Options

The 118th United States [Congress] Our long national nightmare comes to a beginning

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And based on California I assume not a single person in texas also knows how to drive either. THATS RIGHT YOU SONS OF BITCHES I DON'T FORGET!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Magell wrote: »
    It is funny that California and Texas hate each other as states when both states are so large that they're quite geographically diverse and not really like living in the state is similar to other parts of it.

Its never been like a bastion of liberalism but its important to remeber that the insane pressure cooker that a bunch of red states have turned into is a distinct choice on the part of the majority party. Theyre burning their own houses down for their ambitions.

Texas used to have a respectable blue collar leftish streak in its political spectrum.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    fg
    It is funny that California and Texas hate each other as states when both states are so large that they're quite geographically diverse and not really like living in the state is similar to other parts of it.

California doesn't hate Texas, it is mad that Texas is in charge of all the goddamn text books for some idiotic reason, and it like to make fun of their shit electrical grid (especially considering California's own history here) but otherwise it's a very Bay Area > SoCal beef. It's almost entirely one way.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    God just about every union general post the Civil war went on to commit attrocities against first nations.

It was the fash...ionable thing at the time. Much like how everyone in Congress (see what I did there) was Tough On Crime in the 90s, or all-in on the War on Terror in the 00s.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Its never been like a bastion of liberalism but its important to remeber that the insane pressure cooker that a bunch of red states have turned into is a distinct choice on the part of the majority party. Theyre burning their own houses down for their ambitions.

Texas used to have a respectable blue collar leftish streak in its political spectrum.

Same with Florida, I always get confused when people write it off as a red state. It's voted blue recently, Obama won it twice.

• Options
    God just about every union general post the Civil war went on to commit attrocities against first nations.

It was the fash...ionable thing at the time. Much like how everyone in Congress (see what I did there) was Tough On Crime in the 90s, or all-in on the War on Terror in the 00s.

I get it, but it still goes to show that a lot of those generals were just monsters themselves. Like turning to butchery to "pacify" people and force them on to reservations like Sheridan did is fucking monstrous. Sherman did similar shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Same with Florida, I always get confused when people write it off as a red state. It's voted blue recently, Obama won it twice.

Because of shifts there over the last decade. DeSantis won a landslide 60-40. Similar reason why North Carolina and Georgia seem tantalizingly close to being this decade's equivalent to Virginia circa 2000's.

And then there's Ohio.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Desantis won in 2018 by half a percent. Idk a lot of people were probably primed to write the place off after enough bad Florida Man jokes.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I mean Florida is pretty much a lost cause at this point, it's as red as Mississippi, and if it isn't, it will be when DeSantis begins the actual purges of dissidents

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Ohio is a myth. No place could have Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland! It's too stupid!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    So is there anything going on right now in congress beyond the senate judiciary committee drama? Any word on that drama?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I mean Florida is pretty much a lost cause at this point, it's as red as Mississippi, and if it isn't, it will be when DeSantis begins the actual purges of dissidents

I mean the Democratic Party essentially already has when the best they had to put up against DeSantis was a former Republican who has failed at so many elections.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Desantis won in 2018 by half a percent. Idk a lot of people were probably primed to write the place off after enough bad Florida Man jokes.

The beef against Florida goes as far back as 2000 with GWB. Long before Florida Man.

The reason it gets treated as a red state these days it since Obama took office it's been trending red in a lot of votes and it sure feels like Democrats haven't been winning anything meaningful there for years and it's only getting worse.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So is there anything going on right now in congress beyond the senate judiciary committee drama? Any word on that drama?

MTG accused a hearing witness of dating a Chinese spy. The GOP chose to strike it which keeps it in the record.

Dems called some member a liar for allowing it and that was removed from the record entirely for attacking his character.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Still need to raise the debt ceiling. House won't do so without massive concessions.

A hostage worth ransoming, but not shooting, is really starting to look like it will get shot.

Mitch McConnell is back in action in the Senate after recovering from his fall.

For the most part nothing can get done with split government, and appointments are stalled by a tight Senate (Judiciary doubly so).

We still don't have a fifth member on the FCC, for example.

• Options

Still need to raise the debt ceiling. House won't do so without massive concessions.

A hostage worth ransoming, but not shooting, is really starting to look like it will get shot.

Mitch McConnell is back in action in the Senate after recovering from his fall.

For the most part nothing can get done with split government, and appointments are stalled by a tight Senate (Judiciary doubly so).

We still don't have a fifth member on the FCC, for example.

Thanks for the info, back to the usual non congressional complaining about other things.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Doodmann wrote: »
    fg

California doesn't hate Texas, it is mad that Texas is in charge of all the goddamn text books for some idiotic reason, and it like to make fun of their shit electrical grid (especially considering California's own history here) but otherwise it's a very Bay Area > SoCal beef. It's almost entirely one way.

FWIW, I don't have any grudge against Texans as a people. But the Republicans there have turned it into a legal hellscape that I would never ever want to live in.

My disdain is strictly towards the Texas government. California ain't perfect, but at least my wife doesn't have to live in fear that she'll someday have to carry a rape baby to term.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    A lot of republican state governments are very clear examples of "give an inch they'll take a mile"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A lot of republican state governments are very clear examples of "give an inch they'll take a mile"

But the Republicans are the sensible, responsible party of wise government and traditional American values.

and by that we mean racism and patriarchy

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

But the Republicans are the sensible, responsible party of wise government and traditional American values.

You forgot trying to have sex with children. Tennessee rep resigned today after a newspaper uncovered the secret reprimand he got for being really, really gross towards interns.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    fg

FWIW, I don't have any grudge against Texans as a people. But the Republicans there have turned it into a legal hellscape that I would never ever want to live in.

My disdain is strictly towards the Texas government. California ain't perfect, but at least my wife doesn't have to live in fear that she'll someday have to carry a rape baby to term.

Indeed, I have met many very nice Texans. I will just meet them outside of Texas, because Texas is an actively dangerous place to be a woman, or non-white. By which I mean the government of Texas is actively hostile to both groups.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The beef against Florida goes as far back as 2000 with GWB. Long before Florida Man.

The reason it gets treated as a red state these days it since Obama took office it's been trending red in a lot of votes and it sure feels like Democrats haven't been winning anything meaningful there for years and it's only getting worse.

Also, IIRC, since 2000 or so, Republicans have held the Governorship, both fed Senators, majorities in the fed House delegates, and both chambers of the state legislature for most if not the entire time.

I mean if that doesn't qualify it for red state status, what does? Kansas has had three terms of Democratic Governor in that same timeframe. Missouri had a two term Senator. Even Alabama had Doug Jones. I doubt anyone would argue they're not red states.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be contested. But there's no arguing that while the people might not be as hard right on policy (see Kansas abortion referendum, and Florida felon voting rights, both of which are being undermined by the legislatures) as their elected officials, when it comes to electoral outcomes, Florida appears to very much be a "red state" by any definition of the term.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I mean, the thing about Florida is it should be more purple.

But if you name an organization more incompetent and corrupt than Florida Dems, you start talking sports

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    And based on California I assume not a single person in texas also knows how to drive either. THATS RIGHT YOU SONS OF BITCHES I DON'T FORGET!!!

As a New Englander - 90% of the country are shamefully bad drivers. As bad a rap as Massholes get, at least they try to get from place to place with some level of purpose.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

As a New Englander - 90% of the country are shamefully bad drivers. As bad a rap as Massholes get, at least they try to get from place to place with some level of purpose.

As a Midwest transplant to New England, I'm gonna blame the roads. Those meandering, frost heave-striken, two-lane interstates that criss-cross NE aren't conducive to learning proper long-distance driving conduct, which is ironic since it takes so much longer to get anywhere.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

You forgot trying to have sex with children. Tennessee rep resigned today after a newspaper uncovered the secret reprimand he got for being really, really gross towards interns.

Not just any rep either, this was the guy who had the idea to expel those three other members.

Which got people to look in his general direction for once and oh what do you know.

Viskod on
  • Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Not just any rep either, this was the guy who had the idea to expel those three other members.

Which got people to look in his general direction for once and oh what do you know.

And harassed one of the interns to the point that the state government footed the bill to move her out of her apartment complex, which the rep also lived in, and put her in a hotel so he couldn't find her.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Also, IIRC, since 2000 or so, Republicans have held the Governorship, both fed Senators, majorities in the fed House delegates, and both chambers of the state legislature for most if not the entire time.

I mean if that doesn't qualify it for red state status, what does? Kansas has had three terms of Democratic Governor in that same timeframe. Missouri had a two term Senator. Even Alabama had Doug Jones. I doubt anyone would argue they're not red states.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be contested. But there's no arguing that while the people might not be as hard right on policy (see Kansas abortion referendum, and Florida felon voting rights, both of which are being undermined by the legislatures) as their elected officials, when it comes to electoral outcomes, Florida appears to very much be a "red state" by any definition of the term.

I feel like Gen X coming to retirement age is playing a big factor in this. I recently visited a mildly affluent aunt and uncle from Indiana that bought a place in Key Largo, and that whole region looks like a giant "Boaters for Trump" rally.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

I feel like Gen X coming to retirement age is playing a big factor in this. I recently visited a mildly affluent aunt and uncle from Indiana that bought a place in Key Largo, and that whole region looks like a giant "Boaters for Trump" rally.

Generational birth years are fuzzy and dubious, but any Gen Xer retiring now is retiring real early unless they're armed forces or something else with a fat pension.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It's not even a majority party, they just disenfranchised a lot of non-Republican voters.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    daveNYC wrote: »

Generational birth years are fuzzy and dubious, but any Gen Xer retiring now is retiring real early unless they're armed forces or something else with a fat pension.

A lot of Florida’s growth is coming from people retiring at 55 and moving to the 55+ metros springing up down there

People who retire at 55 = a lot of cops and business owners, btw

But also people that have been fortunate to accumulate wealth and property vs their age cohorts, which correlates with conservative-to-reactionary politics as well

So yeah this is a big part of Florida’s trajectory- a shit-ass dem party that’s happy getting rich being the subservient minority and a deliberate population growth strategy targeting the worst of our nation to bring in

Edit: this is so funny, I’m trying to give away an extension ladder I received 9 years ago from my then-55-year old neighbor who retired from his job as a firefighter to move to The Villages

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Also, though few Gen X may be truly retiring, a lot are empty nesters now and are restructuring their lifestyles.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I would love it if Florida’s growth is being fueled by reactionary shitheads moving there while retaining remote working jobs and polluting the discourse about lazy young people who they can’t get to go to work in person

That would be hilariously on-brand

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

As an older Gen Xer who is nowhere near able to retire, I completely agree.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

As a Midwest transplant to New England, I'm gonna blame the roads. Those meandering, frost heave-striken, two-lane interstates that criss-cross NE aren't conducive to learning proper long-distance driving conduct, which is ironic since it takes so much longer to get anywhere.

Nah, they toughen the drivers up and given you a sense of urgency since it takes forever.
    In my experience:
    1. Midwest drivers are terrible because they do not experience curves. Most things are grids with stoplights/stopsigns, so a 45 degree curve is something they have never prepared for. My sister went to college in Cedar Rapids - there's a set of random S turns that you can sit and watch people slow down to 20 mph and creep through.
    2. California drivers are terrible because they have no urgency or often sense they are even in a motor vehicle. That, coupled with a lack of alternative routes, means you get random traffic for no reason.
    3. Maryland/DC area drivers are terrible because they're as aggressive as new england drivers but they never bothered to develop any level of skill.
    4. NYC drivers CAN be bad as they're often city kids with no sense of what speed/roads actually are as they're bound by traffic 99% of the time, so any moment they can they slam that accelerator.
    5. New York state drivers are bad because they're constantly afraid of the state police ticketing them (100% legit).
    6. Mid-Atlantic drivers nail the rage of Maryland/Massachusetts with the skills of midwestern driving.

As far as New England, I find the general diversity of surfaces, structural types and terrain means you generally have to learn some level of driving. That said, Mass drivers are reliably aggressive, NH and VT are a bit out to lunch but reasonable (though backroads are taken at much higher speeds than others) and Maineiacs are just such a mixed bag I struggle to explain them - they'll often do just the speed limit on a 55 highway only to continue to do 55 through the center of a town.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

Nah, they toughen the drivers up and given you a sense of urgency since it takes forever.
    In my experience:
    1. Midwest drivers are terrible because they do not experience curves. Most things are grids with stoplights/stopsigns, so a 45 degree curve is something they have never prepared for. My sister went to college in Cedar Rapids - there's a set of random S turns that you can sit and watch people slow down to 20 mph and creep through.
    2. California drivers are terrible because they have no urgency or often sense they are even in a motor vehicle. That, coupled with a lack of alternative routes, means you get random traffic for no reason.
    3. Maryland/DC area drivers are terrible because they're as aggressive as new england drivers but they never bothered to develop any level of skill.
    4. NYC drivers CAN be bad as they're often city kids with no sense of what speed/roads actually are as they're bound by traffic 99% of the time, so any moment they can they slam that accelerator.
    5. New York state drivers are bad because they're constantly afraid of the state police ticketing them (100% legit).
    6. Mid-Atlantic drivers nail the rage of Maryland/Massachusetts with the skills of midwestern driving.

As far as New England, I find the general diversity of surfaces, structural types and terrain means you generally have to learn some level of driving. That said, Mass drivers are reliably aggressive, NH and VT are a bit out to lunch but reasonable (though backroads are taken at much higher speeds than others) and Maineiacs are just such a mixed bag I struggle to explain them - they'll often do just the speed limit on a 55 highway only to continue to do 55 through the center of a town.

And CT drivers are perfect

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    The Michigan town I grew up in prepared me well for driving since there aren't many straight roads. Lots of lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. There is a notorious S-turn by a church with a massive power pole that people keep crashing into when things get a bit slippery. My brother is also guilty of crashing into said pole.

RIP Susan the Red Race Car

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

In my experience:

CT drivers don't see yellow and I'm not even sure they see red. A whole lot of colorblindness I suppose.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »

In my experience:

CT drivers take all the worst parts of Mass and NYC drivers, generally. That said, we all feel bad for them as the CT interstates are designed to keep you in the state, as otherwise it would be empty, as most CT residents primarily have ire for other CT residents.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

A lot of Florida’s growth is coming from people retiring at 55 and moving to the 55+ metros springing up down there

People who retire at 55 = a lot of cops and business owners, btw

But also people that have been fortunate to accumulate wealth and property vs their age cohorts, which correlates with conservative-to-reactionary politics as well

So yeah this is a big part of Florida’s trajectory- a shit-ass dem party that’s happy getting rich being the subservient minority and a deliberate population growth strategy targeting the worst of our nation to bring in

Edit: this is so funny, I’m trying to give away an extension ladder I received 9 years ago from my then-55-year old neighbor who retired from his job as a firefighter to move to The Villages

9vatc6vdqnia.png
    https://usafacts.org/data/topics/people-society/population-and-demographics/our-changing-population/state/florida

Florida is headed for a huge population crisis very soon. The vast majority of people moving to Florida are old right-wingers, which is why the sudden large rightward shift. However, those people ain't gonna be around for much longer.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.