Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Champions online!

15657585961

Posts

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Hey Pony, have you tried the web-slinging travel power? Is it awesome?

    Swinging? Yes. It's awesome and easy to use and fun and quite swift.

    However it's not really web-swinging. You have a handheld grappling hook, ala Batman.

    At some future point they might add a web-swing or chain-swing power, though.

    OK, sweet. :D

    Oh god I have so many ideas for characters right now, I'm not even sure I would like playing the game as much as I would just like to run/fly/swing around looking awesome.

    not gonna lie

    first character i took fly on

    i literally spent half an hour flying around a zone just cruising past shit

    the way fly works is actually pretty cool

    you can just tap fly on, or you can charge it up.

    if you just tap it, you start out at slightly slower than walking hover speed, then you start to increase to faster than running speed with a little whoosh

    then you emit a sonic boom with a big wind effect and you go flying at absurd speed

    if you charge up fly before taking off, you start at max speed

    Pony on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, altogether you're saying that we can have hypersonic superstrong telekenetic werewolves with beams coming out of their eyes. I think I can live with that.

    My concerns about the single shard are, of course, lag and queues. I wonder if they'll eventually be forced to split servers or not.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    So, altogether you're saying that we can have hypersonic superstrong telekenetic werewolves with beams coming out of their eyes. I think I can live with that.

    My concerns about the single shard are, of course, lag and queues. I wonder if they'll eventually be forced to split servers or not.

    Queues aren't an issue because there's multiple iterations of each zone, ala Guild Wars.

    So, for example, when I take a helicopter to Millennium City, a list pops up to let me choose which iteration of Mil City I want to go to.

    This also cuts down on lag, because you don't have everyone packed everywhere.

    Also, this menu tells you if any of your friends or super-group (guild) members are in any of the iterations, so you can make sure you are in the same zone as your friends.

    I've seen multiple instances of every zone, but I've never seen any of the instances "greyed out" or unable to enter.

    So, it won't be a problem, I imagine.

    Pony on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with 1 server is I'm not a fan of how they did the naming. As it is, there's no real reason to try and make a cool character name, because all people are going to notice is your global handle. Which also brings up the problem of every dumbshit in the game immediately knowing what your global handle is.

    Also, swinging has one significant problem.
    MV5BMTM4MjQ3NDA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU0OTE3._V1._SX485_SY319_.jpg

    "Fly, yes. Land? No."

    You can't land. You can only let go mid-swing and hope the falling damage doesn't do you in or drop you off in the middle of a mass of mobs who will then 1-shot you.

    Also the swing has a nasty habit of sending you flying backwards if you don't time your releases right or it's laggy. Compared to fly it's a ridiculously complicated and dangerous way of getting around.

    Scooter on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    The problem with 1 server is I'm not a fan of how they did the naming. As it is, there's no real reason to try and make a cool character name, because all people are going to notice is your global handle. Which also brings up the problem of every dumbshit in the game immediately knowing what your global handle is.

    Also, swinging has one significant problem.
    MV5BMTM4MjQ3NDA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU0OTE3._V1._SX485_SY319_.jpg

    "Fly, yes. Land? No."

    You can't land. You can only let go mid-swing and hope the falling damage doesn't do you in or drop you off in the middle of a mass of mobs who will then 1-shot you.

    Also the swing has a nasty habit of sending you flying backwards if you don't time your releases right or it's laggy. Compared to fly it's a ridiculously complicated and dangerous way of getting around.

    Compared to CoH's "some goober took that name three years ago and never did anything with it so you can't have it and I hope you like having convoluted names for all your characters because everything good is taken" bullshit I am totally cool with how Champions does it.

    Also, they recently corrected swinging and fixed the very issues you complained about.

    Not that you actually play the beta enough to notice, but just enough to have spurious complaints, Scooter.

    Pony on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unless recently was, like, this week

    Even if I was really into it I'm not actually capable of doing every playsession cause they're all on work days dammit

    Scooter on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Lines that aren't in the film do put a smile on my face... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Also, this menu tells you if any of your friends or super-group (guild) members are in any of the iterations, so you can make sure you are in the same zone as your friends.

    That's an incredibly simple, but incredible useful and awesome idea.

    Undead Scottsman on
    Gxh2uVN.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Internet Pariah Going nowhere, but fast.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Also, this menu tells you if any of your friends or super-group (guild) members are in any of the iterations, so you can make sure you are in the same zone as your friends.

    That's an incredibly simple, but incredible useful and awesome idea.

    You guys we should totally make a guild, I swear.

    Henroid on
    Don't accept centrism. Don't let them bully you.
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's not necessarily the "SERVER FIRSTS!" that I'm talking about. It's things like, "Yeah this server is full of a bunch of furries" and "This server has a super aggressive Horde side despite being outnumbered."

    I've heard that CoH's Pinnacle server, the one I used to mainly play on, is referred to as the Drunk Server.

    Caulk Bite 6 on
    Your sig was giving an oversized bandwidth exceeded image -mods
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    12 travel powers?

    Jesus christ!

    Are we talking like, Hover and Fly as 2 options, or like, Flight, Teleport, Speed, Jump, Swing, Wall Cling... 12 different travel archtypes?

    KiTA on
    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    12 travel powers?

    Jesus christ!

    Are we talking like, Hover and Fly as 2 options, or like, Flight, Teleport, Speed, Jump, Swing, Wall Cling... 12 different travel archtypes?

    Some are the same thing with different animations. For example, Flight and Jet Boots do the same thing, but the animation is different.

    Lucascraft on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Also, this menu tells you if any of your friends or super-group (guild) members are in any of the iterations, so you can make sure you are in the same zone as your friends.

    That's an incredibly simple, but incredible useful and awesome idea.

    You guys we should totally make a guild, I swear.

    Are guild functions available in the beta yet? Not that we need that to form up, just curious.

    Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    12 travel powers?

    Jesus christ!

    Are we talking like, Hover and Fly as 2 options, or like, Flight, Teleport, Speed, Jump, Swing, Wall Cling... 12 different travel archtypes?

    Some are the same thing with different animations. For example, Flight and Jet Boots do the same thing, but the animation is different.

    Sold! So sold on the idea of Jet Boots!

    Dunxco on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    12 travel powers?

    Jesus christ!

    Are we talking like, Hover and Fly as 2 options, or like, Flight, Teleport, Speed, Jump, Swing, Wall Cling... 12 different travel archtypes?

    Some are the same thing with different animations. For example, Flight and Jet Boots do the same thing, but the animation is different.

    Sold! So sold on the idea of Jet Boots!

    I don't know how many truly "different" travel powers there are but it's not 12, I think it's more than 6-8 tho. There's a variety of "flight" options that all work a bit differently.

    Jet boots and flight both fly, but jet boots have a different mechanic. Flight is a generic activate and forget travel power. Jet boots are faster but require active participation to keep up speed. Most of the powers are still being worked on so no real point in discussing specifics of how they work.

    Cabezone on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are, at current, 12 different travel powers and 18 different frameworks (power sets)

    Pony on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm looking forward to this game. Been playing CoH ever since the last three days of their open beta.

    Hopefully even if I don't get into it they will do well enough to be healthy competition for CoH.

    MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    totally do-able

    there is a repulsor blast power that actually pushes guys back as you blast them, it's a lot of fun
    Does everyone else on your team scream like bitches about the knockback? Cause, it ain't worth the whining, no matter how much fun it is to toss mobs around.

    GungHo on
    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My friend and I have came up with our first character Ideas.

    My guys is going to be like I described above. A Fire based Blaster with Emerald Green fire. His name will be "Origin" based off of an old mutants and masterminds character.

    My friend is going to focus on Electricity powers and call himself "Archon"

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno man, I know this forum doesn't have as many trolls as most, but I probably wouldn't post intended character names on a forum, especially when there's only going to be one server shard.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I dunno man, I know this forum doesn't have as many trolls as most, but I probably wouldn't post intended character names on a forum, especially when there's only going to be one server shard.

    See, that's the beauty of it. It doesn't matter if someone grabs it. It's your global chat handle that has to be unique, names are not.

    Cynic Jester on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I dunno man, I know this forum doesn't have as many trolls as most, but I probably wouldn't post intended character names on a forum, especially when there's only going to be one server shard.

    See, that's the beauty of it. It doesn't matter if someone grabs it. It's your global chat handle that has to be unique, names are not.

    Ohhhhh. Hmm. That definitely has some pros and cons. Not sure how I feel about it.

    It's probably alright.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    The problem with 1 server is I'm not a fan of how they did the naming. As it is, there's no real reason to try and make a cool character name, because all people are going to notice is your global handle. Which also brings up the problem of every dumbshit in the game immediately knowing what your global handle is.

    Couldn't this problem be solved by the simple slash command of /hideglobalname?

    Magic Radio on
    Frei wrote:
    you get to talk as if you are an internet wizard, forecasting the tides
  • fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Being a single shard containing the entire player base it's probably less likely you'd run into anyone copying your name anyways unless they're in a group you run with frequently.

    I was a little disappointed with everything I was hearing for a while, but it does sound like the game is shaping up fairly well. I want to play this if only for the variety it offers over WoW. In WoW, everyone is wearing whatever the latest tier of gear is and there's almost no customization beyond that. I've already thought up a plethora of characters I'd like to make and then beyond that everyone else playing will have their own ideas. It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

    fairweather on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Being a single shard containing the entire player base it's probably less likely you'd run into anyone copying your name anyways unless they're in a group you run with frequently.

    I was a little disappointed with everything I was hearing for a while, but it does sound like the game is shaping up fairly well. I want to play this if only for the variety it offers over WoW. In WoW, everyone is wearing whatever the latest tier of gear is and there's almost no customization beyond that. I've already thought up a plethora of characters I'd like to make and then beyond that everyone else playing will have their own ideas. It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

    Depending on total population I expect at least a thousand dudes running around with long white hair and dressed in black named Sephiroth.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Being a single shard containing the entire player base it's probably less likely you'd run into anyone copying your name anyways unless they're in a group you run with frequently.

    I was a little disappointed with everything I was hearing for a while, but it does sound like the game is shaping up fairly well. I want to play this if only for the variety it offers over WoW. In WoW, everyone is wearing whatever the latest tier of gear is and there's almost no customization beyond that. I've already thought up a plethora of characters I'd like to make and then beyond that everyone else playing will have their own ideas. It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

    Depending on total population I expect at least a thousand dudes running around with long white hair and dressed in black named Sephiroth.

    I don't know why I didn't think of this before - but this means we SHOULD never see XxXOoOSephirothOoOXxX or its ilk again. I think I'm going to cry.

    Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, we'll just be seeing Sephiroths instead, and there's always bound to be players who can't spell the name in the first place...

    I'm hoping at least a good chunk of the population would prefer to come up with their own characters instead of copying existing heroes completely.

    fairweather on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Being a single shard containing the entire player base it's probably less likely you'd run into anyone copying your name anyways unless they're in a group you run with frequently.

    I was a little disappointed with everything I was hearing for a while, but it does sound like the game is shaping up fairly well. I want to play this if only for the variety it offers over WoW. In WoW, everyone is wearing whatever the latest tier of gear is and there's almost no customization beyond that. I've already thought up a plethora of characters I'd like to make and then beyond that everyone else playing will have their own ideas. It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

    Depending on total population I expect at least a thousand dudes running around with long white hair and dressed in black named Sephiroth.

    I don't know why I didn't think of this before - but this means we SHOULD never see XxXOoOSephirothOoOXxX or its ilk again. I think I'm going to cry.

    I'm sure it'll still happen a little bit. For old times.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Being a single shard containing the entire player base it's probably less likely you'd run into anyone copying your name anyways unless they're in a group you run with frequently.

    I was a little disappointed with everything I was hearing for a while, but it does sound like the game is shaping up fairly well. I want to play this if only for the variety it offers over WoW. In WoW, everyone is wearing whatever the latest tier of gear is and there's almost no customization beyond that. I've already thought up a plethora of characters I'd like to make and then beyond that everyone else playing will have their own ideas. It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

    Depending on total population I expect at least a thousand dudes running around with long white hair and dressed in black named Sephiroth.

    I don't know why I didn't think of this before - but this means we SHOULD never see XxXOoOSephirothOoOXxX or its ilk again. I think I'm going to cry.

    I'm sure it'll still happen a little bit. For old times.

    "But I've been using xXxS3ph1s4y4n666xXx23 for years!"

    Cynic Jester on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony, you bastard, now I'm updating my beta client and logging in.

    I was really unimpressed by the early beta. We'll see what happens now.

    Bitstream on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Some are the same thing with different animations. For example, Flight and Jet Boots do the same thing, but the animation is different.

    Sold! So sold on the idea of Jet Boots!

    That was pretty much my reaction to that post. It was as if those two words were in neon colors feeding me M&M's. I have an awesome idea for a character that will use jet boots very nicely.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • LoxleyLoxley Registered User
    edited June 2009
    The jet boots are pretty cool. Initially you just sort of hover around once you turn them on, but if you rapidly tap the travel power button you'll go into a quick boost. It looks pretty sick. If you press the button too much though the boots will actually short out and become unusable for 10 or so seconds :D

    Loxley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenroidHenroid Internet Pariah Going nowhere, but fast.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    12 travel powers?

    Jesus christ!

    Are we talking like, Hover and Fly as 2 options, or like, Flight, Teleport, Speed, Jump, Swing, Wall Cling... 12 different travel archtypes?

    Some are the same thing with different animations. For example, Flight and Jet Boots do the same thing, but the animation is different.

    This is something CoX was lacking so hard. My highest level character, a technology elec / elec brute, was gonna have flying as a travel power. Unfortunately, it was limited to a single animation of just kinda looking like you fly like Rogue. Not even the tech wings and alternate costume with the flight mask and such helped to change the effect.

    Henroid on
    Don't accept centrism. Don't let them bully you.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the really sad thing about CoX is that there actually are four or five more flight poses, but no practical way to use them for anything.

    I guess they are all pretty bad anyway though

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    accept your death, and become dangerous
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Lines that aren't in the film do put a smile on my face... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Off the top of my head

    Flight,
    jetboots,
    fireflight (flight but with fire effects),
    Superjump,
    Super speed,
    teleportation,
    swinging,
    tunneling,
    acrobatics (like megajump and megaspeed combined, if I understand correctly.) and
    flying platform stuff (ice sliding ala Iceman).

    Those are all I can remember.

    Undead Scottsman on
    Gxh2uVN.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Internet Pariah Going nowhere, but fast.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would change "swinging" to "grappling hook," because you never know if they'll add more ways.

    Henroid on
    Don't accept centrism. Don't let them bully you.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have to admit that Pony's enthusiasm is making me like Champions more. Also, I have a rubbish computer and a 360, so if it does come out on 360 eventually, that would make a big difference to me.

    My only misgiving is that Pony got a bit like this with D&D 4e, and now has gone off it. He might be like me and get over-enthusiastic about stuff at first.

    poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, thanks to /Retcon I've managed to try all the power frameworks "pure" (like just using them) on a level 18 character.

    The verdict? Some power frameworks don't tickle my fancy to take singularly. Sorcery, for example, is largely oriented around support and support really isn't my bag. However, mix Sorcery with say... Munitions and now you've got my attention.

    Mage with a shotgun? Yes please.

    Basically all of the power frameworks have stuff that, for me at least, I could see myself cherry-picking for a concept.

    Pony on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited June 2009
    So wait, when you /retcon, you aren't limited to the power framework(s) you picked at chargen?

    Do you also get to redo your stats? Because if so, you're really not going to have to roll many characters to try EVERYTHING.

    Kay2 on
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tunneling? crazy

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Lines that aren't in the film do put a smile on my face... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    So wait, when you /retcon, you aren't limited to the power framework(s) you picked at chargen?

    Do you also get to redo your stats? Because if so, you're really not going to have to roll many characters to try EVERYTHING.

    You're never limited to the powers from the frameworks you start with. They just "cost" less compared to other powers, but you can pick any powers in the game.
    Wren wrote: »
    tunneling? crazy

    http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/844881/cryptic-studios-mmo-project/videos/championsonline_trl_tunneling_50809.html

    Undead Scottsman on
    Gxh2uVN.jpg
This discussion has been closed.