As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WCK's Drawings - The Good, the Bad and the Badass

winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Artist's Corner
Here are some drawings i have done. I have been stuck in a habbit of drawing manga for so many years. I have decided to NEVER again draw manga and to try a more realistic approach to my drawings. Below are a few images. Let me know wat you think. Any problems, perspective etc would be good. Cheers.

consrq1.jpg

genesimmonszp0.jpg

jaylenobn6.jpg

twilightknightbywinterctk9.jpg

winter_combat_knight on

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    It looks to me like you suffer from one of the same problems I have for a while, that is, where your portraits are trapped in a weird spot between cartoony and realistic.

Assuming it's the cartooniness of manga you are trying to escape, I suggest working on how you define form. A lot of times it is the suggestion of form that will help give it a realistic feel and not going in and trying to draw every contour.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey winter!

You're just starting out on the long and hard road to being a better artist. I think you've made a good decision to study life rather than work exclusively in an anime style. There are a lot of things that need to be worked on here. Line quality, spacial relationships, anatomy, gesture, construction,perspective, value, and three dimensional representation.

I'd suggest heading over to the questions, discussion, and tutorials thread and do every human anatomy and gesture tutorial you can do. The Glen Vilppu Drawing Articles are a good start.

This is a great article and i think it will really help you out. It deals with breaking value into two dimensional shapes to better construct your drawings.

I'd also suggest working on more than just portraits. Sign up for a life drawing course, take art classes at school, draw your friends, draw your cat, draw your table lamp, draw all the buildings on a street, draw yourself. Do these things from LIFE. Don't use photo references, especially flash photos like you've been using for these drawings. Go out there, bring your sketchbook and fucking do it!

Good luck!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cheers for the advice mate! Im in second year of Illustration at uni this year. I'm taking a painting/drawing class which has helped me so much. Thanks for the links. Appreciated!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    A pic i did tonight. Took me bout 1.5 hrs. Looks much better in my sketchbook. My 8 yr old scanner doesnt pick up the colours nicely at all.

billmurrayjq7.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A pic i did tonight. Took me bout 1.5 hrs. Looks much better in my sketchbook. My 8 yr old scanner doesnt pick up the colours nicely at all.

That's a good bill murray

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    That's some heavy football eye syndrome you've got going on there.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Try to focus on drawing exactly what you see, as opposed to what your brain wants you to think what you're seeing (such as football eyes). Spend as much time as you need doing a predrawing, just make sure all the proportions are ACCURATE before you start putting down values. Also, use your pencil to line features up, to make sure that they're accurate. Having good construction beforehand will make or break a piece! Strive for perfection! You're off to a great start mister

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGzr_hlKcsg Here's a good watch for you, he explains what I just said a little more in depth.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cheers for the links mate. Thanks for heads up on the football eyes fellas. Here is a pic i drew while thinking about the suggestions from u guys. Tried to avoid really sharp lines. Cheers!

BTW i dont have an obsession with Conan O'Brien :)

conandevartnb3.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    although you do need some practice in obvious areas, I do gotta give you props on the liveness on some of them.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Eves are a bit out, as well as the shape of the face.

scarlettjohanssonlowquazl5.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    yeah the chin is too pointy and the jaw line should be lower a bit i would think. Also you may wanna smooth out that pointy tip. It's ok, I just made the exact same mistakes on something I'm working on now.

try using some references - keep two or three minimum out while drawing, and study each photo and try to give yourself an understanding of how the face works. what's differentiated between male and female etc

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    G'day fellas. For a uni assignment i am to do a self portrait where we get to choose our own method. I have considered mixing both traditional work and digital colour together. Here is an example of one of my sketches i coloured in photoshop which took me bout 10 mins. Of course my actual portrait i will spend much more time gettin the right proportions and tones. What do you think of this for a method? Can it work or is it just a mess?

Cheers dudes.

devconanfu1.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    looks more like a portrait of conan obrian....well then...i guess you look like conan obrian, huh?

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NamNam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Less detail, more measuring and attention to proportion dude.

Nam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    looks more like a portrait of conan obrian....well then...i guess you look like conan obrian, huh?

Haha. I should have mentioned this was just a test for colouring.
    Less detail, more measuring and attention to proportion dude.

Yeah this does need more time given to proportions, but i just grabbed any image as mainly a test for colouring.

My main question is does anyone think Pencil work and Digital colour can work well together? If it doesnt fell free to say so.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it definitely can work, if you don't try and use the pencil lines the same way you would use digital inks. You have to incorporate the properties of the pencil lines so that it dosen't look forced and un-natural.

An awful description, I apologise, I'm not feeling particularly eloquent today.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hang on a sec, that's not supposed to be Conan O'Brian?....cause it looks exactly like him.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It is Conan O'Brian.

He is doing a self portrait, and the Conan picture is practice.

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Hang on a sec, that's not supposed to be Conan O'Brian?....cause it looks exactly like him.

It was a test mate :)

Here is a quick sketch of the self portrait assignment im doing at uni, which i placed in photoshop.

meconceptnh9.jpg

I dont think im going to go with colouring it on computer. I'm sure it can work well if i put in the time but i think i'll go with acrylics.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Portrait for Uni.

Assignment is a portrait of a celebrity. I chose Conan Obrien.

Here it is so far...

conanpaintsofarrv1.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Doing well so far. The best things for you at this point are to practice and measure. Don't be afraid of optical measurement. The best artists spend 1-2 hours just on the first stage of a sketch, measuring and fixing lines until everything is in the perfect spot.

Try getting a small cropper to look through so you can compare proportions.

jibjib on
  • Options
    protosomeprotosome Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    The drawings themselves are fine. Though I must say, the first guy kinda looks like he's just been busted on 'To Catch a Predator'.

protosome on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh, and definitely get in the habit of shading by building up lines instead of smearing/using the side of the pencil

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    protosome wrote: »
    The drawings themselves are fine. Though I must say, the first guy kinda looks like he's just been busted on 'To Catch a Predator'.

Is that an American television show? I wouldn't know what 'To Catch a Predator' is:) But yeah it kinda looks weird.
    jibjib wrote: »
    oh, and definitely get in the habit of shading by building up lines instead of smearing/using the side of the pencil

I never thought about that. I'll give it a go. cheers mate!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    jibjib wrote: »

I never thought about that. I'll give it a go. cheers mate!

The technique I'm referring to is explained very well at the top of this page. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back, i guarantee :)

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey fellas. While i'm still working on a realistic styled portrait of Conan O'Brien, i thought id attempt to do a caricature. Advice/Feedback etc would be appreciated.

conanvr4.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    jmpspinjmpspin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I see the villian from the incredibles

jmpspin on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Needs much more contrast. Also it looks too soft, some harder edges might really help if from looking fuzzyish.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Needs much more contrast. Also it looks too soft, some harder edges might really help if from looking fuzzyish.

Cheers for the heads-up. I just realised on my monitor the colours appear with much higher contrast than it does displayed on other monitors (my bros PC and Macs). I'm probably going to have to calibrate my monitor or use another one.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey fellas. From an assignment at Uni we are to experiment with mixed media to create a series of images with a particual theme. I have chosen New York because of my interest in the city structure and art style. Thought id share some of my work ive done so far. BTW they dont need to be exactly accurate/realistic, just visually interesting.

Statue_of_Liberty_by_WinterCombatKnight.jpg

Empire_State_Building_by_WinterCombatKnight.jpg

Times_Square_by_WinterCombatKnight.jpg

Central_Park_by_WinterCombatKnight.jpg

Central_Park_mixed_by_WinterCombatKnight.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    I find those much more interesting than your portraits

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey fellas just thought id post up my final portrait of COnan im handing up in class on thursday. Id do more but i have a ton of other work to do by the end of the week. I think its much better than when i started.

conanforprintbj9.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Still lacks contrast, especially on the face, which makes it look flat. I can see you've tried to improve it but you haven't taken it far enough.
    I wish I had the time to do an over paint to give you some clues, but you need to be more heavy handed in your shaded areas, darken up the shaded colours to provide a bigger spread between light and dark. It'll make it look more three dimensional.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Still lacks contrast, especially on the face, which makes it look flat. I can see you've tried to improve it but you haven't taken it far enough.
    I wish I had the time to do an over paint to give you some clues, but you need to be more heavy handed in your shaded areas, darken up the shaded colours to provide a bigger spread between light and dark. It'll make it look more three dimensional.

Thanks mate. Id like to add more to it but i think i'll leave it and apply what ive learnt to a new piece. If you ever get a chance to do an over paint id like to see it. AND I CAN HAND THAT UP FOR UNI!!!

maybe not. Cheers again.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    nothingmonothingmo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Cheers for your great work

nothingmo on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The upside down triangle shape of Conan's head, the lines on his face, and his bone structure are critical, I think. Basically, do those better.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    G'day fellas. Just uploading my final self-portrait for my illustration class at uni. Considering that i spent many hours going in circles im quite happy with how it turned out. It was done using acrylics, which i have never used in my life before this (except short studies with fruit).

Process this afternoon.

processrx5.jpg

Final i just finished tonight. Definately needs work but im done with it.

finalsi0.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You have not even come close to capturing the expression in the picture. Try and pay more attention to the subtleties of the facial features.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    You have not even come close to capturing the expression in the picture. Try and pay more attention to the subtleties of the facial features.

Very true. It's very muddy at the moment as well. I've only just started to understand how mixing colours work. I have to hand this up this morning. I've had alot of trouble with using acrylics and for that i'm pleased with how this has turned out. No way does it look good, but i'm more happy with this than i am with my Conan photoshop painting. Cheers for the comment mate :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd like to see some of your sketches.
    I'm just wondering whether it's the medium that's giving you trouble, or whether your having issues with the structures themselves. I'm just getting the feeling that your missing a few of the basics that are killing you in these big pieces. By the way you really need to work on your noses.

Mustang on