Options

Not Safe For [Job] thread

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    First full day back at work after two weeks of family support/funeral stuff/labor day/dentistry. Caring about any of the 200 emails that piled up in my absence is a tremendous uphill battle, and I don't want to be here at all. Maybe tea will help.

Ctrl A

Delete

Kermitthefrogsippingmug.jpeg

If it is actually important they will send another email.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I love the one about dude under investigation for non compliance that told homie "you're fired, now do this job."

https://youtu.be/9SKFccYMq0I

Found it

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm so tired of fixing item counts that were counted incorrectly the last time they were counted.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey girl. You wrote down a fake name and student ID when trying to skip in the library. I then politely asked you to write down a real name and number, because there must have been some mistake. You then wrote down another fake name and number. You don't get to be annoyed when I then kick you out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    You ever ask someone to do a simple task and see them struggle in such a way that you were almost happy you could not fire them then and then because the shock was so great?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hey girl. You wrote down a fake name and student ID when trying to skip in the library. I then politely asked you to write down a real name and number, because there must have been some mistake. You then wrote down another fake name and number. You don't get to be annoyed when I then kick you out.

...why was this student doing that?

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I assume trying to ditch class.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    SAP has been on the fritz all night and nobody knows how to fix it because management fired our sole IT guy for cost-cutting reasons and never found a replacement.

Huh, I always heard that if you want to implement SAP you need an entire IT department to support it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

it goes to show you how much of a deeply uncool nerd I am that this possibility never even crossed my mind

please, someone shove me in a locker

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I have been drawn into a Kafka-esque nightmare helping a new staff member.

It involves HR. But I repeat myself.

Everytime we think it's over it turns out the light was not the end of the maze, just another light on the ceiling.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

it goes to show you how much of a deeply uncool nerd I am that this possibility never even crossed my mind

That sounds like a lot of work. Can't you just shove yourself into a locker?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

That sounds like a lot of work. Can't you just shove yourself into a locker?

Couldn't you create a work ticket to have yourself shoved into a locker and task it out to future you?

Steam
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It also didn't occur to me that they were ditching class, but if you're ditching class, why go to the library? Go to the bathroom and smoke!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    It also didn't occur to me that they were ditching class, but if you're ditching class, why go to the library? Go to the bathroom and smoke!

Juul had to stop marketing to kids so none of them smoke anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Real answer, they think they can easily skip in the library, while it is very hard to skip in the bathrooms and smoke ever since that dumb ticktock challenge to destroy school bathrooms.

They did not reckon on me actually giving a shit.

• Options
    I just finished getting vape sensors up and running in our school restrooms. Now the admin and RJ team get text notifications when kids are vaping in there.

So much nicer than finding out when they set off the fire alarms.

Steam
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Real answer, they think they can easily skip in the library, while it is very hard to skip in the bathrooms and smoke ever since that dumb ticktock challenge to destroy school bathrooms.

They did not reckon on me actually giving a shit.

The idea of having to sign in to my school library would have struck me as so fascist (still does tbh) that it would have tempted me to crime.

but also I skipped class either in the music building or the sports oval, like normal kids.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    I need to trick kids into playing Quake III arena again so I can join their lan games from my office and absolutely destroy them.
    *Sighs*

Our business intelligence department has been having instability and issues with their monthly reports. They generate these on their "Development" systems because that's where they spend their time working. The "production" version of these systems is where the rest of the university generates and retrieves their reports.

For a long while now, we've been saying that hey, maybe don't treat your development system as a production system, because our standards and configurations are not set up to support that.

Late last night, I got forwarded an email where the customer and DBAs came up with a fix for this: Turn on 24 by 7 alerting (priority 1 call out after 15 minutes of disruption) for this development system... on only 1 day a month.

Needless to say, we do not have any configurations to allow 24 by 1 alerting.

I can't sleep anyways, so I just wrote a bit of a screed going "hey, maybe we should address the root problems, instead of pissing off more people by waking them up if there is a problem at night?"

More than likely (and I'll note we have some other BI managers in here) this is because they're doing the critical month end reports that day, while the rest of the month they're willing to own their fuckups. A lot of BI work stresses infra in the DB space, so doing it in production will fuck up everyone elses day. Building an oversize prod environment to accommodate fishing expeditions is silly.
    Generally the solution is another data store as an "analytic" environment that's a bit of a mashup of prod/dev so they can have a sandbox with good data but not mess up other users.
    When I was actively building content, I used to say that if I didn't have hatemail from DBA's in a given week, I wasn't working hard enough.

OMG This is exactly the wording I've been looking for, thank you!

Data work is an odd duck in tech, as you typically need things that are disallowed in proper separation of duties systems, like being able to see prod data and alter the code that generates or interrogates it. It's annoying, as most process and audit folks rigidly apply the standards when it's usually impossible to develop data products on non-prod data since 99% of non-prod data is unrealistic garbage.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I need to trick kids into playing Quake III arena again so I can join their lan games from my office and absolutely destroy them.
    *Sighs*

Our business intelligence department has been having instability and issues with their monthly reports. They generate these on their "Development" systems because that's where they spend their time working. The "production" version of these systems is where the rest of the university generates and retrieves their reports.

For a long while now, we've been saying that hey, maybe don't treat your development system as a production system, because our standards and configurations are not set up to support that.

Late last night, I got forwarded an email where the customer and DBAs came up with a fix for this: Turn on 24 by 7 alerting (priority 1 call out after 15 minutes of disruption) for this development system... on only 1 day a month.

I can't sleep anyways, so I just wrote a bit of a screed going "hey, maybe we should address the root problems, instead of pissing off more people by waking them up if there is a problem at night?"

More than likely (and I'll note we have some other BI managers in here) this is because they're doing the critical month end reports that day, while the rest of the month they're willing to own their fuckups. A lot of BI work stresses infra in the DB space, so doing it in production will fuck up everyone elses day. Building an oversize prod environment to accommodate fishing expeditions is silly.
    Generally the solution is another data store as an "analytic" environment that's a bit of a mashup of prod/dev so they can have a sandbox with good data but not mess up other users.
    When I was actively building content, I used to say that if I didn't have hatemail from DBA's in a given week, I wasn't working hard enough.

Data work is an odd duck in tech, as you typically need things that are disallowed in proper separation of duties systems, like being able to see prod data and alter the code that generates or interrogates it. It's annoying, as most process and audit folks rigidly apply the standards when it's usually impossible to develop data products on non-prod data since 99% of non-prod data is unrealistic garbage.

Oh, that's no problem, we have no sanitation or scrubbing o---

Oh wait, shit, I've been charged with fixing that and I prooooobably shouldn't be talking about that on a publicly indexed forum.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    *Sighs*

well the auditors need to apply strict standards

on account of most of them being comprehensive dimwits who don't understand analytics generally let alone how modern data stacks work

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I've just been reminded I am was a nerd because "skipping class" was never even on my radar.

• Options
    When I skipped class I just fucking left campus. Why were you dorks staying in the one place you could get caught?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    When I skipped class I just fucking left campus. Why were you dorks staying in the one place you could get caught?

Back in my day, if you wanted to skip class, you walked across a double opposing highway bypass without sidewalks. Kids these days are so spoiled (Bartlett was very poorly positioned for walking off campus)

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I never skipped class, I was too busy having fun playing cards, videogames, and reading in class to see a need to skip.

/turbonerd

• Options
    Sounds like the rebels should have gotten hit by cars to pressure the school to move to a place that was more equitable for class skippers.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

Back in my day, if you wanted to skip class, you walked across a double opposing highway bypass without sidewalks. Kids these days are so spoiled (Bartlett was very poorly positioned for walking off campus)

At my high school you just walked out past the track and kept on walking into the woods, where you would drink and smash up abandoned cars like a sensible person.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Sounds like the rebels should have gotten hit by cars to pressure the school to move to a place that was more equitable for class skippers.

They did the next best thing and built the largest mall complex in the state across the street.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Because leaving campus made skipping into a crime that the local police loved to abuse.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Because leaving campus made skipping into a crime that the local police loved to abuse.

Whenever cops asked us why we weren't in school we just told them we were homeschooled. Lying to cops is always morally correct.

Though I suppose recently they have ways to verify whether that's true or not.

• Options

we had school uniforms and all the middle class assholes who owned homes in the area would call the school and narc if they saw students off-campus during the day in a way that looked even vaguely unsanctioned.

Besides, I usually didn't want to skip all my classes. Just the stupid ones.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

My school was a closed campus and it would require extraordinary luck to leave the building without being seen.

If you wanted to skip class you picked the lock on the lighting booth or the wrestling room or whatever else would just be empty during the day.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

we had school uniforms and all the middle class assholes who owned homes in the area would call the school and narc if they saw students off-campus during the day in a way that looked even vaguely unsanctioned.

Everything I learn about Adelaide leads me to believe it's the worst area in Australia. Why would anyone live there?

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Everything I learn about Adelaide leads me to believe it's the worst area in Australia. Why would anyone live there?

City of Churches, man.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i'm a second grade drop out
    you nerds all need to get stuffed in lockers.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I used to skip in the library on occasion, but I would always be reading something so

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    *Sighs*

well the auditors need to apply strict standards

on account of most of them being comprehensive dimwits who don't understand analytics generally let alone how modern data stacks work

Amen to that. The number of people who understand modern data work outside of actual practitioners is vanishingly small.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I hated it if I ever had to go to the bathroom during classtime hours. Bullies would just wait there to beat someone up. Skipping class was dangerous for me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Our fifth period was the librarian's lunch hour, so whenever we'd skip American History by Coach Meathead we'd break into the library and play Mortal Kombat 4 on the reference computer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Our fifth period was the librarian's lunch hour, so whenever we'd skip American History by Coach Meathead we'd break into the library and play Mortal Kombat 4 on the reference computer.

MK4 was probably the worst one. Deadly Alliance was much better.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I never skipped class, but I did walk out of a class when a teacher accused me of cheating on a test. Lucky part is there was a comic store a short walk away so new X-Men comics were a nice cure for that rage I was feeling.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.