As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPGs/SRPG/Japanese games in 2008 - Who's getting what?

• Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Street Price of Alter Code F is holding at $20 new. My guess offhand is that at least one out of every 5 gamestops has a copy.

Maybe but only 1 in a 50 mile radius of me had one...

Same with the 3rd Shadow Hearts. The original is easier to find than the 3rd for some reason...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    @Joule: Is wasn't there when KOF was getting pre-orders so it is reasonable to assume that it was pushed back. The 11th should be the date its coming out on. Is Ikki Kai coming to NA shores?

Hmmm. Well they were supposed to release together oh well.

Yeah it's due to hit sometime Q1 of 2008 with a Wii and Ps2 ver. I'm hoping it'll be as fun as the rest of the series before it. The Ps2 ver however has been retitled as Heavenly Guardian and has changed for a not as good boxart. http://www.ufointeractivegames.com/details.asp?k=2400&p=ps2

Joule on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Shadow Hearts was reprinted at least twice. Once as a preorder bonus for the 2nd game, and again for the 3rd game. They REALLY wanted you to play that first game.

I think the first one might be slightly easier to find that the 3rd, but only marginally. Gamestop's website makes it look like roughly 1 out of 5 or 6 stores for both.

The original might be harder to find in Texas because I've bought nearly every copy I could find in the state :3

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Shadow Hearts was reprinted at least twice. Once as a preorder bonus for the 2nd game, and again for the 3rd game. They REALLY wanted you to play that first game.

I think the first one might be slightly easier to find that the 3rd, but only marginally. Gamestop's website makes it look like roughly 1 out of 5 or 6 stores for both.

The original might be harder to find in Texas because I've bought nearly every copy I could find in the state :3

Glad I got mine when I did...

Renzo on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd have gotten the first Harvest Moon DS if not for the bugs that are supposed to plague it. Hopefully the second will be better in that respect.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd have gotten the first Harvest Moon DS if not for the bugs that are supposed to plague it. Hopefully the second will be better in that respect.

There's fixed versions out now. Shop for it at Gamestop since they take the game out to display the case. Check the back of the card for this number: ABCEN1J22. If it has that, it's mostly fixed. There's still some glitches but it's still pretty fun.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Street Price of Alter Code F is holding at $20 new. My guess offhand is that at least one out of every 5 gamestops has a copy.

Same with the 3rd Shadow Hearts. The original is easier to find than the 3rd for some reason...

IIRC Wild ARMS alter code: F and Shadow Hearts: From the New World were XSEED's first two North American releases -- maybe they just didn't press that many.

Houk, are we getting Ar tonelico 2? :D

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do Nintendo made games not count as Japanese anymore? 'Cause I am just wonder where Smash Bros fucking Brawl is, probably the best Japanese made game until the Smash Bros after that comes out.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cjeris wrote: »
    Tw4win wrote: »

IIRC Wild ARMS alter code: F and Shadow Hearts: From the New World were XSEED's first two North American releases -- maybe they just didn't press that many.

They didn't do Alter Code: F, they did Wild ARMs 4

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Do Nintendo made games not count as Japanese anymore? 'Cause I am just wonder where Smash Bros fucking Brawl is, probably the best Japanese made game until the Smash Bros after that comes out.

Well, because I don't play it. If you wanna talk about go ahead, this is the Japanese gaming thread.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Well, because I don't play it. If you wanna talk about go ahead, this is the Japanese gaming thread.

Starfox not furry enough for you?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Starfox not furry enough for you?

No, because it isn't you, you loveable Furry Evander you. Come here and give me a hug!

Anyway, Preorders were made yesterday on all except Advance wars: Days of Ruin and Wild Arms XF. I'll go back next week and check.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll probably be getting Crisis Core, and I'm sure to be playing Ring of Fates.

I've got to put more thought into Lost Oddessy, since I have a console backlog that I know I won't be done with before it comes out, but I've been considering it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Come here and give me a hug!

I knew you'd come to your senses one of these days.

Also, I am ALL for people petitioning Nintendo to add me as a playable character in Brawl.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Oh you loveable Evander. Look at that Fur on you. Oh My, You're so Furry!

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here's the million dollar question though, do we talk about Sega games in this thread? I mean, they were basically an American company to begin with, so I don't know.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A portable version of Phantasy Star Universe has been announced for the PSP. They really are desperately trying to copy Monster Hunter. Same limitations too; no online, ad hoc only. I expect it'll be able to go online in the same way Monster Hunter Freedom is tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Here's the million dollar question though, do we talk about Sega games in this thread? I mean, they were basically an American company to begin with, so I don't know.

Hmm, that does pose a question. Should we talk about Japanese games that Sega publishes? Is there an actual development team for Sega located in Japan?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Oh you loveable Evander. Look at that Fur on you. Oh My, You're so Furry!

Are you looking at the picture of me in my underware right now?

Because I am.

Evander on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    *shrug*

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    *shrug*

God, hopefully never. That game was just loathsome. Innuendo innuendo innuendo.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    A portable version of Phantasy Star Universe has been announced for the PSP. They really are desperately trying to copy Monster Hunter. Same limitations too; no online, ad hoc only. I expect it'll be able to go online in the same way Monster Hunter Freedom is tho.

Yep. PSP on the PSP, which already has a better PSO style game on it, MHF.

It still amazes me how few PSP titles are actually online and how many really quality DS titles are.

I don't think it is going to do so well. Hopefully they'll consider remaking PSO for the DS.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    *shrug*

Nah, I don't think it was that bad, in fact we should get Ar Tonelico 2. I like Innuendo.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It still amazes me how few PSP titles are actually online and how many really quality DS titles are.

I don't think it is going to do so well. Hopefully they'll consider remaking PSO for the DS.

Didn't they come out with Phantasy Star Online: Epsiode I & II and Phantasy Star Online III: C.A.R.D Revolution for the gamecube? I don't remember but I don't think it did well.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Didn't they come out with Phantasy Star Online: Epsiode I & II and Phantasy Star Online III: C.A.R.D Revolution for the gamecube? I don't remember but I don't think it did well.

I can safely say that PSO:E1+2 is the best selling online game for the GCN, by far. C.A.R.D. Revolution was quite good though.

Anyways the DS is capable of almost Dreamcast level graphics, so I think it could handle a PSO revival.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Hmm, that does pose a question. Should we talk about Japanese games that Sega publishes? Is there an actual development team for Sega located in Japan?

Yes and yes. While Sega does have some teams based in the US and Europe (Sonic Team US and Creative Assembly among a couple of others), most of their studios are still in Japan (AM1, AM2, AM3, Sonic Team Japan, etc).

As for PSP on the PSP, I think it's a pretty blatant attempt from Sega to try and cash in on Monster Hunter's popularity in Japan. I highly doubt it's going to be anywhere near as popular though.

Btw, what's with people around here? In the last couple of days I've heard people saying it shouldn't be hard to port PS3/360 games to the Wii (just got to take a couple of shaders out, as if that's all the Wii's lacking :lol: ) and now I hear someone saying the DS can push almost Dreamcast-calibre graphics. Sorry but neither are correct.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yes and yes. While Sega does have some teams based in the US and Europe (Sonic Team US and Creative Assembly among a couple of others), most of their studios are still in Japan (AM1, AM2, AM3, Sonic Team Japan, etc).

As for PSP on the PSP, I think it's a pretty blatant attempt from Sega to try and cash in on Monster Hunter's popularity in Japan. I highly doubt it's going to be anywhere near as popular though.

Btw, what's with people around here? In the last couple of days I've heard people saying it shouldn't be hard to port PS3/360 games to the Wii (just got to take a couple of shaders out, as if that's all the Wii's lacking :lol: ) and now I hear someone saying the DS can push almost Dreamcast-calibre graphics. Sorry but neither are correct.

Go find some Tales of Innocence trailers and be amazed. If you squint it looks like early Dreamcast.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Go find some Tales of Innocence trailers and be amazed. If you squint it looks like early Dreamcast.

Well congratulations to Namco for making their low-budget RPG look good on the DS (which is funny since the mega budget games from Square Enix look like early PS1 games) but that doesn't mean the DS has the processing power to take a DC game. They may as well build a new game for the DS from scratch.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is being released today. Anybody know if they could get a hold of a copy? I know here in Canada, its going to be a week or so before they get it.

Here to me hoping for a Persona and SMT release on the PSP next year.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is being released today. Anybody know if they could get a hold of a copy? I know here in Canada, its going to be a week or so before they get it.

Here to me hoping for a Persona and SMT release on the PSP next year.

I really wish my PS2 didn't look like complete ass on my tv. I want this and King of Fighters XI so bad. I will probably buy them both on the hopes that someday I can play them on a PS3 with back compat.

corin7 on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ]Anyways the DS is capable of almost Dreamcast level graphics, so I think it could handle a PSO revival.

Wait... what? Tales of Innocence and FFIV are the 3D showcases of the system as of now, and neither can even dream of touching anything that the Dreamcast cooked up.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    *shrug*

It had a fun battle system, and good music. There's room for improvement, and if the sequel provides it, I'm all for it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

What? Where the heck do you get your information from? They both did incredibly well. Well, PSOIII not so much.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Disgaea 3 Trailer

It's looking great I'd say.

Joule on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Joule wrote: »
    Disgaea 3 Trailer

It's looking great I'd say.

Yep, I'm gonna be masturbating all over my PS3 when this comes out.

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Very flashy, but it looks like the added game mechanics are going to be mayhem city.

I wouldn't mind knowing more about the story.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So it looks like Star Ocean 4 will be multiplatform (360/PS3) and episodic (3 episodes long): http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=43855

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blue Dragon 2 announced!
    http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=16369
    Microsoft Corp.'s Japan unit aims to double the number of game titles for the Xbox 360 console in Japan to 500 by the end of 2008, a senior official said in a recent interview with Jiji Press.

New titles may include a sequel to the blockbuster Blue Dragon, said Takashi Sensui, executive officer and chief of the home and entertainment division of Tokyo-based Microsoft Co.

Can't wait, Blue Dragon was great, I enjoyed it oh so much and I hope they will put in some nice new touches into the sequel!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Blue Dragon 2 announced!
    http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=16369
    Microsoft Corp.'s Japan unit aims to double the number of game titles for the Xbox 360 console in Japan to 500 by the end of 2008, a senior official said in a recent interview with Jiji Press.

New titles may include a sequel to the blockbuster Blue Dragon, said Takashi Sensui, executive officer and chief of the home and entertainment division of Tokyo-based Microsoft Co.

Can't wait, Blue Dragon was great, I enjoyed it oh so much and I hope they will put in some nice new touches into the sequel!

I liked everything about blue dragon except the american voice-overs and, lets see, the entire story. the story reads like it was written by my dog.

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So it looks like Star Ocean 4 will be multiplatform (360/PS3) and episodic (3 episodes long): http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=43855

That was debunked. Like 15 times. I can't believe how many times it had to be done for people to believe it.

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;