As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I have a space P-38 now

*image snip*

Very nice! I've been tempted to pick up the Warden variant so I can face-roll through the space bounty missions. Right now, I've been using my Sabre, but that thing can actually get damaged, whereas the Warden is like a honey badger in that it just doesn't give a shit.
    Looking at it on Erkul now, can you no longer gimbal the 4xS2s?

I tried it at some Expo-past, and, relative to the Sabre, the DPS was already a little anemic without a gunner, and that was compounded by a crazy high EM signature that mades it impossible to sneak up on anyone.

I've still got it on my wishlist as an EW platform, pending the implementation of whatever that is meant to eventually entail.

And NPC pilots so I can sit in the back and do all the fun stuff.

From what I remember, pilots are the one things NPCs aren't going to be able to do. Maybe CIG have said something different since, but they were pretty firm on "no automated ships" thing.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Pretty sure those are the nose guns, so turreting them wouldn't make much sense. Now, granted, the nose guns are only S2s compared to the Sabre's S3 guns...but the thing that makes slicing through the NPC space bounties is that S5 chin cannon. I've had NPC bounties not even get a shot off because they just melted once the chin cannon opened up.

I did like it for quick stand-off kills. But I was probably using the S5 cannon, which meant once I closed to a proper scuffle I was left relying mostly on the S2s. Which isn't terrible, but the Sabre works better for me in the tight scraps.

They can also rock 16 S2 missiles, which is nice, but I dare not speak of such things around the Tana, least I fall victim to yet another murder-suicide by autoland, find she has torn out her components in an attempt to barricade the cockpit, or am forced to contend with whatever new form of protest the latest update has placed at her disposal.
    Hellbore wrote: »
    From what I remember, pilots are the one things NPCs aren't going to be able to do. Maybe CIG have said something different since, but they were pretty firm on "no automated ships" thing.

Booooo. I was kind of hoping that might be a mission in S42.

I guess it could still be. That's definitely more of gameplay decision than a technical hurdle, and I can see not wanting it in the MMO version.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So, taken off three times from Orison, landed on Grim Hex, had to log back to menu due to inventory issues, and the game puts me back at Orison. :rotate:

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    So, taken off three times from Orison, landed on Grim Hex, had to log back to menu due to inventory issues, and the game puts me back at Orison. :rotate:

I just looked up the Scorpius, which is allegedly for rent today.

Single seater, 8 gimballed S3s. Perhaps the game is trying tell you that you forgot to pick one up?

Alternatively: It is trying to save the galaxy from a plague of Scorpii that is bursting forth from Orison.

• Options

I just looked up the Scorpius, which is allegedly for rent today.

Single seater, 8 gimballed S3s. Perhaps the game is trying tell you that you forgot to pick one up?

Alternatively: It is trying to save the galaxy from a plague of Scorpii that is bursting forth from Orison.

Vision Center is currently not working, so the universe is definitely not trying to sell me a Scorpius. I think I’ve been consigned to the first circle of Crusader for clipping too many friendlies in bunkers.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, its sounding like the servers are (surprise!) completely shitting the bed with all the new players trying out the free-fly. Probably not a great experience for those guys. Also some people who accumulated a lot of stuff in the previous patch are running into issues; when a new major patch drops you have to pick your starting location again, and all of your stuff is moved there. Which, if you've got several big piles of loot distributed between several locations, means that your local inventory immediately goes over capacity and you can't store anything else until you get rid of all your excess stuff. Via the new and clunky sell menu, one item at a time...

I did the Javelin tour, not having done so last time around. Its neat! I'm thinking I might do a run to GrimHex and pick up a big pile of guns ahead of the FPS event; Orison does sell guns, but only Crusader-made varieties, which is basically a single type of pistol and shotgun.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Yeah, its sounding like the servers are (surprise!) completely shitting the bed with all the new players trying out the free-fly. Probably not a great experience for those guys. Also some people who accumulated a lot of stuff in the previous patch are running into issues; when a new major patch drops you have to pick your starting location again, and all of your stuff is moved there. Which, if you've got several big piles of loot distributed between several locations, means that your local inventory immediately goes over capacity and you can't store anything else until you get rid of all your excess stuff. Via the new and clunky sell menu, one item at a time...

I did the Javelin tour, not having done so last time around. Its neat! I'm thinking I might do a run to GrimHex and pick up a big pile of guns ahead of the FPS event; Orison does sell guns, but only Crusader-made varieties, which is basically a single type of pistol and shotgun.

Area 18 is good for gun variety.

Also: stopped by the Crusader showroom and stuck an AD5B gatling on the Vanguard.

gvnx1g6un9hk.png

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular

I guess it could still be. That's definitely more of gameplay decision than a technical hurdle, and I can see not wanting it in the MMO version.

Oh, I can definitely see a S42 mission where the player is a turret gunner in a Hurricane or something for at least a short section.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Oh, I can definitely see a S42 mission where the player is a turret gunner in a Hurricane or something for at least a short section.

I've always assumed this would be a thing.

No NPC pilots has always meant to me that you can't just launch the half dozen fighters you own with hired AI pilots in the PSU.

AI pilots in general are obviously going to be a thing because, I mean, duh.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Biding my time, waiting for the Ares Ion to get to the Expo hall so I can rent it and take in the Bounty money for the next two days

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Biding my time, waiting for the Ares Ion to get to the Expo hall so I can rent it and take in the Bounty money for the next two days

The thing got nerfed hard. It can't hit the broadside of a hangar anymore.

• Options
    Blah64 wrote: »

The thing got nerfed hard. It can't hit the broadside of a hangar anymore.

Luckily Hammerheads are bigger than the broadside of a hangar

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I believe they have said they're not happy with the current state of the Ion and they're basically going to take the entire thing back to the drawing board and figure out a new plan for it.

Turns out "space sniper" doesn't work, but "nerfed space sniper" is even worse.

• Options
    BoredGamer dropped a good 3.17.2 summary video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRUhKbx7uMA

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty meaty patch for basically being an addition to the 3.17 branch. Patch features include AI Planetary Nav Mesh (at Reclaimer Wrecks for the initial rollout), new Reclaimer Wreck sites to explore for missions and etc. The "Siege of Orison" dynamic event will also be included in the patch. Among other things. Bored does a good job covering it all.

• Options
    Using the Ares Ion now and I don't mind the gun's spread, I just hate the handling. Gimme a light/medium fighter any day

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I believe they have said they're not happy with the current state of the Ion and they're basically going to take the entire thing back to the drawing board and figure out a new plan for it.

Balance is always a problem in any game where something has an oversized gun for its "weight class". Because you have to figure out how to make the thing effective against its intended target (big things) but also figure out a reason why it wouldn't be equally effective against smaller things. And if its effective against both, why would you ever use anything else? Typically the solution is to make the thing an easily destroyed glass cannon, but the Ion is also supposed to be heavily armoured sooo...

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular

I'm pretty hype to load cargo onto ships.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Can we also t
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Balance is always a problem in any game where something has an oversized gun for its "weight class". Because you have to figure out how to make the thing effective against its intended target (big things) but also figure out a reason why it wouldn't be equally effective against smaller things. And if its effective against both, why would you ever use anything else? Typically the solution is to make the thing an easily destroyed glass cannon, but the Ion is also supposed to be heavily armoured sooo...

A solution would be ewar.
    Give it very bad target acquisition and a very big electronic signature.
    Making it so that it can only be effective in a fleet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nope, I don't like the Ion

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Took a break from V Rising to fire this up for the first time since 17.1 landed, the "all of your nonconsumables get relocated to your primary residence" thing that apparently happens on patches ate most of my pile of guns looted out of bunkers. It did manage to reappear some stuff that'd been long lost to being in ships that got insurance claimed, which seems funky. Ran some bunkers after getting my stuff relocated back up to Tressler for shorter corpseruns as needed, the bandits getting actual customized armor instead of just wearing teal armor with red undersuits is pretty neat, as is the bunker turrets having actual projectiles now.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I'm going to miss having a free Pisces. It came in very handy for times when I'd mysteriously die to stairs and needed a ride back to where my ship was parked.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The good news is that the Pisces is only like $400k aUEC to buy one in-game. Pretty easy to save up and get one.

Honestly, the Pisces should pretty much be anyone’s first purchase when they’re first starting out. (Or starting over after a wipe.)

• Options
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I have no clue of the intentions of the other guy, but I potentially managed to avoid some PVP yesterday. Accidentally a crimestat while in a bunker, decided to head to the security bunker to see how clearing crimestat goes. After accumulating several more crimes to reach the terminal, I started clearing my charges one at a time because there isn't a batch option. During this part, I heard the dull thump of an explosion on the surface. The remainder of the hacking was rather tense, was that another player, did he just blow up my ship, is he going to be coming into the bunker for me? Eventually I was once again an upstanding citizen, and once I exited the bunker, I discovered there was a death marker on my hud. Best guess is that somebody was flying in too hot and pancaked his ship. Without knowing who he was or why he was there, I did the only thing that seemed logical: hauled him onto my ship, looted him, then threw his corpse out the airlock once I was in orbit. Guy was traveling light, but I still got an LMG out of the deal.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I really like this group.

I love that the stun->tractor beam->revive exploit requires the last person in the chain to actually die, and that the newbie the conscripted for the job didn't survive that last leg.

Secondary highlight: The visual from the ground of the prison AA defenses engaging unseen targets while Kate's hallucinating from hypoxia.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/IqpSHoZLKkg

More Dakka for the Dakka God

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Haven't had anything particularly interesting happen lately. Picked up a Pisces Expedition from the in-game dealership, which is an absolute tiny shoebox of a ship, but it has an interior with a rear hatch which makes it good for running packages compared to having to wait for my 300i's ladder to deploy and then climb up it each time you get into the ship. Ran enough packages to unlock the "retrieve packages from a bunker" mission, and this is absolutely my favorite iteration of bunker mission, because it's bunkers with security forces and thus far out of the handful I've run the security is very good at dealing with the bandits so all you have to do is leisurely stroll through the place grabbing loot while you find your three boxes, while being mindful in case a new batch of bandits spawns in.

I also picked up a Dragonfly because I have a friend that's big on Megaman stuff and this thing is basically a Ride Chaser.

• Options
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Pffff, I can do all of that in an Aurora... at 80m/s.

The recent server updates to ship position handling were really nice in general, but I can imagine how happy it made the people who are into precision flying.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Huh, I got dropped from the PAI spreadsheet at some point, which is unfortunate because I have no idea anymore which ships I've actually purchased...

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    Huh, I got dropped from the PAI spreadsheet at some point, which is unfortunate because I have no idea anymore which ships I've actually purchased...

Your hangar on the website should list all of them.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Had a bit of an odd one today. Decided to run some ship bounties, the shooting parts went well enough, did get one of my guns shot off so I decided to head back to a station to get it glued back on. Jumped there, made my approach, then as I was preparing to start the process of getting myself over my assigned landing pad, some additional parts of my ship decide to explode.
    dqWR0Oj.jpg

As a reference, the ship is SUPPOSED to look like

NBNBwaw.jpg
    No clue why it happened, and BOY does that much missing ship make maneuvering a disaster, because the thrusters do not adjust to account for all the missing ones, so you try to thrust forward and instead bank up really hard. Did manage to get on the pad so I could have the parts magicked back on for a mere 9700 aUEC.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You turned your Cutlass into a fat Herald.

• Options
    I initially thought that first image was a Carrack

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    You turned your Cutlass into a fat Herald.

Oh FAT Herald, not FART Herald.

My title is safe.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Pretty good vid showing both the great moments you can have and the metric ton of jank you need to wade through to get to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5IklhRFyo

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping that Medium Xi'an fighter gets put in soon. I really like the Khartu-al but want to try a beefier version.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18722-Star-Citizen-Vs-EVE-Online-Battle-Of-The-Bricks
    Last year, we featured a detailed community-created LEGO® model of the Drake Vulture on social media. It didn't take long for EVE Online to playfully poke fun, bringing their Venture to the LEGO® party. At that moment, we knew we needed to settle this friendly rivalry once and for all. We decided to take it to the next level and challenge EVE to a build-off of galactic proportion… and they accepted.

Thus, the Battle of the Bricks was born, a competition to find the finest brick builders from Stanton all the way to New Eden. We're teaming up with EVE Online for the ultimate aerospace build-off, with epic prizes to win and a great cause to benefit. The competition will be multi-phase, so read on for details.

First, each game will host its own independent contest that challenges its community to flex their creativity and create the best LEGO® model possible. The competition runs from June 13 through June 27 and, as usual, you have the opportunity to fly away with some sweet prizes. Check out more details in the section below.

While we need your help in squashing the competition and showing why the Star Citizen community is the best in gaming, we also want to take a moment to remind everyone why this collaboration is so special to us. Both communities have one magical thing in common: we're all space nerds. In the spirit of showing the rest of the industry what the sci-fi genre is capable of, we wish the best for our competitors in their brick-building journey (even if they're certainly going to lose). Let's show the world that the more space games there are, the better. (Cont. on page)

3basnids3lf9.jpg