Options

Bands at PAX Discussion Thread

1468910

Posts

  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    firewallenderfirewallender Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just read this from http://www.myspace.com/mcchris:
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008

    pax cancelled :(

    guys i'm so sorry to report that i can't do pax. i know this makes me look like a supreme douche. i've been accused of thinking i'm too cool for pax but nothing could be farther from the truth. i love all the pax peoples and i was super excited to go and check out all the indie games, meet freezepop and most of all meet the fans. i thought i was gonna fly in really easy like, but i'm sad to report that i wont be able to. i won't let you down next round and i'll try to find something cool to take my place.

    i also won't be able to do the upright citizens brigade show on the 23rd. i will try to reschedule it into my fall routing in october.

    again i can't apologize enough. i'm double sad today. :(:(

    Bummer! Anyone know what the heck is going on? I was looking forward to this.

    firewallender on
    Firewallender.com | @firewallender on Twitter

    I SURVIVED THE PAX 2009 CON-SARS BREAKOUT!
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just read this from http://www.myspace.com/mcchris:
    guys i'm so sorry to report that i can't do pax. i know this makes me look like a supreme douche. i've been accused of thinking i'm too cool for pax but nothing could be farther from the truth.

    Bummer! Anyone know what the heck is going on? I was looking forward to this.

    Obviously he's too cool for PAX! :P

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does that mean they fill his spot with someone else?

    redhalo on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    fuck, honestly mc chris was the biggest thing i was looking forward to, and really the only music act i cared about

    The_Reflection on
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey Pax Family,

    I just posted up an interview with The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, the HP Lovecraft tribute band that will be tearing up PAX 2008. I've listened to their music on their myspace and they are really talented.

    To read the full interview with Toren the lead singer go here:
    http://mypaxblog.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/darkest-of-the-hillside-thickets-interview/

    Are you guys gamers as well as musicians?
    You bet. Warren and I wrote the award-winning tabletop roleplaying game Spaceship Zero (which ties into our third album) and we have both worked for Chaosium (makers of Call of Cthulhu) and been involved in Dungeons & Dragons professionally and for fun for decades.


    Thickets.jpg

    Avid on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    okay, i take back saying mc chris was the only one i care about, I forgot about JoCo and freezepop, and i will now check out the darkest of the hillside thickets

    The_Reflection on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good riddance to Chris

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Does that mean they fill his spot with someone else?
    please be horse the band

    emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Does that mean they fill his spot with someone else?

    I suggest that we replace him with Dethklok.

    b0wser on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Light the Optimus Rhyme signal!

    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    damn, mc chris was probably my single most anticipated attraction of this year's pax, this is terrible news. less than two weeks after the announcement, he cancels. we definitely deserve an explanation.

    dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Riggz13 wrote: »
    Was it just me, or did a couple of the bands last year just not seem to be into it? Like in 2006 both Optimus Rhyme and The Minibosses seemed to be absolutely stoked to be at the show, complete with most of the Minibosses in PictoChat in between songs. But 2007, it kinda felt like their heart wasn't in it. Both seemed to kind of just rush through their sets and get going. Maybe it was just me because I wanted them both to play for 19 hours.

    To quote a guy a few pages ago, I completely agree. I think the Minibosses and Optimus have traditionally been my favorite acts at PAX. It seems like they have rocked my face with my favorite tracks every year until 2007... I left the concert both nights with something to be desired. I think my favorite act last year was the One Ups followed by... nope, I didn't think anyone else brought it. Freezepop was just waaaaaaaaaaaay too much Freezepop.

    TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was actually more excited to see Anamanaguchi live not that I don't want to see mc chris or anything.

    emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Light the Optimus Rhyme signal!

    Except they broke up...

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Light the Optimus Rhyme signal!

    Except they broke up...

    But for one night only....

    LewieP on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Light the Optimus Rhyme signal!

    Except they broke up...

    That's odd. Why are they playing a show the night before PAX? http://www.optimusrhyme.com/. I mean that's how I read the top of the site. It does look like they are all in other bands as well now, so is it some sort of reunion show or something? I don't get it.


    Also: I would do anything for Dethklok! Their show was sold out here before I even knew they were coming.


    For what it is worth, the best VGM music act I have EVER seen live (and I've seen quite a few) has got to be the Black Mages. Sure, there is the Final Fantasy fan in me, but with the full orchestra, choir, and rock band lead by Uematsu himself it just leaves me speechless...

    Of course I'm not suggesting PAX try and book them. I'm just saying I wouldn't be ADVERSE to the idea ;)

    TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    redhalo wrote: »
    Does that mean they fill his spot with someone else?

    I suggest that we replace him with Dethklok.

    I'd be down for that. Chances of it happening?

    redhalo on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MC Chris says "fuck you PAX, I got better things to do":
    NEW TOUR DATES!!! ON TOUR WITH REGGIE & THE FULL EFFECT!!!

    08/29/08
    The New Oasis
    2100 Victorian Ave
    Reno, NV 89431
    ALL AGES

    08/30/08
    Avalon Theater
    3605 South State St.

    Salt Lake City, UT 84115
    ALL AGES

    08/31/08
    Marquis Theatre
    2009 Larimer Street
    Denver, CO 80202
    ALL AGES

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Clearly he decided that Hookers and Blow > PAX

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Clearly he decided that Hookers and Blow > PAX

    He could've found both on the 6th floor.

    tr0tsky on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Clearly he decided that Hookers and Blow > PAX

    Uhmmm, so I think I might not be at PAX but instead hanging out with MC Hookers and Blow... I mean Chris

    MaoChan on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have nothing nice to say about the person involved so I wont say anything.

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    I have nothing nice to say about the person involved so I wont say anything.

    Who are you and what have you done with BigRed?

    I demand answers!

    tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Labrack2401Labrack2401 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Snickers wrote: »
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    omg, mc chris is coming back, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    No! Bad dyaballikl!

    For srs, MC Chris SUCKED hardcore donkey bawls last time he played PAX. I would NOT waste my time listening to him again, and neither should anyone else!

    Your kidding right, he is so nerdcore it's sweet.

    Labrack2401 on
  • Options
    Labrack2401Labrack2401 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    MC Chris says "fuck you PAX, I got better things to do":
    NEW TOUR DATES!!! ON TOUR WITH REGGIE & THE FULL EFFECT!!!

    08/29/08
    The New Oasis
    2100 Victorian Ave
    Reno, NV 89431
    ALL AGES

    08/30/08
    Avalon Theater
    3605 South State St.

    Salt Lake City, UT 84115
    ALL AGES

    08/31/08
    Marquis Theatre
    2009 Larimer Street
    Denver, CO 80202
    ALL AGES

    THat really makes me sad!

    Labrack2401 on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    THat really makes me sad!

    Yeah, me too. Unfortunatly mc chris doesn't seem to care about what his fans think. :P

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yea this was the only concert I was really looking forward to.

    MaoChan on
  • Options
    wetzelcoatlwetzelcoatl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    it kind of sucks mc chris canceled but i'm not really surprised, i mean the guy is like the nerdcore kanye west, he's really popular but hes a total dick. honestly i think pax will be better off without him just because even though i like his music i feel like the last time he was there he draged down the mood of the entire convention because the attitude he seems to have twoard the rest of the nerd community.

    wetzelcoatl on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    it kind of sucks mc chris canceled but i'm not really surprised, i mean the guy is like the nerdcore kanye west, he's really popular but hes a total dick. honestly i think pax will be better off without him just because even though i like his music i feel like the last time he was there he draged down the mood of the entire convention because the attitude he seems to have twoard the rest of the nerd community.

    "George Bush doesn't care about nerd people!"

    honestly, i disagree, though. I have met him 3 times, and he was so cool each time, an entirely different person than when he's on stage. there has to be a big reason for this that we don't know about.

    dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    it kind of sucks mc chris canceled but i'm not really surprised, i mean the guy is like the nerdcore kanye west, he's really popular but hes a total dick. honestly i think pax will be better off without him just because even though i like his music i feel like the last time he was there he draged down the mood of the entire convention because the attitude he seems to have twoard the rest of the nerd community.

    "George Bush doesn't care about nerd people!"

    honestly, i disagree, though. I have met him 3 times, and he was so cool each time, an entirely different person than when he's on stage. there has to be a big reason for this that we don't know about.

    His has said that he's trying to separate himself from being seen as a gimmick.

    redhalo on
  • Options
    wetzelcoatlwetzelcoatl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    there has to be a big reason for this that we don't know about.

    he has a history of trying to seperate himself from the nerdcore scene and i think the reason is pretty obvious, he was presented with an oportunity to do a more "mainstream" show so he took it. i really can't understand why he can just except who his fans are and embrace it instead of trying to be something else.

    wetzelcoatl on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    there has to be a big reason for this that we don't know about.

    he has a history of trying to seperate himself from the nerdcore scene and i think the reason is pretty obvious, he was presented with an offer to do a more "mainstream" show so he took it.

    I really think that will be his downfall.

    redhalo on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    there has to be a big reason for this that we don't know about.

    he has a history of trying to seperate himself from the nerdcore scene and i think the reason is pretty obvious, he was presented with an oportunity to do a more "mainstream" show so he took it. i really can't understand why he can just except who his fans are and embrace it instead of trying to be something else.

    And played it off like something "Important" came up, and he just found out he couldn't make it to a show that had been in the works for months, instead of telling us that he's not coming so he can go do a show with someone else.

    George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Crawford wrote: »
    And played it off like something "Important" came up, and he just found out he couldn't make it to a show that had been in the works for months, instead of telling us that he's not coming so he can go do a show with someone else.

    Yeah, it was awesome following up his "Oh, woe is me, please don't hate me post" with a super excited "OMG here's my new schedule!" in 2 days. Smooth.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Riggz13Riggz13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm with the guys who were saying let's bring in Dethklok. They had a song on Guitar Hero, that qualified Freezepop. I'll sign a death waiver any day.

    Riggz13 on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    Crawford wrote: »
    And played it off like something "Important" came up, and he just found out he couldn't make it to a show that had been in the works for months, instead of telling us that he's not coming so he can go do a show with someone else.

    Yeah, it was awesome following up his "Oh, woe is me, please don't hate me post" with a super excited "OMG here's my new schedule!" in 2 days. Smooth.

    yeah, i left kind of a nasty response to that post. i'm sure he won't allow it to be posted, though, since he screens all posts on his page. also, kinda lame.

    dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    yeah, i left kind of a nasty response to that post. i'm sure he won't allow it to be posted, though, since he screens all posts on his page. also, kinda lame.

    Looks like he lets all non-spam through.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    yeah, i left kind of a nasty response to that post. i'm sure he won't allow it to be posted, though, since he screens all posts on his page. also, kinda lame.

    Looks like he lets all non-spam through.

    Not all non-spam

    Lets just say I said some not-so-nice things in one of his blogs.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    LumasLumas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
This discussion has been closed.