Options

The Painting Exposition.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Tbh the key to hordes painted is having a plan and knowing what you can get away with not doing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I’m using streaking grime on my orks and i figure it saves me at least three steps that would otherwise take more time then just glopping on the grime and wiping it off.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Tbh the key to hordes painted is having a plan and knowing what you can get away with not doing

I am not a total monster I do plan on painting in the eyes and teeth of the carpet of termagants I have

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I do love Ork armies and don't ever want to build and paint one.

Those look great!

Honestly? In just starting mine and they are a joy to put together and paint. Just don’t start with green tide.

I had one in 5th. I sold it in 8th.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I had a fairly interesting conversation with a commission painter a couple days ago and learned quite a bit.

I didn't think to ask at the time, for something like painting power armor is there any practical difference between "blacklining" and brush painting to make sure you skip the blacklined areas (shadows), or using something like an oil or enamel wash afterwards to pinwash in the blacklines?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Not claiming to be the most expert or that this is all-encompassing, but:

an oil or enamel wash (or something like contrast), depending on the dilution, will have kind smooth blend from darkest corner where it ends up being thickest to outwards where there's less pigment over the original colour.
    You could achieve a kinda similar effect by layering or glazing your colour over a dark basecoat and with every further layer/glaze being further eway from the deepest corner. The latter takes way more time and brush control. The effect of both will look different

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering exactly how ridiculous LI tinys (like minis, but smaller) are:
    h121c3mhgp8o.jpeg
    On the left, seven parts. On the right, fourteen.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    My Mutalith stand in is ready. Blood for the Blood God is pretty neat h0j1m5am7arr.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to hate painting. I want to paint well, but pressure is telling me to speed up and just get things done. Problem is, speed painting techs just don't work well for the stuff I play or am working on building up right now (World Eaters and Stormcasts).

I just want to sit down and play stuff, but I have all these grey and primed minis sitting here and I get endless shit from folks locally about my stuff not being painted.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to hate painting. I want to paint well, but pressure is telling me to speed up and just get things done. Problem is, speed painting techs just don't work well for the stuff I play or am working on building up right now (World Eaters and Stormcasts).

I just want to sit down and play stuff, but I have all these grey and primed minis sitting here and I get endless shit from folks locally about my stuff not being painted.

Firstly you're well within your rights to tell anyone giving you grief to fuck right off if it's getting you down. It's a hobby you do for fun, not work. You owe nobody any obligation to paint anything you don't want to.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'speed painting techs don't work well' on your stuff? Stormcast can be metallic spray and contrast/ink and you're 90% done if you want to. You need to decide if you want to paint to your best ability and accept it'll take forever, or you want to do good enough at table top distance and get stuff done. Trying to do both is impossible for most of us and leads to the paralysis and bad feels you have now.

Maybe try getting that base and ink down on a unit and tell yourself you can come back to do the details later? That absolute minimum will look so much better on the table than grey plastic and the good gaming feelings that produces helps massively with the motivation.

Of course you can also be happy with just grey plastic if you want to be! Not everybody needs to engage with all aspects of the hobby. If you just like the actual physical gaming bit that's perfectly fine.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    If you want to, maybe you can post your paint scheme and what painting tools you have at your disposal, and maybe someone has a good idea on how to get to where you want to go the easiest way?

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

Firstly you're well within your rights to tell anyone giving you grief to fuck right off if it's getting you down. It's a hobby you do for fun, not work. You owe nobody any obligation to paint anything you don't want to.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'speed painting techs don't work well' on your stuff? Stormcast can be metallic spray and contrast/ink and you're 90% done if you want to. You need to decide if you want to paint to your best ability and accept it'll take forever, or you want to do good enough at table top distance and get stuff done. Trying to do both is impossible for most of us and leads to the paralysis and bad feels you have now.

Maybe try getting that base and ink down on a unit and tell yourself you can come back to do the details later? That absolute minimum will look so much better on the table than grey plastic and the good gaming feelings that produces helps massively with the motivation.

Of course you can also be happy with just grey plastic if you want to be! Not everybody needs to engage with all aspects of the hobby. If you just like the actual physical gaming bit that's perfectly fine.

I've tried Contrast paints on some Stormcast test minis and absolutely hated the way they came out. Likewise with Space Marines. Too many smooth non-detailed surfaces aren't great for contrasts/inks. My Ork Kommando kill team paints up great with them though.
    honovere wrote: »
    If you want to, maybe you can post your paint scheme and what painting tools you have at your disposal, and maybe someone has a good idea on how to get to where you want to go the easiest way?
    My Stormcasts are painted as Astral Templars. ProAcryl Burgundy for the armor, Glistening Gold from Two Thin Coats for all the pauldrons, trim, and so on. In the interest of time I usually also paint the hilts and pommels of weapons with the same Glistening Gold, but shade them along with all the non-pauldron/trim bits with Nuln Oil. The main gold bits get a wash of Coelia Greenshade.

My Space Marines are similar. Screamer Pink for the armor, Abaddon Black/Black Legion on the chapter shoulder, Retributor Armour for the trim (and any mechanical hands/arms/power fist fingers, etc.), and Dark Reaper for the bolter casings. Armor gets washed with Carroburg Crimson, trim gets washed with Reikland Fleshshade, and everything else gets Nuln'd.

World Eaters vary. Some things I do the standard red/brass with Mephiston Red and Runelord Brass, wash it all with Agrax Earthshade and call it a day. A custom paint scheme I've been using for them is prime with Leadbelcher, drybrush a brighter silver like Stormhost Silver, paint the armor panels in a bone color (Zandri Dust usually) and the inside armor lining and bolt pistol casings with Khorne Red. Everything but the red parts get washed with Seraphim Sepia, and the bone bits get a final light highlight of Ushabti Bone. Keeping the trim neat takes forever, regardless of how I prime and paint. I'm talking ~2 hours per model for a basic Berzerker.

As far as tools? Basic stuff. Brushes of varying quality and sizes. Dry brushes. I have an airbrush and compressor (Iwata Eclipse) that I only ever use for priming stuff. Trying to actually paint a model with it sucks due to cramping from hand problems.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    I'd use the airbrush to lay down your base coat too, then paint acrylics by hand on the details. It'll save you a ton of time for armies that are 95% armor.

• Options
    edited May 28
    Did a test mini for CoS. Going to pick up the spearhead. Pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

cb6hft3nde43.jpeg
    93ewnbumbxsn.jpeg
    mdbxgw9c0uzp.jpeg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I saw this video for Khorne Beserkers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIrOQ5sibpk&pp=ygUaaG93IHRvIHBhaW50IHdvcmxkIGVhdGVycyA%3D

It looks pretty easy; mostly dry brushing with a bit of the trim being painted on. He’s saying 20mins per mini.

Looks like it leaves things at a pretty good tabletop standard but the opportunity to go back if you want.

I want to say it’s a skill to know when to just call it on a model. I think just getting some paint on a model just helps so much. I had a game where I didn’t have 3 characters and some jet bikes done, but they had most of their red done and they fit in fine.

uisbrw3auzb8.jpeg

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Haven't decided on colours for the crest yet.
    Sergeants so far have black/white. Yellow is a spot colour for the army so far. This guy also has some purple on the cloak. Maybe purple/white crest, too? Or keep the black/white army wide?
    dzrxvxr6miie.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know it's almost finished by the look of it but purple stripes? I feel the only way to know wis to test it but if you don't like it

• Options
    I might try Photoshopping it

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I vote purple!

what am i voting for again?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Haven't decided on colours for the crest yet.
    Sergeants so far have black/white. Yellow is a spot colour for the army so far. This guy also has some purple on the cloak. Maybe purple/white crest, too? Or keep the black/white army wide?
    dzrxvxr6miie.jpg

Good lord that mini has some TEXTURE. Amazing work!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks
    xyj1ynn6slm2.png

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The purple looks good on its own but I think it ends up being the highest chroma color on the model and drawing the eye away from all the detail and towards the head decoration, which is not ideal.

I think even if you go for a more dramatic color choice you want a more muted tone.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I second that. Also, to me personally, when you colour the bows at the ends of the crest they end up looking like bows on a girl's pigtails. I'd stick to painting the crest.
    All in all an amazing job so far.

• Options
    edited May 31
    yea, slightly boring as it may be I'm trending to nr.5 right now. Model already has so much going on

unrelated to that: it's interesting how differently the differnt pigments stick to surfaces. There's a rust pigment in some parts of the bases and it sticks really well and covrs nicely. The main pigments, a yellow and a pale ochre on the other hand don't stick to flat surfaces at all, kinda? Makes blending the model into the base a bit of a hassle

honovere on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I vote for purple, but go dark.

I also vote for painting the bows at the end. Give that man the pigtails he clearly needs.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I am loathe to admit it but 4 or 5 with a heavy lean towards 5. It's the least disruptive to the overall composition.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Went with 5
    rkmzxdjbxhrn.jpg

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I was going to say: 5 might be the most boring, but it also feels the most right.

As always, looks awesome.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited June 1
    qt0s1jb82ate.jpeg
    iv8h1nf0cswf.jpeg
    11lznz4jznmg.jpeg
    6g99wrtj05jk.jpeg

Buying my coworker a bottle of resin was a great investment

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Adeptus Mechorkus?

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Well, this sucks
    I just spilled a pot of micro set over a pile of decal sheets.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oof, that sucks

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2
    Doing some Stormcast test paint schemes in prep for 4.0. Vallejo Liquid Gold, Vallejo Air Silver and Vallejo air burnt steel. Already I'm leaning hard for the burnt steel, but we'll see what it's like when it's done.

owp9ogsjwnc5.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm quite proud of myself for this:

Q4pvrVO.jpg

Not for the painting, which is passable at best, but because I've managed it all in one day. Thing is with the clear acrylic bases you need to have the feet painted before you can glue them on, and then I just kind of kept going.

Let's hope I like Rumbleslam now when I have my first game on Tuesday!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    While putting on the varnish on the characters and recon marines I remembered this little thing hanging out in the cupboard. I can't even field it without dragging out my old guard as militia to get to enough points :D
    io1d8tcrdh9f.jpg
    Decals done. Oils next

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That man simply cannot fit through that hatch. Top entry only? :tongue:

• Options
    I could put on pauldrons on him, too ;)

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The armour is fixed there, he just slides into it :blush:

• Options
    just popping his head through the collar, the arms are all robotics

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Space marines fitting through any vehicle hatch is mostly looney tune physics

BahamutZERO.gif