As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Wait, GW already changed the Votann codex?

Like, if I buy this army box from a local store and made an army and took it to a game it wouldn't be correct?

They updated the points and how grudge tokens.

It's all on Warhammer Community. It's for the best long term but also sucks.

How many Internet sources does one have to subscribe to in order to make legal armies?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

Like, if I buy this army box from a local store and made an army and took it to a game it wouldn't be correct?

How many Internet sources does one have to subscribe to in order to make legal armies?

The manufacturers.

I'm just going to sharpie in the point changes into my book, and grudge token changes.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

There's a single unofficial source (of dubious legality) that actually makes the game playable despite how spread out the rules and updates are. If GW were sensible they'd either have copied its model or just straight-up bought it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

The manufacturers.

I'm just going to sharpie in the point changes into my book, and grudge token changes.

This is why they should push ebooking it. via + or such. As it would update with the changes

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

The manufacturers.

This is why they should push ebooking it. via + or such. As it would update with the changes

Aren't the rules in Warhammer+ with the subscription? Wouldn't this update be part of it?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    If you register your codex with the app (free or paid) the update should be there.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Because the helms and pauldrons are up for pre order {World eaters and Space wolves}
    My brother wants to the helms just one set. So it is a debate if I want ot get anything else as I am still debating who I want to do for my traitor legion {The debate hinges on the praetors for the world eaters. what the helms and pauldrons for the night lords/word bearers look like and now the debate is adding if I want to take my mark iv army to night lords? I have that praetor }

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    If you register your codex with the app (free or paid) the update should be there.

I just checked. They have not updated the points or added in the Eye change.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I just checked. They have not updated the points or added in the Eye change.

I think they usually update on Tuesdays. But it will be there. Folks were surprised in general that they did this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Did my first magnetization tonight. Didn't go too badly! Using E6000 epoxy. We'll see how the magnets hold.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Votann were utterly fucked. It’s about time tournaments started putting pressure on GW to actually test rules and I hope future completely skewed books also face banning if they threaten to train wreck what has - with a lot of effort - become an actually playable game for once.

Worth noting it is the case GW have been taking refunds for preorders of the army box. That’s actually pretty decent of them.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I'm glad I bought them because I thought they were cool, also not doing any tournaments any time soon, just some skirmishes with friends.

• Options
    Most of the real crazy stuff probably won't be out till the end of October anyway.

The land fortress at 300 points is still really good.

Most of the stuff is. Just means stuff isn't broken now as they don't pump out 20 nearly guaranteed mortals a turn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Most of the real crazy stuff probably won't be out till the end of October anyway.

The land fortress at 300 points is still really good.

Most of the stuff is. Just means stuff isn't broken now as they don't pump out 20 nearly guaranteed mortals a turn.

Oh yea. From what I've been reading the only real potentially rough nerf is the Thunderkyn, and the Hearthguard might be more situational.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    So for my Votann lore they're going to have settled on the world of an ancient long dead race, since I'm basing it on Agartha from Dominions I was going to just call them Agarthans, but I was thinking for this extinct race of giant amphibious cyclopean giants, and in keeping with the style of Votann naming, I might call them the Fymyr.

Hmmm a space Fimir army would slap pretty hard

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I'm not planning to do any tournaments but it annoys the hell out of me that I could just make a list to play with and have my opponent be like "hey all your stuff actually costs different points"

Is there some kind of official live service app I could use as an army builder that gets updated regularly with errata? Or just the unofficial stuff?

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    The Warhammer 40K app. Sign in with your GW store account and register your codex with the code on the back cover.
    You need to subscribe (to Warhammer+) to use the army builder though.

• Options
    I'm not planning to do any tournaments but it annoys the hell out of me that I could just make a list to play with and have my opponent be like "hey all your stuff actually costs different points"

Is there some kind of official live service app I could use as an army builder that gets updated regularly with errata? Or just the unofficial stuff?

Librarian's Ghost and I checked last night and the official warhammer+ app had not been updated yet. I haven't dug into 3rd party sources yet.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Battlescribe guy is kind of a douche, but it's still the best army builder available. Using it for point costs and Wahapedia for everything else is the best way to make sure you're as up to date as possible.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Age of Sigmar has one for free but unfortunately 40k is only if you have a subscription (or use battlescribe)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Okay, I'll just say this once.

It's fucked up that one has to spend more than a hundred dollars on your army and book and then $5.99/month to subscribe to an app to keep me updated on the book I just bought.

There's no option to register the purchase to qualify for X months of updates?

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022

All books in the game get FAQs and eratta a couple times a year. You can find them all here with dates that they were last updated.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/#warhammer-40000

The main ones you want to keep an eye on are the one for your codex, the core rulebook, and the "Munitorum Field Manual" which is points update document for all models in the game.

Its usually a big deal when something is updated with posts all around the community announcing and analyzing what has changed, so its not so bad to keep track of.

Battlescribe is the best army builder, and Wahapedia is the best online reference, but the War Comm page is the original source for all the changes.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022

It's fucked up that one has to spend more than a hundred dollars on your army and book and then $5.99/month to subscribe to an app to keep me updated on the book I just bought.

Don't worry about the official app, I don't know anyone that actually uses it. Battlescribe + Wahapedia is what you want to use.

Edit: Worth noting that all three take a few weeks to update so keeping an eye on the War Comm page is still worth doing.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    In fairness everyone has plenty of time to just correct the points etc. The fact is, GW should never have released the book in this state to begin with and hopefully they've learned a lesson.

It reminds me of the Dragons from SCE. They weren't released with the initial wave with the new book, but people used them extensively on TTS and discovered very quickly they were beyond bonkers broken at their original points. Before the models came out GW adjusted them and they've been pretty much fine ever since. The LoV book leaked several weeks ago, so everyone got to do some runs with TTS so quickly learned that they were broke. In a weird way, it would almost be good of GW to release a beta rules on TTS and let them figure out how broke it is first instead of releasing a book that's got day 1 red ink all through it.

I would rather them do this than watch another game where Votann tabled an opponent on round 2 trivially.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The Land raider Proteus will be up for pre order later this week.
    uua2ojmh7fwv.png
    So will the special emperors champion

A bunch of world eater pauldrons and blood angel chests and pauldrons will be made to order
    I will seriously debate about the world eater ones fomo and such

• Options
    God I love 40k tanks. They are just the best chunky bullshit.

Started on the mass assembly of my Votann troops. Its an interesting process after coming from D&D mini painting for years. While there are lots of bits, being able to break them out into useful sub assemblies has been nice. Leaving arms and heads off to attach later will make painting SO much easier. I've had to break D&D Wizkids models before to get them into a state where they could be easily painted.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I kinda don't like the new Space Marine hover tanks because the tracked ones are just chunky and loveable. Wish they just updated a d slightly rescaled the old tanks instead.

In other news I got this!
    lmkhfjo6ezln.jpg
    q2ksjgw0i3rv.jpg

It seems a little fragile, though. The hands are very bendy, and so far, I can't change any of them. I wanted to replace the left hand for one more suited to holding the chainsword, and the new one won't pop on. I'm having to force it and it still won't go. Plus, rhe head doesn't seem to want to come off. I don't want to break this figure.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Don't worry about the official app, I don't know anyone that actually uses it. Battlescribe + Wahapedia is what you want to use.

Edit: Worth noting that all three take a few weeks to update so keeping an eye on the War Comm page is still worth doing.

I use the actual app all the time to look stuff up for my books and if I am playing against an army I don't know because I can at least see the stats.

Battlescribe is still the better list builder but the official one has gotten less bad. I use battlescribe only for most building not rules.

Wahapedia is fine but also .ru so not fault of the guy running it I do kind of try not to use it because of reasons.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    battlescribe has pretty much all the non-strat related rules if you view things in html format. I use it almost exclusively for basic dataslate reference.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I kinda don't like the new Space Marine hover tanks because the tracked ones are just chunky and loveable. Wish they just updated a d slightly rescaled the old tanks instead.

I feel the same. For a long time Land Speeders were supposed to be incredibly unique, as the Imperium had lost the ability to manufacture hover vehicles, then the Primaris line launched and literally all of their tanks can hover. Between that and the Repulsor being released with the ability to have 11 different guns firing per turn it felt like they were more interested in just one-upping the existing Marine vehicles as opposed to designing something that fit in better with the lore.

I think that a Repulsor without the turret and with treads would have been a really nice way to show the very rare example of the Imperium actually creating something new, but while still having a lot of the same design cues as the existing tanks (especially the Land Raider) to make it look like a natural evolution from one to the other.

I will say that my biggest issue with the Impulsor's space El Camino design is fixed with a third party kit, I think it looks really nice with an enclosed rear. I wish there was some option to ditch a gun/shield dome and run it with a 10 man transport capacity though (basically turning it into a Primaris Rhino), because I'm still sad about the fact that the only way to transport a full 10 man squad of Primaris Marines is to either footslog them, or put them in a giant 300 point battle tank (or, technically, in an 800 point or 1000 point flyer, but you get the idea).

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Wish they just updated a d slightly rescaled the old tanks instead.
    Are the HH Rhino/Pred slightly bigger scale than their 40k versions?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    What do people recommend for fine detail files?

• Options

The codex rules and points updates are free once you register your book to the app. It’s the army builder that requires with the W+ subscription. But it sucks anyway so don’t bother.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Chances that it sucks because 10th edition will be easier to build an army and so they’ve been putting their efforts to that army builder?

Or am I just being too hopeful?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    It sucks because GW keeps writing absurd conditions into wargear selections to avoid combinations that don’t have an existing model, and also hiring fresh graduates to do both the data entry and the logic, then paying them peanuts and acting surprised when they suddenly find better things to do with their time.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Wish they just updated a d slightly rescaled the old tanks instead.
    Are the HH Rhino/Pred slightly bigger scale than their 40k versions?

I have no idea. I watched your Escher video. It was cool and you look nothing like I expected, but... awesome thumbs up! I was laughing at that.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    God I love 40k tanks. They are just the best chunky bullshit.

Started on the mass assembly of my Votann troops. Its an interesting process after coming from D&D mini painting for years. While there are lots of bits, being able to break them out into useful sub assemblies has been nice. Leaving arms and heads off to attach later will make painting SO much easier. I've had to break D&D Wizkids models before to get them into a state where they could be easily painted.

This is funny to me because I absolutely should do this, and it would make painting a lot easier, but I hate painting things subassembly for some reason so I tend to put them together before painting even if that makes it way more fiddly to do right.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I hate the primaris hover tanks a lot. Especially the dumb pick-up truck one. Just super ugly. The only space marine hover vehicle should be the land speeders. I will die on this hill.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I hate the primaris hover tanks a lot. Especially the dumb pick-up truck one. Just super ugly. The only space marine hover vehicle should be the land speeders. I will die on this hill.

I don't have any of them. But I heard you can move and deploy with them? as I view that as unfair with the various flavors of Aeldari

• Options
    RedHobbitRedHobbit Registered User regular
    I prefer the big chunky tracked SM vehicles as well, I've always had a soft spot for the Land Raider.

This discussion has been closed.