Options

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ridiculous farming related: is there a reasonable bicolor gemstone guide, so I can get wings?

I didn't get into ShB content until after EW dropped

If the vendor for the wings is in one of the zones you probably just need to do fates in that zone until the wings unlock and you can afford the wings. If it is on a vendor in one of the cities, I think the unlock requirement is doing enough fates in every zone until you have unlocked everything on the vendor that is in each zone.

There might be a group of people on your data center that are also trying to farm up the gem vendors and joining them would help things go a lot quicker.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Here's how to get the Fallen Angel Wings
    Once you've done 60 FATEs in every Endwalker zone, you'll unlock the vendors in Radz-at-Han and old Sharlayan who sell Bicolor Gemstone Vouchers. Those vouchers cost 100 bicolor gemstones each. You need 500 vouchers at a trader in Mor Dhona to get the Fallen Angel Wings. 50,000 Bicolor Gemstones. Which is 4000+ ShB FATEs (12 per FATE) or 3500+ Endwalker FATEs (14 gems per FATE)
    goooood luck

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Not sure if it’s still true but in SHB the vouchers were also buyable/tradeable

• Options
    they're buyable but they go for 160k each at the lowest so you're looking at well over 80 million gil.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Here's how to get the Fallen Angel Wings
    Once you've done 60 FATEs in every Endwalker zone, you'll unlock the vendors in Radz-at-Han and old Sharlayan who sell Bicolor Gemstone Vouchers. Those vouchers cost 100 bicolor gemstones each. You need 500 vouchers at a trader in Mor Dhona to get the Fallen Angel Wings. 50,000 Bicolor Gemstones. Which is 4000+ ShB FATEs (12 per FATE) or 3500+ Endwalker FATEs (14 gems per FATE)
    goooood luck

what the fuck

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I seem to recall you need ShB FATEs for relic memories. Is that right?

For the ShB relics? Nope, those used Heavensward and Stormblood fates (the latter was for one of the one-time-only quests).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ayy, single version of the trailer theme dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sgtpAo71dU

Still love that song <3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ridiculous farming related: is there a reasonable bicolor gemstone guide, so I can get wings?

I didn't get into ShB content until after EW dropped

As a reminder before you drive yourself utterly insane, Fallen Angel Wings take a total of 50,000 Bicolor Gemstones. (You need 500 vouchers, for 100 gems each).

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    edited April 4
    any guide is going to start and end with 'get in a fate group' but if you're forced to solo, blue mage is by far the best at farming FATES. I'd bet a level 80 blue mage farming SHB fates will be faster than a 90 job doing EW fates, if both are solo.

EDIT: Anyone interested in getting bi-color gems, I would suggest step 1 being to join a popular hunt discord. Centurio Hunts is the one that I'm a member of, but they organize everything from hunt trains to FATE relays to S ranks and there's always stuff pinging. Not sure what the policy here is about directly linking to discords, but a google search for 'Centurio Hunts' or 'Centurio Hunts Discord' should have it as the first result.

Javen on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I joined Faloop but I haven't kept good track of when stuff kicks off in there. I'll maybe check the Centurio servers as alternate

I knew the farming was ridiculous. I may keep track of voucher prices to help along the way. The wings themselves sell for ~90M gil which is a bit too rich for a cosmetic item.

I'm on Aether so I don't think it'll be tough to find stuff popping.

.....now to finish EW MSQ to unlock all the flying and all the zones.

• Options
    honestly just check Party Finder, see if there's any gemstone farms up or start your own, I think ithe servers will be a little quieter until DT drops but there's always someone on Aether down to join some rando and do FATEs.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    any guide is going to start and end with 'get in a fate group' but if you're forced to solo, blue mage is by far the best at farming FATES. I'd bet a level 80 blue mage farming SHB fates will be faster than a 90 job doing EW fates, if both are solo.

EDIT: Anyone interested in getting bi-color gems, I would suggest step 1 being to join a popular hunt discord. Centurio Hunts is the one that I'm a member of, but they organize everything from hunt trains to FATE relays to S ranks and there's always stuff pinging. Not sure what the policy here is about directly linking to discords, but a google search for 'Centurio Hunts' or 'Centurio Hunts Discord' should have it as the first result.

tbqh an 80 Blu, properly set with the right skills, could probably solo Ultima Thule FATEs.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Yeah but it’d be slower than just plowing through SHB ones

• Options
    edited April 5
    Especially since in ShB you'd be able to Ultravibration stuff. Hard to beat an AoE instant death.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 5
    I seem to recall you need ShB FATEs for relic memories. Is that right?

Heavensward for the first steps, then SB FATEs for the one-time steps in the middle.
    YggiDee wrote: »
    they're buyable but they go for 160k each at the lowest so you're looking at well over 80 million gil.

Yeah, I was gonna buy the Wivre Horn before the end of the xpac, but the price shot up from ~55m or so. Hopefully, a bunch of people grinding fates in DT will cause that to crash.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Especially since in ShB you'd be able to Ultravibration stuff. Hard to beat an AoE instant death.

It helps less than you'd think in FATE grinding, long cooldown and you usually have to take out several waves of things.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Benchmark/character creator/new graphics preview is out, has hrothgals
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is the performance I get with the settings I'll probably be playing at:
    6ut4a98k6v9m.png
    This is what I get at the same settings but with DLSS set to always on:
    bxzg677gacml.png

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    For shits and giggles (and to see how well the new graphics will scale to lower settings) I ran the benchmark at 1080p standard desktop settings:
    76b1rzauqmg2.png

I would say that even if you have a somewhat older mid range card (900 or 1000 series) you'll still be in good shape to play the game at standard settings.

The quality difference between standard and 'everything turned up to 11' is pretty strong, so if you have extra headroom you're going to be buying yourself a lot of quality.

More in depth takes follow:
    • Regardless of your settings everyone is going to get a big bump in quality without a lot of performance cost just on account of higher resolution textures for basically everything.
    • Ground textures are still pretty rough, but on high graphics settings you won't notice because of the new foliage density.
    • Lower settings will still see the bad textures due to significantly less foliage.
    • On high settings, shadows for people other than the main character are much better than they are on the current version of the game.
    • Shadows are much better in general, even when only comparing the main character's shadows on the live version with maxed settings to what is in this benchmark.
    • On lower settings, it's a bit jarring that non-main characters don't cast shadows in a lot of the scenes (this is true in the current version of the game too, but it seems more noticeable now that the shadows are so much better in general);
    • There is probably some combination of lower end settings that will net you npc shadows without a lot of performance cost though.
    • DLSS and FSR resolution scaling are by default set to only enable when the frame rate drops below 60.
    • DLSS disables other forms of AA even when it is not in-use due to the frame rate, but the engine seems to be using DLSS to do AA even when DLSS is disabled.
    • The DLSS AA is better than the highest setting for non DLSS AA (IMO).
    • When enabled, DLSS either works very well or looks like it it isn't doing anything at all (distant objects can get very pixleated with DLSS enabled)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Looks like my GTX 1060 is still managing to pull 9225 on 1080p. 34.763 seconds on the loading times, though, probably due to my lack of a ssd.

• Options
    Pulling 12.3k on an RTX 2060 at 1080p. And 7.6s loading times. God bless SSDs.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 14
    I pulled down a "Fairly High" so no upgrades are a priority for me.

Much more important is going to be getting a portable machine that can run the game, because I will be traveling a LOT soon.

Not a big fan of the max height limits for the new arrivals compared to the males and the spread on other races.

On the laptop front, if anyone out there has some experience with recent hardware and can recommend a unit that will be able to run this without breaking my wallet I would appreciate the feedback. I don't really want to get and cart around a PS5 on airplanes, but I will if I have to.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm surprising myself by how much I like the hrothgal I created. But also my old blue-skinned miqo'te looks fantastic with the new lighting system. I'm so torn!

I got Extremely High on my 3060ti at 1080p on my imported settings, which are mostly maxed out.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Looks like my GTX 1060 is still managing to pull 9225 on 1080p. 34.763 seconds on the loading times, though, probably due to my lack of a ssd.

I would very strongly consider switching to an SSD if you have the means. It's a huge quality of life increase.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I made a black skinned viera and it's hard to overstate just how much better those skin tones look now.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 15
    WXrBHTc.jpeg

Not going to try and match the lighting, but good enough.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    remember the way DLSS works by default is that it only activates if you drop below 60fps. 60 is quite a low fps target for a game like this, so if you're trying to get higher, make sure to set DLSS to always on.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    8777 with my 5900x/3080 at 1440p high with DLSS. I have a 32" 4K OLED monitor coming tomorrow and I'm quite curious to see how well my 3080 can keep up. So long as I can stay above 60fps I'll be happy enough.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    it's a bit annoying it doesn't label the FPS graph with what the actual framerates are, I'm assuming it's 30 per horizontal line but I'm not sure.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15
    ah, I tested it with MSI afterburner and each horizontal line on the graph is actually 60 FPS. Given that knnowledge, I should really be playing this at 1440p instead of getting 20000 score on 1080p lol. Oh well, maybe someday I'll have enough money to burn that an expensive monitor seems like a good idea.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 16
    Pandemonium spoilers, also a fun video by images with fitting FFXIV music(aka Fred)*
    Let's sing along to Athena, The Tireless One! Don't worry, all the lyrics are here :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRAaG4g-OgQ

*who you might know from these bangers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppTDJofMDvk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ki_jMfCrI

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Huh. At 4k my score is actually higher than my 1440p score by 20 points. Not sure how that's possible but I'll take it.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 16
    I didn't fiddle with the settings that much, just basically turned them all to max and turned on DLSS.

Got very high, and ran as well as I'd imagine it would ever need to. Bummed I don't get "maximum" anymore, but I just looked it up and my GPU is from 2018 and the cpu from 2019.

I'm fairly sure that even then, I'm still CPU limited (2080 ti on a ryzen 3600), and I got new 1440p monitors in the last year so I won't be going to 4k on my desktop anytime in the near future, so maybe I'll start looking into a CPU upgrade.

Not in any hurry though, once Dawntrail is out, doing 24m or hunt trains will be the best benchmark for the game. Then I'll know if I need to worry about that or can just keep carrying on with what I've got.

EDIT: I'm seeing some griping on the interwebs that some people hate how their character models look now, so I'll have to load up my character data later and give it a look.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I feel like elezen face sculpts changed the most noticeably, but a lot of lips feel a little different now.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Well that has me worried, as that's what I am.

EDIT: It's not much different than currently. The main difference is more shadowing around the eyes, makes me look a bit emo. Or like I need sleep. Which is fitting I guess, as I usually do. Doesn't seem any way to change it.

Face structure looks mostly the same, maybe a bit more prominent jawline? Neck feels thicker? I'll have to take some screenshots and look at it side by side. Wish I could load up gear data and get a better side by side.

I think maybe since my character looks damn near identical to Haurchefant with lighter hair (it wasn't intentional, I modeled my character here as close as I could to my character in FFXI, and that just happens to be the direction they apparently went with Haurchefant, but I get comments on it fairly regularly, despite having this exact basic look since XI and 1.0) it "protected" me? As I imagine they'd want to keep that iconic character as close to what people remember as possible. EDIT2: Oh, there's gear options. I didn't notice that. With the XVI gear, nice, I just glamoured that to my RDM outfit.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 16
    Yeah I'll have to get used to the chin/jaw with the more complex seeming facial animations. It makes it much more prominent. Otherwise looks pretty good. EDIT: Actually that opening smile is super off.

Switching between DLSS and their new AA solution doesn't seem to change my score at all, or even my FPS much really. Actually I don't think I really even noticed much or any of the usual DLSS telltale signs, so I wonder if it was even kicking in? If I read the settings right it is supposed to sub 60, but it went below that several times, mainly during that big combat scene early on in the benchmark. Maybe I'll try with it always on.

It's not clear to me what the difference between the TSCMAA and with Jitter on does. EDIT: Well switching to FSR to 80% under 60fps looks dramatically worse regardless. :( EDIT2: DLSS always on also looks bad. Lots of flickering , not sure what that's about.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 16
    Well that has me worried, as that's what I am.

EDIT: It's not much different than currently. The main difference is more shadowing around the eyes, makes me look a bit emo. Or like I need sleep. Which is fitting I guess, as I usually do. Doesn't seem any way to change it.

Face structure looks mostly the same, maybe a bit more prominent jawline? Neck feels thicker? I'll have to take some screenshots and look at it side by side. Wish I could load up gear data and get a better side by side.

I think maybe since my character looks damn near identical to Haurchefant with lighter hair (it wasn't intentional, I modeled my character here as close as I could to my character in FFXI, and that just happens to be the direction they apparently went with Haurchefant, but I get comments on it fairly regularly, despite having this exact basic look since XI and 1.0) it "protected" me? As I imagine they'd want to keep that iconic character as close to what people remember as possible. EDIT2: Oh, there's gear options. I didn't notice that. With the XVI gear, nice, I just glamoured that to my RDM outfit.

oh a video of a haurchefant lookalike in the benchmark is what led me to believe elezen looked more off actually, I feel like that face has a stronger chin than before, but maybe it's just my imagination, my memory of his face is foggy.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    My friend's got a bit of a conundrum in that the changes have made his viera appear a lot more youthful, when he'd managed to cultivate an older look out of the pre-DT options.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The free fantasias should help with some of that but it’d be nice if there were a larger grace period

• Options
    Looking at some benchmark threads on other forums I'm seeing people with very similar or equivalent hardware to mine getting double my scores at 1440 and 4K. I wonder if running it borderless fullscreen will give better results than exclusive fullscreen.