As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Supreme Court Has Overturned Roe v Wade

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Presumably, every single clerk knows exactly how much legal authority the investigation has

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Presumably, every single clerk knows exactly how much legal authority the investigation has

Zero but non-cooperation may tank your career. Judgeships are politics.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I shudder to even think what SCOTUS opinions would look like without the clerks to write them

I dunno, a lot of the Alito written stuff just seems like him starting off with 'I've got a lotta problems with you people' and then free associating until he finishes 'Because 'Fuck you', that's why'.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I shudder to even think what SCOTUS opinions would look like without the clerks to write them

I dunno, a lot of the Alito written stuff just seems like him starting off with 'I've got a lotta problems with you people' and then free associating until he finishes 'Because 'Fuck you', that's why'.

My long running take is his opinions are slightly legalesed-up Facebook posts

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

From what I've gathered they are far more collected then that. He's got specific grudges he's hashing out and specific people he's trying to troll. Alito isn't some fly-by-night shitposter, he's an effort-shit-poster.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The entire thing is a transparent fishing expedition to punch down on the most vulnerable staff at the court. An actual investigation would start at the top, reviewing who had access to the documents, checking edit histories in the word doc, and then checking emails or suspicious log ins and file saves/transfers. (Though I'm not sure if they can actually drill data down that far.) A forensic computer firm could probably narrow it down pretty quick. But since they justices are untouchable and there's no mechanism at the court to force them to comply with an investigation, well then, it had to be one of the pesky kids that did it! Asking to search personal cell phones is some high school shit, and normally would be a last ditch effort of an investigation. And they would never demand that the justices submit to that.

Also, I'm sure the other part of this is that the court has been plagued by leaks after the Roe opinion leaked, and even though it's clearly justices doing it, they figure it's as good as time as any to figure out which clerks are talking to journo's on the side.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Maybe ten years ago I would have said that if you were smart enough to become a SCOTUS law clerk and then leak a decision like this you wouldn't use your personal device at all or actually print the fucking thing and mail it or use an encrypted message or whatever.

But, no, all these people are fucking morons so they probably emailed it from clerk.lawperson@hotmail.com to editor@nytimes.com.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Maybe ten years ago I would have said that if you were smart enough to become a SCOTUS law clerk and then leak a decision like this you wouldn't use your personal device at all or actually print the fucking thing and mail it or use an encrypted message or whatever.

But, no, all these people are fucking morons so they probably emailed it from clerk.lawperson@hotmail.com to editor@nytimes.com.

And if they worried a little about electronic surveillance their solution will have been to just print it on their personal letterhead and mail it in a hand addressed envelope with a personally licked stamp.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The "who leaked this" thing is a distraction from the greater issue

The greater issue being "this is an illegitimate court being used to legislate for the minority party with zero oversight"

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Lawyers are often very egotistical about investigations and internal policing interactions, it’s the arrogance. I bet 2 or 3 hire council, 1 will get a VA rep and maybe 1 person has insurance that will hire an advocate.

Where as there are 36 clerks, there should be 36 lawyers representing those 36 clerks.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    And they pulled the trigger today about 10 minutes ago.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Remember to thank your local Republicans for hating women.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    lots of pregnant folks in lots of states who were scheduled for an abortion today…..

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Fuck this country.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The most important question of course is how this will affect the Democratic party and not how it will affect the millions of women throughout this country affected by the law.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The most important question of course is how this will affect the Democratic party and not how it will affect the millions of women throughout this country affected by the law.

Think of the funds we can raise!

Ghouls.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    News link for the RvW decision:

https://apple.news/Avjaskr9qRlCaoYXIDg8iXA

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Ghouls.

Can we fucking NOT?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I’m just incredibly tired and frustrated

• Options
    Man sure would be cool to have some political leaders that recognize the moment we're in

Meanwhile Republicans are pushing some bullshit op "night of rage" thing as if donkeys will actually go out and riot lmfao

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Ghouls.

Can we fucking NOT?

While I agree, I don't think it's out of line to point out that I have in fact, already, started receiving fundraising emails citing this decision.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Ghouls.

Can we fucking NOT?

While I agree, I don't think it's out of line to point out that I have in fact, already, started receiving fundraising emails citing this decision.

That's different, and I agree there. *Sighs* Stupid marketing people and automated stuff.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Ghouls.

Can we fucking NOT?

A certain class of people, usually professional talking heads, will have this exact line of thought because politics is a game to them, a horse race, and not something that actually materially affects their lives.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I know a lot of folks only have one setting, but can you take your dunks on the Democratic Party over to the dumpster fire thread?

This is shitty enough without having to deal with the hottest takes about how this is Bidens fault actually.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Ghouls.

Can we fucking NOT?

Sorry, yeah, that's what I was going for there. I got an email just after I saw the thread update and it made me super angry.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I'm angry. Fortunately there's protests to attend.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

I always look and think local for the last five or so years as this horrible shit keeps coming down the pipeline, but I live in a deep blue state that has some issues with white supremacists and homelessness, but has otherwise been making a lot of good strides and is going I'm generally happy with the direction we're going. There's only so much I can do for the people in Texas or Florida or wherever, and they've been putting these twatwaffles in charge by overwhelming margins for longer than I've been alive, so much so that even if Roe v Wade hadn't been overturned, they'd still be throwing women who had miscarriages in jail and it would still be de facto impossible to actually get an abortion.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I know a lot of folks only have one setting, but can you take your dunks on the Democratic Party over to the dumpster fire thread?

This is shitty enough without having to deal with the hottest takes about how this is Bidens fault actually.

I'd think you'd respect me enough to recognize that I didn't always shit on the democratic party.

That said, man that really sucks that you have to read some people complain about politicians. That's definitely comparable to the pain people materially affected by this decision will face in the coming days/weeks/months.

• Options

Ghouls.

Can we fucking NOT?

A certain class of people, usually professional talking heads, will have this exact line of thought because politics is a game to them, a horse race, and not something that actually materially affects their lives.

Then let's be better, IMO.

And yeah, apologies, I thought you both were just saying it was something they were going to do, not that some stupid PACs or organizations had already sent out fundraising stuff.

*checks* Whew. The main PACs I get email from haven't sent out anything... yet.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Well Ive already gotten 3 fundraising emails talking about this ruling specifically.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I always look and think local for the last five or so years as this horrible shit keeps coming down the pipeline, but I live in a deep blue state that has some issues with white supremacists and homelessness, but has otherwise been making a lot of good strides and is going I'm generally happy with the direction we're going. There's only so much I can do for the people in Texas or Florida or wherever, and they've been putting these twatwaffles in charge by overwhelming margins for longer than I've been alive, so much so that even if Roe v Wade hadn't been overturned, they'd still be throwing women who had miscarriages in jail and it would still be de facto impossible to actually get an abortion.

Texas had more Democratic voters pull the lever in 2020 than any state outside of California and NY, and was less than 2000 people behind NY

They've essentially got millions of people stuck behind enemy lines. It's horrible.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I've never had my vote count for a presidential election but hey fuck me right it's my fault

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Texas had more Democratic voters pull the lever in 2020 than any state outside of California and NY, and was less than 2000 people behind NY

They've essentially got millions of people stuck behind enemy lines. It's horrible.

In Florida, Dems only lost the gov race by 32.5k votes, less than half a percent of the overall vote total.

Florida’s metro areas are in the same boat as Texas.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I hope Alito, Thomas et al are on a 90% spit diet until they kick the bucket

• Options
    edited June 2022

gcghh60706zz.png

idk who this is but it's a funny comment in this awful time

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Yeah, fundamentally the problem is the SCOTUS is just an unelected super-legislature that can do whatever the fuck they want if the people making up the court want to run it that way. And conservatives have spent the last 40 years or so making sure everyone that they put on that court wants to run it that way.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, fundamentally the problem is the SCOTUS is just an unelected super-legislature that can do whatever the fuck they want if the people making up the court want to run it that way. And conservatives have spent the last 40 years or so making sure everyone that they put on that court wants to run it that way.

But SCOTUS wasn't an unelected super legislature in 1973? That's only when you disagree with their rulings?

There have been 50 years and many democrat majorities to write laws, the institution of the Supreme Court is fine, blame your legislators if you're unhappy with the state of legislature because anything the court gives it can take away.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

But SCOTUS wasn't an unelected super legislature in 1973? That's only when you disagree with their rulings?

There have been 50 years and many democrat majorities to write laws, the institution of the Supreme Court is fine, blame your legislators if you're unhappy with the state of legislature because anything the court gives it can take away.

nah it's a dogshit institution that needs to be uprooted

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2022

The striking down of the VRA is an obvious example of what I'm talking about here. This SCOTUS is absolutely about overstepping it's bounds and making random rulings based on no precedent and will absolutely, as in the above example, not let the legislature get in the way of enforcing it's own vision of what the law should be. You could pass a law codifying the right to an abortion and this SCOTUS would just find a reason why it wouldn't be "constitutional" and strike it down. It is frankly not my problem if you are not familiar enough with the history of the supreme court to understand the ways in which they have been overstepping their bounds.

shryke on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Might want to read the middle of the post there
    "if the people making up the court want to run it that way."

This discussion has been closed.