As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Supreme Court Has Overturned Roe v Wade

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Already I'm hearing the chants of "vote vote vote" when I've been voting voting voting for 6-7 years now and nothing ever changes. Why am I being made to feel like this is a failing of me and my peers when it's clearly a system setup to make us all miserable. This is punching down so hard on poor folks, minorities, anyone who lives in bumblefuck nowhere USA who can't afford to move to a more liberal city to get the medical attention they need

This shit is so infuriating I feel like a ping pong ball just be slammed back and forth and somehow we're supposed to do something about this

Like rent is skyrocketing, people are still getting paid under ten dollars an hour all over, and now they're gonna force you to have a kid? For having the audacity to find some small joy in your life? Man I hate this from top to bottom

Because the minimum price for change is 50 reliable democrat senators.

And if you want to overthrow the government it's a lot easier to do when local government supports you.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

On way to the court

Incredibly normal stuff here. Obviously this is the correct measure to take when you're acting in the interest of the people.

So odd the response is so quick now, but not on 1/6.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.

Kyle is a producer at MSNBC.

They're just getting started.

They should have quoted him. What he actually said is even worse.

Jon Swaine of the Washington Post: Clarence Thomas: SCOTUS has "a duty to 'correct the error' established" in landmark cases on the rights to contraception, same-sex relationships and same-sex marriage

But not Loving V Virginia, of course!

He doesn't like repeating himself. He already said that Loving was decided wrong in his Obergefell opinion.

I should have guessed.

It's a mindfuck of a read.
    Thomas wrote:
    Petitioners’ misconception of liberty carries over into their discussion of our precedents identifying a right to marry, not one of which has expanded the concept of “liberty” beyond the concept of negative liberty. Those precedents all involved absolute prohibitions on private actions
    associated with marriage. Loving v. Virginia, 388 U. S. 1 (1967), for example, involved a couple who was criminally prosecuted for marrying in the District of Columbia and cohabiting in Virginia, id., at 2–3.5 They were each sentenced to a year of imprisonment, suspended for a term of 25 years on the condition that they not reenter the Commonwealth together during that time.

He couches it in the idea that liberty, freedom, and justice for all, don't mean what they're commonly thought they mean. He especially doesn't think that liberty should apply to marriage and uses Loving to make his point there. Which is that states and states alone should decide who/what marriage should belong to.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, fundamentally the problem is the SCOTUS is just an unelected super-legislature that can do whatever the fuck they want if the people making up the court want to run it that way. And conservatives have spent the last 40 years or so making sure everyone that they put on that court wants to run it that way.

But SCOTUS wasn't an unelected super legislature in 1973? That's only when you disagree with their rulings?

There have been 50 years and many democrat majorities to write laws, the institution of the Supreme Court is fine, blame your legislators if you're unhappy with the state of legislature because anything the court gives it can take away.

The striking down of the VRA is an obvious example of what I'm talking about here. This SCOTUS is absolutely about overstepping it's bounds and making random rulings based on no precedent and will absolutely, as in the above example, not let the legislature get in the way of enforcing it's own vision of what the law should be. You could pass a law codifying the right to an abortion and this SCOTUS would just find a reason why it wouldn't be "constitutional" and strike it down. It is frankly not my problem if you are not familiar enough with the history of the supreme court to understand the ways in which they have been overstepping their bounds.

Ask a different group of people and they were "overstepping their bounds" with Roe vs. Wade in the first place or gay marriage or whatever else.

Frankly it's not my problem if you can't see past your own biases but I thought I'd at least try for some introspection. By all means, carry on with the torches and pitchforks.

Hey genius if abortion was legalized on the federal level the SCOTUS would've just killed that law today too

That wouldn't happen.

Why not? The majority of the SCOTUS was put on the bench EXPLICITLY FOR THIS PURPOSE.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It's so head turningly bizarre, like what askew parallel universe is his brain even coming from? Every state sovereign unto itself, except for when the jackpot needs to come down, in which case federal rule over everything else.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Biden making a statement currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwJNcbw_3w

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Those crazy sumbitchs actually did it. Don't think they'll like the end result though - these dogs have been chasing this car for a long time. Pretty sure the midterms just swung hard in Democrats favor.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    JRosey wrote: »
    Those crazy sumbitchs actually did it. Don't think they'll like the end result though - these dogs have been chasing this car for a long time. Pretty sure the midterms just swung hard in Democrats favor.

Lol

Edit: we knew it was coming and the response is “judicial committee will have a hearing next month,” a poem, fundraising emails, and whatever Biden is saying at the moment

A party poised to actually lead a movement to protect women would have a lot better response than that

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It doesn't feel like enough, but volunteering with local Planned Parenthood and giving as much of my salary as I can away to useful causes like the National Network of Abortion Funds and the National Advocates for Pregnant Women is what I'm trying to do right now. Also doing early get out the vote canvassing and phone/text banking. Also looking for protests and calling people. And going to Pride and trying to remind myself that a huge majority of people in the US support a woman's right to choose even if our governmental structure is horrific.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

There's always another car for the Republicans to chase and they outlined the next three cases they want to overturn to run on which is to get rid of contraceptives and LGBTQ+ rights

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Biden making a statement currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwJNcbw_3w

"In my view" multiple times. Goddamn he's such a weak speaker.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

Lol

Edit: we knew it was coming and the response is “judicial committee will have a hearing next month,” a poem, fundraising emails, and whatever Biden is saying at the moment

A party poised to actually lead a movement to protect women would have a lot better response than that

SHE READ A POEM, I WOULD NOT HAVE BELIEVED IT EXCEPT I WATCHED IT, IT'S INSANE

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    For people who live in the DC area, you can check Taylor Moore's twitter feed for suggested places to protest https://twitter.com/taylordotbiz

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

There's always another car for the Republicans to chase and they outlined the next three cases they want to overturn to run on which is to get rid of contraceptives and LGBTQ+ rights

Yeah, those will be political suicide as well.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

On way to the court

Incredibly normal stuff here. Obviously this is the correct measure to take when you're acting in the interest of the people.

So odd the response is so quick now, but not on 1/6.

Oh those people were quick to show up on 1/6 too.

They were just playing offense instead of defense that day.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

They won't be because they win and get what they want.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Such political suicide that they have been campaigning on doing it our whole lifetime.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

They won't be because they win and get what they want.

And the supreme court doesn't have to worry about being voted out of office, so they have no accountability, no fear

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The most important question of course is how this will affect the Democratic party and not how it will affect the millions of women throughout this country affected by the law.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Such political suicide that they have been campaigning on doing it our whole lifetime.

That's my whole point. The dogs caught the car. Now what? My bet is on the car winning.

• Options

That's my whole point. The dogs caught the car. Now what? My bet is on the car winning.

What? I don't think this metaphor works. Are you being sincere now, or are you trolling the libs and the leftists again?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    What a garbage country full of garbage people

Just a complete joke of a “democracy”

I’m so fucking fed up with fighting and clawing and voting and protesting, and losing basic rights because the Shadow Council decrees it

Women are going to die because of some frat boys and their cult beliefs getting onto the Grand Ultimate Synod

And then they get free protection from the jackboot gang because we can’t have them be too afraid of the populace they are murdering

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

What? I don't think this metaphor works. Are you being sincere now, or are you trolling the libs and the leftists again?

The goose trolls every single thread with contrarian nonsense for the sake of goading people. Just ignore and move on.

• Options

I am not a troll, I just have thoughts and opinions that are 5% different than the rest of the forum. I'd appreciate even a modicum of good faith argument, thanks.

GOP = dogs. Car = Roe v Wade. When dogs catch cars, they usually get sent under the wheels. That's what that saying. The GOP might have "won" by overturning Roe, but it's going to cost them dearly in November (and I would argue multiple Novembers to come).

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Whitmer did this right. Sued to block the old law in Michigan from going into effect and thus far has won. Took pre-emptive material action. National Dems could learn some things from her.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The most important question of course is how this will affect the Democratic party and not how it will affect the millions of women throughout this country affected by the law.

Yes, there exist posts which talk about the political ramification of this, you're so clever

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I think in order for “dog catches car” to be an applicable metaphor, the theocratic right in America would have to have been working on this for less time than half a century. I hope that they’re mistaken about how much power they have consolidated and I certainly plan to do my best to prove them wrong, but to assume that the GOP accidentally threw away the wedge issue they’ve been using to animate the evangelical and Catholic wings of their base for my entire lifetime strikes me as either foolish optimism or willful blindness.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

I am not a troll, I just have thoughts and opinions that are 5% different than the rest of the forum. I'd appreciate even a modicum of good faith argument, thanks.

GOP = dogs. Car = Roe v Wade. When dogs catch cars, they usually get sent under the wheels. That's what that saying. The GOP might have "won" by overturning Roe, but it's going to cost them dearly in November (and I would argue multiple Novembers to come).

I mean, I hope so, but I'm not optimistic. I suspect the more appropriate metaphor involves sharks and blood.

Calica on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    While it certainly hoped that RvW will cause people to turn against the GOP, there is no evidence of that happening. This is more like a dog catching a bacon strip and being hungry for more.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Except they’ve rigged it thus that they can’t really lose by enough for this to be changed within the next 30 years and the growing echoing response seems to be that this was really the democrats fault. I generally expect this to result in resounding republican wins. This is their politicians delivering on campaign and career promises big time.

• Options
    If we lived in a legit democracy, they'd get crushed in November as a result. But we don't and most members of Congress don't face competitive elections ever so. Yeah.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

No it won't. The Republican voters who are affected by this will continue voting for Republicans, because Republicans are planning on removing rights from LGBTQ and non-white people, and that's more important to them than their own rights.

Hell, this'll probably encourage more Republican women to vote because now they have less rights than the gays and the blacks, and if there's one thing Republican voters will always strive for, it is to make sure that there is a group of people who are worse off than they are.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Except they’ve rigged it thus that they can’t really lose by enough for this to be changed within the next 30 years and the growing echoing response seems to be that this was really the democrats fault. I generally expect this to result in resounding republican wins. This is their politicians delivering on campaign and career promises big time.

I just got an email from my GOP Representative with the subject line “At last - an answer to our prayers” if you want a little anecdotal window into how frightened the rank and file appear to be of the car they’ve caught.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options

70% of Americans favor Roe. That's a mind bogglingly large percentage in today's political economy. The only people blaming democrats are leftists. Independent voters matter, even to senators.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This time next year it will be same sex marriage and birth control.

• Options
    Yeah, the GOP has been running on overturning Roe for 40 years, they're largely a white Christian nationalists party, and have been for decades, or people who are ok with collaboration so they can have their guns or their tax breaks or whatever

The supreme court is now going to go after all birth control, then gay rights, then racial minority rights, they've said this

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2022
    There are a lot better people to be angry at than each other. I know (...almost) everyone is somewhere between extremely upset and righteously indignant, but I want everyone to endeavor to keep their rage focused on the people responsible instead of taking it out on easier targets we disagree with less strenuously here.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

I just got an email from my GOP Representative with the subject line “At last - an answer to our prayers” if you want a little anecdotal window into how frightened the rank and file appear to be of the car they’ve caught.

Why would we expect them to feel threatened? Optimistically, I want them to be as complacent in their permenant inevitability as Dems were in 2010 when they got obliterated. It is up to us to punish them.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    This time next year it will be same sex marriage and birth control.

That's optimistic.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    There's no magical ruling that will stop Republicans from being terrible people. The only thing that'll stop them is for good people to make them, that's it, period. The rest is wishful thinking.

edit: this is in response to that ridiculous dog and car analogy

Lilnoobs on
This discussion has been closed.