As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [TV] Thread, what a concept!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    CW just cancelled 6 more ongoing shows. Their ongoing scripted programming that's got at least one full season left is down to ten shows (half of which it's been...pretty hinted at will be their final season), with three more projects just announced ordered to series

Kinda gutting to see the slow dissolution of a network in realtime that I've watched at least one thing on for...15-16 years now? Since Veronica Mars and Everybody Hates Chris both started in 2006. End of an era

They canceled Naomi, which I believe leaves them with two superhero shows on the network, which is a stark change from when those shows were like...60% of the lineup. I'd also be willing to bet money that they're about to announce that the next season of the Flash is the last one, meaning they'll be down to just Superman & Lois, which is the biggest hit they have left.

They're launching a show about Damien Wayne called Gotham Knights (which sounds bad).

I would...not put money on that

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Odin wrote: »
    Halo
    Apparently the person Master Cheeks has sex with is the human lady who is with the Covenant, while she's been held as a POW... yikes

Pretty sure that's a war crime, Chief!

Technically
    They're both prisoners. Chief removed his emotional inhibitor so he's Feeling Things for the first time and quietly rebelling against Halsey and the UNSC. Cortana is supposed to be a failsafe override for Chief, but she also is starting to distrust Halsey, who is under house arrest.

Adddditionally Chief and the human prisoner have some kind of psychic bond over the Halo and have been shown mentally... communicating? In shared slipspace and they're working together at that point

Plenty to make fun of without saying Chief is warcriming a prisoner

Edit: to be clear, the show is dumb as hell and not good but I felt like being flippant about SA was maybe not a great look so I wanted to clarify to avoid any like, pain

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    That's fair, I haven't seen it myself but without context it did seem worse than it is when I read about it elsewhere.

Odin on
  • Options
    The CW is canceling Legacies, the last Vampire Diaries spinoff

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    CW just cancelled 6 more ongoing shows. Their ongoing scripted programming that's got at least one full season left is down to ten shows (half of which it's been...pretty hinted at will be their final season), with three more projects just announced ordered to series

Kinda gutting to see the slow dissolution of a network in realtime that I've watched at least one thing on for...15-16 years now? Since Veronica Mars and Everybody Hates Chris both started in 2006. End of an era

They canceled Naomi, which I believe leaves them with two superhero shows on the network, which is a stark change from when those shows were like...60% of the lineup. I'd also be willing to bet money that they're about to announce that the next season of the Flash is the last one, meaning they'll be down to just Superman & Lois, which is the biggest hit they have left.

They're launching a show about Damien Wayne called Gotham Knights (which sounds bad).

My information came from this:
    https://www.avclub.com/the-cw-cancels-4400-charmed-orders-walker-supernatural-1848919418
    but if the situation is in motion, I guess they could have also thrown the idea of that show in the pyre and not made the public announcement yet.

• Options

My information came from this:
    https://www.avclub.com/the-cw-cancels-4400-charmed-orders-walker-supernatural-1848919418
    but if the situation is in motion, I guess they could have also thrown the idea of that show in the pyre and not made the public announcement yet.

Mostly, I don't believe that a show on the CW is heepening until it airs, especially now

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The CW is canceling Legacies, the last Vampire Diaries spinoff

i'll probably rewatch the Jenny Nicholson video again in tribute

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Strange New Worlds is so good. They could just go ahead and stop making other Trek stuff and just make lots more SNW and I’d be happy.

I’m now positive the junior officers on SNW have had more character development in just these two episodes than all of Discovery combined.

Also I have a crush on Nurse Chapel.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Episode 2 was the most Star Trek-ass thing I've seen in a while, it hit all the right notes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Is Stargirl still going on the CW? I could have sworn that hadn't gotten a cancel order yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Is Stargirl still going on the CW? I could have sworn that hadn't gotten a cancel order yet.

The third season is set to air in a few months. Beyond that, who the fuck knows at this point. I'd bet on either outright cancellation or maaaaybe being shuttled off to HBO Max.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    apparently season 2 of Hacks is out? really snuck up on me

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    First two episodes. Second has a really good emotional scene that was well-played by Jean Smart. Definitely still one of my fav shows from HBO Max

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well, yeah. They need to know the triumphs and defeats, the epic highs and lows of high school spaceflight.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Man, Strange New Worlds is fucking good. Just a hell of a second episode. A really great reiteration of what the show's about, and a clear statement of intent. Pike continues to be a wonderful captain. Uhura and Ortegas are badasses. And they are getting some serious mileage out of the
    Samuel Kirk callbacks.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well, yeah. They need to know the triumphs and defeats, the epic highs and lows of high school spaceflight.

Archie's Game

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Halo
    Apparently the person Master Cheeks has sex with is the human lady who is with the Covenant, while she's been held as a POW... yikes

I really want to keep an open mind here but literally everything I hear about the show makes me hate it.
    not just the war crime stuff. And not just the fact That on a thematic level and on a practical level chief shouldn't be doing that at all. It just doesn't seem like they get or have any interest in the fundamental conflict and depicting it in a way that is consistent with that conflict.

Not only is it really silly that a human would side with the covenant it's even more ridiculous that The covenant would want human collaborators. Humans are essentially the reincarnation of their space gods and The covenant leadership is desperate for the rest of their side not to know that. There are very specific reasons that the covenant adopted a total genocide plan. It defines the conflict. It defines the mood of the piece I just don't see how they could possibly maintain that while making all of these changes that explicitly spit in it's eye.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I find that when you actually watch most shows all the sensational out of context Twitter takes become kind of ridiculous. Halo is fine, enjoyable if you’re into silly sci-fi, and not nearly as bad or insane as the kind of Twitter hot takes and “meme” reactions make out.

I went in expecting a shit show of insanity, but there’s been maybe one or two missteps that I can forgive if the show course corrects enough. Mostly it has some cool shit and your usual sci-fi show tropes.

The latest episode did have the Spartans fighting with gym equipment, throwing giant weights at each other and like kicking a weight so hard it bends. Which speaks to me on a basic “super humans fighting =cool” level

The sex scene thing is fine, both have agency, neither are really prisoners or have a specific power imbalance over the other, and in the context of all the psychic bond and forerunner dna linking them stuff makes sense for both of their characters. They’re both kind of “freeing” each other, but in a more general sense, and see the shared trauma in each of their pasts and are connecting with each other on that level. It’s hard to explain without going into the context of why she surrendered herself and how chief is unknowingly a prisoner too, at a certain point the take is just too flippant to bother contesting.

The only super dumb thing that the shows had is the specific scene where master chief launches at Halsey. If they can avoid something as dumb as that in the future it’s going to be a show I overall get a kick out of

It’s quite different to the games in many ways, but not like a whole other universe. Just humanises and has its own takes on a few characters and aspects. but mostly it works on its own, except in a few jarring instances where you can see the writers are still a bit wonky. Hopefully they clean it up for season 2

Prohass on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Halo

I really want to keep an open mind here but literally everything I hear about the show makes me hate it.
    not just the war crime stuff. And not just the fact That on a thematic level and on a practical level chief shouldn't be doing that at all. It just doesn't seem like they get or have any interest in the fundamental conflict and depicting it in a way that is consistent with that conflict.

Not only is it really silly that a human would side with the covenant it's even more ridiculous that The covenant would want human collaborators. Humans are essentially the reincarnation of their space gods and The covenant leadership is desperate for the rest of their side not to know that. There are very specific reasons that the covenant adopted a total genocide plan. It defines the conflict. It defines the mood of the piece I just don't see how they could possibly maintain that while making all of these changes that explicitly spit in it's eye.

All I can say is it makes sense within the context of the show, which shares stories and themes with the games but isn’t beholden to them. It’s definitely it’s own thing, but at the same time it shares a lot with the games and very much is exploring those conflicts.

I could go into all the details explaining all your issues but ultimately it would be a lot of work and I’d be basically typing out the synopsis. The covenant are still the covenant from the games, and the human character works within that context fine (she’s needed to activate the rings, not all humans can activate forerunner tech in the show, only rare special ones and only with training and discipline, forcing them doesn’t work, so that’s why they need her, but her own motivations and theirs are also explained, and they aren’t suggesting that the majority of the covenant knows about her, it’s implied that she is only known about amongst the covenant higher ups and elite). She was also 6 when she was abducted, and she grew up on a slave planet outside the UNSCs reach. So she didn’t “side” with the covenant, she was literally raised by them after her only experience of humanity being a merciless hell planet run by slavers
    She hates humanity for reasons the show explains well enough, and her motivation comes from that place, and the show explores that tension as she actually encounters humanity and has to come to grips with how she’s been raised and indoctrinated to believe in the great journey. Which the show reframes as taking the worthy onto the promised land, and so she assumes humanity is unworthy en mass, but it’s not made explicit. Essentially the covenant might tell each other that all humans are evil and unworthy, but they allow enough wiggle room in their indoctrination of her that she fills in the blanks, she hasn’t seen humans since she was a child, and hates them the way a mistreated child might hate a whole people, she hasn’t really been confronted with the reality that surely some humans don’t deserve to be “cleansed”. The show tackles that contradiction. It’s standard and fine and works well enough to keep the covenant mysterious but also provide a window into them for the audience

Her meeting master chief goes some way to making her confront this, but at the same time many steps the UNSC and Halsey take also confirm her own prejudices. Essentially it’s complicated, ie the way someone might adopt the religion of a conqueror and bend it to suit their own future and ideas. She hates humanity but she also doesn’t fully trust the covenant, she just believes their spiel about the halo taking the worthy onto the promised land, and believes humanity will stand in the way of that future. She doesn’t necessarily share the covenant core idea that humanity must be wiped out, because the covenant keep their promises vague and complex. No doubt promising to the ordinary soldier covenant that all their enemies will be destroyed, but having more nuanced religious promises for people like her, ie there’s a diversity and vagueness to what the covenant higher ups are promoting, which makes sense for a religious empire based on subjugating and incorporating other races. The humans are the enemy for the ordinary grunt, but for the human character the humans are simply standing in the way of the great journey, because they are either largely or wholly unworthy.

I’m not saying you can’t dislike it as a direction, but within the context of the show it works and it doesn’t really conflict that much with even the games framing of the covenant. Again for reasons that the show explains and make sense but would be a bitch to type out

My advice would be to watch the show if you’re interested. If not then hearing Twitter takes and half concepts summarised without context is probably going to make for a bad impression of most shows. Like I’m fine with criticism of the show but half the conversations I see are people explaining things poorly and then others who haven’t watched the show going off on tangents based on half nonsense retellings from people who seemed to miss key scenes or dialogue

Prohass on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Watched the second episode of Strange New Worlds, and I'll echo everyone else here that it was fantastic. It was a much better episode than the first one, and I hope they continue with more episodes like that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well Ive seen Dave Foleys dick.

Thats it for me everyone

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So yeah, also agreeing that the new SNW was fantastic. Really looking forward to Uhura's journey from cadet and Nurse Chapel continues to be fuckin' rad despite only having a few lines this episode.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Thats it for me everyone

You knew what you were doing when you paid for his OnlyFans.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Thats it for me everyone

Finally a newsradio reunion

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Thats it for me everyone

Finally a newsradio reunion

about that...

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/comedian-andy-dick-arrested-suspicion-sexual-battery-california-rcna28449
    Comedian Andy Dick arrested on suspicion of sexual battery in California
    The Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Dick, 56, was arrested after deputies responded to a campground area of a park Wednesday.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I just remembered that Joe Rogan was in Newsradio and he pretty much went on to become his character.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2022
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I just remembered that Joe Rogan was in Newsradio and he pretty much went on to become his character.

Maybe we can get Jon Lovitz to smash his face into a bar as well.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ah shit, Fred Ward??

What a legend...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Wait, Andy Dick is only now being arrested for sex crimes?

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Maybe we can get Jon Lovitz to smash his face into a bar as well.

Jon Lovitz going around fighting Hollywood assholes would be a show I would watch.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The not secret is that Jon Lovitz is also kind of an asshole, but less so than Andy Dick or Joe Rogan

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »

he was also arrested last year

• Options
    Am I misremembering things or did the show have Phil Hartman die in the same circumstances as real life? I just have partial memory of the episode after his death and one of the women talking about walking past his apartment and screaming his name and a sense that is was handled in a way that was a little too on the nose if not the same situation?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »

he was also arrested last year

He's been arrested at least five times before this. Like 4 of those have been for sexual assault.

minor incident on
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Am I misremembering things or did the show have Phil Hartman die in the same circumstances as real life? I just have partial memory of the episode after his death and one of the women talking about walking past his apartment and screaming his name and a sense that is was handled in a way that was a little too on the nose if not the same situation?

Phil died of a heart attack on the show.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Boy, can't wait to just ugly cry-laugh my way into a snotty mess, that'll be a memorable evening of entertainment.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Midnite wrote: »

Phil died of a heart attack on the show.

Curse you memory!

This discussion has been closed.