Options

[Tabletop Roleplaying]: Anyway Nazi punks fuck off

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Custom dice are cool if, and only if, you have a freely available online roller/do the legwork to make it work on VTT's as a company.

If it's at the point where the conversion chart between your magic symbols and a d6 is needed for anything than not paying ten bucks for more sets in person I'm out.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'm extremely jazzed for the MCDM game. It sounds like exactly what I want out of a tactical RPG. Yes please give me a reason to care about which weapon I pick.

NGL, this post is a tiny bit concerning:

Does anyone know what kind of dice he's talking about? Is it like the dice that DCC RPG uses?

Custom dice and lots of them.

He did a video a while back where he was raving about them.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I wont lie, i loved the custom ffg dice for genesis and bought 4 sets.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I believe they do plan to have a dice roller phone ap or online thingy, yes. Last I heard their dice system also overlapped with a regular polyhedral dice set, with simple conversion taking only a few minutes to memorize.

Nothing is set in stone for them yet, though.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'm extremely jazzed for the MCDM game. It sounds like exactly what I want out of a tactical RPG. Yes please give me a reason to care about which weapon I pick.

NGL, this post is a tiny bit concerning:

Does anyone know what kind of dice he's talking about? Is it like the dice that DCC RPG uses?

Custom dice and lots of them.

He did a video a while back where he was raving about them.

Huh. This dampens my enthusiasm a bit cause I already have way too many normal dice.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cowards.

You heard me.

Now is the time to unleash the untapped potential of card spinning tops.

670mnxljdqrq.jpeg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I can't help but notice the card resembles a clock

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Using regular dice? Boring
    Custom dice? Yawn

Play my new custom RPG where players announce their actions, and then wait for next week's lottery numbers to see if they succeed.

• Options
    Chall wrote: »
    Custom dice? Yawn

Play my new custom RPG where players announce their actions, and then wait for next week's lottery numbers to see if they succeed.

Hitting the Power Ball is a crit.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Custom dice? Yawn

My RPG uses a custom Tarot deck and a 10-page table to interpret the result. You use custom dice to determine which spread to use and you toss these small animal bones into the air to determine which card to draw for no wait, come back, I'm not even to the good part yet!

• Options
    I think you could do something with dominos. I really need something to do with these dominos. I am now making a little house with the dominos.

• Options
    I think you could do something with dominos. I really need something to do with these dominos. I am now making a little house with the dominos.

You place a Domino's order, and the quicker the delivery driver arrives the higher your score. You get a bonus for sharing your pizza.

That's what you meant right?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I assumed you make a chain of dominos and your result is how many of them topple over without fucking up.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Custom dice? Yawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXYc9P6U2Ng

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I like custom dice when they make figuring results out a simpler process, like how Betrayal at House on the Hill has multiple blank sides on the dice. It's effectively checking for a five or a six, but, you know, you're looking for "did I get any sides with a value"

I don't love dice with a bunch of custom symbols that you have to interpret

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I like Genesys a lot, but not really in love with custom dice otherwise (looking at you L5R 5th) or weird sizes (looking at you DCC).

Dice rolls need to be fast and intuitive. Even Genesys is pushing it.

• Options
    StaticValorStaticValor Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I like custom dice when they make figuring results out a simpler process, like how Betrayal at House on the Hill has multiple blank sides on the dice. It's effectively checking for a five or a six, but, you know, you're looking for "did I get any sides with a value"

I don't love dice with a bunch of custom symbols that you have to interpret

Yeah, don't give me a word problem.

Susie rolled 3 watermelons, a kitty cat, and 7 fire engines, did she roll high enough crush the skeleton into powder?

PSN staticvalor_1
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cowards.

You heard me.

670mnxljdqrq.jpeg

I was just looking at the game If I Were A Lich, Man on Kickstarter which uses dreidels as a randomization mechanic, so we're definitely close

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Part of me unreasonably holds onto the fantasy of a system that can be run if you only have a single d6. Even if something asks you to roll like 5d6 you can roll the die, record the result, and keep rolling until you have your rolls.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Part of me unreasonably holds onto the fantasy of a system that can be run if you only have a single d6. Even if something asks you to roll like 5d6 you can roll the die, record the result, and keep rolling until you have your rolls.

You can! With lots of games! I mean the ones I’m thinking of use 2d6, but it’s not a big stretch.

I don’t think it’d be tough to drop Apocalypse World down to 1d6. Instead of 10+/7-9/6- you could narrow it to 6/3-5/2-1 or something for dice results, then ditch any stat increases after +1.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am eternally torn between the two poles, part of me wants to be able to use nothing more than two six sided dice and the other part wants each character to have a custom deck of cards that they ritually destroy or a dozen different polyhedrals that represent distinct parts of the self or whatever else

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the flipside. Having a buncha custom d10's with like, 4-5 resources they could roll with different color die having different distributions of them seems really cool. The perfectionist brain demanding unreasonable standards.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    In Defense of really big tables of resolution: DnD would scale with its levels much better if it was based on one of those strategic scale wargame’s combat resolution by odds tables.

1tg4t73xfzlo.png

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I am eternally torn between the two poles, part of me wants to be able to use nothing more than two six sided dice and the other part wants each character to have a custom deck of cards that they ritually destroy or a dozen different polyhedrals that represent distinct parts of the self or whatever else
    Not gonna lie, the one session of Exalted that I played I was delighted when I rolled what seemed like a bucket of dice.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    In Defense of really big tables of resolution: DnD would scale with its levels much better if it was based on one of those strategic scale wargame’s combat resolution by odds tables.

1tg4t73xfzlo.png

hey grandpa have you seen the slide rule anywhere

jk i don't know what a slide rule is

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

1tg4t73xfzlo.png

hey grandpa have you seen the slide rule anywhere

jk i don't know what a slide rule is

It's what I use to beat whippersnappers.

It's next to my counter clipper in my ASL box.

I'm joking, I only own one of those things.

• Options

1tg4t73xfzlo.png

I see you too are making a language.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, the one session of Exalted that I played I was delighted when I rolled what seemed like a bucket of dice.

I don't actually like rolling a lot of dice, that feels tedious to me

But a variety of them, ooh yes

• Options
    TBH I was mostly joking but a game that just used an odds table with Eliminated, Flee, Reduced as the consequences could probably be mapped onto a dungeon delve kinda thing.

Or at least something which is explicitly wargamey but mapped to fantasy stuff where 'artillery' is just your mage. Maybe sommething to run a second Command Confusion where every player's POV is their Heroic fantasy hero's current location and they try to coordinate a defense and solution to the big undead invasion of a town or something with the local forces.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Last night the DM in my Icewind Dale campaign asked me to make a performance check to pretend to be a dog...as a druid in wild shape. I rolled a 2. What even is that? Do I start walking on my back legs and asking about the weather?

Later, we got into a very overtuned fight. Five v five, we're level 6, enemies all had AC 21 and 85 HP and two attacks a round. Very close to a TPK. Close enough that I would bet dinner that the DM started fudging the numbers. The hit rate of the enemies towards the end suddenly dropped to 1 out of 4 when our average party AC is 14 and they're rocking somewhere around a +6.

When only one enemy was left, I told the dwarf, "Open the passage so we can chase your boss and we'll let you live." DM asked for a persuasion check => 2.

Slight pause.

"...with advantage."

He agreed. How nice. Just...just still trying to gently coach the DM don't ask for a roll if it should logically succeed.

I am feeling frustrated in this game. I'll give an example. We ended with this combat. The enemy opened a secret corridor for us to chase down the boss. The boss is a dwarf (speed 25), and it had been 7 rounds total since combat started. He ran away on round 3.

So, logically, he's no more than 200 feet away down a secret tunnel, and we have been stated to be quite far from the normal dwarven settlement. Oh, and he also doffed his plate mail which had been Heat Metal'd somewhere in that 6 rounds, without damaging it.

We have a monk that can zoom, a ranger under Zephyr that can zoom. By all rights, we should shoot down that corridor and beat the the boss to death. But I am gonna bet that he "gets away". That he's just gone. The corridor ends, the secret tunnel forks, there's no way to track him, he ducked into a sudden group of innocent bystanders, whatever.

It just keeps happening. The bad guys planned ahead of us; they always had a back-up; they had a wagon waiting; they went invisible. Basically as soon as the bad guy drops from our immediate line of sight they enter Quantum DM land where they can negate anything and vanish.

I try to tell myself "New GM, help them learn" and all that, but i have this sinking feeling that we're gonna end up at the resolution that the DM planned and not the one that makes sense in the world.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I think the dice systems I've liked the most are Legends of the Wulin and Shadowrun 5e for all the wrong reasons.

Legends of the Wulin made dice a very fun part of the game because there was like a game within the game there.

And Shadowrun 5e, like, yes, I want to throw giant handfuls of dice and announce to the GM how large the pool is so that I can see his jaw drop when he realizes he has entered thine wheelhouse.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Also as a random aside can some of you get into Traveller so I can play my lion lady navigator who doesn't grasp gender but can suplex 64 lesser men?

I think that game is on my TTRPG bucket list but I don't know any GM's (including myself) who are down for it.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The goal with designing any sort of random system to determine outcomes in a game should be to hide as much of the math and work as you can in order to get to the good part, which is the outcome. There's a lot of complicated stuff in D&D, but most rolls come down to "roll one die and add a modifier, then report that number to the DM." Big piles of dice are a reward for hitting someone, etc.

When I was playing around with developing a tactical game, I'd half settled on using different varieties of D6 that would be different colors based on how easy it'd be to succeed on a roll with them, and then I sat down and did a bunch of math to figure out what would make for interesting progression for an ability check, and found that adding a second red die (the worst die) is probably going to result in more successful outcomes than just upgrading from a singular red die to a singular yellow die, unless you need all die to succeed, etc. Like, there was a lot of complicated math going on, but the goal in the end would be that you'd get a weapon card or something that said like, ROLL TWO GREEN DICE AND SEE IF ONE HITS and each green dice would have "success" or "failure" sides, and you could tell at a glance if it'd worked, and the game would move on. The math was built into the design, but players wouldn't have to interact with it unless they wanted to.

It didn't go any further than that, because I got bored trying to do the action/movement economy, but

• Options
    TBH as far as resolution systems go I either want it to be a single die cast I have no influence over or something where the choices are obvious without a calculator.

2D20 is pretty perfect in that regard: You roll 2d20 and check for success, but you can spend meta currency to roll up to 5d20 to get more successes. It makes sense both as a boost to do hard rolls and as a way to get flashy on easy rolls. The dice are minimally complex (Because you can do a 1-20 roll under as a 1-100% chance easy) but reflect complexity and depth back where you want it: On the player making choices using tools they understand.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I like Genesys a lot, but not really in love with custom dice otherwise (looking at you L5R 5th) or weird sizes (looking at you DCC).

Dice rolls need to be fast and intuitive. Even Genesys is pushing it.

Yea genesys works because there are blank faces, like only 3 symbols, one of which is a crit symbol on the big die. the dice themselves are color coded positive or negative, which changes their symbol counts.

In the end you are just adding up one of two symbols, and if you crit or not.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just realized that once our group's campaign takes off and my tiefling wizard eventually hits level 2 and takes a level of arcana domain cleric, she'll have 9 cantrips (3 from wizard, 3 from cleric, 1 from tiefling variant, 2 wizard cantrips from the arcana cleric feature). Gonna be pretty versatile!

Also, since we'll be running Dragon Heist and some of the stuff from the new heist book as well (something about golden keys), I should think about spells and stuff that would come in handy in situations like that.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Cowards.

You heard me.

670mnxljdqrq.jpeg

This made me laugh for like a solid minute

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SayblekittenSayblekitten Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Actually, that's this system here. Also this system here (an OGL version of the venerable Star Wars d6 system)

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Cowards.

You heard me.

670mnxljdqrq.jpeg

I was just looking at the game If I Were A Lich, Man on Kickstarter which uses dreidels as a randomization mechanic, so we're definitely close

This works on a lot of levels.

• Options
    TBH I was mostly joking but a game that just used an odds table with Eliminated, Flee, Reduced as the consequences could probably be mapped onto a dungeon delve kinda thing.

Or at least something which is explicitly wargamey but mapped to fantasy stuff where 'artillery' is just your mage. Maybe sommething to run a second Command Confusion where every player's POV is their Heroic fantasy hero's current location and they try to coordinate a defense and solution to the big undead invasion of a town or something with the local forces.

Okay so old school combat results table (The CRT racist dads can get behind ba dum tsh) stuff but for a game featuring heroes:

E=Eliminated, R=Retreat B=Bloody counter equal to number shown on theoretically CRT

Are the results we're working off. Bloodied counters get flipped to an alternative side. Typically with reduced stats though honour guards may get braver when on the edge and berserker heroes actually get harder to put down when you bloody them. If a bloodied counter doesn't get reinforced or healed before being bloodied again it's eliminated.

Counters are either Heroes/Villains (same thing, different sides) or Forces representing squads and small armies rallying around their respective Cool Hero Dudes.

Every counter has Might and Bravery. Heroes also have Wits and Leadership.

Might: What generates the odds for the Combat Results Table. This is the raw martial force, toughness and violence doingness of a counter.

Bravery: Your cohesion, charisma and sheer will. This is what counters use to rally after retreats, resist grand spells and so on. It's also what heroes can use to resist being reduced/bloodied.

Wits: Roll to scout, understand or interact with weird objects on the battlefield. This is the catch all nerd stat. Villains also have this to help resist some spells but y'know, they're big undead dudes or whatever so not too interested in most uses of it.

Leadership: A flat boost to the stats of Forces in the same zone as the hero. This is usually zero but grand strategists might have a +2 that fully makes up for their might issues if they're in a big stack. Lone ranger types and incompetent goblin warbosses might have a -1.

Counters can also have special abilities. Especially heroes. Some examples could be:

Champion (C): For elite units and also every fighter style hero/villain. This represents giga chads who swing fights by themselves. If they're present on one side but not the other swing the odds column one to your favour.

Artillery (A): Big mages, actual artillery and so on. Can fling attacks into the next zone. While they'll probably have low odds of making an impact (Their force vs whatever army is there) the advantage is that you just ignore anything that would adversely hurt the attacker.

Healer (H): Obvious, can heal bloodied Hero/Villain counters.

Rogue (R): Counteracts champions on the otherside but doesn't count as a champion themselves. Also if a force with a Rogue hero/villain retreats it doesn't become in disarray/need rallying.

This discussion has been closed.