As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Echo wrote: »
    OK, how do you actually start making money as a new player (...with a 10yo account)? Tried some bounty hunting, getting paid a whopping 4k per mission right now. Those "find a random corpse" missions pay 18k... if you ever find a corpse.

Once you up your reputation with the bounty hunter guild it's one of the better ways to make money. VHRT is where it's at.
    Right now the extreme way that will soon be patched out is to do the VHRT/ERT missions and sell their high value cargo

Other good ones are the find random corpse ones and the ones to destroy surveillance satellites.

Even delivery missions start being worth it ones you get to the high reputation ones where you have to extract stuff from active combat zones in bunkers.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Well, you gotta hand it to the devs, they've really captured the reality of the gig delivery guy being unable to figure out the delivery kiosk, then going "fuck it", hiding the box somewhere, and leaving.

A decade and half a billion dollars, folks

So Diablo IV except under budget, more interesting to play despite being in beta, and somehow with a feeling of less futility despite expected server wipes?

I'm tickled that over a decade later, we're still doing the "Star Citizen is still better than [Insert Current Hot AAA Title Here] and that cost the same to make" posts.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I'm pretty down on d4 sometimes but that is a hilariously silly comparison. The desperation to validate star citizen is fascinating.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    To be fair, the initial complaint was (perhaps uncharitably) a PICNIC error. So the usual negative comments seemed a little vitriolic in this case.

Oh God, I'm back on the hype train aren't I...?

ROBEEEEEEEERTS!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, you gotta hand it to the devs, they've really captured the reality of the gig delivery guy being unable to figure out the delivery kiosk, then going "fuck it", hiding the box somewhere, and leaving.

So Diablo IV except under budget, more interesting to play despite being in beta, and somehow with a feeling of less futility despite expected server wipes?

Easy there, tiger.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Kind of funny to call myself a new player when I backed the original kickstarter. But yeah, I can see the vision here.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Kind of funny to call myself a new player when I backed the original kickstarter. But yeah, I can see the vision here.
    I got a couple friends who backed the original thing and then have not at all touched it yet. I'm kind of curious if you can trick the game into giving you referral rewards from somebody finally making their initial account from the kickstarter gubbins.

:edit:
    And I suppose to your other point, yeah you can definitely see the dream once you acclimate to the janky "what do you mean players like things to be convenient" interfaces and start poking at things in Stanton. It was an Experience doing the orison ninetails event when it first landed. Just a bunch of randos loosely coordinating by in-game proximity voice chat while hoping the event doesn't bug out and not give you your rewards. I managed to stop a griefer that was grenade launchering the initial shuttle dropoff site. Nothing gets your blood pumping like a mad dash off the shuttle hoping you don't get got by explosions, then creeping through the dark with nothing but a revolver because orison shops suck trying to get the drop on the asshole.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I'm pretty down on d4 sometimes but that is a hilariously silly comparison. The desperation to validate star citizen is fascinating.

oh the irony, the desperation to shit on Star Citizen in the wake of recent good news is also worthy of psychiatric publication. I eagerly await the continual moving of goalposts. It interesting how all the posters who "just wanted SQ42" are suddenly silent.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    VoodooV wrote: »

oh the irony, the desperation to shit on Star Citizen in the wake of recent good news is also worthy of psychiatric publication. I eagerly await the continual moving of goalposts. It interesting how all the posters who "just wanted SQ42" are suddenly silent.

The irony of having a signature saying "Citizenship must be earned" when you actually mean "Citizenship must be bought for very large amounts of hard currency, 15+ years before the game comes out".

Your willingness to jump to immediate vitriol kind of shows how shaky the ground you're standing on is.

No one's really been shitting on Star Citizen recently, champ. Ironzerg's post is a description of reality -- the game has been in development for so long that you can seriously have gone from 0 kids to having a teenager in 2023. I am sorry that someone pointing that out has caused you such rage.

As is often the case, this light ribbing was met with absurd defensiveness and outright hostility up to the point of calling for psychiatric evaluations.

Nope, definitely nothing weird going on in this thread.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I tried that, but I found no way whatsoever to put it in the machine, the placement outline wouldn't go into the slot.

And the marker points to the top of the machine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A bit late, but first you push the arrow in arrow. When the hole opens its own "place" dialog if you press F, independent from the one the box has. Alternatively you can just stand directly in fron of the opening, look at it with box in hand and tap F.

causality.png
  • Options
    Gokerz wrote: »
    A bit late, but first you push the arrow in arrow. When the hole opens its own "place" dialog if you press F, independent from the one the box has. Alternatively you can just stand directly in fron of the opening, look at it with box in hand and tap F.

Yeah, several failed missions later I stumbled upon that solution. The game silently teaches me that objective markers point exactly at the object, but for the dropoff machine it points to the top of it. Confusion ensues.

• Options
    edited November 2023

The irony of having a signature saying "Citizenship must be earned" when you actually mean "Citizenship must be bought for very large amounts of hard currency, 15 years before the game comes out".

Your willingness to jump to immediate vitriol kind of shows how shaky the ground you're standing on is.

No one's really been shitting on Star Citizen recently, champ. Ironzerg's post is a description of reality -- the game has been in development for so long that you can seriously have gone from 0 kids to having a teenager in 2023. I am sorry that someone pointing that out has caused you such rage.

As is often the case, this light ribbing was met with absurd defensiveness and outright hostility up to the point of calling for psychiatric evaluations.

Wow, such projection and fangs out. If you want vitriol and rage, look in a mirror, your post is full of it, "champ" lol!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited November 2023

The irony of having a signature saying "Citizenship must be earned" when you actually mean "Citizenship must be bought for very large amounts of hard currency, 15 years before the game comes out".

Wow, such projection. If you want vitriol and rage, look in a mirror, your post is full of it, "champ" lol!

Gosh I'm sure that has nothing to do with you opening with psychiatric evaluations for everyone who's skeptical of the eternal development 500 million dollar space whale funded game.

Not really into cause and effect I guess? And nah, not vitriol either. I just think it's fascinating how angry and defensive you get with very minor criticism of your sacred cow.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not the one repeating attacks over and over yet accusing others of being defensive. You, and others, have clearly articulated your "skepticism" We've received your message loud and clear that this episode of Itchy and Scratchy was the worst episode EVAR and you have been successful at registering your disgust on the internet within minutes! It's time to have a life and move on and let the rest of us play the game :) It's clear that this game is not FOR you, so it's time to let go son and perhaps raise those teenagers of yours and find something else to do with your limitless energy.

• Options
    Ahem.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

What, because they announced a release window and said "it's almost done we promise?" For, what, the fifth time?

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    *leaves docking bay*

*randomly explodes 10 seconds later*

h8dcp1la1l3y.png

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Gotta get your preventative maintenance in more frequently. I've only had exploditis the one time that I can recall.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Woo, I made 6k being shitty at salvage! Ripped the weapons off a wreck.

honest-work-meme.jpg

• Options
    So I just unlocked HRT bounties, which seem to be the lowest one with good cargo ships spawning. Got a free Constellation Taurus from the IAE and just two HRT missions later (one spawned a Freelancer Max, one a MSR) I'm up a million credits.

Nice

causality.png
  • Options
    The reputation system also getting hit by database resets is a pain, got to fill the bars up so you get the good missions

• Options
    This plastic bottle situation is just out of hand. Needs a bounty system for people that litter.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm not used to ships having persistent wear and tear so every time I summon a ship and I see a ding on the metaphorical rear fender I'm like 'WHO HAS BEEN MESSING AROUND IN HERE"

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    if you want a nice overview of star citizen gameplay in 2023, check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COcSeBB9t-M

plop!

best bit is putting a cup on the ceiling

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Is there any trick to this "figure out which damn landing bay they mean" game they mean on the planet spaceports?

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Is there any trick to this "figure out which damn landing bay they mean" game they mean on the planet spaceports?

Last time I played it was highlighted on the HUD, though in fairness that was a while ago.

• Options
    Yep, seems I get that highlighted about 10% of the time on the major spaceports. Never any issue with space stations.

• Options
    from what I recall the plan B on that is look for a bay that's open, fly in, and if traffic control starts yelling at you haul ass to the vehicle terminals to try and store your ship before it gets impounded.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

I'm tickled that over a decade later, we're still doing the "Star Citizen is still better than [Insert Current Hot AAA Title Here] and that cost the same to make" posts.

Swing and a miss ironzerg but here's a hint: I wasn't defending Star Citizen :wink:

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I got a couple friends who backed the original thing and then have not at all touched it yet. I'm kind of curious if you can trick the game into giving you referral rewards from somebody finally making their initial account from the kickstarter gubbins.
    I backed this so long ago that I got my pledge in before the Kickstarter, and I have never even installed it, let alone played with it for any amount of time.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    They have announced some really cool ships recently. The Crusader Spirit C1 (and its variants) and the new RSI Arrasta are super cool. As someone who enjoyed solo mining in the Prospector, I am looking forward to the Arrasta eventually one day making its way into the game and being purchasable for in-game credits. I like goals to work towards, and that's a good one. One day.

I went super hard on the game for about a 9 month period of time, or approximately 3 quarters/patches. I jumped in on 3.12 and played 3.13 and 3.14. I believe it was 3.15 when they did a wipe, and that's when I decided to duck out for now. I don't like losing progress, so at this point I'm just waiting for full true persistence and the promise of no more wipes. Probably still a couple years away on that. But that's ok. The ships I want to fly still aren't in the game anyway, so I've got no rush to jump back in and play. Waiting on the Apollo, waiting on the Arrasta.

Supposedly last weekend they had a successful playtest on their NDA Evocati server for the Replication Layer. Leaks suggest that they got their Evocati members online, intentionally crashed the server, and then successfully transferred everybody to a new server via the Replication Layer. This is good news. There's also quite a bit of online scuttlebutt that because the Replication Layer test was so successful, they're going to be doing an NDA'd Evocati test of Server Meshing sometime before the end of the year. The Replication Layer is necessary for that, because it is how data is handed off from one server to another. It's sort of the data middle-man. I think Replication Layer is due to arrive in the Live PU in the December year-end patch. I've lost track of what number it is. Either 3.21 or 3.22. One of those. And fingers crossed, Pyro and Server Meshing will be shortly behind that in 3.23, or they might bump it to 4.0 at that point.

It's impossible not to be hyped right now. But also I am going to continue to keep that hype in check, because even after Server Meshing and Pyro go live, I'm not planning on playing again, at least not seriously, until they say "no more wipes." I might hop on just to dink around. But I definitely won't be playing seriously before then.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I tried adding SC on Steam to be able to stream it via the Steamlink app.
    I mostly worked, but I couldn't get the mouse to work right. I would seemingly work perfectly, until you press F to get into interaction mode at which mount it would completely fream out and rattle around all directions at high speed. Pity, as I was hoping to be able to play from the sofa for a bit and everything outside interaction mode works.

Weirdly the mousepad on the Steam controller works perfectly. It's just normal mice that freak out.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    So, digging around, I have a Reclaimer with LTI, and a game package with an Avenger Stalker. But after dinking around this weekend, still feeling like there's not enough game there to even figure out what would be cool to do, so I'm just going to sit on both for now.

The concept art for the Reclaimer still gives me those spooking "Aliens" vibes for whatever reason, and the fantasy of descending upon some hulking Ghost ship and ripping her apart still beats in my heart.

• Options
    Oh yeah. The Reclaimer is absolutely inspired by Alien.

Salvage as a feature is only half implemented. “Hull Scraping,” which is the act of using magic beams to strip away the metal exterior of a ship is in. You can get a Vulture and scrape away. The gameplay associated with this is basically Power Wash Simulator.

The second half of Salvage is not in yet. I believe they are calling it “Hull Munching” or something similar to that. This is the act of taking big chunks of debris and crunching it down into highly compressed blocks of raw material. This is what the big maw/mouth thing is for on the Reclaimer and that part isn’t implemented yet.

• Options
    The Reclaimer does generate urges, yes. Big ole cramped flying scrapyard. I've never gotten around to trying the salvaging mechanics since they finally got added, are any of the reclaimer bits up and running or is it just on-foot scale?

• Options
    There's a mission where you poke around in an abandoned Reclaimer, and yes, can confirm that it is Alien as shit.

My original pledge way back when was the Freelancer package, and because I have more money than sense (to be fair, I don't have a whole lot of sense) I bumped that to the Vulture, and now I actually have 70k spacebucks. I'll do a few more rounds of scrapin' hulls and then see about upgrading components on some of the other ships. Not really sure where to go with this newfound wealth, for certain values of wealth.

• Options
    The Reclaimer might also have the ability to do hull scraping with magic beams but I’m not 100% sure on that. I don’t own any salvage ships yet.

• Options
    Here's the part where I stare at the Reclaimer from my Cutlass and go "oh boy."

yi3oavstqafx.png

• Options
    Echo why are you upside down. The Claw(TM) is on the underside of the reclaimer.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Echo why are you upside down. The Claw(TM) is on the underside of the reclaimer.

That's clearly the Reclaimer being upside down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9W7pvOLxmQ