Options

Mirror's Edge - PSN Demo 30th XBL Demo 31st

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God damn, I was thinking about it and realized that this is probably going to be the season for platformers.

We got;

Littlebigplanet, Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, and even the new Naruto game for the 360 has a bunch of platforming on it.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I set down a pre-order.

They didn't have a bag handy. :( But it will be MINE. I will travel the damn county to get my bag if need be.

yalborap on
  • Options
    hellobuddyhellobuddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have the bag because im awesome.

hellobuddy on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    holy shit

guys

http://kotaku.com/5078747/heres-your-mirrors-edge-launch-trailer

god-fucking-damn

keep an eye out for the mid-air zipline swap

YaYa on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    holy shit

guys

god-fucking-damn

Man, this is so bought twice.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    holy shit

guys

god-fucking-damn
    hmmm
    very last bit is her stomping on a guy, like Boss/M Bison. How? I'm guessing landing from a high jump?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That was a sweet trailer. Reminds me (a bit because of the music I think) of the Bionic Commando trailer.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought the original mirror's edge theme was perfect.

How in the name of God did they manage to make it better.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    holy shit

guys

god-fucking-damn

HD version/ embeded:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42454.html

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    holy shit

guys

god-fucking-damn
    hmmm
    very last bit is her stomping on a guy, like Boss/M Bison. How? I'm guessing landing from a high jump?

I've done that before actually

if you get enough speed/height off a wall run, jump towards a dude and kick at the last second it'll work

YaYa on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    good to know

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This kind of gameplay is why I still think Breakdown was important for the games industry. FP games should do something different than just 'have gun, kill everything'.

I still don't like FP games much, but that's because I hate not having peripheral vision and an inability to sense how my 'body' is interacting with the environment. And Mirror's Edge does that. And I'm still fucking getting this game!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This kind of gameplay is why I still think Breakdown was important for the games industry. FP games should do something different than just 'have gun, kill everything'.

I still don't like FP games much, but that's because I hate not having peripheral vision and an inability to sense how my 'body' is interacting with the environment. And Mirror's Edge does that. And I'm still fucking getting this game!

That's a problem I've had with the first person genre for a while. You don't control a person but rather a box with a camera in front. Backing into an edge or a pole brings you to a total stop. There's zero interaction between the box and its environment. It's just a bunch of collision boxes that stop when they run into each other. ME doesn't solve these issues, not by a long shot, but it is certainly a step in the right direction. And yes, the lack of peripheral vision and having to move the camera around like a crack addict on speed to check your surroundings is very annoying.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rakai wrote: »

That's a problem I've had with the first person genre for a while. You don't control a person but rather a box with a camera in front. Backing into an edge or a pole brings you to a total stop. There's zero interaction between the box and its environment. It's just a bunch of collision boxes that stop when they run into each other. ME doesn't solve these issues, not by a long shot, but it is certainly a step in the right direction. And yes, the lack of peripheral vision and having to move the camera around like a crack addict on speed to check your surroundings is very annoying.

outside of inventing a curved TV, how would you suggest they implement peripheral vision in FP games?

YaYa on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

outside of inventing a curved TV, how would you suggest they implement peripheral vision in FP games?
    No need to be glib about it. It's why I prefer 3rd-person gaming over 1st-person. The lack of peripheral vision in any game is problematic since I can see more just by looking at the TV. Both up and down.

It would help if I had a sense of actually controlling Faith, but we're not there yet either. I keep fucking up jumps because I simply have no way to tell where I'm at in relation to edges. I predict lots of falling to my death in the full game.

It's an obvious limitation with no easy solution. And it's still a valid concern/critique.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It would help if I had a sense of actually controlling Faith, but we're not there yet either. I keep fucking up jumps because I simply have no way to tell where I'm at in relation to edges. I predict lots of falling to my death in the full game.

It's an obvious limitation with no easy solution. And it's still a valid concern/critique.

Except it's very easy to tell where your feet are, they're directly below your vision. Timing hitting the edge took me all of 5 minutes of practice, once you're used to how far past the bottom of the screen you need to let the edge go before falling off, it's second nature. Sounds more like your problem than one with the game.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That trailer... wow. Just wow.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Except it's very easy to tell where your feet are, they're directly below your vision. Timing hitting the edge took me all of 5 minutes of practice, once you're used to how far past the bottom of the screen you need to let the edge go before falling off, it's second nature. Sounds more like your problem than one with the game.

Yeah I didn't have any time judging when I should jump and was doing really well, even on my first play through. I guess to each there own

Dixon on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, that's how you do a demo. I was on the fence about this game, but the demo has me ready to pick it up day 1.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Available tomorrow for us Silver-using paupers, right?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, if you'll notice, Mirror's Edge has a much wider field of vision than your average FPS game...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Impressive, but I feel sorry for the motion sickness-prone people who try that.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So is there a place we can pick up the theme song to this game legally? Or at least a version of it?

edit: nm first youtube result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5CD6Yv8a4

edit edit: Lyrics and download are at that youtube address. The song is called still alive. :rotate:

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

A.Sony Glasstron gets an HD version

B. Two cameras, FOV like that of an actual eye, eyelids variable.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    So is there a place we can pick up the theme song to this game legally? Or at least a version of it?

edit edit: Lyrics and download are at that youtube address. The song is called still alive. :rotate:

First part of the puzzle, now I need to get my hands on that remix!

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »

I'm trying, no luck so far. Just a couple terrible fan-made ones so far.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »

I'm trying, no luck so far. Just a couple terrible fan-made ones so far.

Yea, I looked up the one done by Armand Van Helden like in the trailer and it seems spot on but the first half is, well... strange. It features a dog barking in the background among many other strange sounds.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've decided I'm gonna hit up the local Gamestop and see if I can still get a pre-order bag.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still think it's sort of lame that they called the song Still Alive

I mean I'm sure that the artist just thought it was a good name, it's not like EA was all "call it Still Alive so we can be more like Portal"

Still sorta lame

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

I mean I'm sure that the artist just thought it was a good name, it's not like EA was all "call it Still Alive so we can be more like Portal"

Still sorta lame

Why is it sorta lame? Plenty of different songs have the same name. Just don't associate it with Portal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so how is the demo?

a bit off like AC, or pretty good?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Barcardi wrote: »
    so how is the demo?

Why not try it and find out?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so how is the demo?

I think it's great.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so how is the demo?

no xbox live at the moment

Barcardi on
  • Options
    MoppetMoppet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so how is the demo?

no xbox live at the moment
    It's soooo good! I've never played a game like this before. I still can't get over the feeling of weight/mass.

I like playing the tutorial and if you avoid going near Celeste you can actually roam around all over the place (go near her and the tutorial starts and they make it real linear and block stuff off). It's really relaxing to explore and get a good flow going without bullets going off and people chasing you. Time trial is a different story, the opposite of relaxing. @#(&#$@(^&!

Moppet on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Still sorta lame

Why is it sorta lame? Plenty of different songs have the same name. Just don't associate it with Portal.

I dunno

I guess lame is the wrong word

"Weird" seems better

Two big budget video games coming out within two years of each other that have a song called Still Alive as like their main theme

That's weird

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Also, the Amazon mp3 store has it. Sadly you can't dl'ed it till the 1th.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hows abouts you all get it now, for free?

http://www.on-mirrors-edge.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=1

Edit: Well, just the remixes.

Piggo on