As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Been guiding a new player through Star Citizen the past couple days and it's so gratifying to see someone fall in love with the game.

To close off the night another experienced player and I took him on a cruise in an 890 Jump luxury yacht. We went down to the surface of Clio, a moon of microTech but I specifically had the pilot go down manually instead of quantum jumping.

Clio's atmosphere will refract the light of Stanton when it hits a certain angle and it turns into a beautiful pinkish purple.

At the very end we had stored a ship similar to his inside the 890's hangar to give him a better sense of just how big the yacht is, and the hangar pad has artificial gravity so we raised it onto the deck and let him take off and fly alongside.

He successfully landed back on the deck while the 890 was flying forward but he skidded to a stop just past the end of the hangar deck. When I told him to scoot it back a little he raised the nose off the deck which made the wind throw him backwards into the bridge of the yacht, blowing all three of us up.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Thread's been sitting dormant for a bit, so here's a poke at it. Recentish news as has turned up in the Discord:

Patch 3.17.2 will be including a partial database wipe, items and money are getting reset, earned reputation is being preserved. Official reason is that a lot of junk data has been accumulating since 3.17.0 and attempts to clean it up sans wipe in 3.17.1 didn't go too well.

There is a Free-Fly event running until the 15th. 6 ships are provided (Cutlass Black, Dragonfly Black, Prospector, Mercury, Arrow, Avenger Titan), corresponding to various activities available out there. There's also apparently a Guide System for teaching fellow players about things, and you can get ship skins for participating as guide or student (and however they are ranking things, the top guide in each category will also get a ship related to that category).

They have also temporarily expanded the referral program so that if you refer someone that spends at least $40, you both get a Dragonfly Black (armed hoverbike).

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    There’s a lot of neat sounding content coming in 3.17.2, but this wipe, and the concept of wipes in general are what are keeping me from playing the game right now.

I want Star Citizen to be my main game. I want it to be the game I can just hop into after a long day of work and run some missions, earn some credits, and have fun exploring space. But my gaming time is limited and the loss of effort means I’m not going to play yet.

Specifically for this wipe, the main driving force behind it was because there was some sort of cargo glitch that resulted in people being able to make insane amounts of credits. And that cargo glitch came into the light right during Invictus which meant an enormous amount of people used it. CIG said they could have done a manual cleanup to repair the damage of the glitch if it had been during a normal time period. But since it happened during Invictus, the amount of work hours it would take to do a manual cleanup made it an infeasible option. So that’s why they’re wipin. And there were some other database errors too.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    People were also ending up with like 30+ copies of ships in the fleet terminal, and hundreds of missiles clogging up their inventory if they reset their character.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    i mean the game is in alpha, the actual game isn't going to be out for years. A major wipe can happen at any time so if you want this to be your primary game but won't do it due to wipes you've got a long road ahead

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    i mean the game is in alpha, the actual game isn't going to be out for years. A major wipe can happen at any time so if you want this to be your primary game but won't do it due to wipes you've got a long road ahead

Yeah, I know.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    If Mrs Moon and Athena go to her parents to swim today I might try to get some of the Foundation Festival paint schemes.

I'm only really interested in the Arrow and Valkyrie schemes but I'll also have to earn those ships back after the 3.17.2 patch

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Some kind-of-exciting news; it seems that some netcode optimizations have dropped on the PTU which are making quite a significant improvement to lag and desync, particularly on foot. The technical details are beyond me, but the TLDR seems to be that they're being a bit more generous with the predictions that clients are allowed to make, meaning each client doesn't need to hammer the server for updates quite so hard. As a result, everything is running a lot smoother, and they've decided to bump up the player cap and start stress-testing the servers to see what the new breaking point is. Which has allowed people to make videos like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/w37r4v/tears_of_fire/

This was from when the cap was at 100 players, apparently they're currently testing a bunch of different configs simultaneously, so if you log into a server on the PTU right now you might end up on one with a cap of anywhere between 75 and 120. Officially, at least, unofficially some people have reported joining servers with 130 people on them so who knows...

Worth saying that this doesn't necessarily mean that we're going to see 100 player servers for the live release, the plan is to stress the servers till they break and then figure out where the new breaking points are. But its encouraging that they're trying out different configs to find out where the sweet spot between player count and playability is.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Definitely agree. This is very exciting.

And there are two key factors to keep in mind with these optimizations and stress tests:
    1) This is 100+ players while the game world is still being run by a single server.
    2) This is before server meshing.

Basically, if they're able to get 100+ people onto a single server when that single server is running 5 planets, multiple stations, moons, and so forth, it means once they get everything split up into a server mesh, where each server is dedicated to a single point (of varying size), things should be even better still.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmmmm I’ll have to try again after the update.

I still need to fix my fps issues. 3080ti and I’m still getting 30fps at 1440p seems weird.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hmmmm I’ll have to try again after the update.

I still need to fix my fps issues. 3080ti and I’m still getting 30fps at 1440p seems weird.

Yeah, that’s bizarre. My performance can dip but I generally get 100+ on a 3090, you should be in that ballpark.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    CPU binding maybe? not sure how hungry the game is on that part.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm currently on a 3700x, so it could be. I just haven't had any issues with other games that are CPU intensive. I feel like I'm missing something obvious at this point.

I'll try out the PTU though and we'll see how it goes.

• Options
    Hmm, looking at the telemetry page, a 3700x should be fine; that puts you well above the minimum requirements and only just below the recommended. Its worth mentioning that many people actually see an increase in performance by turning the graphics up, as this supposedly moves some of the CPU load onto your GPU.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I ran around New Babbage and Im getting just 30-40fps at 4k with a 3080ti and a 3900x. My GPU is at about full use while CPU usage is peaking at 75% on one core (75-50% on a couple of cores) so 30fps at 1440p does sound a little odd. Maybe verify the game files?

EDIT: The 30-40fps was on Microtech, Im getting like 20 on the commercial platform of Orison. Stupid Cloud City...

The manufacturing platform ran fine though, and you can see some cool stuff like the custom ship plant and a Hercules being built:

Spoilered for Huge:
    408ie3fpcv0b.jpg

emp123 on
  • Options
    Saw this on Reddit - Morphologis(an SC streamer) managed to get over 100 people on board an 890j and fly around.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Here's a more cut-down version of the same event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUEbcMnmVg

What they don't mention is that the server performance was very poor, and crashed shortly afterwards when they tried to get all 120 people into the pool. But the fact that it even worked at all, for a little bit, whilst also running an entire system is a pretty good sign!

• Options
    It sounds as if CIG will be raising the player caps per server after all. They said they're still deciding on what the final number will be, but I guess their testing on the PTU was stable enough that they feel they can raise the cap. That's pretty exciting, even if they haven't told us exactly how much they're raising it yet. 50 players has always felt extremely low.

They also already announced that there's another planned wipe for 3.18. That's the Persistent Entity Streaming (PES) patch, so it makes sense that there would be an item/inventory wipe. Not surprising at all. But it's good to have official confirmation.

On a personal level, I'm already very adverse to wipes and losing progress. Knowing that a wipe is happening in 3.17.2 and again in 3.18 basically means I'm not even going to bother to log on in the next 6 months. Maybe more. If PES is broken or if there are glitches that do weird things to inventories and persistence, they could easily wipe again in 3.19 as well.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    It sounds as if CIG will be raising the player caps per server after all. They said they're still deciding on what the final number will be, but I guess their testing on the PTU was stable enough that they feel they can raise the cap. That's pretty exciting, even if they haven't told us exactly how much they're raising it yet. 50 players has always felt extremely low.

They also already announced that there's another planned wipe for 3.18. That's the Persistent Entity Streaming (PES) patch, so it makes sense that there would be an item/inventory wipe. Not surprising at all. But it's good to have official confirmation.

On a personal level, I'm already very adverse to wipes and losing progress. Knowing that a wipe is happening in 3.17.2 and again in 3.18 basically means I'm not even going to bother to log on in the next 6 months. Maybe more. If PES is broken or if there are glitches that do weird things to inventories and persistence, they could easily wipe again in 3.19 as well.

I mean, given where the game is right now in development, it's best not to get attached to anything. The back end is still heavily in flux. I wouldn't bet on your progression being permanent until the game actually releases.

So, like, potentially not this decade. Or possibly never. Who knows. It's fun to sandbox around in, but going into it wanting to keep all your progress is just a recipe for frustration at this point.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If they do enough wipes I wonder if they would start crediting existing players with a pile of virtual cash so that folks can rapidly get back to where they were.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    They're giving players some credits after this wipe depending on how many hours they played during 3.17.1. I don't see them doing that for an actual release, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    They're giving players some credits after this wipe depending on how many hours they played during 3.17.1. I don't see them doing that for an actual release, though.

Well no, but there will probably be dozens of wipes between now and release, so offering up some digital dough will help keep players engaged without having to start from scratch each wipe.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah depending on exactly how generous they are with the credit offerings, that might actually be good enough to re-engage me. I did not know they were doing that.

But if I put in 30 hours in a given patch cycle, and then they wipe, and then they give me let's say 2 or 3 million starting aUEC because of my 30 hours of playtime, that would at least allow me to snag a couple ships right away. It would get my my Cutlass Black and a Pisces at the minimum. If they're that generous. But if it's like 20k to start, that's nothing. That's like 1 mission. So I probably wouldn't re-engage at that point. It's all going to depend. I will keep an eye out for info on how much they give per hours played.

If I can keep a few mill floating from patch to patch, that might be ok. I still probably wouldn't bust my ass though to massively build out my fleet. Not for super expensive ships like the Carrack and the 890 Jump.

• Options
    3.17.2 actually went live yesterday, patched up and hopped in long enough to take a look, looks like I got ~11mil spacebucks. Apparently the amount given was determined by how long you'd played 3.17.1, so I guess I was garbage at earning money because I didn't make near that much during my actual playing of that patch. Did a look through the patch notes and oh look the game is like 500% more playable now why was this not a thing to begin with.
    Players Will Now Drop Empty Magazines While Reloading

• Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    holy crap, they gave me hella cash money. I got 9 million.

I have never made anywhere near that amount of money.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Wow, they slipped me 21 million. Time to stick a "My Other Ship Is A Starlifter" sticker on my Vanguard

edit: saw on the forums that the stipend was miscalculated and they’re looking at correcting it. Welp, better do your shopping fast, everyone

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    cs3ddfckcdwv.png

An actual, non-joking, 100% serious picture of me at the end of the last patch:
    g3vjwpyoufx6.jpg

I just got home and my AC has been off all day so it is literally too hot in here to play a demanding videogame, but I think I'm gonna give the new patch a shot later tonight and see how it goes. The dropping of empty mags alone is going to be nice. I think the only improvement to that would be the ability to either hit R to reload, or hold/doubletap R to reload and ditch the current mag (this way you can remove magazines with 2 or 3 rounds left from your rotation).

• Options
    There is something incredibly silly about doing box missions in an M2.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    So somewhat on a whim I decided to patch up and log on to see what's going on. Created my character, set Orison as my starting city. Flew out to Port Olisar to stock up on basic necessities (guns, ammo, armor), and then went back down to Orison because the Nine Tails Lockdown event was currently underway when I logged on. I went to Olisar because I honestly have no idea where the gun and armor shops are on Orison, if they even exist. So I went to where I knew I could get them.

And anyway, I got started on the underway Ninetails Lockdown. The event does a good job of getting you to the start. They directed me to the shuttle pad. From there though, as a newcomer to the event and a first-timer who has 0 foreknowledge of the event, after getting to the first platform I was a bit lost. The lady on the intercom gave the indication that the first platform had already been cleared. So when the shuttle landed, I just followed the way-markers to the next shuttle. Apparently also the second platform had already been cleared because they allowed me to skip to the 3rd platform, which I believe is called "Hartmoore." Once I got to Hartmoore I was completely 100% lost with no idea what to do.

Random Ninetails spawned in, so I got a decent amount of money just killing them for the Call to Arms mission. But I never actually figured out where to go or what to do. The enemy AI was also basically non-existent. They moved in bursts and spent a lot of time idle and staring at walls and stuff. They didn't really shoot at me. So I had plenty of time to run around lost and explore. But I never did figure out where to go from Hartmoore. Eventually I just gave up and was going to head back to the beginning, and it was when I decided I was done that the enemy AI decided to perfect-headshot me and onehit kill me. So that was a dumb ending to a fairly uneventful adventure.

I have heard that they are crediting everyone 1mil aUEC as compensation for the stipend nonsense from last weekend. But I don't have the 1mil in my account. Not sure if that's because I had not yet logged into this patch yet or what, but anyway, disappointed that I didn't get the free money I heard about.

I'll probably check out a couple of the new derelict wreck missions and see what those are all about, but that's probably about all I will do this patch cycle. Ninetails needs some work to help give a bit more directive. Wandering around lost for an hour, only to get insta-sniped when the AI suddenly wakes up is no fun.

• Options
    You may not have gotten any credits if you hadn't played any during 3.17.1.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    It should be everybody.

Here's the quote:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/alpha-3-17-2-weekend-compensation

Alpha 3.17.2 - Weekend CompensationPinned
    Discussion
    Yesterday at 11:41 am
    Hi all,

Short and sweet update: All players have been gifted 1 million aUEC as compensation for the disruption to our wallet services that took place this past weekend. We apologize for the inconvenience and disruption and will continue to monitor closely for any further issues. As always, thank you for your time and support in helping us make the best damn universe sim ever!

We'll see you in the 'verse!

Bolded for emphasis. They did say "all players."

• Options
    edited August 2022
    With some difficulty, we managed to get a group of 4 organized for a crack at the 9tails nonsense tonight. Grabbed some supplies, hauled them to Orison (there isn't a dedicated gun store, but there's a convenience store that sells one pistol, one shotgun, and one set of light armor (without backpack). This becomes important later in the story.) Since join as a group is busted, we had to pick a person and then mash join server on them until it actually went through. Once we were all in and ready, we hopped on the starting shuttle to see what fate awaited us. It started out fairly uneventfully, by the time we were set up the first few islands had been picked over for objectives, but ninetails continue spawning in until you clear the contract entirely. We scoot our way through a few islands, and end up with the poorly-conceived idea of grabbing a ship to try and reach the next island. We'd been mingling with a few randos in proximity chat, one of them was flying, and the whole venture went quite poorly because the anti-air was still active. After a lot of confused milling about in the cargo bay trying to get the pilot to put us over land so we can hop out, the ship explodes. First deaths.

We take it more or less in stride, respawn at the Orison medbay and go hang around the convenience store buying some supplies because nobody really planned for all of us to die together to cause total gear loss. As mentioned above, we had garbage for options. Ballistic pistol, shotgun of some flavor, and goofy looking light armor. Restocked, back to the taxi to the mission, and discover the next wrinkle: A griefing jackass with a grenade launcher camping the arrival point. As shuttles were arriving he'd foomp out 6 booms, then start shooting anyone that wasn't downed from that, then yeet the incapped people off the platform. Second deaths. One of our number taps out here, which is rather understandable. We gear up much more ramshackle for our next attempt, I forwent armor and just grabbed a pistol and two spare mags (the max you can carry on a jumpsuit), and I think the other guys just planned for a naked dash. Board shuttle, annoyingly long ride to the first platform. As the carnage starts, he does get spotted as being to the right of the landing pad. I haul ass to the left up an embankment, and manage to make it out of the killzone alive and apparently unnoticed. Skulk around for a bit, have some good sightings of him, but a pistol wasn't gonna cut it at the range I was at, so I drop down and approach from the opposite direction, and creep in as close as I can find cover for while the rest of us prepare to be as much of a distraction as they can once the next taxi arrives. Plan manages to succeed, I shot the hell out of the guy until his body vanished on its way to Klescher.

With the griefer thus ended rightly, I spend the next 5 minutes figuring out how to revive a guy that was incapped but not yet finished off by our bad guy. He prox voiced that he had a medgun, but all I could find on him was a pair of multitools until I thought to check his backpack. Got him up as someone was stripping him naked because they thought he had been the griefer. At this point the immediate crisis is over, so it's time for the boys to move out and start looting corpses until we have armor and weapons. At this point we're mostly past the interesting to describe stuff, there's a lot of wandering around the overly large platforms, looting boxes and shooting badguys and also rescuing a downed notbadguy. I ended up falling into a Marksman position as I'd looted a sniper rifle that had a very satisfying oomph to its shots, and with the scale of the place it actually made sense as a weapon to be using compared to how cramped the bunkers are. Ultimately the event turned out to have bugged out on a non-essential for progression step that resulted in nobody getting the contract payout after killing the main guy. We did, however, manage to successfully loot enough NERF blasters for all three of us to have one.

:edit: the NPC AI was definitely not having the best of days, there was a lot of them behaving very stupidly, interspersed with the occasional moment of lucidity that results in getting shot. I almost bled out because I hadn't looted any medpens yet and apparently medpenning other people was behaving jankily.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    Do wounds actually happen? Or are people mostly just getting insta-dead?

My intended profession in SC is to be a combat medic and a search and rescue pilot. I think today I will visit Orison General Hospital and buy a med gun and a bunch of meds and maybe try the siege of Orison event again in a support role. (And join an organized group.)

They need to put suits of armor in the game for medics. Of different armor class. Give me a clothing option, where I look like a (space) EMT, and give me a light and medium armor option. Let me look like the medic units in StarCraft. Heck, they could go full StarCraft rip-off and give me a large riot shield with a giant medical red cross on it. Let me *be* Lt. Morales from Heroes of the Storm.

• Options
    Wounds definitely happen, I picked up one in my torso as we were leaving the mission area after it bugged out. The damage system definitely seems to have nuance to it, but I can't say as I've paid much attention to where and how I am getting shot to attempt to gather data on it. Sometimes you'll run into cover swearing and just have like 3% damage, other times it'll chunk you good and start a bleedout timer, sometimes a body part gets a persisting wound, and sometimes you just blap instantly to incapped.

• Options
    Doubleposting, been taking some more shots at SoO while it's around. They've been alternating it on a 24h schedule with Jumptown, so some nights it's not there to take a crack at.

Two nights ago there was a pretty large group waiting at the starting shuttle, not sure if it was a single org or a handful of groups. They were very efficient and sweeping through, I mostly followed at their heels, taking potshots at ninetails that got missed and grabbing some loot. Didn't manage to help with any of the LTs or the final guy, closest I got was when one of the LTs was located and I would have had LoS with my sniper rifle, except a parked ship was in the way. If any bugs happened, they weren't anything progression stopping, contract completed and I got paid. Got greedy and serverhopped to find another, ended up getting chain incapped because the ninetails discovered the mighty power of hiding in bushes. Spent some time chatting with a fellow downed gentleman in proximity voicechat, ended up logging out to get teleported to home before death kicks in, to allow for gear preservation.

Tonight was a much more modest showing, I think there was four of us on the shuttleride over. We weren't formally partied up or anything, just using proxcomms, and it was working a treat. We weren't the only ones in there, there'd been a naked guy running in kung-fuing people, but we ended up being the ones to find and kill the first platform's LT. Looted his helmet, his armor was a onesie so the only reasonable way to loot it would be to put it on, which is a hassle at the best of times, much less in an active battleground. Moved on to the second island, at this point the other groups were far enough ahead of us that the LT on island 2 was dead well before we were close. Then tragedy struck on island 3, as the LT ended up glitched underneath the terrain. We managed to knock him over once hucking grenades into the spawn elevator he was under, but that ended up nudging him to somewhere we couldn't manage to tag him with further grenades. We were experimenting with trying to knock him loose with a borrowed tank's main cannon when I crashed, and logging back in dumped me in a different server, so I have no clue if they were ultimately successful. But at least the login put me in a city so I can store the looted helmet somewhere to have a war trophy until the next item wipe.

When the game works, it is a pretty solid game. Just needs to get the various bugs fixed so it works more often.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Speaking of things like ad hoc groups and proximity comms, I really really really hope they implement something like a universal rep system. Basically, if you randomly murder people a lot, you get a "street" rep for it that anybody can see at a distance and strangers will know to stay way the fuck away from you. Alternatively, helping people out you don't know (healing, giving them ammo/items/etc) gets you an opposite rep and people can be fairly certain you aren't going to put a rocket in the back of their head at the first opportunity, so they can also risk trusting you for trying actually fun and beneficial stuff.

It would actually incentivize people to cooperate since it means more people to cooperate with them on the fly, and would give solo players a tool to avoid assholes just trying to ruin the fun of anybody they can find.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    That's not a bad idea. That would probably fall more under some sort of generic karma system (or Paragon/Renegade to use a Mass Effect term), rather than a reputation, but similar in function. Doing a lot of good things like service beacons, lawful missions, bounty hunting, and security contracts would give you positive karma; conversely doing unlawful PVP, piracy missions, assassination contracts, theft missions, drug running, and other illegal activities would give you negative karma.

Activities such as cargo hauling, passenger transport, and mining would be considered neutral as long as you aren't violating any in-game jurisdictional laws in the process.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Related to my actual attempting to participate in siege of Orison, a thing I really want to do is take an evening where jumptown is on rotation, get some mans together, and go manhunting on the SoO platforms since the shuttles and preplaced corpses and ammo boxes still spawn while SoO isn't up, but Ninetails don't spawn. Two groups, one heads over on the first shuttle, the other heads over on the second shuttle, they got to attempt to take each other down. If you get enough people together maybe try a battle royale, everybody heads over, after a set amount of time you're allowed to start shooting.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea. That would probably fall more under some sort of generic karma system (or Paragon/Renegade to use a Mass Effect term), rather than a reputation, but similar in function. Doing a lot of good things like service beacons, lawful missions, bounty hunting, and security contracts would give you positive karma; conversely doing unlawful PVP, piracy missions, assassination contracts, theft missions, drug running, and other illegal activities would give you negative karma.

Activities such as cargo hauling, passenger transport, and mining would be considered neutral as long as you aren't violating any in-game jurisdictional laws in the process.

Yeah, it should be a purely player-oriented social aspect. You should be able to find out somebody's full criminal history even if they've cleared their bounties or whatever, but it should take effort of some kind to find out that info. But if you've been going around griefing solo players, it shows up right on your name and people can see just as quickly as they can ID you. Group affiliation should count as well; if the average "badness" of your group is a certain level, you can't drop below that level without leaving the group or the whole group making an effort to not be shitty to other players. And if you're over in the bad side and kill other folks on the bad side, low or no impact on your rep. On the good side and kill bad guys? No rep hit. On the good side and kill another good guy? Big rep hit. Put it on a game world timer to reflect people "forgetting" about you so it's not impossible to get back to neutral.

And it would still allow for nefarious actions, even against other players. If you pirate stuff and just swipe what's on the ship without killing the owner or blowing up the ship, you don't get dinged at all like killing anybody you can get away with just for laughs.

But overall, it would mean dynamic teamups could happen with reasonable assurance of cooperation and griefers get IDed a mile out and either picked off or avoided completely.