your time to shine

japan on
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    Step up James Heappey and George Eustice, it is your time to shine
    9l7rg4p1wylh.jpg

• Options
    Some corking briefings from "senior sources" and "ex-ministers" this morning. Johnson's inability to chair a meeting coherently, continual focus on newspaper headlines rather than policy, ignoring his red box briefings, generally being the equivalent of a particularly stupid donkey. All delicious and worth savouring.

• Options
    As the Guardian blog has pointed out, it's worth remembering that if the Tories have a no confidence vote and Johnson wins they can't do it again for another 12 months. That doesn't mean Johnson will necessarily remain, but they won't be able to force him out.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Apologies for multi-posting. Chief political correspondent at The Times.

Well. Gonna be a fuckin spicy PMQs today.

Bogart on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm going to call it now.

Boris will leave in disgrace and when the ramifications of our "canada+" Brexit deal actually hit (IE, it's not the end of the world but it's quite shit), Brexiteers will blame boris and not the concept of Brexit itself.

This discussion has been closed.