As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That's just Snake Eyes from GI Joe.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    You could make him look like a bunch of different comic and cartoon characters just with different paint jobs. Very generic ninja with gun.

honovere on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    tjgp5wjpzjst.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    *whispers* ‘That’s Chappie’

• Options
    lydlbd09ic13.png
    Sure I believe you about orks having red blood
    ut6dk0xc52u1.png

Yay you can build him with the helm! kind of meh about the helm
    yrnh8dhas4el.png

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That assassin is one smooth criminal.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Votann and Imperium are on speaking terms, but it's the Imperium. They're probably waiting for a new report from the sub-committee on whether the Votann are abhumans to be treated poorly or mutants to be exterminated. Plus the whole raft of conflicts with the Mechanicum due to the Votann actually doing technology right.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Also Admech.

This was 100% the rapid pressure put on by TOS talking about outright banning them.

Good on them for moving quickly, but what exactly was the playtesting that didn't notice that their MBT needed a 30% increase in points cost, or the whole 'counting as a 6 for purposes of triggering effects' bit?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The banning thing is overblown because the main groups only banned it because that is what they do for all new codex that,

1)Are not sold separately and are only in boxed sets.
    2)Do not yet have a FAQ.
    3)Do not have all their model range released yet.

Everyone is ignoring the fact that the new Demon codex is also banned for reasons 1 and 2.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The Demon codex is banned?

I really lost interest in playing this edition because of the codex comes out overpowered nerfed via a faq rinse repeat

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    The Demon codex is banned?

I really lost interest in playing this edition because of the codex comes out overpowered nerfed via a faq rinse repeat

That is a thing in part of Germany.

Daemons aren't overpowered.

Its just they have a rule, no FAQ no play to make sure odd interactions are clarified first.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    The banning thing is overblown because the main groups only banned it because that is what they do for all new codex that,

1)Are not sold separately and are only in boxed sets.
    2)Do not yet have a FAQ.
    3)Do not have all their model range released yet.

Everyone is ignoring the fact that the new Demon codex is also banned for reasons 1 and 2.

#1 isn't valid, but the second thing yeah.

Also, your post about 5E Guard have me flashbacks of the Leaf blower meta and I laughed, and then cried a little, and then laughed again

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Trying to decide how to build my pioneers and I like how the rotary cannon looks, but beams seem fun.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I still don’t forgive GW for taking away my 5 man deep striking vet squads with four plasma guns and a plasma pistol.

I will never forget.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The Votann and Imperium are on speaking terms, but it's the Imperium. They're probably waiting for a new report from the sub-committee on whether the Votann are abhumans to be treated poorly or mutants to be exterminated. Plus the whole raft of conflicts with the Mechanicum due to the Votann actually doing technology right.
    Also Admech.

This was 100% the rapid pressure put on by TOS talking about outright banning them.

Good on them for moving quickly, but what exactly was the playtesting that didn't notice that their MBT needed a 30% increase in points cost, or the whole 'counting as a 6 for purposes of triggering effects' bit?

Because of their publishing schedule, they were playtesting Votann against pre-nerf Tyrannid, who were playtested against prenerf Drukhari, etc etc.

The problem is, their release schedule has intended Codex creep, but if they fuck up at all and over push one Codex, every subsequent Codex is going to be the same amount of overpushed or possibly more.

A better method would be to playtest new Codex against both the oldest and newest released Codex, and strike a balance, but it would require more work or buy in.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I have so much KT stuff, can't figure out if I have what I need to play KT or not.

What all do I need? Core rulebook, compendium, and that's it?

Core book, some kind of tokens that indicates if a unit if in stealth or fighting openly, ideally that you can flip over to show that unit has activated or not as you pick orders on the first turn and then that sticks through the game until you come to activate that model again.

The little measuring things are nice, but 3 O is 6" so you can just use a ruler (a short 6" one as that is pretty much the max distance that you'll need to measure).

Compendium is probably not a good buy right now as 14 kill teams have been updated - pretty just Daemons*, Necrons and Tyranids are left to be done (if you don't mind 'counts as' for Deathwatch and Grey Knights and count Corsairs as both Craftworld/Dark). If you want space marines, those rules are free online (legally!) on the GW site. The annual has Thousand Sons, Genestealers, Harlequins, Admech plus the Rogue Trader and Gellerpox.

The compendium does have more 40K-like versions of the teams though, so actual battlesisters and arcoflaggelants, Tau stealthsuits and breachers, Ork lootas, boyz and grots.

* Hopefully with something weird
    ** Hopefully a set of canoptek guardians protecting a sleeping tombworld from invaders
    *** Hopefully Lictors! And some odd little bioflora vanguard organism things that creep about or drop in and do area effects

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The maze of rules for GW products is terrible. I think AoS might be the most sane as you do just need the most recent GHB and your codex

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You don't even really need the GHB if you're just playing casually, the battleplans in the core book are pretty basic but perfectly serviceable. (A lot of my home games just use the core rules cos I'm playing against folks who don't get much time to play, so they're not interested in keeping up with a new set of add-on rules every 6 months or whatever.)

I'm still fingers crossed that at some point they'll figure out that tying the rules to books printed so far an advance is perhaps not the best strategy for maintaining a level-ish playing field, but I'll happily take a pre-release adjustment compared to just leaving things at whatever state they were first published in.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    This is why I pirate GW books. Having a codex be outdated four days after its release isn't a record (that's Space Wolves, whose codex was outdated two weeks before it released), but while a rapidly updated ruleset is much better for game balance it certainly does not inspire confidence in the decision to spend $50 or $60 on a codex.

If they switched to digital rules than they could playtest new armies against the meta as it stands the day before the book releases, not the meta as it stood six months ago.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    If you just wanna fuck around with some friends or whatever the compendium is fine.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    This is why I pirate GW books. Having a codex be outdated four days after its release isn't a record (that's Space Wolves, whose codex was outdated two weeks before it released), but while a rapidly updated ruleset is much better for game balance it certainly does not inspire confidence in the decision to spend $50 or $60 on a codex.

If they switched to digital rules than they could playtest new armies against the meta as it stands the day before the book releases, not the meta as it stood six months ago.

No choice with the Votann right now. The codex is included in the box. I joked to my friends that games workshop needs to send me some stickers to update my book considering it was pretty much DOA.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022

Not true.

UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand were all talking about following suit and banning it as well. Germany does what they do, but there was a lot of other TOs and countries talking about following suit doing the same thing. I don't know what tournaments in the US were talking about though (not part of that group). GW also didn't sit down and have a direct meeting with TOs of several major tournaments to talk about it either. It was not a regular situation for a new codex.

Edit: Canada wasn't talking about it in fact, they were banned at the Montreal Open.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That's just Snake Eyes from GI Joe.

Can we see him painted up as Deadpool?

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thread, I need help.

I'm not sure what colors to use on the symbology on this Aeronautical Imperialis dial.
    dsc0kpwewvdc.jpeg

I’ve already covered all the colors on the model itself…

0g7082kd32hw.jpeg

I'm trying to finish these by tomorrow, so my options for paint are limited to a small selection of red and orange, purples, blues, a Dark Angels-ish green, some browns, and both warm and cold greys. I also have the full range of the Darkstar metals range which I haven't opened yet. I wasn't thinking of putting any metals on the aircraft itself, but I could have some on the dial I guess. There are some interesting golds I guess I could try... Just looking for some ideas.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Greens and yellows seem appropriate for that sort of thing, movement indicators etc.

Edit: I can't decide for my Votann if I want to do regular steel colors for the metal or a dark bronze. Main scheme is going to be dark purple and blue

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Also Admech.

Because of their publishing schedule, they were playtesting Votann against pre-nerf Tyrannid, who were playtested against prenerf Drukhari, etc etc.

The problem is, their release schedule has intended Codex creep, but if they fuck up at all and over push one Codex, every subsequent Codex is going to be the same amount of overpushed or possibly more.

A better method would be to playtest new Codex against both the oldest and newest released Codex, and strike a balance, but it would require more work or buy in.

You'd think they'd at least have run a few games against Marines or one of the more sane books. I can only imagine the insanity of pre-nerf Drukhari vs Votann as written.

• Options
    kryptmankryptman Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    So apparently the Power level of the Leagues is because they tested them against pre nerf Elder and Tyranids.

kryptman on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I haven't played 40k since Imperial Guard in 2004-2005, not sure what edition that would have been.

It looks like a ton has changed since then, but Votann is the first army I've seen since that makes me think of getting back into things.

All models are plastic or resin now, right? Metal is completely gone?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Everything new is plastic. So new factions like Votann are plastic only. Older factions, in particular not-marines still have a bunch of older kits that are resin, yes.

honovere on
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I haven't played 40k since Imperial Guard in 2004-2005, not sure what edition that would have been.

It looks like a ton has changed since then, but Votann is the first army I've seen since that makes me think of getting back into things.

No metal, and last time I ordered something that was on-demand it was in resin.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

I just got the Votann box. All plastic and so far pretty straight forward to assemble with good fit. Only a couple tiny little fiddly parts.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Some metal models still remain, but they're extremely rare. Finecast is similar and slowly being phased out or delisted.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Rattlecan priming out on my balcony in the middle of a lull in a hurricane is probably not the ideal hobby scenario, but nobody ever accused me of being smart.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Man, I knew Tortuga Bay Studios where from Ukraine, but I started following them for updates on new stuff and they're in goddamn Saporizhzhya. So their feed is mostly "here's a new model", but interjected with "my neighbour orhood got bombed today, so no update today". It's surreal, depressing. Just good luck to you guys and thanks for sending out my order so quickly that it got here faster than my stuff from the UK. Weird feeling.

• Options
    I kinda want to subscribe to that hachette partworks Imperium magazine thing and just slowly get marines and necrons in the mail.

The thought of just getting a slow drip of models every month is appealing.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I kinda want to subscribe to that hachette partworks Imperium magazine thing and just slowly get marines and necrons in the mail.

Apparently its 3-4 every 3-4 months to save on shipping according to Goonhammer.

They are actually doing a while build follow along thing.

The magazine’s also sequentially introduces the rules for the game as you get enough models.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Apparently its 3-4 every 3-4 months to save on shipping according to Goonhammer.

They are actually doing a while build follow along thing.

The magazine’s also sequentially introduces the rules for the game as you get enough models.

Yeah I saw that. It is neat. Gives me different surprise stuff to paint.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I finished painting my Escher gang!
    https://youtu.be/nDHk5HJC1Aw

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    So for my Votann lore they're going to have settled on the world of an ancient long dead race, since I'm basing it on Agartha from Dominions I was going to just call them Agarthans, but I was thinking for this extinct race of giant amphibious cyclopean giants, and in keeping with the style of Votann naming, I might call them the Fymyr.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Wait, GW already changed the Votann codex?

Like, if I buy this army box from a local store and made an army and took it to a game it wouldn't be correct?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Wait, GW already changed the Votann codex?

Like, if I buy this army box from a local store and made an army and took it to a game it wouldn't be correct?

They updated the points and how grudge tokens.

It's all on Warhammer Community. It's for the best long term but also sucks.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.