As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pregame: Scion Game Starting this Wednesday: 2 Slots Open and a lot of evil to fight.

RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
Hello guys. If you remember who I am, its good to see you. I wanted to guage interest on an idea of mine. I am interested in STing a SCION game. It will be held over IM, whether AIM, or IRM or some other system is still up for grabs. (I've played over IM before, but don't have any preferences).

The story is starting out at hero level and eventually rising all the way to demigod and beyond (if WW ever releases the next book).

Quest to recover something important for Poseidon format. Titan spawn and globe-hopping with some non-quest related adventures thrown in. Titans will have a Lovecraft feel to them. Probably lead up to some Scion v Titan action.

Looking for a band of six, not necessarily all different pantheons. Just enough people to cover different aspects of the adventure.

Any interest in this?

Wednesdays and Saturdays are my days off.

Rchanen on

• Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh gof yes

I've been wanting to make a Scion of Dionysus for a long time now.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's one.

Anybody want to go Egyptian?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never played a WW game. This sounds interesting, especially Egyptian. Unfortunately I don't have any books. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Someone make a scion of the aztec poop goddess.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been interested in this since I got ahold of this book. And read Princess of Wands. I should get back into the swing of things here, anyways.

I just got a new job, though, so my days off vary wildly. Hopefully that wouldn't cause too many troubles. Although, since holidays are coming up...I'm sure lots of people are going to be busy with related stuff.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At this point I'm mostly commited to the Changeling game being hosted by Terminal Stupidity, but I don't know if that one's going to get off the ground.

If his game doesn't garner any interest, Scion was the other most interesting property of WW's that caught my eye when I delved into WW's world.

I will watch this thread closely and let you know if I can commit!

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, Im interested in this pending a few questions that I asked Rchannen in a PM.

Which he needs to check.

Come on Rchannen.

Check them PMs!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Since I work retail, the game will probably start in the new year. I need that much time to plan the first few adventures, as well as to help people with Character Creation. I still haven't decided between AIM and IRC, and I had better pick up a dice roller as well.

I apparently have two willing to plays and a couple maybe plays. PM me if you are in.

Games will definately be held on a regular schedule, those not attending will have their characters controlled by those who do. ST (me) will not have a character in the party (I hate that, really hate it), and I will not control characters of players that don't show up, your fellow PC's will.

Also game time will probably stretch 2-3 hours everytime, maybe 4 if we are on a roll.

Please make combat survivable characters. 2 dots in Epic-Dexterity or 2 in Epic-Stamina (easily obtained during CC where every dot costs the same) can go a long way towards you not dieing horribly.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I made a character and sent it to you. I think it might not have made too much sense, I'm a bit tired. Up too late. I'll try to post it here sometime when I'm more awake.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    There any chance that theres a free resource like the d20srd site for this system?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nothing WW makes is OGL.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Infidel wrote: »
    I've never played a WW game. This sounds interesting, especially Egyptian. Unfortunately I don't have any books. :D

There's only two scion books (Hero and Demigod) out right now, and currently the plan is only to release one more, ever (God). To start, it's likely you'll only need the first book.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

There's only two scion books (Hero and Demigod) out right now, and currently the plan is only to release one more, ever (God). To start, it's likely you'll only need the first book.

Do you not need the core WoD book?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't think it's part of the New WoD. It stands alone, like Exalted. I guess.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Nope, it's a standalone game and has no relation to the World of Darkness, other than being about supernatural stuff in modern times.

In fact, system-wise, Scion is closer to Exalted than the new WoD. (Having been based upon Exalted version of the storyteller system)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you have a day/schedule in mind for this? It sounds entertaining, and I've been looking for another geek book to burden my shelves with, but I've got a pretty rigid work schedule so if you're running when I'm not available I'll hold off on purchasing the book and hope you post transcripts of your game somewhere where I can read them when I should be working.

see317 on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Nope, it's a standalone game and has no relation to the World of Darkness, other than being about supernatural stuff in modern times.

In fact, system-wise, Scion is closer to Exalted than the new WoD. (Having been based upon Exalted version of the storyteller system)

Game system is extremely simple. Excessively moreso than D&D. d20 is simple, sure, but all the conditional rules tend to muck things up. anything from White Wolf tends to be a simple "roll this natural talent plus this trained skill and the more dice that come up above your target number, the better you did." For Scion, new WoD, and Exalted, Target Number is 7, and the Difficulty is the number of dice you need to come up 7 or higher to succeed.

Simple, no?

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Game system is extremely simple. Excessively moreso than D&D. d20 is simple, sure, but all the conditional rules tend to muck things up. anything from White Wolf tends to be a simple "roll this natural talent plus this trained skill and the more dice that come up above your target number, the better you did." For Scion, new WoD, and Exalted, Target Number is 7, and the Difficulty is the number of dice you need to come up 7 or higher to succeed.

Simple, no?

New WoD is 8, not seven. Just a FYI.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Really? *blink* I thought my core book had said 7. Ah well. Scion and Exalted, at least, are 7.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Probably because the characters in NWoD are just normal humans. So it'd be harder for them to succeed.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So I hope black friday weekend didn't kill Rchannen.

Anyway, I made a Navy SEAL scion of Tlaloc that Ill send to Rchannen later.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dammit. Two N's, Two N's. :P

And yes, Black Friday nearly killed me.

I will be using quotes to answer questions, so that people can see what answers what.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    Do you have a day/schedule in mind for this? It sounds entertaining, and I've been looking for another geek book to burden my shelves with, but I've got a pretty rigid work schedule so if you're running when I'm not available I'll hold off on purchasing the book and hope you post transcripts of your game somewhere where I can read them when I should be working.

Well I am trying to be flexible about this, so player consensus may pick the final time. The best times for me are Tuesday, after 6 PM CST, all the way through Wednesday, 10 PM CST, and Friday through Saturday, same times. I could easily run games in those time periods. If am bunch of people have Saturday off, that would obviously make things easier.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I don't think it's part of the New WoD. It stands alone, like Exalted. I guess.

Yeah. And what I like about it is that it has not only a) a great setting and b) the usual White Wolf interesting powers, but two "ST is required to give you clues" powers, Mystery and Prophecy.

I would strongly recommend that among the players, two players sign up for these powers. If your stuck, these things unstick you.

As does epic strength 7.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just wanted to give this a bump.

Also I could probably take prophecy or mystery but I don't have a great int and my god isn't associated with either, so it would kinda be useless, but I could take it just so we have it.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm totally interested in this. I know little of the mechanics, but my roommate has the "Hero" book, so I can probably borrow that.

Scion of Vidar FTW!

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This interests me, but timing would be key...such as Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just adding to this myself. Sorry for low posting and replies, a game by Bioware consumed my interset. DAMN YOU COMMANDER SHEPARD.

DAMN YOU.

Seriously though, you don't have to take them, I just think the way they work is cool. Weird plot that makes no sense? No problem. Critical ST character dies before passing on evidence? No problem.

Heck, how much info given out is decided by ST. Read as "massively easy to use plot tool"

But I am not planning to make this game into some kind of Agatha Christie mystery. You will have to puzzle some things out, but its not gonna require rare knowledge of myths or anything. Your own non-augmented brains are fine.

And we still look to have at least 2 openings.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What pantheons are left to be taken by one of these said openings?

Or is it just whatever we'd want to pick?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You said you've got at least two openings. I'd like to officially state my interest. I'm flexible on times (read: I can be here whenever most weeks) and characters. I'm totally in if you want me. But, as Cytorak mentioned, I'd need an idea what's still available and allowable, as well as what sorts of restrictions you'll ask.

I'm ABSOLUTELY in, though. Assuming you want/need another player, of course.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah, that reminds me, Scion was apparently succesful enough that White-Wolf will be making at least two additional books for the series (beyond Hero, Demigod and God).

Ragnorok will be an Aesir (Norse guys) focused campaign, and Scion Companion will be a players guide type thing, I guess.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah, that reminds me, Scion was apparently succesful enough that White-Wolf will be making at least two additional books for the series (beyond Hero, Demigod and God).

Ragnorok will be an Aesir (Norse guys) focused campaign, and Scion Companion will be a players guide type thing, I guess.
    I picked up the book and am enjoying reading the fluff and looking at the art. I try reading the character creation rules and my mind wanders like a ADD 7 year old on crack though. Been too long since I've rolled the oddly shaped dice I guess.

As for the sequels, I have to wonder, what's beyond God? Or will it be rules to play the other side? New pantheons? Man, now I'm all curious.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It looks like he said it'd be a new pantheon, Norse, and a book of more player options, errata, new skills and weapons, spells, etc.

I'm still up for it, and it looks like my character's ready and basically approved. My job has random hours, but it's mostly nights, especially weekends. Just give me some notice and I'll be sure to try and get a certain night off or warn you I won't be around.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It looks like he said it'd be a new pantheon, Norse, and a book of more player options, errata, new skills and weapons, spells, etc.

Uh.. the Norse guys are the Aesir.. You know.. Odin and Thor and Ragnorok and all that? The Ragnorok book is a campaign focusing on them.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Color me very keen provided it is on a Saturday, being a euro and all. Staying up late for RP no longer works after I switched jobs and need to get up at 7 AM on all weekdays.

Had a Scion of Anubis in a game that died that I'd like to dig up again. I loved her so.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Uh.. the Norse guys are the Aesir.. You know.. Odin and Thor and Ragnorok and all that? The Ragnorok book is a campaign focusing on them.

Yeah, I was just repeating what you said back to him.

I've read my Thor, my Pyramid Power, beaten Valkyrie Profile...I even listen to some Hammerfall with my metalhead friend. I know about the Norse.

And as soon as you can play as them, I'm pretty sure that friend is going to buy this game. He's already a big WW fan, playing a Viking is going to tip him over the edge.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You can play as them NOW, actually.

Or rather, you can b Scions of the norse gods already. They're covered in the Hero book. I think that was the point that our zombified friend was making.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wow. The storyline example guy was even the Scion of Thor. I don't know how I could have forgotten that. I read the book a while back, and when I sat down to make a character I skipped right to the Pantheon I wanted to play. And the person I was helping didn't play them either, I think.

I completely forgot about that, and just interpreted the Ragnarok thing incorrectly. Oh man...

...still, that new book will be a good way to make my friend play Scion, at least. I'm going to go be quiet now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You can play as them NOW, actually.

Or rather, you can b Scions of the norse gods already. They're covered in the Hero book. I think that was the point that our zombified friend was making.

Aye. You're use of "new pantheon" is what tripped my comment flag. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Hello guys. If you remember who I am, its good to see you. I wanted to guage interest on an idea of mine. I am interested in STing a SCION game. It will be held over IM, whether AIM, or IRM or some other system is still up for grabs. (I've played over IM before, but don't have any preferences).

The story is starting out at hero level and eventually rising all the way to demigod and beyond (if WW ever releases the next book).

Quest to recover something important for Poseidon format. Titan spawn and globe-hopping with some non-quest related adventures thrown in. Titans will have a Lovecraft feel to them. Probably lead up to some Scion v Titan action.

Looking for a band of six, not necessarily all different pantheons. Just enough people to cover different aspects of the adventure.

Any interest in this?

Wednesdays and Saturdays are my days off.

Sure, why not? Gotta look at all the stuff again, but I'd love to go for something very Gun-happy, like say, something along the lines of Shoot 'Em Up. Possibly a Scion of Apollo or Artemis. Maybe Heimdall. His seems pretty interesting. Others that could fit the bill for me: Hachiman (If I shy away from being hot-blooded and reckless.) and Raiden.

So far, looks like the Greek gods are the most fitting, followed by Heimdall.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg