As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Honey, I [Grounded] The Kids!"

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    How tough is the fight when
    you go to enbiggen yourself ?

I’m currently getting the last chip I need to upgrade my gear to the max, and have tier 3 armour and weapons.

I have a huge stockpile of mushroom bricks, if I need to do any building.

Its literally one of the hardest longest fights in the game. Its a defend three points fight that can seemingly take forever.

Thanks - I’ll take a few days to prep for it, then.

Stock up on gas arrows, meals that buff, etc.

Just watched a guide - shouldn’t be too bad on Mild.

Hopefully I’ll get it done this weekend, and mop up some last achievements.

I still need to tame a pet, kill some optional bosses, etc.

I also want to build a hall, and fill it full of stuffed versions of all the insects I’ve killed…

I got it done !

It took three attempts, with increasing numbers of mushroom bricks, but I got it done.

I finished the game, then replayed the ending to
    beat the bad guy and get the good ending.

I don’t know if I’ll get back to it to get a perfect report card, though.

Great game overall.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah I should have stated with my end defense that just doing multiple layers of mushroom bricks is best, the spikes and palisades were basically pointless in comparison, given it does make defending things a bit harder but it's doable.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Wrong thread

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah I should have stated with my end defense that just doing multiple layers of mushroom bricks is best, the spikes and palisades were basically pointless in comparison, given it does make defending things a bit harder but it's doable.

Palisades hold things back but yeah spikes seem completely garbage, like if they damage enemies I certainly didn't notice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Can someone help me understand upgrading? Some creatures I'm just getting wreaked by, and online they mention a level 5 Tier 1 weapon. However I've never seen the marble piece to even build the smithing station.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand upgrading? Some creatures I'm just getting wreaked by, and online they mention a level 5 Tier 1 weapon. However I've never seen the marble piece to even build the smithing station.

Upgrading: Out in the yard there is Quartzite, which can upgrade weapons, and Marble, which can upgrade armor. Most of the time it's bustable rocks, sometimes you'll find pre-busted chunks of it laying around, mostly underground. It comes in three tiers, which corresponds to how heavily upgraded the item it is applied to is.

Once you have the smithing station, you can select gear and start throwing refined quartzite/marble at it to make its numbers bigger, at an increasing cost of material needed per upgrade level. For melee weapons, the first five levels are called "tough", and upgrading past that offers branching options, "mighty" for raw damage increase, then "fresh" "salty" "spicy" and "sour", which gives less overall damage increase, but gives it the matching elemental flavoring for chasing bug weaknesses. Armor I don't remember the names of the upgrade types, but it does the same baseline 1-5 upgrade, then at 6+ you need to pick between larger number increases or unlocking an additional armor trait.

:edit: Quartzite is fairly visually distinct from regular rocks, being a nice reddish hue. Marble can be mistaken for pebblets if you aren't paying attention, they're the same sort of greyish color but with splotches.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Hmmm, i have 10 quartzite. No marble though. Looks like it’s in caves, i’ll have to keep an eye out.

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    Hmmm, i have 10 quartzite. No marble though. Looks like it’s in caves, i’ll have to keep an eye out.

If you have built the red ant armor try looking around the ant hills.

• Options
    Found one in the Old ant hill. What stuff should I prioritize? I'm pretty bad at combat, mostly using bows. Also now that I have the Insect Hammer, I can get a couple milk molars. What stats should I prioritize? The finite nature of this makes me nervous.

So far I upgraded the ladybug armor 1 level. Looking online it seems the spider armor might be slightly better but takes more skill to use. I'm just terrible at blocking. With my spaz nature the Red Ant club is kind of hard to use. I was thinking of trying to kill some bee's (though they killed me quickly last time) to get the spear. But maybe using the Tier 2 axe is the better way to go with the shield? I have the mutation that gives it a boost since I use the tier 1 version to kill all low level stuff.

• Options
    Ladybug is a great set to upgrade, the extra heals can come in clutch and even some streamers I saw used it at the end of the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    What tier 2 weapons do folks like?

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    I used the mosquito rapier for most to the game. There is a tier 2 and 3 version. I like the health leech.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Yeah i feel like i suck at the battle part. If i can get high, stinkbug is no issue, but on ground? I can’t move fast enough to get away when it’s going to spray. I can’t block to save my life.

EDIT: Is there a better way to weapon swap? I got the hang of Bee's, but swapping between bow and club was slow and clunky. Sometimes it would swap quickly, sometimes it was stuck on the bow when trying to block, and sometimes i'd hit the button a couple times and the weapon would be removed entirely. I'm not sure how to do 1-hand and shield outside of each hotkey'd?

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    For the shield, if you have it up when you switch to a 2H weapon like a bow or club, when you switch back to 1H, the shield will automatically equip.

For the bows, it has to complete the reload action before it will allow swapping to a different weapon, so if you have a crossbow, that can be quite lengthy. I generally don't use bows once the flier is close and just wait for them to approach since I use just crossbows and the reloading is very slow.

If you're playing solo, you WILL get enough shards to do lots of upgrading, especially the armor shards. I wouldn't worry too much about using them up.

Slight spoiler for milk molars, I'll spoiler it just in case:
    There are enough Mega Molars to get all the upgrades, though I suppose finding them all is the question. There are not enough Milk Molars to get everything, but I think it's pretty close, like one stat won't get to the top tier sort of close.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Gotcha. I just found the mega one as well. I figure I'll save it till I get someone else to jump in.

Having a finite supply in games awaken the massive hoarder in me haha.

• Options
    Spend the molars. There is no reason to save them. Prioritize the stats you want, of course, but the bonuses the mega molars give you is beneficial even when playing by yourself.

• Options
    Yeah it's all bonuses, best not to sit on them as they make your life way easier.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have built a massive fortress around the electronic device. A pallisade that keeps me safe at night from the terrors of the night and provides ample firing points and vantage points to see out for miles around the grasslands. I have a Crowsbow and feather arrows, so anything I dislike that even looks at my fort funny gets pelted from above to death. It only took me deweeding most of the entire garden for enough stems to build everything.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Same, here's my tower. I have vantage points to pelt anything. It's how I've been killing Wolf Spiders. Next up is getting Zip Lines so I can start getting to other locations faster.
    nbldxoo9o2m9.jpg

However my Palisades don't seem to hold up long? I had a Red Ant attack where normal Ant's didn't do much, but the Soldier Ants took down my Palisades pretty quick. Not sure if I need to double up my wall.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Mishroom bricks are way stronger and honestly easier to set up if you can get several ovens going

• Options
    Finished the Hedge lab. Ziplines are awesome, but a ton of silk. Going to need to find some spots to farm webbing here if I want more than 1 haha.

Looks like Mushroom bricks and turrets are unlocked via Haze lab. I'm guessing that's what I should hit next. Though is that what turns off the haze and unleashes the infected wolf spiders?

• Options
    Finished the Hedge lab. Ziplines are awesome, but a ton of silk. Going to need to find some spots to farm webbing here if I want more than 1 haha.

Looks like Mushroom bricks and turrets are unlocked via Haze lab. I'm guessing that's what I should hit next. Though is that what turns off the haze and unleashes the infected wolf spiders?

Turning off the haze happens at the source, which is not the lab.

• Options
    So, uh...I found (Upper yard molar related spoiler)
    The jar with the 5 molars in it, which was awesome, but I was on my way to the trunk and while there I found four more. I felt like I'd won the lottery.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    So, uh, (Shed spoilers, for real, do not click if you're not already aware of what the shed is about)
    Why is the black widow really hard, while MANT was a cakewalk? They make you kill a black widow to get there.

I made the scimitar, and it seems to do the job, but man that black widow attacks hard.

EDIT: No way I would be able to finish this game solo on normal difficulty. Killing the black widow is already a close thing on mild.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    I used the Brave Sir Robin maneuver on that foe.
    Did not kill a single black widow my whole game.

• Options
    Every single one of those that I killed I did it by getting it caught on terrain and bullying it with the spicy candystave.

• Options
    How did you get to the shed lab without killing the one? I'm guessing there's an alternate path, but I couldn't find it.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    How did you get to the shed lab without killing the one? I'm guessing there's an alternate path, but I couldn't find it.

shed spoiler

you can run past her and heal she'll usually leash back to her nest

Widows have a bullshit DR compared to everything else, felt really unfair.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I have seen the alternate route to completely bypass it. But my grand strategy of "there's another hole, let me just run down it" worked well.

• Options
    Man I feel bad killing bee's. They sound so sweet and cute.

I did figure out that I just needed to hit the Ice Mints container 1 more time to open it up lol. I used most of them on the mutation since that seems really strong.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So I went up and tried to attack the carp.

It went as well as anyone could have expected, but at least I was brave.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Have to say, I'm still loving this game. Normally this isn't my style of game play or game, but it feels so polished and well designed. Not sure why this one hits the right spot, but things like the light coming through the grass in the morning, the weight of chopping grass and stems, and/or the familiarity of enemies. I built a scaffold up to the upper yard and I don't really need anything other than to know it's a giant beetle or fire ant, so I'm probably going to die haha. Makes exploring more interesting than some random thing I don't know, but have to find out it's way more powerful than I am at that point. My main gripe so far is that some things seem kind of useless. The spike logs seem to only serve purpose to injure me and aphids haha. Also the tracking on projectiles could use some work. Sometimes the arrow just curves away from the target if there is a wall or grass near by.
    wt2fm6l0rkdt.jpg

I did just complete the Haze lab. Need to go back and do the Pond one. Now I have turrets and an Oven which is nice. Looks like turrets can't fire down? So is building them upside down a good idea? I have Zip lines to the scaffold, the bird fountain, and picnic table, which gives me a pretty good fast travel set. Only the scaffold has a return line so far. Might need to build a ladder/staircase up the bird fountain for a return line. We'll have to see about the table. So many bee's and creatures, feels like building anything around it might not work.

Edit: For how much work Ladders are, I wish there was a 'slide down' option. Or put in a fire pole haha.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Boy the Pond sucks. You need items that are really hard to get to make the helmet to make them bearable to get. I've gotten lost twice now near the lab and died. Best shock was zipping down, falling into the water, and landing right in front of the Koi fish lol.

Edit: Not a fan of jumping out of water either. Sometimes I jump fine, other times it's like a half jump.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    The devs posted a video of the upcoming update.

The main thing ? An extra inventory row, which will be life changing.

I have nearly 2 full rows of gear, which doesn’t leave much room for collecting stuff.

I might get back into it, and mop up the last achievements I’m missing.

• Options
    Boy the Pond sucks. You need items that are really hard to get to make the helmet to make them bearable to get. I've gotten lost twice now near the lab and died. Best shock was zipping down, falling into the water, and landing right in front of the Koi fish lol.

Edit: Not a fan of jumping out of water either. Sometimes I jump fine, other times it's like a half jump.

Which enterance are you going to the lab? One is spider infested and prolonged while the trex enterance has fans to help propell you to the lab enterance though if you aren't quick enough it means a watery grave.

Can grab the parts for the helmet by the trex to boot.

• Options
    I was able to hit the lab. More just the pond in general. Sunken bones seem to be key to being able to survive but they are buried only on the way to the lab, which resulted in plenty of O2 deaths trying to get enough for the knife and helmet.

For giggles I tried to grab some coal to make an oven. Turns out, Fresh Defense really don't protect from Sizzle all that much lol.

• Options
    It helps pretty good against sandbox sizzle, but coal sizzle is rough. Even with Fresh Defense and full armor sizzle protection that bar just shoots up.

• Options
    Yeah I'm just trying to game the system I think. I should be focusing on the black ant lab next here and exploring the sandbox. But since I have my tower to the upper yard, it's hard not to want to skip ahead haha. Need those bricks to build a upper yard fort.

• Options
    Ant Lion armor and fresh defense is a must for coal farming and getting the Coaltana, it's like the only nigh mandatory full set of armor there is if you want to unlock everything (there isn't a full fishing armor, just flippers and helmet or else would include that too)

• Options
    So it seems chopping the base/root of things doesn't always keep it from returning? At least with Dandelions. There are 2 in the way of one of my zip-lines and I've now chopped the base 3x and they keep coming back. Which leads me to, I really really wish they'd have a timer on building stuff, so you could get 100% refund if recycled within the couple minutes of building. It sucks to use 30 silk only to find out your line isn't clear.

I did work on building a couple bridges from the picnic table up to the upper yard where my Zip back to base is.
    zfjgdej2q2fa.jpg