As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Supreme Court Has Overturned Roe v Wade

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So was the final decision published even that different from the leak? If anything, the excerpts posted from Thomas are more directly terrible.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, fundamentally the problem is the SCOTUS is just an unelected super-legislature that can do whatever the fuck they want if the people making up the court want to run it that way. And conservatives have spent the last 40 years or so making sure everyone that they put on that court wants to run it that way.

But SCOTUS wasn't an unelected super legislature in 1973? That's only when you disagree with their rulings?

There have been 50 years and many democrat majorities to write laws, the institution of the Supreme Court is fine, blame your legislators if you're unhappy with the state of legislature because anything the court gives it can take away.
    Democratic majorities mean nothing in the face of a radical court hellbent on dragging us backwards on every major front. No law passed by democrats is safe from this court, constitutionality be damned.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So was the final decision published even that different from the leak? If anything, the excerpts posted from Thomas are more directly terrible.

Yes. Inasmuch that there are concurring opinions from Thomas and Roberts, even with Roberts siding with the liberals when voting.

There's also the official dissent opinion, something that was missing before.

But Alito's main opinion is pretty much what was leaked. Just now it has all of the citations and table pounding.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah, fundamentally the problem is the SCOTUS is just an unelected super-legislature that can do whatever the fuck they want if the people making up the court want to run it that way. And conservatives have spent the last 40 years or so making sure everyone that they put on that court wants to run it that way.

But SCOTUS wasn't an unelected super legislature in 1973? That's only when you disagree with their rulings?

There have been 50 years and many democrat majorities to write laws, the institution of the Supreme Court is fine, blame your legislators if you're unhappy with the state of legislature because anything the court gives it can take away.

The striking down of the VRA is an obvious example of what I'm talking about here. This SCOTUS is absolutely about overstepping it's bounds and making random rulings based on no precedent and will absolutely, as in the above example, not let the legislature get in the way of enforcing it's own vision of what the law should be. You could pass a law codifying the right to an abortion and this SCOTUS would just find a reason why it wouldn't be "constitutional" and strike it down. It is frankly not my problem if you are not familiar enough with the history of the supreme court to understand the ways in which they have been overstepping their bounds.

Conservatives have been manufacturing cases for decades to get them in front of SCOTUS so they can upend precedent. VRA was the straw that broke the camels back, but it wasn't a random ruling.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

The striking down of the VRA is an obvious example of what I'm talking about here. This SCOTUS is absolutely about overstepping it's bounds and making random rulings based on no precedent and will absolutely, as in the above example, not let the legislature get in the way of enforcing it's own vision of what the law should be. You could pass a law codifying the right to an abortion and this SCOTUS would just find a reason why it wouldn't be "constitutional" and strike it down. It is frankly not my problem if you are not familiar enough with the history of the supreme court to understand the ways in which they have been overstepping their bounds.

Conservatives have been manufacturing cases for decades to get them in front of SCOTUS so they can upend precedent. VRA was the straw that broke the camels back, but it wasn't a random ruling.

This in and of itself isn't an issue and everyone does it. The absolute batshit stuff SCOTUS does with those cases though..

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The Supreme Court routinely overrides the ability of Congress to make and pass laws that will benefit people in meaningful ways. It's not even that fucking new of a thing for them. It's an entirely undemocratic institution and is built entirely to retain a status quo of 18th c. america.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Oh obviously. I just said it was an obvious example because it's a law that Congress re-upped by overwhelming majorities literally 7 years before the Court decided it was outdated and not necessary anymore. It's just a blatant example of them making shit up as a way to assert themselves as superior to Congress rather then co-equal to it.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

Ask a different group of people and they were "overstepping their bounds" with Roe vs. Wade in the first place or gay marriage or whatever else.

Frankly it's not my problem if you can't see past your own biases but I thought I'd at least try for some introspection. By all means, carry on with the torches and pitchforks.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.

Kyle is a producer at MSNBC.

They're just getting started.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Ask a different group of people and they were "overstepping their bounds" with Roe vs. Wade in the first place or gay marriage or whatever else.

Frankly it's not my problem if you can't see past your own biases but I thought I'd at least try for some introspection. By all means, carry on with the torches and pitchforks.

Thanks for the permission

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Oh obviously. I just said it was an obvious example because it's a law that Congress re-upped by overwhelming majorities literally 7 years before the Court decided it was outdated and not necessary anymore. It's just a blatant example of them making shit up as a way to assert themselves as superior to Congress rather then co-equal to it.

The rulings themselves are Calvinball, no arguments here. Alito is communing with the ghosts of Salem to channel their opinions on rulings for a country that didn't exist for another 100 years after they died.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

go fuck off a cliff and eat a boot you asshole

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

The group of people you're referring to are not worth listening to in those contexts, is the thing. Their perspectives and opinions should be wholly ignored. It's not actually hypocrisy to not give the time of day to people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    What exactly did Roberts do here? I'm seeing mixed things.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Nah dude, this is you not even reading what people are actually writing. Maybe instead of randomly picking a post to vomit your thoughtless screed at you could actually engage with the argument at hand.

Again, let's look at the VRA. In 2006, by huge majority in the House (390-33 I believe) and unanimously in the Senate (98-0), Congress reauthorizes the VRA. This is a very clear signal of Congressional intention. In 2013, a mere 6-7 years later, SCOTUS strikes down part of the VRA in Shelby County v. Holder, stating that it was not responsive to current needs. Even though Congress had literally just said it was.

The current SCOTUS majority does not care what Congress does. It will just find an excuse for why it's not constitutional, even if that excuse is blatantly laughable. That's why they are functioning as a super-legislature that exists above Congress. Whatever the other branches do functionally doesn't matter because the SCOTUS can just invent a reason for why it's "unconstitutional" and rewrite those actions as it sees fit.

The branches cannot be co-equal if one of them can just overrule the other two on a whim.

shryke on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    [
    Jazz wrote: »

Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.

That would lead to secession. There will be some states that have no interest in being a union with any regions that prohibit contraception.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Oh hey look, it's the difference of opinion fallacy. Despite what nearly a century of wrong-headed propaganda has taught all of us, not every opinion is of equal merit.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    [

That would lead to secession. There will be some states that have no interest in being a union with any regions that prohibit contraception.

That's what they fucking want

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Side with the hard right while pretending he's not sweeping aside precedent and he won't go further (until next time, when he will go further).

The same thing he always does.

Fun fact: twice I typed fuhrer instead of further.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    [

No, that's what the people who don't understand the ramifications of secession want, as it turns out the states of a retrograde South no longer able to depend on the largesse of blue donor states would see their economy crumble. No, the elites want to use the court to force their preferences on the rest of us.

• Options
    [

I am gonna go out on a limb as say that no less than 80% of the adult population utilizes some form of contraception regularly. We are on the verge of learning just how many conservatives are willing to sacrifice their own comfort to secure their victory in the culture war.

• Options
    [

I am gonna go out on a limb as say that no less than 80% of the adult population utilizes some form of contraception regularly. We are on the verge of learning just how many conservatives are willing to sacrifice their own comfort to secure their victory in the culture war.

(looks at the book Dying of Whiteness, about how conservatives support policies that are literally killing them)

...I have bad news for you.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

They should have quoted him. What he actually said is even worse.

Jon Swaine of the Washington Post: Clarence Thomas: SCOTUS has "a duty to 'correct the error' established" in landmark cases on the rights to contraception, same-sex relationships and same-sex marriage

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Hey genius if abortion was legalized on the federal level the SCOTUS would've just killed that law today too

• Options

Side with the hard right while pretending he's not sweeping aside precedent and he won't go further (until next time, when he will go further).

If Roberts had still been the "swing" vote he would have more politely ended the right to abortion.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Viskod wrote: »

Jon Swaine of the Washington Post: Clarence Thomas: SCOTUS has "a duty to 'correct the error' established" in landmark cases on the rights to contraception, same-sex relationships and same-sex marriage

But not Loving V Virginia, of course!

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular

Hey genius if abortion was legalized on the federal level the SCOTUS would've just killed that law today too

That wouldn't happen.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

The group of people you're referring to are not worth listening to in those contexts, is the thing. Their perspectives and opinions should be wholly ignored. It's not actually hypocrisy to not give the time of day to people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

No no no, you see because Nazi scumbags might disagree with us, @Lanlaorn is totes right that it is WE who can't see past our biases...

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

wouldn't even put it past him at this point

he's a very reliable soldier

• Options
    [

(looks at the book Dying of Whiteness, about how conservatives support policies that are literally killing them)

...I have bad news for you.

I have a friend (that I don't speak with much anymore) that told me if birth control pills are made illegal then he and his wife will just use condoms. I said, "You'll never let the government take away your AR but you'll gladly let them dictate what you do in your own bedroom?"

He didn't have an answer to that then, but he'll need one soon enough.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

If Roberts had still been the "swing" vote he would have more politely ended the right to abortion.

Yea he wrote a concurrence that says exactly that in almost the at exact language

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    [

No, that's what the people who don't understand the ramifications of secession want, as it turns out the states of a retrograde South no longer able to depend on the largesse of blue donor states would see their economy crumble. No, the elites want to use the court to force their preferences on the rest of us.

I have mixed feelings on the thought of America splitting. And I’ll note that I’m Canadian, so you know, not my country, and I don’t have any great emotional attachment to America.

But to me it comes down to whether it’s better in the long term for America and the world if it splits up or stays together. I recognize that in the short term at least, it’s better for a lot of people in places like Texas and Florida and Alabama if they remain part of the US, and leaving the US would cause the pain and suffering they’re already experiencing to increase exponentially. On the other hand, right now there’s a modern nation with decent values on the whole that’s shackled to a corpse, and it looks like the corpse is dragging it down. Once it drowns not only will those people in Red areas suffer just as badly as they would after a split, but so will people in the Blue areas.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

He doesn't like repeating himself. He already said that Loving was decided wrong in his Obergefell opinion.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

He doesn't like repeating himself. He already said that Loving was decided wrong in his Obergefell opinion.

I should have guessed.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Its an important point you raise. This (not just Roe but complete unchallengeable control of the law) has been the endgame that they have spent 4 decades working towards.

This has been a multi-generational project.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It's not that it's not unchallengeable. It's that no one in power either wants to or has the guts to be the lightning rod that says "Fucking make me" with all these bullshit proclamations.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

On way to the court

Incredibly normal stuff here. Obviously this is the correct measure to take when you're acting in the interest of the people.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

The funny part is that most of what he cites as precedence is himself. Calling upon the strict history of "I said so, fuck you."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    It's not that it's not unchallengeable. It's that no one in power either wants to or has the guts to be the lightning rod that says "Fucking make me" with all these bullshit proclamations.

But that has been part of the project. It is not just about putting fascists in charge, it has also been about building up the reputation and feeling of powerfulness of the Court as a concept at the same time as debasing it as an actual institution.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Already I'm hearing the chants of "vote vote vote" when I've been voting voting voting for 6-7 years now and nothing ever changes. Why am I being made to feel like this is a failing of me and my peers when it's clearly a system setup to make us all miserable. This is punching down so hard on poor folks, minorities, anyone who lives in bumblefuck nowhere USA who can't afford to move to a more liberal city to get the medical attention they need

This shit is so infuriating I feel like a ping pong ball just be slammed back and forth and somehow we're supposed to do something about this

Like rent is skyrocketing, people are still getting paid under ten dollars an hour all over, and now they're gonna force you to have a kid? For having the audacity to find some small joy in your life? Man I hate this from top to bottom

This discussion has been closed.