Options

Gaming Tattoos

123457»

• Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    Sami wrote: »
    Sab, what are you going to think of Full Metal Alchemist in 20 years?

Well it is from FMA, but I really like the symbol and the meaning behind it, or at least what it means to me. I wanted this for quite a few years already. Plus what's wrong with it, it seems like I am the only one that is getting berated in this thread for wanting a somewhat geeky tattoo.

I was mostly kidding when I said I'd mock you incessantly.

Mostly.

Anyways, a local tattoo shop that I like had this to say about tats
    Consider who you will be in 20 years, consider who you are now -- the tattoo that all of your friends have may not be the right one for you. Don't be afraid to step away from the typical tattoo imagery. Consider the use of metaphor and subtle meaning -- don't limit or disservice yourself by sticking with what's been done or said with tattooing in the past. Also consider what a tattoo means to you, don't get something just because it's wild and crazy and outlandish, or will shock your family. Be dignified in your decisions and consider the rich history behind tattooing and Fine Art in general. Educate yourself and know your motivations. If a Tazmanian Devil is what will enrich your life, and you have made this decision intelligently, then by all means that's the tattoo for you. Be open to tattooists suggestions. They know more than you think. (This diatribe brought to you by Dan.)

So if a transmutation circle will enrich your life and you've made the decision intelligently- go for it.

Sami on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well I'm putting it on my back and probably will be hiding it from my family for the first lil while and not many people will see it unless my shirt will be off for some reason (:winky:) so it's mainly just for me. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    Well I'm putting it on my back and probably will be hiding it from my family for the first lil while and not many people will see it unless my shirt will be off for some reason (:winky:) so it's mainly just for me. :P

I say get it and rock it. Just because most people today don't have any emotional or mental attachment to anything for more than a month doesn't mean you fall into that category. People who berate you and assure you you won't like it in 20 years are typically just jaded types who try to reinvent themselves every summer in a vain attempt to be more popular or ahead of the curve, and can't stand to look at a picture of themselves that's more than two years old. Jesus, i still like the same stuff i did when i was like four (well, plus booze titties and cigarettes), and i'm 27 now. If you really, truly like who you are right now, then a Fullmetal Alchemist tattoo will not be regrettable in 20 years, even if you don't still watch the show.
    Besides, the entire series is more or less in the can, right? It's not like it's going to suddenly get all stupid, like all the people with Korn and Limp Bizkit tattoos, ya know?

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    if improv had a universal symbol I would probably rock that.

And seriously people the 'dur dur dur what do you think it'll be like in many years' is frankly a tired argument. It's like asking someone who's thinking about getting a car 'did you consider that you'll have to pay money and put gasoline in it?'

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would advise anyone against hand/face/neck tattoos. They are distracting, and most employers will consider them unprofessional.

I'm in the freaking Navy, and I have seen heavily tatt'ed sailors openly discriminated against, despite having waivers for their tattoos. If you think the civilian world will be more understanding, you are deluding yourself.

That said, you can safely get tasteful tattoos on your forearms without having to worry too much, and you can really get whatever the hell you want tattooed on your chest, back, legs and upper arms. No one will ever see these tattoos in a work environment (assuming you don't become a lifeguard or a stripper) and that's really what matters.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I guess you could get a hand tattoo, if you plan on working somewhere where you dress so nice all the time to the point that wearing dress gloves wouldn't make you look TOO insane.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not to mention, I hear they're doing wonders with tattoo removal these days.

I can only imagine what the technology will be like 10 years or so down the line.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Get what you want, fuck the douchebags who just come in here to rag on you.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    blackspiraldancer23idri0.gif is what I plan to eventually get on the back of my shoulder.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

The "Infinity" sign?

I've done some improv in my past as well, and aside from the stereotypical "Laughing/Crying Masks", that'd be my next thought. It's simple, perhaps too simple, but seems to sum up my thoughts on the art.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not a gaming tattoo, but I think I want to get this eventually, probably on my upper arm, below the bicep:

cahuy9.jpg

(without the white background, obviously)

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote: »

The "Infinity" sign?

I've done some improv in my past as well, and aside from the stereotypical "Laughing/Crying Masks", that'd be my next thought. It's simple, perhaps too simple, but seems to sum up my thoughts on the art.

Right, but that's more a theater fag sort of thing and I'm an improv fag.

Also... flame why the fuck didn't I think of a calvin and hobbes tat? I will always love calvin and hobbes, always.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also... flame why the fuck didn't I think of a calvin and hobbes tat? I will always love calvin and hobbes, always.

Yeah Calvin and Hobbes has pretty much defined my life since I was 14, it's just hard to choose one singular image to represent the strip.

I was thinking of this one maybe instead of the "Let's go exploring!" one, but it might be too elaborate:

Calvin_hobbes_nature.jpg

especially since it seems like someone already took my first idea:
    bmegl230025.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The "Infinity" sign?

You should get a tattoo of Michael Scott then. ;)

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

The "Infinity" sign?

I guess that'd make me... err... a Lighting Fag who dabbled in Improv and a little acting... twat?

Too far on the abuse? Not enough?

Also, Calvin & Hobbes will forever get a :^: from me. I'm on the second volume of the Complete Calvin & Hobbes as we speak, and there are just too many good moments compressed in those (admittedly huge) books.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow that C+H tat is awesome.

Just cause someone did it doesn't mean you can't copy :P It's not like you'll ever run into them or something. Plus, now you know it can be done well and look great.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw a hardcover volume book for C&H for 15 bucks at a bookstore... should I go back and get it? :P

I have to say the sled tattoo looks awesome.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    NanaNana Fuzzy Little Yeti Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been considering getting:

Warrior-ff1-nes.png and Blackmage-ff1-nes.png (fighter would be facing the other way, so they would be looking at each other.)

done on my lower back for the past 3 years.

Nana on
    3DS Friend Code: 3823-8688-4581
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ivalice-Alliance-logo.jpg

I'd consider getting this image, sans the Ivalice Alliance text.

Or some sort of clever mashup of the heartless/nobody symbols. Or maybe an old school looking tatoo of a pair of cards, with the nobody symbol inserted for spades and the heartless symbol for hearts.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ivalice-Alliance-logo.jpg

I'd consider getting this image, sans the Ivalice Alliance text.

Or some sort of clever mashup of the heartless/nobody symbols. Or maybe an old school looking tatoo of a pair of cards, with the nobody symbol inserted for spades and the heartless symbol for hearts.

What... what am I missing here? I'm counting 13 signs.

Edit: Oh, the pommel must be Serpentarius.
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    whilst I think that other guy was probably just being lame about the whole thing generally, I do have my doubts as to whether SOTC is the kind of game you will be whistfully thinking about in 8 years time.

Well, it's been 10 years so far. Hell, if Super Metroid had any decent imagery, I'd be considering that.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    aecheanaechean Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want to get a tattoo of L and R buttons ( a la SNES style) on my shoulders....

Get it? Shoulder buttons?

I'm pretty close to just going ahead and doing it too

aechean on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wulf wrote: »
    blackspiraldancer23idri0.gif is what I plan to eventually get on the back of my shoulder.

As long as you can put up with people like me screaming "Wyrm Scum!" every time we see it...

Comahawk on
  • Options
    TildyTildy Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    You are going to regret that so hard.

Also you should probably think of a lie ahead of time when girls ask what your tattoo is of.
    Or, you know, maybe he spends his time around better girls than that.

Tildy on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    blackspiraldancer23idri0.gif
    is what I plan to eventually get on the back of my shoulder.

As long as you can put up with people like me screaming "Wyrm Scum!" every time we see it...
    Sure can... but how fast can you run?:lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tildy wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    You are going to regret that so hard.

Also you should probably think of a lie ahead of time when girls ask what your tattoo is of.
    Or, you know, maybe he spends his time around better girls than that.

My brother got me a Legacy of Kain action figure for Christmas once, and I have it sitting out in my room. My current (but not then) girlfriend pointed to it, asked what it it was, and said, "You sure you want that out? Some people, girls especially, might look at it and think poorly of you."

I told her, "It was a gift from my brother, so that alone means it means a lot to me. What do you think of it?"

"Oh, I'm fine with it, personally."

"Well, then, as long as someone I want to be as my girlfriend is as intelligent as you, I'll be okay." :P

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    aechean wrote: »
    I want to get a tattoo of L and R buttons ( a la SNES style) on my shoulders....

Get it? Shoulder buttons?

I'm pretty close to just going ahead and doing it too

That's pretty awesome and terrible at the same time.

Medopine on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not game related but Hugin and Munin make pretty awesome shoulder tattoos.

JPants on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JPants wrote: »
    Gotta go whole hog and pull out your eye, though.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JPants wrote: »

I'm getting those actually, but on my shoulder blades. I can't believe some one else thought of it.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Now here's a manly tattoo.

princesspeachtat.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haha, if any of you watched G Gundam, you remember the King of Hearts [glowing magical symbol that was never explained] on the back of Domon's hand? With the heart and crown and crossed swords? I saw a guy in the anime section of Suncoast with that exact thing. Kinda cool... but kinda weird too.

Damn you, I want this now.

Shortening the ten year rule to four years, starting...

--now.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    SNES wrote: »
    Haha, if any of you watched G Gundam, you remember the King of Hearts [glowing magical symbol that was never explained] on the back of Domon's hand? With the heart and crown and crossed swords? I saw a guy in the anime section of Suncoast with that exact thing. Kinda cool... but kinda weird too.

Damn you, I want this now.

Shortening the ten year rule to four years, starting...

--now.

I've always been a fan of the five-year rule myself.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I could probably get away with one year for a calvin and hobbes tat.

I've loved that since I was able to read.

Casual Eddy on