As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it was.
    Now, we just need a similar Jackson cameo in Hulk, and we'll be cooking with gas.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm guessing that after the credits of each of the movies leading up to the Avengers movie, we're going to see Nick Fury recruiting the character. And it will be AWESOME.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the best superhero movie they've done so far, followed by the first Spiderman. Frankly, if I lived in the Marvel universe, and was a criminal, the moment I saw Iron Man's picture in the paper, I'd say "screw it", and do something else. That mask would be scary as hell.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it was.
    Now, we just need a similar Jackson cameo in Hulk, and we'll be cooking with gas.

well speaking of cameos in the new hulk movie...
    apparently RDJ as tony stark makes a cameo some time during the film

Guek on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    101 million dollars.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    *cues slow clap*

Guek on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Over $200 million worldwide in its first weekend. Pretty impressive considering its entire production budget was only $140 million.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I had a nerd-gasam after the credits.

So did a bunch of people at my theater. Audible nerd-gasams that made it so we couldn't fucking her what was said. Something about
    "You think you are the only super hero?" and "the Avenger initiative."

Accualt on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will admit that I fist pumped and shouted "Woo!" when Sam Jackson stepped into the light.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I mean, do you really need to divine what the meaning of his appearance was?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I liked the glitchy Jarvis that prefaced Fury's appearance.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If they make the Nick Fury movie be an Ultimate Nick Fury story, it cannot possibly fail. Ultimate Nick Fury is like the baddest ass completely normal man in the Marvel Universe.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    If they make the Nick Fury movie be an Ultimate Nick Fury story, it cannot possibly fail. Ultimate Nick Fury is like the baddest ass completely normal man in the Marvel Universe.

I think Marvel all ready knows that Ultimate Nick is better then 616.
    That's why we got Sam Jackson in the movie.

Edit -
    My wife asked me if that was Nick Fury when the S.H.I.E.L.D guy asked Pepper for an appointment. I told her no, because Fury is bad-ass. I was right. She doesn't read comics, so cut her some slack.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm hoping that Stark's cameo in Hulk will take the form of him and Fury showing up to enlist the aid of the Hulk, luring Banner with the promise of a potential cure.

DredZed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ultimate Nick Fury is not better than regular Nick Fury.

They are about equal footing, although considering what happaned to Ultimate Fury in Ultimate Power and Fury's impending return in Secret Invasion the regular Fury is about to pull ahead.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »

I think Marvel all ready knows that Ultimate Nick is better then 616.
    That's why we got Sam Jackson in the movie.

Edit -
    My wife asked me if that was Nick Fury when the S.H.I.E.L.D guy asked Pepper for an appointment. I told her no, because Fury is bad-ass. I was right. She doesn't read comics, so cut her some slack.

No. No I won't. Cause she fucking talked during the movie

I went on friday afternoon to see it, and I got seated next to a couple and their children. And from the beginning they started talking. I did a 'ssh', "SSH", to "Can you please shut up?" There's no reason to talk during a movie. Nonewhatsoever.

But man was Iron Man good. I kinda wished I hadn't been spoiled months ago about you know who showing up, but still, awesome moment. It's funny, cause when people started to leave during the credits, I kinda wanted to say "wait, don't go! something cool's going to happen!" But I didn't.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

They are about equal footing, although considering what happaned to Ultimate Fury in Ultimate Power and Fury's impending return in Secret Invasion the regular Fury is about to pull ahead.

Which Nick Fury said, "I'm wondering that when I get to up those pearly gates is God going to put up a fight, or just move over and let me sit down?"

The bad ass one did.

@noir_blood - She whispered it into my ear. Only bothering me and I whispered the answer into her ear.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DredZed wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Stark's cameo in Hulk will take the form of him and Fury showing up to enlist the aid of the Hulk, luring Banner with the promise of a potential cure.
    i've always loved the thought of a spidey or an iron man cameo in a hulk movie where they show up, yell "Stop, monstrous fiend!" and promptly gets kicked by hulk across the city

Guek on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This movie was pretty kick as but one thing really confused me...why the hell did the terrorists keep switching languages from Arabic to Hindi to some other language. Also, the captions for the most part were inaccurate, though they got the general dialog across.

variant on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think they were meant to be part of an international terrorist organization that transcended racial boundaries.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got to sit in front of the vocal lady that brought along her four toddlers.

To the 9 pm showing.

Awesome. :|

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I got lucky at my screening. The place was filled to capacity and none of the kids there were obnoxious plus no screaming babies.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, back up to the first page, the guy who played Lucius Voraneus might be playing Thor?

AWESOME.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think they were meant to be part of an international terrorist organization that transcended racial boundaries.

Yeah, the Ten Rings. It was even mentioned that they spoke a bunch of different languages. I imagine the Ten Rings will play a prominent role in the next Iron Man movie.

Accualt on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    there were two idiots beside me that felt the need to comment on literally every happening on the screen. i was about to ask them to be quiet when the woman sitting in front of them turned around and yelled "shut the fuck up already!"

i was pleased.

also, good movie.

Angry on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just saw Iron Man for the second time. Easily tied with Batman Begins for my favorite superhero movie ever. If this is the new direction Marvel's going with their live-action films, I say bring it on.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it was a great movie. I hadn't felt that satisfied watching a movie in the theaters in a long time.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Just looking at the 'we were all invited to talk about the plot' posts Millar and Bendis have put up, and from the looks of things Mandarin was supposed to be the original villain and Stane was going to be the bad guy in the sequel. I guess ol' Ten Rings will be in the next one, so the only question is how much money will it take to get Jet Li to play him?

Bogart on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    Just looking at the 'we were all invited to talk about the plot' posts Millar and Bendis have put up, and from the looks of things Mandarin was supposed to be the original villain and Stane was going to be the bad guy in the sequel. I guess ol' Ten Rings will be in the next one, so the only question is how much money will it take to get Jet Li to play him?

Fuck, no. Jet Li still can't enunciate english words properly. I'm Chinese myself and it still makes me cringe when he has english-speaking roles.

devoir on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ultimate Nick Fury has never been portrayed by David Hasselhoff.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ultimate Nick Fury has never been portrayed by David Hasselhoff.

This reminded me of RDJ's next role in Tropic Thunder. It brought a smile to my face to think of the Hoff done up in a similar fashion.

devoir on
  • Options
    TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Iron Man was definitely a good film. Head and shoulders above most superhero films. I don't know if I would say it was truly a GREAT film, but it was enjoyable.

And the casting was pure genius.

I have no complaints about the movie, which is quite unique when it comes to superhero films.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Now, we all know how badass it was to see Tony Stark mistaking Stan Lee for Hugh Hefner. Easily one of, if not Stan's best cameo.

But did anyone besides me catch in the credits:

"Stan Lee as Himself"

Fuck.

Yes.

On a related note, imagine Marvel's first buddy movie, starring Ultimate Nick Fury (Samuel L.), and Stan Lee.

Some things in this world are so epic, a man CANNOT think on them without cumming immediately.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Nabob wrote: »
    Totally awesome movie, the only complaint I have is I think they went a little over the top with the whole "millionaire playboy" thing at the beginning, it was fine and then that stripper pole rising out of the floor of his private plane just nudged it over the hill.

I hope the Wolverine movie is of this caliber, X3 makes me worry though. But I mean come on, they're putting Deadpool in it so it can't be terrible.

I really wish everyone who thinks X3 was terrible could see all the deleted scenes.

They don't make the movie incredible, but they make it consistent and fix the most major flaws (pacing and plot continuity).

There were scenes that explained where the brotherhood have been since X2, and what they've been doing. There were more scenes that presented and explained the development and production of the cure. There was a scene or two of beast actually doing sciency-things, and some more of him kicking ass. There were a bunch of scenes of altered dialog or extended battles that just made things flow so much better.

But the absolute best was the most radically different ending:
    Wolverine decides that he wants to stay and help continue the X-men, but after all that's happened, he's too shook up to stay. So he leaves, and reverts to his old self, ending up back at the bar from the first film.

A good movie was shot and processed, but it was edited into a broken film.

Where are you getting your information from? I actually know "someone" who worked on the film and actually saw a pre-theatre cut of the film with a different ending and that wasn't what I saw.

Sorry to derail, I'm just curious.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Marvel announces Avengers related movies: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=155942

wwtMask on
  • Options
    XinramXinram Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This film is fucking fantastic. Favourite comic book film to date? Very much so.

There were only like 10 people in the 450 capacity room (to be fair it was the earliest screening sunday morning) a couple of whom were obviously comics geeks, but only me and the three friends I brought along stayed till after the credits because I had read about it and told them to wait because I wanted to see it.

So worth it.

Xinram on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Marvel this morning released its First Quarter 2008 numbers this morning, and along with them, news that officially, an Iron Man sequel is slated for 2010 along with Thor, and two “Avenger-themed” movies in summer of 2011: Captain America (May) and The Avengers (July).

Oh lord, oooooooh lord. Please, Marvel, please!

Captain America movie all WW2, end it with him frozen in ice.
    The Avengers movie, halfway through it they find Cap.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Went and saw it again yesterday with another group, ended up going to a more expensive VIP cinema where we can order food and drink booze with the movie (drunk. The tony stark way to do this viewing!).

Other then the 16 year olds running the bar like it was a McDonalds ("ughh...so you want 2 shots of southern comfort, umgh...whats in that again? maaannn where do we keep those small glasses") there was one bonus, the air conditioning failed in the theater during the movie and it got kinda annoying with the leather layzboy seats but this resulted in the manager giving everyone free passes to come back again. Booyah, Iron Man is an awesome movie, but FREE Iron Man is even better.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kinda hope the Ant-man movie will come out by 2009 as all the good stuff doesn't happen till 2010. Gotta set up Ultron somehow. And the movie can't cost that much to make.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Judging by his location, I saw it in the same theatre as DraXXen (though my friends and I are cheap, so we didn't do the VIP thingy). Pretty awesome movie; don't know if there's anything more to say.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If the Cap movie is all about WW2, I insist that at least one scene be devoted to him punching out Hitler.

wwtMask on