As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think the Warsuit is less heavy metal album and more bland children's toy in aesthetic. It's just an absolutely dreadful model, but still not as bad as the ATV.

But at least the ATV gave us this:

8lydl1q5eu0l.jpg

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    And this:
    k82n1dxkcljd.jpeg

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have never seen that ATV before and I already hate it with a passion.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I have never seen one on a table ever.

Probably for good reason given Space Marines have a million better options.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It's very... GI Joe.

Also, I don't care how tough you are or how good your helmet is, having your head be 12" away from the barrel of an Onslaught Gatling Cannon is a terrible idea.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Yeah, I really think they dropped the ball with the ATV.
    It's very... GI Joe.

Also, I don't care how tough you are or how good your helmet is, having your head be 12" away from the barrel of an Onslaught Gatling Cannon is a terrible idea.

Hey, GI Joe, in it's heyday had better vehicles than that.once it got into the late 89s - 90s, maybe. But it started off very near-military.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    It's very... GI Joe.

The Primaris landspeeders are terrible for this too

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Brother Tinnitus says "mawp!"
    Eht9sEaWsAE4IFc.png

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I still don't understand why that marine is even in there. Just a sensor array instead of the head and it's so much better.

I think the speeder is actually a better one of the primaris vehicles. That third crewman wedged between the engines and his head between the guns is just so daft though.

honovere on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/06/warhammer-40000-metawatch-war-without-end/

Worth watching the video.

They actually talk about their data they use. Which, surprise surprise, they really only started collecting a couple years ago. You know when Brandt started it seems. But in general nothing they say is bad. Also the data slate is probably two weeks away or so.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I still don't understand why that marine is even in there. Just a sensor array instead of the head and it's so much better.

I think the speeder is actually a better one of the primaris vehicles. That third crewman wedged between the engines and his head between the guns is just so daft though.

He's there to distribute snacks.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    BROTHER! WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CORPSE STARCH BROTHER!?

BROTHER I CANT HEAR YOU, I HAVE TINNITUS!!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    In fairness everyone has plenty of time to just correct the points etc. The fact is, GW should never have released the book in this state to begin with and hopefully they've learned a lesson.

It reminds me of the Dragons from SCE. They weren't released with the initial wave with the new book, but people used them extensively on TTS and discovered very quickly they were beyond bonkers broken at their original points. Before the models came out GW adjusted them and they've been pretty much fine ever since. The LoV book leaked several weeks ago, so everyone got to do some runs with TTS so quickly learned that they were broke. In a weird way, it would almost be good of GW to release a beta rules on TTS and let them figure out how broke it is first instead of releasing a book that's got day 1 red ink all through it.

I would rather them do this than watch another game where Votann tabled an opponent on round 2 trivially.

While all of this is true it's important to note that the book was obviously busted without the need for testing to anyone who's played half a dozen games of 9E and has a vague awareness of what other armies pay for stuff.

Like compare the Land Fortress to a Repulsor Executioner, it's fucking insane

The book absolutely should not have released in this state, it doesn't remotely pass the smell test and I find it difficult to believe it was playtested at all.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I wasn't quite aware how tiny the Proteus LR is compared to the Phobos. The latter is almost closer to the Spartan than the Proteus.
    36k5fu6ibrog.png

Let's see how they compare in price

honovere on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Going to be playing a crusades game with 4 other coworkers. Going to start at 250pt (500 roster) so everybody can get a feel for the game and then kick it up to 500pt 1000 roster for the full crusade.

We have Tau, Votann, Chaos, Necron and final guy is still debating between nids and sisters.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    That's a difficult one, they've both got interesting Crusade stuff, unless he doesn't like Repentia as some of the interesting crusade stuff works around them and fallen leaders.
    Tyranid Crusade looks like it might work better with a larger collection though, as there's some benefit for shifting your warlord around different types of detachments depending on the stage of invasion (spearheads, vanguard etc).

Though with those forces, part of me wonders if Tyranids is the better pick to get more of a spread of teams - so that you're looking to get more tournament style balanced lists, rather than being all plasma all the time.

[edit] The more I think on it, Tyranids is definitely the right choice if we thinking as a group. 40K wants a nice mix of elite vs horde, and shooting vs close combat to allow everyone to use all their toys. You've got extreme shooting with the Tau and Votann, good CC with Tyranids and Chaos and a tough 'just shrug it off' balanced faction with the Necrons. Then potentially Tyranid horde vs mixed Chaos (if they dip to get a few action and objective holder cultists) and Tau vs Elite Votann and Necrons.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    For Necrons you will want to grab the latest white dwarf that had updated crusade rules for them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RedHobbitRedHobbit Registered User regular
    Crusade is one of the most fun ways to play the game, especially for new players since you still get a chance to upgrade your units even after a painful lost. Narratively I love the battle scars system, some factions even get neat events if their units get too many battlescars such as the Eldar.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Tried out the airbrush yesterday and it works pretty good for being an extremely cheap battery powered compressor airbrush.

Also tried out some Army Painter speed paints to get a taste for how contrast paints work out, and after a couple test models I tried it for realsies on one of my Legionaries:
    c6wv2mbvm6vv.jpg

Everything but the metallics are speed paints. I think it worked out pretty well. I also slapped on a layer of spray varnish to keep the speed pants from reactivating later.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Tried out the airbrush yesterday and it works pretty good for being an extremely cheap battery powered compressor airbrush.

Also tried out some Army Painter speed paints to get a taste for how contrast paints work out, and after a couple test models I tried it for realsies on one of my Legionaries:
    c6wv2mbvm6vv.jpg

Everything but the metallics are speed paints. I think it worked out pretty well. I also slapped on a layer of spray varnish to keep the speed pants from reactivating later.

Looks table ready to me! Any tips? Going to be using a couple contrast paints myself this weekend.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

c6wv2mbvm6vv.jpg

Looks table ready to me! Any tips? Going to be using a couple contrast paints myself this weekend.

If you're using Army Painter contrasts it's a good idea to get some kind of medium to thin them out a bit, as they're super dark if you use them on a model with a black undercoat and a white zenithal like I did.

If you're using Citadel contrast paints, be a bit cautious with them on the big bulky armor pieces; Citadel contrasts have a short working time and are notoriously bad on big smooth armor plates. AP speed paints have less of a problem with that. If you're using Citadel contrasts I would use them on some of the more fiddly detail stuff like pouches and belts and grenades that could benefit from a fast one-and-done coating of something.

If you are using AP speed paints though, you MUST hit whatever you used a contrast on with either a shade paint or a varnish: preferably matte and I like spray varnishes for them. This is non-negotiable, because the one big downside to AP speed paints (which can be worked into an upside if you're clever about it) is that they will reactivate when hit with any water and become workable again, and this includes ambient moisture in the air. Adding a wash or varnish isn't too onerous, though.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    You should absolutely varnish any contrast-painted or speedpaint-painted stuff regardless of the re-activation stuff. That type of paint rubs off even more easily than regular paint.

(Incidentally, the cheap automitive spray varnish I use reactivates every paint I've used it on. I just avoid touching the model, and once the varnish is dried it's rock solid.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Yea im a big fan of the army painter matte varnish. Can you run it through an air brush? Ive only brushed it on before.

• Options
    Citadel contrast also is different by what version you get. Newer ones are a lot better. Though I use the old ones a lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    You should absolutely varnish any contrast-painted or speedpaint-painted stuff regardless of the re-activation stuff. That type of paint rubs off even more easily than regular paint.

(Incidentally, the cheap automitive spray varnish I use reactivates every paint I've used it on. I just avoid touching the model, and once the varnish is dried it's rock solid.)

I haven’t put any varnish on any of my contrast painted models essentially ever. It is mandatory for speed paint to prevent it reactivating unless it’s a one and done coat.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Cadia Stands box set.

My wallet is weeping right now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Fucking hell GW. 40k scale boarding actions with Gallowdark terrain? Kasrkin kill teams? Absolutely stop it. I want to buy every single thing you've shown so far.

So the 40k ship interior set has two sets of the Into the Dark terrain, and they say you need two into the dark sets for a combat patrol sized game. Shadowvaults has Necron and Kasrkin kill teams but also another set of the Into the Dark terrain with some new smaller obstacles? So if you already have Into the Dark, you can get Shadowvaults and then have enough terrain for 40k Combat Patrols.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Boarding Actions sounds like it might be exactly what I am looking for. We've played some small scale 40K games with a bunch of house rules for fighting in Zone Mortalis style environments (Space Hulks, indoor facilities, space stations, etc), but having an official ruleset (either to play with, or to use as a base for creating our own) should be pretty nice.

We've done stuff like no models with fly, no vehicles/nothing bigger than a Dreadnought, no indirect fire or deepstriking (except Terminators, because teleporting into Space Hulks is sorta their thing), Blast weapons always do the maximum number of attacks no matter the size of the targeted unit (it's a lot harder to dive for cover when you're in a cramped hallway), auras require line of sight, and some others. It's a lot of fun.

• Options
    Aaaand Dark Mechanicus teaser!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Anyone here familiar with 3d printing? We acquired one, but are having a lot of trouble getting started properly.

Bring your questions to the 3D-printing thread in Moe’s, and we’ll totally help!

Thanks for the tip, but we actually sorted out the problem! :D

• Options
    Fucking hell GW. 40k scale boarding actions with Gallowdark terrain? Kasrkin kill teams? Absolutely stop it. I want to buy every single thing you've shown so far.

So the 40k ship interior set has two sets of the Into the Dark terrain, and they say you need two into the dark sets for a combat patrol sized game. Shadowvaults has Necron and Kasrkin kill teams but also another set of the Into the Dark terrain with some new smaller obstacles? So if you already have Into the Dark, you can get Shadowvaults and then have enough terrain for 40k Combat Patrols.

It looks like they redid the immortal kit
    i572dvjaed8k.png

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Cadia Stands legit consumed my soul. That set is rad. Those towed field guns I need in my veeeeeins.

• Options
    Still I am curious if they will bring out regiments from days of yore like the Tallran or Mordia {they mentioned them} The Armageddon Steel legion {I would totally break out the force I have
    5pxuiixh68dn.jpg
    I never painted them because I never knew how they got that armageddon look

• Options
    Welp, meant to just take a few minutes to prep something to paint tomorrow, but then I went and accidentally a whole model.
    b0wksraf0hk6.jpg

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    It's been raining pretty much non stop for the last couple of days so I don't have much out to paint so I will try to paint something

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It looks like they redid the immortal kit
    i572dvjaed8k.png

I think it's just an upgrade sprue added to the current Immortals/Deathmarks. Notably, the legs are the same (and the Apprentek is also using them), and the forearm dangles on the Despotek seem to be an obvious add-on piece (with a bit along the top to make sure it can glue on securely, rather than being an organic design choice, and somewhat awkwardly bent to fit inside the existing power cables).

It seems to have:
    • 2 new fancier Deathmark heads.
    • 2 new Plasmacytes.
    • New head/torso/arm dangle for the Despotek.
    • New head/torso/arms/staff/tabbard for the Apprentek.

The only thing I'm not sure of is that the full shot in the video seems to have 4 Deathmarks, 1 Plasmacyte, the Despotek, Apprentek, and the Cryptek. Which makes one too many Deathmarks, if it is just the standard 5 man box and an upgrade sprue. But then we know there's a second Pasmacyte that's not shown, so...

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What interests me the most is that the Warhammer Community article indicates that there will be no fixed/famous regimental doctrines and you just build your own, so you can run whatever regimental uniform sets you want together.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What interests me the most is that the Warhammer Community article indicates that there will be no fixed/famous regimental doctrines and you just build your own, so you can run whatever regimental uniform sets you want together.

They mentioned having an army of mixed regiments and selecting a doctrine that gives the special ability to the whole force. And Kasrkins get two doctrines.

• Options
    The last rumours about that where that there's still special regiment keywords, but just on a per unit basis. So catachan devils for catachan, kasrkin for cadia, etc.

This discussion has been closed.