Options

[Fire Emblem] Strategy locked in commander. Very well...Engage!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Man...Hector's paralogue was something.

I will say they made sure he was very true to the memes lol.

(Bring Mages)

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Man...Hector's paralogue was something.

I will say they made sure he was very true to the memes lol.

(Bring Mages)

He has over 50 def for me :'(

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Camilla paralogue was long but mostly pretty easy. Had Louis hang back to handle the ground reinforcements and my own fliers took out the airborne ones while my grounded units wound around to the boss. Enemies weren't anything they couldn't handle.

Camilla took some experimenting and rewinds to figure out her trigger range and attack behavior, but I eventually figured out how to lure her down safely and then took her out with Ivy + Lyn, with an assist from Seadall.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    They have always been children in FE. Hell lyn was what 14 in the Japanese version and aged up ? It’s the jrpg trope where you retire at 25 and only celestial can live past 30.

14 is the age of consent in Japan (another search says 13). I remember looking it up after watching Neon Genesis Evangelion where characters are ogling a 14 year girl.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Good lord these people love talking about tea.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It's mainly Celine and Louis thing.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Did the Soren paralogue. Only carelessly left a unit in an impact crater once!

Wasn't sure about how to approach Soren until I figured out you can leave someone with moderate Res (Rosado, in my case) at the edge of his Bolting range and next to a healer to keep him distracted. Snuck down with some other flyers and took out most of the units around him, then rushed. He's got two revival stones but isn't physically tanky, so it was simple to take him out with a bunch of engage attacks.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Remember thar Manuela was seen as a washed up old maid at the age of…35.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Kind of hope they eventually add NG+ cause I would like to play the final expansion in line with the game so I actually use the characters you get.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Oh wow. FYI there are some good weapons to get from donations. Including at least one legendary!

Yeah, but, how do you scrape together enough money for that? Just throw every Goddess Icon at Anna and then throw Anna at every enemy?

I dunno I'm just in chapter 17 now. Probably just careful saving and selling items and if you really want them all at 5 running gold maps.

But I'm in chapter 17 right now with Firene at 4/5 (and an extra 12k in there) and the others at 3 and 2. Only done 2 skirmishes and 2 paralogues(none of the emblem ones). And I've thrown away money on plenty of dumb things like upgrading things I shouldn't have and too many master seals.

So I dunno.. it seems ok? Much better than money literally meaning nothing in most JRPGs. Choices matter and you dint just naturally get everything unless you wanna put in some extra effort.

Also holy fuck chapter 17 is a tough one!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    TBH I'm on C20 and I haven't inherited any skills beyond Lineage and I've never engraved an emblem on a weapon either.

The skills seems is very unappealing to me because there's very little point in inheriting anything but the two best skills for the character class, and it takes ages to be able to afford the 2-3000 SP stuff. Initially I thought to level Yunaka to 25 to get Pass Through then reclass to a wolf knight. I had assumed class skills could be slotted into the custom slots but they can't, so class switching is basically pointless.

I checked out the engraving when I had 3 or 4 emblems and while Marth's is a straight buff the others had some buffs and some negatives and I couldn't be bothered to try and figure out the ideal placement for them.

But now I've just realised you can have multiple weapons of the same engraving so I guess I've just played the entire game so far with everyone using weapons that could have had significantly better stats.

Also: animals. Dogs really seem like the best stable animals because they give you steel or silver for forging. Though I've found a couple that give a rare vegetable 100% of the time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Sigurd's Canter is a pretty useful all-round skill. Allowing you to reposition after combat is just kind of convenient. Especially if you don't want to pull too much aggro at once.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Yeah Canter is the best value skill hands down.

Healing Light is a great skill for healers, especially the martial healers since they can chain guard then heal, etc.

Resolve is pretty good. And so is Perceptive. Also the Hit+ skills are nice early game and still decent later.

A lot of the really good skills require some investment but you have some ones that are good bang for your buck.

Also it took me a second to realize what silver corrupted are for since they don't give you money like gold ones. They give whoever kill them bonus xp and SP do they're good for SP farming.

Also if you have the DLC Tiki's Starsphere is a +15% bonus to all growths for 1.5k which can be good early/mid game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Good lord these people love talking about tea.

Feels like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZK8Z8hulFg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Roy has a good one to grab for melee units called Advance for 500 SP, it lets you attack a unit two spaces away and end your turn next to them. so it can turn your 1 range weapons into 1-2, effectively

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    This Camilla paralogue is dreadful. It's just the Tiki fight but the map is 5x larger and it spawns 3x as many new enemies in every single turn.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Also it took me a second to realize what silver corrupted are for since they don't give you money like gold ones. They give whoever kill them bonus xp and SP do they're good for SP farming.

Aha. I just did one of those, and wondered why I only got 500g (which was probably an Anna kill that didn't register). It was a night fight too, with a spread out deployment where Jade and Louis butchered a dozen pegasus knights each while a quartet of others huddled in the map corner.

I've been taking the opportunity of the ~level 20 cap to do a bunch of skirmishes and get my unused units up to speed, while my core group sits out. Was kind of hoping for some money out of it too.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    @rami heads up the lower rank skills count towards their higher ranked counterparts. So you don't actually have to save up for the top tier skills.

So no reason to wait on getting skills if one you want on a character has an available low rank version. By chapter 20 you should have access to plenty of extremely worthwhile skills and plenty of SP to get them.

• Options
    Hector paralogue was actually the easiest of the bunch. Getting caught by a miasma vent made me feel stupid but poison effects aren't really that bad in this game. Rewound a lot to set everything up perfectly once I discovered Hector's trigger range, but then it was no problem to bait him into a Great Aether and then finish with a bunch of magic attacks.

Should be all set on Antitoxins for the rest of the playthrough.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I know Fire Emblem was probably always like this, but this game really makes it obvious that the enemies are basically on an XCom pod system.

Also there's some weird tricks once you get some terrain manipulation; enemy pods will activate and destroy ice or destructible terrain to charge at you, but if you make the terrain too hard to move through with fire or w/e they won't, which can let you get a closer approach or even attack the pod before they trigger.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So far gameplay-wise I am loving everything but the gacha rings. Story is as bad as I expected but that's fine since the gameplay carries it.

What really bothers me the most for some reason is Etie. After Effie, Rinkah, and Raphael you're telling me Etie is supposed to be into weight-lifting and fitness?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    You can also set up your defending party into pods if you're into the deep customization hole that is the Outrealms Trials.

In other news, so nice for Recreation spots to be a free addition. I got three support conversations straight off the bat from the new feature. Although, they were all C supports, which seem to require fairly little in terms of support points. Lots of dialogue to churn through after getting back from the most recent story mission.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    So far gameplay-wise I am loving everything but the gacha rings. Story is as bad as I expected but that's fine since the gameplay carries it.

What really bothers me the most for some reason is Etie. After Effie, Rinkah, and Raphael you're telling me Etie is supposed to be into weight-lifting and fitness?

Good news is the gacha rings are basically ignorable and very unimportant!

• Options
    "Oh you just threatened to murder me? Hey, no problem, I'll let you go because I'm such a nice guy!"

Some serious "DBZ in a nutshell " vibes from these characters for anyone who remembers that ancient piece of audio.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

Good news is the gacha rings are basically ignorable and very unimportant!

That is good news. So if I'm not burning them away gambling then bond fragments are pretty much only for leveling bond levels so you can skill inherit?

Giving a bunch of people canto and +10 avoidance seems like the kind of low hanging fruit that lasts all game until you specialize.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Pretty much.

I mostly use the bond points to get characters to 5 or have them reach a specific level for a skill.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Note, however, that characters need to be equipped with any ring to gain SP (at half the rate for Bond Rings), so it can be handy to have some Bond Rings to assign to folks without an Emblem Ring.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    One note about the Gacha rings. Save before you do a 10 roll.

If you happen to get a S-rank ring, note on the Lord's page what position it's in.

For example, on Marth's page, Caeda is in the number one spot.

Reload your game, then roll for a different Lord's rings, i.e. Sigurd.

Instead of S-Rank Caeda, you'll get S-Rank Deirdre. The random seed is set until you go do a battle, so you'll always roll a bond ring for a certain position; the only thing that changes is which Lord you get a Bond Ring from.

This can be helpful in targeting certain useful abilities on the Bond Rings.

This also works if you want to target gold A-rank rings, for example, you just need a lot more of them before you can merge them into S-rank rings with abilities.

• Options
    FYI for anyone, after Chapter 14 you get 40K gold added to your account. This was sorely needed for me as I was perpetually poor and couldn't afford Master Seals. I had several characters maxed.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    You can straight up abuse the ring generation since its tied to the seed. If you're cool with it, there's videos to explain like this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Te5MmTrVE

Frankly, I find it deeply annoying that the S rings have some very strong abilities hidden behind such a low chance. That's pure gacha crap.

That aside, I beat the game on Normal Casual yesterday. I think the length was just about right. Playing on Normal so difficulty wasn't really an issue. Big takeaways:
    • Canter is love. Canter is life. It single-handledly transforms your army. You can now do things like archer and mage volleys that fall back behind a defensive line
    • DLC rings are stupid overpowered. As someone said up thread, approaching "pay to win" levels.
    • It is deeply annoying that you lose the ability to reclass into mages/healers for a significant chunk of the midgame.
    • The story was aggressively bland. Honestly could have skipped every cutscene and missed nothing. I don't expect a lot out of a Fire Emblem story, but this one had me going "oh come on!" several times.

Stand out combos:
    • Ike on your tank for pulling aggro and baiting bosses. Had one late game boss that would have done 99 damage to Alear instead do 0 to Diamand+Ike.
    • Corrin + Covert unit to generate 60 avoid on a whim, anywhere on the field. The AI has no meaningful counter to just wafting a cloud of Avoid around the battlefield
    • Lyn + Covert for extremely long range sniping.
    • Lyn's doubles + a tank or evade tank. AI will waste entire turns trying to kill the doubles. Also, the doubles can counter! They can crit! (You gain no XP)
    • Anna + Anything. Seriously, that girl's nuts. Go sage and enjoy 80% MAG growth, or go warrior and give her the magic weapons.
    • You can farm XP by repeatedly using Micaiah's great sacrifice. Very helpful if you need to boost someone who is a long ways behind the level curve.
    • Leif offers a +Bld skill that can really help certain units.
    • The marriage equivalent comes late but offers a truly nuts Crit/Dodge chance for your pair.
    • If you are going to bother with S rank ring gacha, get the one that lets Thunder double. Incredible ability.

Overall, I enjoyed it and will probably return in a year or so to do a proper Hard Classic run instead of lazily ordering half my army to suicide charge to finish a map faster.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    I've been quite scared to spend any gold, bond points, or SP thus far. I'm having those "elixir" feelings that I might need them later. Can someone help justify or alleviate these worries?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I've been quite scared to spend any gold, bond points, or SP thus far. I'm having those "elixir" feelings that I might need them later. Can someone help justify or alleviate these worries?

Bond points replenish very quickly. I generated about 100k of them across my playthrough. As long as you float about 5000 to cover any sudden need to push up an Emblem ranking, you're good to blow the rest.

SP is slow to generate without grinding; you'll only really get about 2500 to 3000 for most units organically. In general pick an emblem you like and get their skills.

Gold is pretty brutal. You get a couple of strong infusions as you move around the map, but your gold generation outside of those set points is absolute crap. The "gold skirmish" generates a pretty weak amount (I was only getting about 3k gold per skirmish even in boosted regions). A far better option is to take Anna, stack her with Luck until she's stuffed to the gills, and have her kill things. A 30% chance of 500 gold over the course of the game will organically net way more money overall.

Edit: Oh, and put dogs out at the stable. They find iron/silver. Nothing else in the stables is worth that.

gavindel on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Iron/Silver Ingot stuff. Haven't spent any of those either. Are they also plentiful or should I spend wisely?

Ugh, while I love options in games, too many can really bog me down and freeze me out of using the systems.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    If you donate to a region you get a lot of metal just from harvesting.

Also you can reverse breakdown I think it was like Silver is 10 steel and 100 iron or something.

So the only thing that matters from the dogs is the silver cause you can get 50-100 easy for iron or steel from a single spot.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    If you donate to a region you get a lot of metal just from harvesting.

How do I harvest? Is that the post-victory talk to everyone scene or something different?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    After every battle, the Somniel restocks its stable drops. (Also a smaller percent refresh when you sleep).

Plus there's the after battle harvesting. That's in the map after you finish where all the characters stand around. The # of drops is static, but the volume increases. IE, if you max rank Brodia, you get 5(ish?) silver per silver drop instead of 1.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I feel like one level of donations in each region is enough to bump special Corrupted rates and to get access to regional animals, which can help you harvest cooking materials.

I also like just doing a ten roll on each Emblem ring's Bond Ring banner to fill in the Ring Reference a little. There's plenty of Bond Fragments to go around in order to do only that, and it'll give some options for your party members who can't get an Emblem ring.

Materials and gold for refines can't be spent completely haphazardly, but there's still enough to do a few useful upgrades between missions. You might want to limit yourself to a spare +1 or +2 here and there to get a crucial stat point (Arts and Knives are great targets, along with Killer weapons) early on. I've had to do a few Gold Corrupted skirmishes to make up some funds since I've been a little more aggressive with spending my metals. And make sure you're using engravings, they can have a huge impact on the role that a weapon plays and how you assign it to your army.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The best skirmishes are the castle training. You get 2k to 3k gold, and 30 exp per unit for finishing.

• Options
    The best skirmishes are the castle training. You get 2k to 3k gold, and 30 exp per unit for finishing.

Not only that, the permadeath is gone. I did a training mission at Brodia castle where I lost half of my units. Pretty much impossible for me in that mission to keep all my guys alive, so that's nice.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    gavindel wrote: »

Bond points replenish very quickly. I generated about 100k of them across my playthrough. As long as you float about 5000 to cover any sudden need to push up an Emblem ranking, you're good to blow the rest.

Cashing in your Achievements at the message board gives you a lot of Bond points. So remember to check the board whenever you've done a few.

WotanAnubis on