As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek]: Now Playing: Lower Decks S3 (Latest seasons of current shows in spoilers)

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Also if I heard that right the shuttle
    that took Pike to the Enterprise was called Stamets?

Yeah
    Putting your obnoxious made-up scientist in the same league as Galileo is ridiculous, but Goldsman gonna Goldsman

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Also if I heard that right the shuttle
    that took Pike to the Enterprise was called Stamets?

Yeah
    Putting your obnoxious made-up scientist in the same league as Galileo is ridiculous, but Goldsman gonna Goldsman

Also even if it was the character of STamets, why does it matter? The sheer number of shuttles Starfleet would have - i'm sure there's a canon number per ship class, but we also know that some ships have Vehicle Replicators (albiet, those are from Prodigy, so might not be a thing in SNW/TOS times?) - means that shuttles are probably named all sorts of things. Hell there's probably a California class where all it's shuttle names are really specific memes. Or one where they're all maths jokes.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I know, I'm just waiting for the real Paul Stamets to find a way to fly through space on a highway made of mushrooms.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I know, I'm just waiting for the real Paul Stamets to find a way to fly through space on a highway made of mushrooms.

Somewhere on Discovery, a new shuttle is commissioned and named:

"She's a QUEEN!"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Heck, the very same episode semi-prominently featured a scout ship named for Archer, whose reputation among the fandom is... mixed, shall we say.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Shuttles and runabouts (if they even get the dignity of a name, rather than a number) seem to be named on the whims of the Captain at the top of their command chain. I can see Pike using the name to give a little bit of recognition to someone he's no longer allowed to actually acknowledge.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Shuttles and runabouts (if they even get the dignity of a name, rather than a number) seem to be named on the whims of the Captain at the top of their command chain. I can see Pike using the name to give a little bit of recognition to someone he's no longer allowed to actually acknowledge.
    I would name all my shuttles after Pokemon.

• Options
    By the by, there's a preview clip out for Episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dse9-kxMQLY

Just a cute interaction between Uhara and Hemmer. Also Pike just basting up some ribs in the background (I like that it seems that Pike takes pride in hand-cooking stuff, and his ready room has the facilities to do so - it's a nice little character beat).

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    As an actual visually-impaired person, in my experience no your other senses do not "compensate" and I kind of feel like that's a thing that people say to make themselves feel better about the fact that not being able to see sucks a whole lot of shit.

Maybe Hemmer's actor feels differently but I sure hope they cleared that line with him first.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    As an actual visually-impaired person, in my experience no your other senses do not "compensate" and I kind of feel like that's a thing that people say to make themselves feel better about the fact that not being able to see sucks a whole lot of shit.

Maybe Hemmer's actor feels differently but I sure hope they cleared that line with him first.

Aenar are suppsoed to have actual mild psychic powers and other enhanced senses, so it is in character. That said, you're right, i hope they cleared it. His actor is blind in one eye and mostly blind in the other, apperntly - so i'm hoping he's a big voice in what Hemmer would have to deal with.

(Do you mind me asking how you're impaired? I'm decently badly short sighted, but not so much i cant navigate without glasses - i just loose detail on everything and stop being able to read most text unless i'm up close. So basically dont think of myself as impaired at all, as i'm so used to glasses).

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I have heard people say they learn to use their hearing better - it doesn't become any better, but people take for granted just how much they can do with their hearing because it's so much easier to just look.

It's not the same but there are people who don't like the saying because it's wrong but also those who accept it because it's imprecise but it's easy.

That said, Hemmer isn't human. Andorians have a whole extra spacial/proximity sense that humans don't to begin with, and sight might not serve all the same purposes to them that it does to us. And the Aenar subspecies is mildly telepathic to boot, and in Trek rules telepathy is generally something that can be improved through practice, so he very well could be Daredevil, freed rather than constrained by the loss of one sense.

As the above two posts, I'd like to hear the actors opinion. The one thing New Trek has managed to do right is not create another Chakotay situation, but the representation in the cast hasn't been mirrored in the writer's room so there's lots of ways to fuck up.

Hevach on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Unlike the last time they had a "blind engineer" in Star Trek, who could see unless the plot demanded Geordi lose his sight, I hope and am reasonably confident they'll handle it better this time. Looking forward to what they come up with for some future accessible user interfaces. :)

T-bolt on
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular

This has come up before, but aren't runabouts fully fledged starships with their own unique registries and names? I thought they were distinct from shuttles in that way: shuttles have the registry of their ship, plus a sub-designation, whereas runabouts are independent starships.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I finally remembered where I've seen Number One before!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »

This has come up before, but aren't runabouts fully fledged starships with their own unique registries and names? I thought they were distinct from shuttles in that way: shuttles have the registry of their ship, plus a sub-designation, whereas runabouts are independent starships.

Yup, and they're supposed to all be named after various rivers (so far, only Earth's).

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Aenar are suppsoed to have actual mild psychic powers and other enhanced senses, so it is in character. That said, you're right, i hope they cleared it. His actor is blind in one eye and mostly blind in the other, apperntly - so i'm hoping he's a big voice in what Hemmer would have to deal with.

Yeah this is quite a bit different from a human with myopia or cataracts. Aenar are literally an entire subspecies that developed for generations in absence of the sense of sight.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    I think everyone here is familiar with the concept of aliens who don't have sight. The thing is that the scene feels framed (at least to me) in this kinda The More You Know, teaching moment-y fashion where it feels like it might be about something besides the arbitrary qualities of invented science fiction species.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I hope they do a god job making clear thats just an alien thing, they've established in Ent that Einar haven't had sight in a very long time so their species has adapted, they have additional sensory organs that humans dont have (antenna) that more than compensate for not having eyesight

Like, in-universe he isn't impaired and Uhura treating him as such when she read about Alien Sportsball before shows a failure in her characterization, Uhura should be the one explaining to someone that he doesn't have impaired senses at all, his species can't see

override367 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the show, but that clip is bizarre to me because Uhura should probably be the most alien-savvy person on the crew besides the ship doctor, and she's definitely going to be more savvy about social customs than anybody else.

I just don't buy that a) Uhura wouldn't be able to ID a Federation member species on sight, b) wouldn't know basic things like them being visually blind and asking them about it being an insult, and c) would just keep blundering ahead in the conversation with some ignorance of aliens right out of the 20th century. Even right out of the Academy, she's going to be proficient on at least the academic information about the species and how they're clearly annoyed about being asked about their eyesight. I get that it's supposed to be a sequence to inform the viewer about the species and its quirks, it just seems really awkwardly done and with the wrong character.

But I could definitely see somebody like Bones blundering in and going "yeah, I know you're supposed to semi-prescient and everything, but surely that's not enough to let you mince vegetables safely?", mostly on the ground of not giving a fuck about most social conventions.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I mean--

She also might have made an error. It does happen. Aenar aren't common, might have just gone "oh, totes an Andorian" and went from there.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I mean--

She also might have made an error. It does happen. Aenar aren't common, might have just gone "oh, totes an Andorian" and went from there.

And people being well meaning but offensive with disabilities, or perceived disabilities, is something that happens all the fucking time. Especially when they're coming from a place of wanting to help/ease perceived burdens (she explicitly notes she's trained to help people who are impaired)

I'm honestly bemused at how over analyzed this 45 second clip is getting

• Options
    I haven't seen the show, but that clip is bizarre to me because Uhura should probably be the most alien-savvy person on the crew besides the ship doctor, and she's definitely going to be more savvy about social customs than anybody else.

I just don't buy that a) Uhura wouldn't be able to ID a Federation member species on sight, b) wouldn't know basic things like them being visually blind and asking them about it being an insult, and c) would just keep blundering ahead in the conversation with some ignorance of aliens right out of the 20th century. Even right out of the Academy, she's going to be proficient on at least the academic information about the species and how they're clearly annoyed about being asked about their eyesight. I get that it's supposed to be a sequence to inform the viewer about the species and its quirks, it just seems really awkwardly done and with the wrong character.

But I could definitely see somebody like Bones blundering in and going "yeah, I know you're supposed to semi-prescient and everything, but surely that's not enough to let you mince vegetables safely?", mostly on the ground of not giving a fuck about most social conventions.

I agree it was insensitive on her part, especially since she was able to pick up on a popular sport of a species she only just learned about in the previous episode. But I have a feeling the scene was intended to feel less like an after-school special and more like an opportunity for Hemmer to act indignant and superior. Also no one's mentioned this yet but I'm wondering if there's a reason he almost seems to be channeling Jeffrey Combs.
    o4wul5xgtdnc.jpg
    I realize Andorian/Aenar hybrids are more on the teal/cyan side based on Shran's daughter (with eyes fully intact) but maybe he's a further removed descendant, birthed from a more Aenar-heavy lineage.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I want Shran back

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I want Shran back

Just have it be Shran's descendent. Son, grandson, not sure what the generational period is for Andorians.

Hopefully son, named after his father. And make him an engineer that deals with circuit boards and wiring. And given it's Coombs, a certain level of menace.

Shran 2, Electric Booga-blue.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I want Shran back

Just have it be Shran's descendent. Son, grandson, not sure what the generational period is for Andorians.

Hopefully son, named after his father. And make him an engineer that deals with circuit boards and wiring. And given it's Coombs, a certain level of menace.

Shran 2, Electric Booga-blue.

Get the fuck out.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean--

Also shes Cadet Uhura not Lt. Urhura she's still new and not a multi year vet of the crew yet. She can make mistakes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It also might just be a case of Urhura not being familiar enough with the Andorian's to recognize a member of a rare subspecies on sight and her Federation instinct for helpfulness kicked in when she saw the blind Andorian with a fuckin' knife.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    It also might just be a case of Urhura not being familiar enough with the Andorian's to recognize a member of a rare subspecies on sight and her Federation instinct for helpfulness kicked in when she saw the blind Andorian with a fuckin' knife.
    I mean--

Also shes Cadet Uhura not Lt. Urhura she's still new and not a multi year vet of the crew yet. She can make mistakes

Yeah, i just read it as her trying to be well intentioned helpful and promptly shoving her foot right in the mouth. Which is like... This happens all the time! Honestly, her fuckup is minor compared to the shit i've had to deal with from people who think they know better about various disabilites i suffer from. People can do all sorts of crap from the best intentioned places. The whole purity testing of characters where they're just not allowed to make mistakes is real fuckin' werid to me (Not calling anyone out here - it's just something i feel like i see in fandoms everywhere these days)

Random thought: I wonder if Hemmer getting pissed about people worrying about him being blind is the same as how we'd get pissed at a Shark-person being SUPER CONCERED we have no electroreception.

• Options
    Well the federation at this time doesnt have a great track record with handling disabilities compassionately as Pike will find out in about 10 years

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Well the federation at this time doesnt have a great track record with handling disabilities compassionately as Pike will find out in about 10 years

USE THE BEEPS.

• Options
    Well we could probably a rig an AI to scan his thoughts and let him commu-

BEEEPS!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The big monsters are doing a fine job. Let ‘em be.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I could actually live with it being canon that the bug monsters moved in to take over the Federation, found out they really liked it after they took over, decided to run things according to Federation ideals and standards, and then eventually took on their home empire as a peaceful member group instead of trying to conquer the galaxy.

They just get too much of a taste for that devious, insidious Federation root beer.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Well, We're two for two. What a great episode. Only a little bit of Hemmer, but that scene plays way way better in context (Funny that). Really appreciated the slow burn opening to give us time to get to know the crew more - what a great idea.

Also what a great sci-fi bullshit episode (i say this with all the love for sci-fi bullshit). Just great werid scifi, stuck up aliens, and all sorts of fun. Also so much Uhura!

Goddamn. They're really firing on all cylinders with this series so far.

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    I loved the design of the Shepherds' ship. It felt like it came right out of TOS with it's rotating bits and lights.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Anyone else first thought about
    whales when the sounds started?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    sullijo wrote: »
    I loved the design of the Shepherds' ship. It felt like it came right out of TOS with it's rotating bits and lights.

I also just enjoyed how smug they were, but also...
    how they fed into what seems to be the seasons meta narrative about fate and predestination, where they take things on blind faith to the point of threatening others if their faith was challenged. Some good writing right there!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Overall a good episode, I feel like I'm getting to know these characters better over the course of two episodes than I did with the Discovery crew after a whole season.
    Would've appreciated more procedure and explanation for how Uhura figured which notes would get the comet to lower its shields but it's nice to see this show doesn't require the big battle to end with one of the ships destroyed in order to resolve the problem. Think I agree with one reviewer who said it might've been better if Pike didn't know exactly when he would be rendered a vegetable so he wouldn't be tempted to just freewheel it for a decade and then take a vacation on the year he's expected to have the accident. That said, I like Una's suggestion that maybe foreknowledge doesn't have to mean what he thinks it means, that maybe it's just what he needs to see so he can find another way.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    That was fun! A classic premise with mostly solid execution and a nice little twist at the end. Real-world physics even comes into play (if fast and loose), Pike gets to have an extremely Kirk moment, supporting characters are fleshed out even more.

The dialogue wasn't quite as crisp as last time, we were treated to ANOTHER trauma-infused backstory - the only kind Alex Kurtzman and his cronies seem to know how to write - and I remain deeply meh at the current era's insistence on treating the big hero ships like a fucking X-Wing, but none of that hugely mitigates against the overall sense of fun and good-natured, humane adventure.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.