Options

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

1575859606163»

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Heads up: if you did the Yo-Kai event completely last time it was here, you can purchase the framers kit for 20k mgp.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Did they add new weapons for the jobs that weren't around last run or is this purely a rerun?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    It didn't offer me an option for Sage/Reaper minions or weapons, so I think those two are SoL.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Did they add new weapons for the jobs that weren't around last run or is this purely a rerun?

Purely a rerun

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no new minions or weapons this time, just the framer's kit and all the old stuff.

New blog post: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b8431bb99274ea8d2c685c3344d1d9f0db152d31

Interesting YoshiP letter about their processes for updating the benchmark, estimates may 23rd for when it'll be ready to release but that's tentative.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It isn't straightforward which ones I haven't done because there aren't "not done" achievements to check. So I have to count like a pleb

• Options
    edited May 2
    yeah counting is the hardest part
    write down a checklist in notepad or something for each job (minus sage and reaper)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, this Yokai stuff is pretty grindy. Honestly feels like it would take less time to grind out Atmas.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you can really tell that it's an event that was created in 2016 and just rerun

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They needed some filler content for the twixt-expansion lull to stop youtubers making endless videos about how Endwalker is dying.

• Options
    some of my friends combined grinding out the yokai stuff with getting enough copies of every atma to do all the ARR relics, it apparently takes about as long for both these days

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    some of my friends combined grinding out the yokai stuff with getting enough copies of every atma to do all the ARR relics, it apparently takes about as long for both these days

I really should've done that. At least I'm getting the resistance souls doing the fates in the HW locations.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Woo, got em all. Think I'm gonna start leveling up non-main jobs. I've got all the gatherers/crafters leveled (though I've never really made any money with them, lol, just there to have done it I guess). And WHM and DNC (my current main), plus Blue Mage. Got a couple classes up to like mid levels, 50-70ish. Wanna get em all at least above 50 to start.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I did 70-75 on blu today, pretty chill when you just use ultravibration then watch youtube til it's up again.

• Options
    I should figure out a good way to get some youtube or something up while I'm playing on PS5. Could put a laptop on my lap or on a TV tray or something. Right now I'm just using the spotify app on the console to listen to podcasts. Re-listening to Versus Wolves, since that's pretty much my favorite podcast ever at this point.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I did 70-75 on blu today, pretty chill when you just use ultravibration then watch youtube til it's up again.

There's an easy and fun way to level BLU in the Tempest. There's an area in the north west 'above ground' area where there are a bunch of little leech boys and another mob called something like Cilonid. If you tag a leech boy and drag it over to a cilonid it will eat it and you'll get the exp as if you killed it yourself. Note that the cilonid gets a stack of a buff and if it goes up to 3 you have a bad time.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Nope, atmas take about 50% longer. Average of 412 fates for all Yokai weapons and 600 fates for all atmas.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

Nope, atmas take about 50% longer. Average of 412 fates for all Yokai weapons and 600 fates for all atmas.

Welp, I'm gonna be doing that in a bit I guess. Getting all my jobs up to 50 and gonna do all the relics as I go.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Atmos aren't even the worst part. The books are worse by far. So tedious.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/NvgSO8-4x5A?si=m2PDTssajt6wLuOk

Just thought I'd share this, it's a criminally under viewed remix of Ifrits primal theme.

• Options
    Finally finished EW MSQ over the weekend. Have to do the patch content.

I don't know man. You guys really blew this story out of proportion. It's really just
    The heat death of the universe is inevitable so why bother
    which means it's basically
    the end of Fifth Element where her research concludes the Human Race/Universe isn't worth saving.

I'm probably the asshole.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    of all the possible readings of the story that is certainly one of them

• Options
    Assuming you're being serious and not like, sarcastic or something and I'm totally missing it:

That's like, the opposite message of Endwalker. The entire last bit is a rebuttal of that. That like, along with the anger and sadness and pain and despair that is life, which Meteion gets crushed by and can't escape and thus becomes the Endsinger, the avatar of despair, there is also joy and love and happiness and excitement and the bonds we create with those around us and that ultimately those things are what makes life worth living and preserving. You literally see that in the Endsinger fight, where your friends' love and faith and belief in you literally protect you from and allow you to defeat a literal manifestation of the concept of despair.

Idk, like, you can say the ending is overly earnest and a bit anime, but I was 100% about it, I thought it hit its message home excellently and it resonated with me.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Finally finished EW MSQ over the weekend. Have to do the patch content.

I don't know man. You guys really blew this story out of proportion. It's really just
    The heat death of the universe is inevitable so why bother
    which means it's basically
    the end of Fifth Element where her research concludes the Human Race/Universe isn't worth saving.

I'm probably the asshole.

Yeah,
    Meteion discovered nihilism and it was all down hill from there.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Assuming you're being serious and not like, sarcastic or something and I'm totally missing it:

That's like, the opposite message of Endwalker. The entire last bit is a rebuttal of that. That like, along with the anger and sadness and pain and despair that is life, which Meteion gets crushed by and can't escape and thus becomes the Endsinger, the avatar of despair, there is also joy and love and happiness and excitement and the bonds we create with those around us and that ultimately those things are what makes life worth living and preserving. You literally see that in the Endsinger fight, where your friends' love and faith and belief in you literally protect you from and allow you to defeat a literal manifestation of the concept of despair.

Idk, like, you can say the ending is overly earnest and a bit anime, but I was 100% about it, I thought it hit its message home excellently and it resonated with me.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess just that it didn't really tug at me like it did so many. I couldn't get into it because it went to overboard with "fuck everything" and then "well love and friends that we make along the way conquer all!"

I still am completely confused why people like Emet-Selch. Even seeing past-future him didn't make me feel he redeemed himself.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They certainly seem better at setting things up than resolving them, which is what has me tentatively excited for dawntrail
    Though I enjoyed the finale with Zenos because it was specifically ‘all this other bullshit is stupid, what would be cool is if we fought instead. Very kamen rider’

What I’m worried about is how long they’re willing to ride the ‘fun and breezy’ vibe they’ve been putting out for Dawntrail before falling back into the safe ‘you’re destined to be the chosen one’ stuff again.
    The bait and switch they pulled with the scions disbanding definitely soured my confidence in their ability to be less formulaic with the story.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    They certainly seem better at setting things up than resolving them, which is what has me tentatively excited for dawntrail
    Though I enjoyed the finale with Zenos because it was specifically ‘all this other bullshit is stupid, what would be cool is if we fought instead. Very kamen rider’

What I’m worried about is how long they’re willing to ride the ‘fun and breezy’ vibe they’ve been putting out for Dawntrail before falling back into the safe ‘you’re destined to be the chosen one’ stuff again.
    The bait and switch they pulled with the scions disbanding definitely soured my confidence in their ability to be less formulaic with the story.
    I'm not bothered by the fake out of the scions disbanding because they did disband, we're just still doing adventures together after hours as it were. Also because I like the scions and wanted them to keep being present in the story so wish granted. I wouldn't have minded leaving more space for new characters though. We'll see how it goes in Dawntrail but I'm expecting the whole gang minus Y'shtola to all be back together by the end of 7.0 MSQ, since everyone showed up in Tural in the cinematic except Y'shtola.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I'm not bothered by the fake out of the scions disbanding because they did disband, we're just still doing adventures together after hours as it were. Also because I like the scions and wanted them to keep being present in the story so wish granted. I wouldn't have minded leaving more space for new characters though. We'll see how it goes in Dawntrail but I'm expecting the whole gang minus Y'shtola to all be back together by the end of 7.0 MSQ, since everyone showed up in Tural in the cinematic except Y'shtola.
    She's there, right before Thancred's bit.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    oh, right ok

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess just that it didn't really tug at me like it did so many. I couldn't get into it because it went to overboard with "fuck everything" and then "well love and friends that we make along the way conquer all!"

I still am completely confused why people like Emet-Selch. Even seeing past-future him didn't make me feel he redeemed himself.

sex grandpa

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think the events in that expansion pack were there to redeem Emet, but rather to show how and how far the mighty had fallen.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited 8:57AM
    Are quotes not working?

Anyway, re: Emet; he didn't need redeeming.

What he and the Ascians were doing and the WoL and company are doing are two sides of the same coin. He was trying to save his world, and his people, from what was an unearned apocalypse. He turned his entire being into focusing on rejecting the notion of nihilism that lead to the Final Days.

From our prespective he was destroying the world we knew, but from his perspective he was fixing the world he knew. It was no less than what we've been doing since day one, we just feel more justified because from our perspective we're protecting what we thing is "right".

So is he.

Him helping at the end of 6.0 wasn't "friendship is magic", it was an acknowledgement that he lost. He lost his war, but he didn't lose his hope. And he accepted that the future wouldn't look like the past, but there should still be a future and that the Endsinger was wrong. Even though he might have vocalized that he'd rather destroy it all than lose, ultimately that simply wasn't true, he was just angry about all that he had lost, just like we have been throughout the story as we've lost things. His plight was purely a battle of wills against the very nature of the nihilism that was threatening everything; just because the world he wanted to save wasn't the world that we lived in doesn't mean he ever didn't care.

When it came down to it, the enemy we were actually fighting was the same one he was; it just took us proving to him, without any doubt, that we had the strength to possibly do what he couldn't (save his world, or even bring it back). So he helped, by using his powers to show that hope and struggle for existence never goes away, even when all seems lost, to show the one who actually destroyed his world that they were wrong and would always be wrong. Us fighting the Endsinger was just walking through the motions, the fight was already won; she was proven wrong already.

I like to think that, in the end, given his bit of petulance at the notion of returning and maybe someday part of him coming back, was a nod at his acceptance of the reality that the world we fought to save was the same world he was fighting to save, and that though we may be fragments of who once was, we were still parts of each other and were fighting the same battle.

I don't think the writers were trying to do any sort of real moral equivocating, I think they were just trying to be clear about how powerful the will to exist is, even in the face of utter destruction and a seemingly hopeless future. XIV has, in my view, the most justifiable series of "redemption" arcs for many of its villains. It's a trope that frequently doesn't work! And maybe for some it doesn't work here too. But for me, they do, largely (not always) an excellent job of showing that many of these people aren't just villains, but they're fighting the same fight we are, just on a different side. Every expansion has gone out of its way to make it clear that even though we may be on a different side from our adversaries, it's extremely rare that they are trying to hurt anyone or make things worse. They all thing their cause is just, and from their perspective they often are. Ishgard weren't victims of aggression from Dragons, they brought that rain down on themselves. Ala Mihgo wasn't a successful peaceful nation that was unjustly attacked by Garlemald, King Theodoric was a tyrant. The rulers of the first who pushed their Warriors to banish the Darkness and bring upon the flood of light weren't making innocent mistakes. They were drunk with power and colluded with the light. The ascians, prior to the Final Days weren't just some wise benevolent beings who were destroyed unjustly. They were callous and denying of new life that they didn't approve of, and didn't even tend to the needs of their own if their actions or emotions fell outside what was accepted.

Emet wanted to save his world and was willing to carve his way through hell to do it. It's literally what we've been doing for the last decade in XIV. Hell, Endwalker spends a good bit of time showing us the consequences of our "salvation" by making us deal with Garlemald, and how in every situation that we've encountered in the story of XIV, the people who suffer are the ones just trying to live, either by our hand or by our enemies. The only thing that is constant, throughout, that lends us a glimmer of being "right", is that what we've always fought against is the consolidation of diversity of ideas and thought and culture. Every instance of "failure" in the context of Endwalker and worlds who gave in, were those who were completely homogeneous, who had snuffed out weakness and differences and innovation. Emets biggest failing (beyond the genocide I guess :lol: ) was that he was so convinced that the world he was trying to restore was one of true perfection, that he failed to see the strength that came from not being all powerful, immortal, of one mind and process, and how the very thing he wanted to save was the thing that was the reason for its downfall. Same as so many other big bads in XIV. Just, few are able to see things with the scope he did to understand how to accept his mistake.

So if there was a redemption, that was it, just admitting that he was wrong, by helping prove us right; but ironically in doing so proved him at least partially right.

Anywhoo; if you didn't dig the story, it's all good? I mean hey, different things speak to different people. I mean, sure, my view is that Emet is one of the best villains in, well, media; but nothing is going to work for everybody.

The Dude With Herpes at
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand