As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] WoW Expansion info leaked

• Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    I don't really find the Arena to be "work", sure, its unbalanced which causes frustration, but its not the ridiculous grind of the raiding that made me have to quit wow last year. I play alot now, because I don't have school yet, but when it starts, it won't require playing all afternoon every day to make my player better.

If only they'd make the arena more fun, it'd be perfect.

Oh well, WAR is coming out soon anyway.

What is WAR?

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

kaz67 on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've actually started another character, to replace my 70 Shaman, but...Uh, I just don't know.

My account finishes in 4 days, but I don't know if I want to renew it now. Northrend would be awesome, but I can't imagine having to go up to 80. I really hate doing 20-60, and 60-70 is a pain in the ass just because I have to look up quests in WoWhead so often.

I'd really like to see more free content, to be honest. I don't know if I want to plop another $50 into this.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Beck wrote: »
    I've actually started another character, to replace my 70 Shaman, but...Uh, I just don't know.

My account finishes in 4 days, but I don't know if I want to renew it now. Northrend would be awesome, but I can't imagine having to go up to 80. I really hate doing 20-60, and 60-70 is a pain in the ass just because I have to look up quests in WoWhead so often.

I'd really like to see more free content, to be honest. I don't know if I want to plop another $50 into this.

Lightheaded! Problem solved! Actually uses WoWhead to help you with quests; can even read comments on quests from WoWhead and click coords to place on map. Best thing ever!

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As a fairly new mid level player (only just hit 40 and got my mount) I'm a tad confused by the talk of raising the level cap taking away end game content... Do they actually remove things or are people just moaning that it will no longer get them the best stuff and so there's no point doing it? Half the reward of accessing a new area/dungeon is getting to experience a new area isn't it?

Also pardon my ignorance but am I right in thinking that raiding is just many man instances or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Beck wrote: »
    60-70 is a pain in the ass just because I have to look up quests in WoWhead so often.

It's this attitude I don't understand. Isn't this tantamount to playing through any game with a full walkthrough and bemoaning the lack of fun and challenge?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I don't really find the Arena to be "work", sure, its unbalanced which causes frustration, but its not the ridiculous grind of the raiding that made me have to quit wow last year. I play alot now, because I don't have school yet, but when it starts, it won't require playing all afternoon every day to make my player better.

If only they'd make the arena more fun, it'd be perfect.

Oh well, WAR is coming out soon anyway.

What is WAR?

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Oh... that game which looks crap even in the promotional screenshots. Man, people painted the figurines a hell of a lot better 15 years ago than those supposedly "modern" graphics.

Back to WOW... you really think they will add two new races already?

Has anyone ever made a poll asking for 20-60 content vs. 60+ content? What was the outcome, I wonder?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Back to WOW... you really think they will add two new races already?

I have my doubts on this as well. Sure, Blizz pulled the Dranaei out of their asses, but I think everyone knew that Blood Elves would be coming down the pipe eventually. Other than Naga, Worgen, and maybe another Troll subrace, I can't really see any other viable existing races that could be used as player races. Of course, since I've never gotten a character past level 34, I'm probably missing other choices. I just hope that if new races are coming, that Blizz doesn't go the Dranaei route. I'd love to play a Worgen.

In terms of 20-60 content, couldn't they open up Gilneas, or whatever the region behind the big ass wall in Silverpine Forest is? Seems like a logical place to put some 40+ content.

I'm not sure how I feel about opening Northrend so soon. I read an interesting message on the WOW forums by a player who feels the Southseas are a better option. Pirates, islands, perhaps even naval warfare. It was an interesting, and surprisingly coherent, player proposal.

Whatever does come will probably spur me to reactivate my account, create a new character, and play for a month. Damn Blizzard.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    As a fairly new mid level player (only just hit 40 and got my mount) I'm a tad confused by the talk of raising the level cap taking away end game content... Do they actually remove things or are people just moaning that it will no longer get them the best stuff and so there's no point doing it? Half the reward of accessing a new area/dungeon is getting to experience a new area isn't it?

Also pardon my ignorance but am I right in thinking that raiding is just many man instances or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick?

As true as that is, and as much as I'd like to go back and run any of the level 60 raid instances (I didn't hit it until post TBC), there's just not enough people doing it. To get upwards of 20 people together who are all willing to put forth the effort to do an instance that will gain them absolutely no character or guild progress is nearly impossible. As much as I'd love to do the C'thun fight, I'd also love to down Magtheridon, and move on to Serpentshrine Cavern, and the Eye, and Mount Hyjal, and the Black Temple. Occasionally we'll put together five mans to do the Raptor or Tiger bosses in ZG (we never really gave up on those mounts) but as much as being able to go to a new dungeon and experience a new fight is a huge draw for raiding, so is the feeling of progress, breaking new ground and moving your guild up in the world.

EDIT: Also, yeah, raiding is doing an instance that requires a raid. That is to say, any more than 5 people.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    ApplebeeApplebee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A little high up birdie told me:

It is called Wrath of the Lich King. It is set in Northrend. There is a new class, Death Knight. They are raising the level cap to 80.
    Considering Death Knights are undead sworn to the Lich King's service, I'd say your birdie's pretty high.

However as a small group of the lich kings knights were out pillaging a friendly naaru crashed into them from space freeing them from the lich kings command, these renegade death knights have sided with the horde and the alliance in attempt to overthrow their evil brethren.

Forums :
    "Death Knights and Nerfs , a serious Discussion"
    "Reduce death knights armor?"
    "deathknight/paladin is beyong OP in 2v2"
    "NeRf dark strike to 15%"

Applebee on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Oh... that game which looks crap even in the promotional screenshots. Man, people painted the figurines a hell of a lot better 15 years ago than those supposedly "modern" graphics.

Wow, you're either high or just trolling.

Echo on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It is called Wrath of the Lich King. It is set in Northrend. There is a new class, Death Knight. They are raising the level cap to 80.
    Considering Death Knights are undead sworn to the Lich King's service, I'd say your birdie's pretty high.

Aren't Warlocks in the service of the Burning Legion?

KiTA on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There are so many classes i want to try out at high level, but i simply do not have the time. It's not just 1-70, it's the repgrind and geargrind (craftables) at the end too. Getting to 70 is half the battle.

But yes, the 20-60 is extremely monotonous. I've done it 3 times, horde warrior, alliance priest, alliance rogue, over the course of 2.5 years. I'd love to play a prot paladin but i do not have the time any more, nor the energy.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    FrdztecFrdztec Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    I've tried unsuccessfully to quit WoW a few times now... guess I'll just have to pick this up. New 20-60 content would be a HUGE bonus. Those zones get pretty tiring after you've done them fifteeen trillion times.

fix'd

Frdztec on
    sig-587082.jpg
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KiTA wrote: »

Aren't Warlocks in the service of the Burning Legion?

Yep. And the Draenei are a stealthy, agrarian slave race native to Outland. Totally not space demons. :P

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This paladin I'm alting with when not doing stuff on my 70 rogue is the last damn character I'll ever level unless Blizzard changes something.

Echo on
  • Options
    ApplebeeApplebee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blizzard almost never makes any big changes , the most you can hope to see is a patch note like:
    The amount of experience required to level from 1-60 has been reduced by roughly 15%.

Applebee on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yay! more collection quests!
    "Please bring back 15 Megadaemonlord toenails, adventurer. Or is that Deathvenomspider penises. Oh god, just bring back 15 of some item that has no use whatsoever and we'll move this along."

New raid content!
    "Ok guys, when he reaches 15% all the righthanded people need to recite the lyrics from The Cure's Lovesong while the rest throw red Lego blocks at him. Oh, and did everyone remember to wear a hat?"

O_o

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never understand players who play a game for months/years, finally quit because they're bored levelling a bajillion alts, and they say "lol that game sux it's all the same". Why the hell were you playing it if it's such a chore? Lack of other games/things to do?

Anyway, I'm an EQ2 player who's dabbling in WoW right now, and I think WoW would be better served to use EQ2's recent expansion model. The last EQ2 expansion didn't raise the level cap, but added 50 new Achievement Points, similar to AA from EQ1 (I believe someone mentioned this earlier). This lets you progress your character and get new abilities, without making the previous expansion's content pointless. This is more important in EQ2 because of Trivial Loot Code, but I think the same principle applies. More than one expansion without a level cap raise is too much though - it may have worked in EQ1, but I doubt it would again.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought 60-70 was pretty fun. It was certainly better designed than 50-60.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    stryker116 wrote: »
    This lets you progress your character and get new abilities, without making the previous expansion's content pointless. This is more important in EQ2 because of Trivial Loot Code, but I think the same principle applies. More than one expansion without a level cap raise is too much though - it may have worked in EQ1, but I doubt it would again.

Agreed. I'm still pissed that I never got to do Naxxramas. It's a pretty awesome place from what I've heard.

I just hope Blizzard finds a model that doesn't make old content obsolete.

Echo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will there be more two headed dog models?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    stryker116 wrote: »
    This lets you progress your character and get new abilities, without making the previous expansion's content pointless. This is more important in EQ2 because of Trivial Loot Code, but I think the same principle applies. More than one expansion without a level cap raise is too much though - it may have worked in EQ1, but I doubt it would again.

Agreed. I'm still pissed that I never got to do Naxxramas. It's a pretty awesome place from what I've heard.

I just hope Blizzard finds a model that doesn't make old content obsolete.

This. I have done Naxx to a point, and while it was a frustrating experience at times (we were undergeared and and understaffed, barely scraping together 40 raiders for the naxx raids), it was also a pinnacle of raiding, where everyone needed to be on their toes. I would love for a model that would bring all the old raid zones into play again. At current progress rate, i'm not gonna see BT or Hyjal unless i do switch to the only hardcore guild on the server (I got enough connections that i can pretty much just ask to join, but i do not want to leave my current guild), and i'd hate to miss out on the fights, the mechanics, the enviroments and the models, and the first kill thrill.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    I've tried unsuccessfully to quit WoW a few times now... guess I'll just have to pick this up. New 20-60 content would be a HUGE bonus. Those zones get pretty tiring after you've done them once.

I actually quit WoW a few months ago, but I would reactivate, at least for a month, if they added classes and reworked the 20-60 grind. Because goddamn I hate that. It's why my characters were all low-mid level, and why I quit.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Someone once described what Northrend should be like if they release it in an expansion, and I thought the idea was better than anything Blizzard could ever come up with.

The only actual towns should be ports on the coast. The entire continent is filled with NPCs, and the closer you get to the center of the continent the stronger they get and the closer they are together. These NPCs are being spawned and attack the towns in waves every so often. All the quests the players do would help fortify the town's defenses, giving it stronger guards and maybe some barricades to keep the undead bottlenecked. If a town got overrun, it'd be out of operation for a week, and then players would need to clear it out for NPCs to move back in.

There are no instances, all the bosses are world bosses. That way to take one down, instead of taking a raid through a scripted dungeon you'd have to stab out with your team into the undead mobs searching your target out leading the scourge.

In the middle of the continent is Arthas, sitting on the frozen throne. If you aggro him, he wipes out your raid. Period. Not every NPC in WoW should be killable by players.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can think of nothing worse than every boss being a world boss.

I'd never get a chance to kill any of them.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    In the middle of the continent is Arthas, sitting on the frozen throne. If you aggro him, he wipes out your raid. Period. Not every NPC in WoW should be killable by players.

I actually agree with this sentiment, although I imagine many others don't. I'm surprised that there are raids in BC that have you killing both Prince Kael'thas and Illidan, two very central figures to the Frozen Throne story and the current world's lore. It'd be one thing if you fight them and when you "win", they simply throw some trinkets down to appease you (the loot) and then retreat because they're bored fighting you.

When you kill a major story character and nothing changes in the game world, that seems awfully odd. Especially in the case of Arthas, who's supposed to be the most powerful being in the Warcraft world, right?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    I can think of nothing worse than every boss being a world boss.

I'd never get a chance to kill any of them.

Half of the bosses, nobody would for years. That's the damn point. There should be some things in the world more powerful than Joe Adventurer and his 39 drinking buddies.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I have my doubts on this as well. Sure, Blizz pulled the Dranaei out of their asses, but I think everyone knew that Blood Elves would be coming down the pipe eventually. Other than Naga, Worgen, and maybe another Troll subrace, I can't really see any other viable existing races that could be used as player races.

Pandaren!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm curious as to what the new classes, if any, would be.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Although on Dark Iron, with all the PAA folks, there is a good chance of killing Arthas in a some crazy 900 man raid. I'm just thinking of the Undercity story story I saw a while back.

The level cap should not be raised... period. I'm just back into the game and am leveling a prot pally. I have just reached 40 and it is starting to bog down a bit, so much so that I have already started a mage alt to relieve the boredom that is the post-30 grind. I want to have more fun post-30 / post-40! Waiting to get to 60/70 in order to really get into the game is just crazy.

Anyway, I like the idea of Northrend, though a naval themed expansion would have been cool as well. Northrend doesn't come as a great surpirse though.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have my doubts on this as well. Sure, Blizz pulled the Dranaei out of their asses, but I think everyone knew that Blood Elves would be coming down the pipe eventually. Other than Naga, Worgen, and maybe another Troll subrace, I can't really see any other viable existing races that could be used as player races.

Pandaren!

If they make Nerubians a playable race, I'll resubscribe just to play one.

I hope the level designers give the Nerubian ruins the respect that they deserve. The tunnels should be a full zone (maybe handled like the tram) that extends all the way under the mountains, not just an instance.

jothki on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Pandaren!

Pandaren are neutral. Their belief system doesn't really lend itself to joining either faction, or fighting amongst themselves - though they're supposedly powerful warriors, they believe in peace. If Pandaren are added to the game, it probably won't be as a playable race.

Tuskarr could be a possible race, but again, they're a simple people who wouldn't really get involved in a war, unless it threatened their homeland. We would probably ally with them in Northrend, but I doubt they'd join the horde or alliance.

There probably won't be any new races.

I think it'd be interesting if they added a non-instanced dungeon. It could mostly be comprised of trash and a few 5 man bosses with an hour respawn or so that dropped really good loot, as well as 10 man bosses that only spawn once a day and 25 man bosses that only spawn once a week. None of the items they drop should be required, however, there should be a reputation attached to give a bonus for constantly killing trash, and there would have to be an AA like system for max level players so that they can continue to progress while camping. It could work.
    jothki wrote: »
    I hope the level designers give the Nerubian ruins the respect that they deserve. The tunnels should be a full zone (maybe handled like the tram) that extends all the way under the mountains, not just an instance.

Truth. Azjol Nerub should be designed like an outdoor zone, despite being a huge city underground.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd say they don't even really need new content. Just doubling the experience gains in every Azeroth zone but the Burning Crusade starters, EPL, Silithus, and Winterspring would be more than enough to make 20-58 something other than an awful drudge.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Pandaren!

If they make Nerubians a playable race, I'll resubscribe just to play one.

What's a Nerubian?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm just going to go ahead and quote some rumor stuff from another forum. Most of it is roughly translated from German, so excuse the read.
    I don't know if anyone else has been following the expansion rumor mill, but there's been a few things that have popped up since yesterday which seem to lend some legitimacy to a few things. Everything I've read has been posted at MMO-Champion, but a lot of this stuff has been reported elsewhere too.

First, the name of the expansion will supposedly be World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. The primary source for the name is a bit on the German version of the ESRB (and has since been pulled, but not before being screenshot everywhere).

wotlkrating.jpg

This would likely put the expansion in Northrend, as that's where Arthas currently calls home.

Another bit came this morning, but I don't read German. If Babelfish is to be believed, this information was available briefly on the European WoW site:

Babelfish wrote:
    WoW Szene.de presents you most important contents of the new Addons of Blizzard - World OF Warcraft: Wrath OF the Lich King. These information was briefly observable on a lower surface of the official European Union WoW Website last night, and meanwhile opposite us also by other sources was confirmed, among other things the official FAQ to WotLK. Which expects us thus in the expansion:

* It goes to Northrend! With level 80 and new abilities! If certain points are fulfilled, one can provide oneself a new character. The Death Knight. This starts directly in the High level range.
    * In the PvP finally those come siege weapons and it announced already for a long time destroyable buildings will give plus a new Battleground.
    * The Deathknight will be a kind Damage Dealer and simultaneous tank with new abilities been not yet there. Play bar of alliance and horde/hurdle, but it will probably have only certain races the possibility of providing itself a Death Knight. It is the first hero class and further it in the following Addons will probably only give.

Further summaries of the FAQs: * To arrange new possibilities its character.
    * One will fight against the Lich King Arthas!
    * From 70 to 80 the same period will take as from 60 to 70.
    * Howling fjord the first area will be as one arrives. Afterwards areas follow such as Grizzly Hills and Dragonblight.
    * The first Dungeon will be Utgarde Keep. Encroachable with level 70 and too fifth. 25er Dungeon will give it further, exactly the same to Heroic instances!
    * New occupation: Inscription - for the durable reinforcement of sayings and abilities
    * It will give again a Cinematic Intro.
    * Northrend will be approx. as large as the Outlands.

Further contents, as Screenshots could not become secured unfortunately any longer, since the side was immediately again off-line. The complete FAQ with further information on English finds it under reads on!

The entire FAQ is:

Quote:
    What are the features of the new expansion?

Wrath of the Lich King builds on the rich foundation established in World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade, providing a wealth of new content for players to explore. The harsh, forbidding continent of Northrend, home of the Lich King and his undead minions, will be uncovered on the world map, and to contend with the new challenges found there, players will be able to advance to level 80, acquiring potent new abilities and talents along the way.

In addition, Wrath of the Lich King will introduce the death knight hero class to World of Warcraft. Once certain criteria are met, players will be able to create a new death knight character, which will start at a high level. Furthermore, player-vs.-player battles will reach a new level of intensity with the addition of siege weapons and destructible buildings, not to mention a new battleground. There will also be an abundance of new quests, dungeons, monsters, items, and recipes -- as well as a new profession, inscription -- for players to try out. The expansion will include some additional character-customization options for players as well. We'll be going into more detail on all of these features in the months ahead.

How will the death knight class fit into the game?

The death knight combines martial prowess with dark, necromantic energies. Players might be familiar with the death knight from previously released Warcraft games -- most recently, in the campaigns for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and the Frozen Throne expansion, the former paladin Arthas became a death knight and wreaked havoc across Azeroth and Northrend before fusing with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King. The death knight is the first hero class in World of Warcraft; once certain criteria are met, players will unlock the ability to create a new death knight character, which will begin play at a high experience level. We're currently exploring various options for how the death knight will play and the types of abilities at its disposal, and we'll be revealing more information about this new class as we get further along in development.

Will the death knight have any abilities from previously released Warcraft games?

The way we portrayed death knights in past Warcraft games is certainly a source of inspiration, but we are still determining how best to capture that feel within the mechanics of World of Warcraft, and haven't made any final determinations on specific abilities.

What role will the death knight play in groups and raids?

In general terms, the death knight can be considered a type of class that combines damage dealing and tanking, but naturally it will have an array of unique abilities as well.

What races will be allowed to play death knights?

We haven't yet made a final determination about which races can be death knights. However, the class will be available to both the Alliance and the Horde.

Will there be additional hero classes in the future?

Yes, we do intend to add more hero classes in the future, but right now our focus is on the current expansion.

What is the story background of the expansion?

Players last visited Northrend in the Warcraft III expansion, when Arthas Menethil fused with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King, one of the most powerful entities in the Warcraft universe. He now broods atop the Frozen Throne, deep in Icecrown Citadel, clutching the rune blade Frostmourne and marshaling the undead armies of the Scourge. In Wrath of the Lich King, the greatest champions of the Alliance and the Horde will do battle with the Scourge amid Northrend's howling winds and fields of jagged ice, and ultimately face the Lich King himself.

Will players actually get to encounter Arthas himself?

Players will be skirmishing with the minions of Arthas from the moment they set foot on Northrend. He will be a constant presence as players progress through the expansion content -- which will culminate in a showdown with the dread Lich King himself.

Can you discuss some of the new talents and abilities that will be available from level 70 to level 80?

As with character advancement up to level 70, players will gain access to an array of potent and exciting new abilities and talents as they make their way from level 70 to level 80. However, it's still too early to get into specifics on these.

How long will it take to advance from level 70 to level 80?

We were pleased with the pacing from level 60 to level 70 in The Burning Crusade, and we intend to take a similar approach to pacing character advancement in Wrath of the Lich King. However, the specific amount of time that it will take players to reach level 80 will vary widely based on play style.

What can you reveal about Northrend?

The first area of Northrend we're showcasing is the Howling Fjord, a region of grasslands overlooking massive cliffs at the southeastern edge of the continent. This, along with the Borean Tundra, is the front line of the war against Arthas, and players will come face to face with his minions as soon as they set foot on Northrend. Eventually, as players progress further, they will explore the Grizzly Hills, Dragonblight, and more. We'll be showing off some of these new areas in the months ahead.

What's the level requirement to enter Northrend?

Players of any level who have purchased the expansion can visit Northrend. However, all of the content is designed for players level 68 and up.

How many new dungeons will be in the expansion?

The first dungeon players will enter is Utgarde Keep, which is intended for five players around level 70. Utgarde is inhabited by the Vrykul, a Viking-like race bent on proving their strength to the Lich King, who will raise the most worthy of their warriors to serve him beyond the grave. We intend to provide a variety of dungeons comparable to that in The Burning Crusade and will be revealing more details about some of these in the months ahead.

Do you plan to continue with the 25-player model for raids?

Yes, we've been pleased with the tactics, intensity, and variety of the 25-player raid model, and plan to continue with it.

In what ways will players be able to further customize their characters in the expansion?

In addition to the numerous new character-customization options that will be available with all of the new weapons and armor added by the expansion, we'll be offering some fun ways to alter both existing and new characters with regard to dances and hairstyles, but we're not ready to go into more detail just yet.

What can you reveal about the new profession coming with the expansion?

Inscription allows the player to permanently enhance their spells and abilities and to create mysterious items of power to use, trade, and sell.

What can players expect with regard to player-vs.-player combat in the expansion?

Players will be able to take control of siege weapons and use them to destroy opposing buildings, adding a new layer of complexity to PvP battles. Naturally, we'll be providing some fun places to put these new tools to good use, and we'll be revealing more information about them in the months ahead, in addition to the new battleground content being added.

Can you give a sneak peek at the new recipes and items in the expansion?

There will be hundreds of new recipes and thousands of new items available, but we're not ready to discuss specific examples just yet.

Will there be any graphical enhancements?

There will be hundreds of new recipes and thousands of new items available, but we're not ready to discuss specific examples just yet.

How many zones will be in the expansion?

Northrend will be roughly equivalent to Outland in terms of size and scope.

Will there be any new cinematic scenes?

Yes, our cinematics department is hard at work preparing a new intro movie for the expansion.

Release/Availability

Do you need to own the expansion to play with friends who have it?

There will be many aspects of the expansion that will be available to all players. However, in order to experience certain content, such as Northrend, or be able to play as a death knight, players must purchase the expansion.

Will there be an open beta test of the expansion?

We have not yet determined whether the expansion will require an open beta test. If we do decide to conduct a beta test, details will be posted on the official World of Warcraft website once we've gotten further along in the development process.

When will the expansion be released? How much will it cost?

We have not yet announced a release date for the expansion set. However, we expect to announce further details, including the release date and price, on our community website in the months ahead. Please stay tuned to [link] for more information.

Will there be a collector's edition?

We have not yet made any determination about whether there will be a collector's edition of Wrath of the Lich King. We'll be announcing details such as this closer to release.

Will a Mac version be available simultaneously with the PC version?

Yes. As with all of our games, Wrath of the Lich King will be compatible with and optimized for both the Windows and Macintosh platforms.

What are the system requirements?

We'll continue to ensure that the game is playable on a wide range of hardware. However, we have not made a final determination on the system requirements as yet.

Will the expansion be released globally at the same time?

We recognize that players throughout the world will be eager to experience all of the new content being added with Wrath of the Lich King, and we will make every effort to release the expansion simultaneously worldwide. However, there's always the possibility that unforeseen circumstances could delay the launch in any given region. We'll share the launch timing with players in each region as soon as the plans have been finalized.

What is the ESRB rating for the expansion?

The expansion has not yet been rated by the ESRB. However, we anticipate that it will receive the same rating that the original World of Warcraft received -- "Teen."

Of course none of this is officially confirmed, but we should know on Friday when they make the announcement at Blizzcon.

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shouldn't this topic says "Wow expansion information leaked"?

Unless there's something in there about someone having an actual copy of the expansion that i missed.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, I wouldn't mind so much if they raised the level cap to 80 if they made all the dungeons scale to your level, likely as an extension of the Heroic difficulty instances, but however they do it as long as the content is still doable at 80 I'd be fine. At which point they could add new mid-level instances because you could still do them for good loot at 80.

I would love to see a level 80 version of Zul'Farrak so I could do that temple fight and have it be hard again.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So the worst possible thing I could think of happened.

So the story now goes:

'The Lich King became the most powerful entity on Azeroth!

...and then sat on his throne for 6 years doing nothing until a raid of horde/alliance came to the palace and killed him'

Yeah, way to make good use of a great enemy Blizzard. I'd be outraged if I hadn't already been pushed to the point of not giving a shit by the whole Draenei fiasco.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So, yet another expansion catering to the high level players.
    That's reasonable. Rework the fucking grind.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, but how long have people been begging for instances to scale? They've said before they have no interest in doing that.

But I still dream of Heroic Deadmines...

LFG VC

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.