As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Peace[chat]ter

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    I could go on.

Do trust me when I say a lot of us would LOVE to just close out stuff in a timely manner. A lot of us feel for the applicants. We get it’s a struggle with your life on hold.

But for every honest person out there, we have serious shit applicants, or management fucking us. They eat into our time. Then you get cases where an employee who was insufficiently trained approves someone they shouldn’t have but did it all because management just cares about numbers.

But who gets fucked in the end?

Many applicants are not represented by an attorney. They are filling out forms on their own, following pages and pages of instructions that, even when simplified, are hard to understand, and that’s even if they are literate in a language that the forms and their instructions come in. When I was in the immigration clinic at school, our first application bounced because despite our diligent efforts, we missed a few empty boxes to write “N/A” in (a stupid ass trump era rule that I hope has been dumpstered). We drilled our client for hours and hours in the week leading up to the asylum interview. We produced a brick of supporting exhibits over 500+ pages long and a brief 50+ pages long, just for an affirmative asylum application. That’s a well-represented application. For every well-represented applicant, there are 50 pro se, figuring it all out on their own, or getting scammed by bad attorneys who promise the moon and get them thrown into removal proceedings. And, every week, we’d hope the AG, BIA, or SCOTUS wouldn’t reinterpret the INA or IIRIRA to make the process and the standards even more impossible to surmount.

USCIS a) doesn’t belong in DHS b) needs more resources c) needs a stable law to apply

I believe that Trump-era policy was dropped. There was only one Trump-era policy I think even his staunchest haters actually appreciated within the agency.

And, again while not knowing much about the asylum side of things, I do know we offer our application instructions in multiple languages. Then again, I full-on admit I could be thinking about naturalization only. I have to look again.

It really is frustrating we haven’t come up with a way to actually handle this effectively for all involved.

I don’t deal with the Asylum side of the house, but from ISOs I know who worked at the worst office known nationwide, many of them have PTSD and it wasn’t from the applicants.

Like right now, my side of the house has a lack of interpreters. Asylum, however, has four different contracting agencies they can use for interpretation so that applicants aren’t kept waiting forever. We don’t have that (and we don’t know why).

Also, yes I feel like USCIS should be under the DOJ. We’re constantly ignored for ICE and CBP anyways.

• Options
    Okay I am going to bed. I am on vacation and it’s my birthday. I shouldn’t be talking about work.

Au revoir château neuf de papes.

Hopefully one day things stop sucking for all involved

Except

You know

Sexual suckings

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I could go on.

Do trust me when I say a lot of us would LOVE to just close out stuff in a timely manner. A lot of us feel for the applicants. We get it’s a struggle with your life on hold.

But for every honest person out there, we have serious shit applicants, or management fucking us. They eat into our time. Then you get cases where an employee who was insufficiently trained approves someone they shouldn’t have but did it all because management just cares about numbers.

But who gets fucked in the end?

Many applicants are not represented by an attorney. They are filling out forms on their own, following pages and pages of instructions that, even when simplified, are hard to understand, and that’s even if they are literate in a language that the forms and their instructions come in. When I was in the immigration clinic at school, our first application bounced because despite our diligent efforts, we missed a few empty boxes to write “N/A” in (a stupid ass trump era rule that I hope has been dumpstered). We drilled our client for hours and hours in the week leading up to the asylum interview. We produced a brick of supporting exhibits over 500+ pages long and a brief 50+ pages long, just for an affirmative asylum application. That’s a well-represented application. For every well-represented applicant, there are 50 pro se, figuring it all out on their own, or getting scammed by bad attorneys who promise the moon and get them thrown into removal proceedings. And, every week, we’d hope the AG, BIA, or SCOTUS wouldn’t reinterpret the INA or IIRIRA to make the process and the standards even more impossible to surmount.

USCIS a) doesn’t belong in DHS b) needs more resources c) needs a stable law to apply

I believe that Trump-era policy was dropped. There was only one Trump-era policy I think even his staunchest haters actually appreciated within the agency.

And, again while not knowing much about the asylum side of things, I do know we offer our application instructions in multiple languages. Then again, I full-on admit I could be thinking about naturalization only. I have to look again.

It really is frustrating we haven’t come up with a way to actually handle this effectively for all involved.

I don’t deal with the Asylum side of the house, but from ISOs I know who worked at the worst office known nationwide, many of them have PTSD and it wasn’t from the applicants.

Like right now, my side of the house has a lack of interpreters. Asylum, however, has four different contracting agencies they can use for interpretation so that applicants aren’t kept waiting forever. We don’t have that (and we don’t know why).

Also, yes I feel like USCIS should be under the DOJ. We’re constantly ignored for ICE and CBP anyways.

1. The form policy was a blatant effort to bureaucratically grind all kinds of immigration applications to a trickle for no other purpose than to frustrate the implementation of immigration law

2. I know the instructions come in multiple languages, but even for the careful reader, there are ambiguities and things that get missed. I’m pretty damn fluent in English and I spent a day at least making sure every thing on the 1-589 petition was perfect, and it bounced anyway

3. We always suspected the thing that would fuck our client wasn’t a shitty AO but a good AO’s shitty supervisor. Especially in trump times, there was a huge risk that even the best officers were minded by vicious apparatchiks. But that’s not limited to trump’s USCIS. These people are lifers.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ted lasso s1 storyline
    i'm totally gutted by this depiction of divorce. both are kind and supportive to the other. and then personal experience makes the premise, the 'i just fell out of love, you did nothing wrong' thing sting even more. what an unexpectedly dark turn, given the first half season was generally so lighthearted

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    @mim omg I almost missed ur bday

Happy bday!!!

If I were straight I’d have probably sent you a dick pic years ago and single-mindedly hit on you

• Options
    edward i've tried telling you for years that being gay doesn't make you any less able than other men

• Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Immigration forms are (imo) deliberately onerous and difficult to work through, even for native language speakers...and that's assuming the form's even available in your language. I've done some pro bono work with asylum-seeking kids, and more than once those of us on the lawyer side of the desk had to pause and try to figure out wtf was being asked in a form. Granted I'm not an immigration attorney, but still.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Mim happy birthday. Enjoy your time off.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    @mim omg I almost missed ur bday

Happy bday!!!

If I were straight I’d have probably sent you a dick pic years ago and single-mindedly hit on you

Weirdly enough, I do actually like dick pics.

I get why people hate unsolicited ones, but I know women who don’t want them from even their partners. They want abs or arms. I’m like “fuck that, show me the D”

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    TomeWyrm wrote: »
    Immigration forms are (imo) deliberately onerous and difficult to work through, even for native language speakers...and that's assuming the form's even available in your language. I've done some pro bono work with asylum-seeking kids, and more than once those of us on the lawyer side of the desk had to pause and try to figure out wtf was being asked in a form. Granted I'm not an immigration attorney, but still.

The level of detail and consistency you need to produce in corroborating documents is also above and beyond anything clients have ever had to document, and that’s not even getting to the trauma you have to ask them to relive

There’s a lot of confusion based on how much detail from 10 years ago you need them to absolutely get correct and make sure not to accidentally contradict in the interview in the hopes that they don’t come off as noncredible even though if you asked the very officer conducting the interview “what color were the walls in the room you were assaulted in in 2002” it would be absurd to expect them to remember consistently

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Museum story

All art is fake

All things are ads

Be The Best Asbestos Be Can You

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I dropped my bite guard somewhere in the bed and am trying to decide if I should feel for it or just go to sleep without it.

I'll go pee and then sleep and hope it was here all along.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Welp, it's 4am

Pretty safe to say that tomorrow's going to be a write off

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Mim happy birthday!

• Options

The level of detail and consistency you need to produce in corroborating documents is also above and beyond anything clients have ever had to document, and that’s not even getting to the trauma you have to ask them to relive

There’s a lot of confusion based on how much detail from 10 years ago you need them to absolutely get correct and make sure not to accidentally contradict in the interview in the hopes that they don’t come off as noncredible even though if you asked the very officer conducting the interview “what color were the walls in the room you were assaulted in in 2002” it would be absurd to expect them to remember consistently

Yeah, it's pretty unreasonable, even cruel at times, especially when an inconsistency or a typo could result in deportation and actual, credible threats to their lives.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Organichu wrote: »
    edward i've tried telling you for years that being gay doesn't make you any less able than other men

I almost had a threesome with my best friend and her boyfriend (now husband)

It’s as close as I’ve come!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edward i held the door for a guy tonight. i was wearing a mask and he wasn't. he was very handsome. as soon as i finished thinking he was handsome, he smiled and said 'thanks for keeping me safe'

which was probably a shitty trumper comment about me being a lib cuck. seems overwhelmingly likely. but his looks massaged my brain and i choose to interpret it as 'i forgot my mask in the car, thanks a bunch for going masked in my stead'

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Museum story

All art is fake

All things are ads

Be The Best Asbestos Be Can You

You're a fake museum story!

• Options
    edward i held the door for a guy tonight. i was wearing a mask and he wasn't. he was very handsome. as soon as i finished thinking he was handsome, he smiled and said 'thanks for keeping me safe'

which was probably a shitty trumper comment about me being a lib cuck. seems overwhelmingly likely. but his looks massaged my brain and i choose to interpret it as 'i forgot my mask in the car, thanks a bunch for going masked in my stead'

hmmm what was the intonation like

• Options
    the intonation was sort of like 'way to be afraid of a virus with a 99.999% survival rate, queer'

• Options
    But also like genuine and sincere, right?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Happy Birthday, @Mim.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    this youtube video is called 'top 5 kills in the lord of the rings'

i'm already absolutely certain what at least 3 of them should be. if i'm wrong about any of them, i'm hitting dislike on the video. clicking play now.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The amount of RPGs in the Nintendo Direct was kind of wrong

Also good lord the AI upscale on Chrono Cross is barf inducing

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

i'm already absolutely certain what at least 3 of them should be. if i'm wrong about any of them, i'm hitting dislike on the video. clicking play now.
    the only reason to make this list is to spitefully leave off the stupid legolas shit

don't @ me

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »

the only reason to make this list is to spitefully leave off the stupid legolas shit

don't @ me

it had the three i wanted (lurtz, witch king, mouth of sauron)

it also included the two bullshit legolas moments

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    If one isn't Glorfindel killing a Balrog I don't want to hear it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    What about the treant throwing that goblin

• Options

It should just be Denethor getting kicked onto the pyre and then plummeting from Minas Tirith five times.

• Options
    Also daddy treant stepping on a goblin

• Options
    i didn't really want to include the witch king but i need to renew my membership yearly to feminism vogue

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

It should just be Denethor getting kicked onto the pyre and then plummeting from Minas Tirith five times.

one for the brave grape tomato that he gnashed

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I came to bed and there was a cat sleeping on my pillows, and he didn’t move when I got in the bed

Finally, he scrammed, but there was a standoff

The insolence

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Ok but it's better now so they should be paying the bored security guard a million dollars

Alternatively the security guard was not bored but was in fact doing a performance piece demonstrating how capitalism is the true death of art so they should pony up a million dollars for the security guard

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    this is your annual reminder that the Monster Group is a feature of math so fundamental that it only relies on a handful of axioms (ie: it only needs what people generally call "logic" to prove)

its not even a feature of "our universe". if the laws of physics in the universe were entirely different the Monster would still be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0oCDa74tE

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ted lasso s1 storyline
    i'm totally gutted by this depiction of divorce. both are kind and supportive to the other. and then personal experience makes the premise, the 'i just fell out of love, you did nothing wrong' thing sting even more. what an unexpectedly dark turn, given the first half season was generally so lighthearted

Be ready for it to get much darker. S2 is pretty unhappy and deals with some heavy mental health stuff (on top of COVID production challenges)

• Options
    ted lasso s1 storyline

Be ready for it to get much darker. S2 is pretty unhappy and deals with some heavy mental health stuff (on top of COVID production challenges)

Damn

Maybe I should hold off. I’m not exactly hardened against emotional turmoil rn

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    ted lasso s1 storyline
    I love how that show punches you in the emotional gut out of nowhere. It happens to me several times over the 2 seasons. The "lows" make the highs so much higher, imo.

ymmv, of course

This discussion has been closed.