Options

Not Safe For [Job] thread

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Get a text this morning that they actually want me to come into the office and attend the virtual orientation from there, which, sure, that's fine, would be good to meet everyone while sitting through the 6 hour long boring HR nonsense.

Make it in fine, meet everyone, get a desk and a temp laptop and settle in for indoc, which is about as boring as expected.

Cue sudden campus wide power outage, everything just goes fucking dark, no one knows what is happening. Everything is chaos, now I'm just kinda sitting around in the dark with my boss going "uh, yeah, sorry, this first day is kinda fucked?"

It's good to be back at work

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Athenor wrote: »
    I need to trick kids into playing Quake III arena again so I can join their lan games from my office and absolutely destroy them.

"Who is this fucking Ghost who keeps appearing? I thought we locked this to school laptops only!"

.... Apologies, living vicariously through what I imagine a librarians life to be like.

Oh it is even better. I always told them to play with low level bots so that they could practice shooting them and each other, then I'd join with my name and dude looking like the bots but then go john wick on them.

After a while I'd hear them talk about teaming up against the bot and I'd switch my look and name to be one of them and then make it look like I was team killing and keep switching.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Get a text this morning that they actually want me to come into the office and attend the virtual orientation from there, which, sure, that's fine, would be good to meet everyone while sitting through the 6 hour long boring HR nonsense.

Make it in fine, meet everyone, get a desk and a temp laptop and settle in for indoc, which is about as boring as expected.

Cue sudden campus wide power outage, everything just goes fucking dark, no one knows what is happening. Everything is chaos, now I'm just kinda sitting around in the dark with my boss going "uh, yeah, sorry, this first day is kinda fucked?"

It's good to be back at work

My first day in the office at the new job we had to evacuate for a suspected gas leak. Definitely inspires confidence!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "Can I get *hour of day* blocked on myself and *other installer's* boards so I can get this rental van back?"

*Crickets*

Repeat for over a week.

Email today: "When are you bringing the rental van back? Hertz is getting angry that it hasn't been returned."

:rotate:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is hertz still in the questionable business of reporting rentals stolen or such?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Is hertz still in the questionable business of reporting rentals stolen or such?

Oh man I hope that happens. That'll be hilarious.

Also the whole deal is that Hertz is getting out of cargo van rentals, and they sold this van. While I was using it. Which sounds like a them problem, to me!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2022
    This company relations guy from Miro has emailed me four times asking if we can "talk about your use of Miro and your options going forward".
    We have a Miro account for the lab but we're moving away from that platform and in any case I don't control the license or have anything to do with it. So I ignored his emails because they're a waste of my time and his.

but in his fourth email he said something like "i hope you can understand my professional persistence' (no, I cannot), and finally asked "... are you the right person to talk to?".
    It was a tremendous relief to be able to reply "NO."

tynic on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    This company relations guy from Miro has emailed me four times asking if we can "talk about your use of Miro and your options going forward".
    We have a Miro account for the lab but we're moving away from that platform and in any case I don't control the license or have anything to do with it. So I ignored his emails because they're a waste of my time and his.

but in his fourth email he said something like "i hope you can understand my professional persistence' (no, I cannot), and finally asked "... are you the right person to talk to?".

"That should have been literally your first question."

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Welcome back from your week of leave, how'd it go?"

"I was gonna take it easy but unexpectedly bought a house."

How

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

How

I mean, I know how I would explain that...
    The current market here is ... chaotic. We'd had multiple offers rejected in favor of all-cash (read: investor) offers, so we'd gotten discouraged. When our offer for this house was accepted, it went from 0 to 100 very quickly, and we were not expecting to have ours accepted

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dude on this work presentation just casually dropped that his hobby outside of work is taking photographs in Chernobyl.

Jesus.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

How

I mean, I know how I would explain that...
    The current market here is ... chaotic. We'd had multiple offers rejected in favor of all-cash (read: investor) offers, so we'd gotten discouraged. When our offer for this house was accepted, it went from 0 to 100 very quickly, and we were not expecting to have ours accepted

This is what happened to my sister and her husband. Went from "we're thinking about moving" to "holy shit the offer we put in on this place got immediately accepted" in the course of like, 3-4 days.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh sweet, that sailor with SI has checked out of intensive inpatient and sent me a thank you DM.

Hells yeah.

• Options
    Power came back relatively quickly, and unfortunately the very boring HR presentation continued.

I did figure out which dental plan I want to choose, so that's nice.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Power came back relatively quickly, and unfortunately the very boring HR presentation continued.

I did figure out which dental plan I want to choose, so that's nice.

Lisa needs braces!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Started trying to force myself to use obsidian.md today.

Decided that I should use my internal time tracking of what I am doing as a starting point, and link outwards or backlink from there

We shall see how insane the web gets, but it did feel good compared to notepad++.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2022
    tynic wrote: »

"That should have been literally your first question."

God, I hate salespeople. He emailed again, "have you or your team thought about transitioning to another license within your org?" I told him ( politely) to take a running jump. If he bugs me again, I'm telling him that not only are we definitely not going to renew any licenses, I will be personally recommending to the entire research org that we never use Miro again, and writing a formal letter of complaint to the highest level of the org chart at his company that I can get into contact with. All because he couldn't. Fucking. Let it. Go.

tynic on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Started new job today. It is inside/outside (outside) in Florida, so yeah, but I don't hate it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Had to go back after a 5 day weekend. I guess I can work three days

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The latest IT trend that I'm behind on is Infrastructure As Code - basically everything is just declarative text, you run it, you get a network/environment/application/whatever. I think it's neat, and I fully recognize the value, but
    It drives me fucking nuts that I could make this change in under a minute in the GUI, but instead I've wasted a whole day unable to make a change because the information I need to do it as code hasn't been fucking documented anywhere. If the people in charge are going to do this and lock everything down to this degree (I get it, I'm in security too), there should be comprehensive instructions to prevent this kind of loss of productivity.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    SAP has been on the fritz all night and nobody knows how to fix it because management fired our sole IT guy for cost-cutting reasons and never found a replacement.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    SAP has been on the fritz all night and nobody knows how to fix it because management fired our sole IT guy for cost-cutting reasons and never found a replacement.

Tale as old as time

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

I'm sure they're saving lots of money having everyone standing around.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I feel sorry for the IT guy though. Schadenfreude is nice and all but not much comfort when you're out of a job.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *Sighs*

Our business intelligence department has been having instability and issues with their monthly reports. They generate these on their "Development" systems because that's where they spend their time working. The "production" version of these systems is where the rest of the university generates and retrieves their reports.

For a long while now, we've been saying that hey, maybe don't treat your development system as a production system, because our standards and configurations are not set up to support that.

Late last night, I got forwarded an email where the customer and DBAs came up with a fix for this: Turn on 24 by 7 alerting (priority 1 call out after 15 minutes of disruption) for this development system... on only 1 day a month.

Needless to say, we do not have any configurations to allow 24 by 1 alerting.

I can't sleep anyways, so I just wrote a bit of a screed going "hey, maybe we should address the root problems, instead of pissing off more people by waking them up if there is a problem at night?"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Don't make it a question, because that comes off as passive aggressive. Just state that "We must address the root problems, not just piss people off by waking them up at 2:00 am."

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Haha I wish. We just have to write down everything by hand and hope our numbers are accurate.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the IT guy though. He landed a new job pretty fast and even got to get one over on the company when one of the higher-ups called him after they let him go to ask him what the password was to get remote access to a certain TV to use it for presentations in meetings. Dude straight up told them "you should have thought about that before you fucking fired me, huh?"

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options

Haha I wish. We just have to write down everything by hand and hope our numbers are accurate.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the IT guy though. He landed a new job pretty fast and even got to get one over on the company when one of the higher-ups called him after they let him go to ask him what the password was to get remote access to a certain TV to use it for presentations in meetings. Dude straight up told them "you should have thought about that before you fucking fired me, huh?"

Regardless if they are true or not, rSlash stories involving IT guys are very fun. So many people don't realize how much they need them until after they've pissed them off.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I love the one about dude under investigation for non compliance that told homie "you're fired, now do this job."

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Years ago I hard coded a number of root file locations into my processes because hey, what's the chances of those changing right?

Turns out over a long enough time scale it's a pretty high chance.

Past me continues to be just the biggest pain in my ass.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    Years ago I hard coded a number of root file locations into my processes because hey, what's the chances of those changing right?

Turns out over a long enough time scale it's a pretty high chance.

Past me continues to be just the biggest pain in my ass.

I may (rightly) complain about idiot coworkers from time to time, but Past Me is often my greatest nemesis.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Sometimes Present Expendable absolutely hates the tyrannical dictator that is Future Expendable because that asshole always insists on Present Expendable exerting extra effort to make FE's life easier.

The result though is most of the time Present Expendable thinks Past Expendable is an absolute MENSCH. Most of the time. The other times it's the greatest betrayal of our age.

Present Expendable largely just wants to play games and eat snacks rather than work though.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Pfizer bivalent booster obtained! I now have the trifecta of main covid vaccine manufacturers .

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I need to trick kids into playing Quake III arena again so I can join their lan games from my office and absolutely destroy them.
    *Sighs*

Our business intelligence department has been having instability and issues with their monthly reports. They generate these on their "Development" systems because that's where they spend their time working. The "production" version of these systems is where the rest of the university generates and retrieves their reports.

For a long while now, we've been saying that hey, maybe don't treat your development system as a production system, because our standards and configurations are not set up to support that.

Late last night, I got forwarded an email where the customer and DBAs came up with a fix for this: Turn on 24 by 7 alerting (priority 1 call out after 15 minutes of disruption) for this development system... on only 1 day a month.

I can't sleep anyways, so I just wrote a bit of a screed going "hey, maybe we should address the root problems, instead of pissing off more people by waking them up if there is a problem at night?"

More than likely (and I'll note we have some other BI managers in here) this is because they're doing the critical month end reports that day, while the rest of the month they're willing to own their fuckups. A lot of BI work stresses infra in the DB space, so doing it in production will fuck up everyone elses day. Building an oversize prod environment to accommodate fishing expeditions is silly.
    Generally the solution is another data store as an "analytic" environment that's a bit of a mashup of prod/dev so they can have a sandbox with good data but not mess up other users.
    When I was actively building content, I used to say that if I didn't have hatemail from DBA's in a given week, I wasn't working hard enough.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    First full day back at work after two weeks of family support/funeral stuff/labor day/dentistry. Caring about any of the 200 emails that piled up in my absence is a tremendous uphill battle, and I don't want to be here at all. Maybe tea will help.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    *Sighs*

More than likely (and I'll note we have some other BI managers in here) this is because they're doing the critical month end reports that day, while the rest of the month they're willing to own their fuckups. A lot of BI work stresses infra in the DB space, so doing it in production will fuck up everyone elses day. Building an oversize prod environment to accommodate fishing expeditions is silly.
    Generally the solution is another data store as an "analytic" environment that's a bit of a mashup of prod/dev so they can have a sandbox with good data but not mess up other users.
    When I was actively building content, I used to say that if I didn't have hatemail from DBA's in a given week, I wasn't working hard enough.

OMG This is exactly the wording I've been looking for, thank you!

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    First full day back at work after two weeks of family support/funeral stuff/labor day/dentistry. Caring about any of the 200 emails that piled up in my absence is a tremendous uphill battle, and I don't want to be here at all. Maybe tea will help.

Ctrl A

Delete

Kermitthefrogsippingmug.jpeg

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah same here, had a 5 day weekend and I have...286 emails.

I bet half of these are ads.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It is cliche and smug to say.it, but I really do hate it when I'm right about certain things, such as the warehouse being a huge cluster fuck since there isn't enough staff to do inventory verification/cycle counts, and there being so many people in leadership roles on that side that no one is actually in charge of anything

And I keep having to pore over transaction records and correct the electronic inventory record multiple times a week for a few items

If one more person asks why those helpful post its were removed, I might just walk into the sea

• Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    A member of the construction team parked mostly in my parking spot but also the one next to it? Anyway, I politely talked to their boss and they moved. They moved completely into my parking spot. It's petty, I know there are other spots, but I now have a nemesis.

This discussion has been closed.