Options

Indie Games Thread

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Are you serious? Jonny Greenwood played Cave Story?

He totally did

Agentflit on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I keep seeing people dancing around the FS2 download, but nobody has mentioned the BSG version, have they? Work in progress, but they do have working betas for download. The models are beautiful. http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/

When I start Freespace 2 in mac, all the ships are invisible when flying around, I can't figure out how to invert the mouse, and all the specs flying past me turn up as white boxes. I think im going mad.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Battle for Wesnoth is incredibly cool. Just like fire emblem, but with multiplayer, and its free. Really liking it so far, plus it boasts an actual challenge.

Sueve on
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lots of good stuff to be found here.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3156339#satire

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Already looked through that list, and have played most of them. It is a quality list.

Sueve on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I tried Seiklus (it's in the OP) last night, and it was pretty and, as advertised, polished and relaxing, but I just wasn't enjoying playing it. It didn't hold my interest past 20 minutes.

Agreed. Seiklus was pretty, but I didn't find it fun. There just didn't seem to be any gameplay in it.

N definitely needs to be in the OP. I also really liked the hardest ascii game ever - http://blog53.fc2.com/k/king75/file/owata.html - the game actually can take a fair amount of time if you know what you're doing.

Zombie City Tactics is a fun strategy game - http://secretblender.blogspot.com/2006/08/brains-have-it.html

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Wedge BiggsWedge Biggs Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sueve wrote: »
    I keep seeing people dancing around the FS2 download, but nobody has mentioned the BSG version, have they? Work in progress, but they do have working betas for download. The models are beautiful. http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/

When I start Freespace 2 in mac, all the ships are invisible when flying around, I can't figure out how to invert the mouse, and all the specs flying past me turn up as white boxes. I think im going mad.

Found your problem there.

Wedge Biggs on
    I ain't never crossed a man who didn't deserve it. - Artis Ivey Jr.
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I feel like Aquaria should be put in the OP, because the thread here has a shitty name and isn't nearly as busy as it could be.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I guess I'm missing something big in Aquaria, because it's fun, but not $30 fun. It doesn't seem like $10 fun, either. I'm not trying to diss it, because I would like to enjoy it, I just want to know what it is I'm not seeing.

Finish the demo. The first hour or so is pretty sparse, but the rest of the game isn't like that, starting when you get into the energy temple. It's also just fun to control, looping around, boosting off walls, gracefully dodging all manner of bullshit heading your way, switching between powers and so forth. The incredible presentation just seals the deal (and was what kept me going past the boring stuff).

It does continue to have this fault where getting stuck backtracking sucks because it's basically just holding the mouse button down and waiting for Naija to get somewhere, but later on there is enough enemy population to keep you busy (and kill you if you're not careful - powerups can be sparse, and take significant effort to get if you're like me and go through all your "food" constantly).

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok I have some freetime, so ill add Aquaria (and put it in the thread title), and add N and some others. Still looking for a sticky though.

hehehe, totally stole the OP

Both added.

Sueve on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could you do a seprate list or something for mac users? The only one I have is Torus Trooper and I have played it to death.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok I have some freetime, so ill add Aquaria (and put it in the thread title), and add N and some others. Still looking for a sticky though.

Both added.

I forgive you for stealing my description of N from the Mac Games thread. ;-)

Sceptre on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could you do a seprate list or something for mac users? The only one I have is Torus Trooper and I have played it to death.

Just off the top of my head, I know that Cave Story, Battle for Wesnoth and N are all available to macs.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well do.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »

Both added.

I forgive you for stealing my description of N from the Mac Games thread. ;-)

:-D Thanks, I do alot of stealing, I couldn't possibly write up stuff on all these games!

edit: shit i double posted. So many eyes.

Sueve on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Liberation Army 1.35
    Barely necessary translation patch.

la4.jpg
    Liberation Army is a unique and compelling blend of real-time strategy, tactical planning, and shoot 'em up from Japan. Your objective as an army commander is to defeat the computer-controlled opponent by leading your "mechs" and spaceships in huge space battles. The game is a clever blend of turn-base and real-time strategy: every battle consists of two phases, the "Armament Phase" and "Combat Phase." In the Armament Phase, you can take as much time as you want to prepare your forces and recoup losses from the previous battle. Here you can save the current game, refill, repair, upgrade, and buy new units and battleships. In the real-time Combat Phase, you lead your dozens of units in a sprawling space battle. Here, the game is a fun shoot 'em up, but allows you to give commands to your troops at the same time. You win the battle when you eliminate the enemy or make them retreat. On the other hand, if your units are wiped out or retreat, you lose.

Gameplay Footage (Seems slowed down on YouTube)

I found this little known game years ago and can testify that it is oddly addictive. Just the right combination of action, tactics, and strategy to keep things interesting. Your typical battle will involve you flying around as one of the 4(?) pilots which each have their own mecha dodging enemy fire, tackling tough targets, and ordering your troops around as you wade through hundreds of enemy suits and capital ships. Just for fun, try using the hyper beam with the autoaim module in the middle of the opposing formation. Between battles, you can spend points researching new weapons, upgrading your mecha and troops, and buying new ships for your fleet.

Valkun on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why does this post assume that all (or maybe the best?) indie games are free? thats not vaguely my experience. Although I'm biased. :D
    How about these (not free) ones...

Democracy 2

screenshot3_t.gif

Lux Delux
    USA_war_zone300.jpg

Rock Legend
    screen4_thumb.jpg

Masters of Defense
    001.jpg

Kudos
    screen1_s.gif

cliffski on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So to clarify for those of us who are tired and greedy, will downloading that Freespace 2 thing give me the whole game or is it even a game at all? Am I dreaming?

Iriah on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    So to clarify for those of us who are tired and greedy, will downloading that Freespace 2 thing give me the whole game or is it even a game at all? Am I dreaming?

Yes, it's the whole game. Just run the Launcher.exe after you install and you should be fine.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm...playind trilby's notes and I'm stuck, but I know what I have to do and can't do it.
    How do I
    light the match under the fire alarm?

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Darkstryke wrote: »
    Hmm...playind trilby's notes and I'm stuck, but I know what I have to do and can't do it.
    How do I
    I think just walk up to it and light the match.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    How do I
    I think just walk up to it and light the match.
    I tried that, and all I get is "it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts." Tried everything to get it light, like "light match under fire alarm", "light match" and it doesn't work.

Edit: Got it. For some reason the command to light it worked this time. Weird.

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I will definitely be checking the Zelda Classic stuff.

Also, I think Chzo Mythos demand another playthrough. It's just a bunch of pixels, and yet, for a few days after playing the second game, I thought that, at night, mister DeFoe was walking around my flat.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ah crap, I forgot name of the guy who you have ask about the inn in TN. Some help here? ><

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah crap, I forgot name of the guy who you have ask about the inn in TN. Some help here? ><
    I believe his name is Abed, though I think you can just type 'ask man about inn' and it'll work fine

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmmm, after spending some time with the Requiem for Hyrule quest for Zelda Classic I may have to un-recommend it.

It has a solid design and you can tell the author spent some time with it, but it's just so inaccessible I can't recommend it to beginners. Custom quests almost always have some degree of trial and error but Requiem is just silly at times. There's something wrong when I'm three dungeons in and I haven't even found the level one sword.

Too bad. If there's anyone wanting to try out ZC for the first time they should start with Lost Isle anyway, such a fantastic quest.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmmm, after spending some time with the Requiem for Hyrule quest for Zelda Classic I may have to un-recommend it.

It has a solid design and you can tell the author spent some time with it, but it's just so inaccessible I can't recommend it to beginners. Custom quests almost always have some degree of trial and error but Requiem is just silly at times. There's something wrong when I'm three dungeons in and I haven't even found the level one sword.

Too bad. If there's anyone wanting to try out ZC for the first time they should start with Lost Isle anyway, such a fantastic quest.
    I was testing some of these out and one thing I noticed was that in Castle Haunt III you can move diagonally. However, you can't do it in any of the other mods, even ones that use the same version of ZC. How is this not completely fucking retarded and is there a way to fix it? That shit may have been acceptable in the stone age of gaming, but now that every modern controller has diagonals on its d-pad games that don't let you use them are unplayable.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lork wrote: »

I was testing some of these out and one thing I noticed was that in Castle Haunt III you can move diagonally. However, you can't do it in any of the other mods, even ones that use the same version of ZC. How is this not completely fucking retarded and is there a way to fix it? That shit may have been acceptable in the stone age of gaming, but now that every modern controller has diagonals on its d-pad games that don't let you use them are unplayable.
    Ahhh, yes, this drives me nuts as well.

First understand that the vanilla ZC engine is very barebones. Things such as animations, scripts and many more modifications that you find in a quest like Castle Haunt 3 aren't standard in the ZC engine. They have to be modified by the quest author. Sometimes the engine is so thoroughly modified that it's practically a new beta version of ZC. You probably downloaded one of these beta versions along with your copy of CH3 and you're using it now to play some of these other quests. This beta can play older quests but the modifications incorporated are specific to CH 3.

The only way I can think of fixing this is to either ask the author of the quest to start using some of these modifications or somehow convince Armageddon games to release a new version of the core engine with better animations.

I hope that explained some things. I'm not really involved with the development side of ZC, but I have some basic understanding of how stuff works.

Edit: I should probably mention that development of version 2.5 has really been kicking into gear these last couple of months. Hopefully when(or if, been waiting for nearly 3 years and counting) it comes out we'll see some improvement.
    EditEdit: In fact after looking at the history of 2.5 it seems we will be seeing Link to the Past like animations, as well as an item editor. That should mean that once 2.5 is released adding these animations is as simple as clicking a box in the quest editor.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    cliffski wrote: »
    Why does this post assume that all (or maybe the best?) indie games are free? thats not vaguely my experience. Although I'm biased. :D
    How about these (not free) ones...
    Gammmes

To make it clear, I'm a poor highschool student, so when I think of Indy games, I think fun and free. That obviously is not the case, and I will include those games in the OP, but I think Free games are inherently easier to cover, and are more inviting to people new to indy games.

From now on if people want to mention none-free games, just post em' and the price.
    -> that way ill mark them with the price in the OP.
    ;-)

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

Yes, it's the whole game. Just run the Launcher.exe after you install and you should be fine.

wooooo free game

edit - I keep looking over my shoulder periodically to check that the welder isn't sneaking up behind me D:

also, 7 days spoiler:
    If you keep the idol in your pocket right at the end, after the welder dies, and you go to change out of your space suit...

The door opens and you are the welder D:D:D:

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

wooooo free game

Unless stated in the OP, all games listed are free.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

wooooo free game

Unless stated in the OP, all games listed are free.

wooooo lots of free games

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

wooooo free game

edit - I keep looking over my shoulder periodically to check that the welder isn't sneaking up behind me D:

also, 7 days spoiler:
    If you keep the idol in your pocket right at the end, after the welder dies, and you go to change out of your space suit...

I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE!

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

wooooo free game

also, 7 days spoiler:

I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE!
    The twist ending was silly and pointless. I don't like the way the rest of the series ended either, especially for Theodore and
    Clone Trilby.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Erm...where is the link for N?

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Erm...where is the link for N?

its in there ;-)

N is becoming more enjoyable for me now, but most of my time is dedicated for Cave Story.

Dying in N can be quite hilarious.

Sueve on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Battle for Wesnoth ate a ton of my time a couple years ago. Wonderful game, one of the few examples of a totally open-source project being developed on a reasonable schedule without a ton of feature-creep.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe after finals week, we can all play an epic 9 player FFA on Battle for Wesnoth? Development Version 1.3.12 just had binaries compiled. Now that I have a bit more experience with it, I can make up a better description for it when I get the time.

Valkun on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the CHZO games are freaky, yes? I've heard they're good horror. Didn't even know Yahtzee made them.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the CHZO games are freaky, yes? I've heard they're good horror. Didn't even know Yahtzee made them.

The best way to play them is in a dimly lit room, with no other distractions, and to read the dialogue and descriptions and stuff. There are some minutae details that one can easily overlook, but add to the whole mindfuckery.

Or maybe it is just me.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg