As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Serious business:
    2612546268_08825cd14a.jpg

Comedy Option:
    2611711837_27101318d9.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man Anable, fuckin' awesome shot! Contrast is sexcellent.

Joke option also made me laugh pretty heartily :lol:

Prospicience on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anable wrote: »
    What's the widest angle you have?

The 17-40mm f/4.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Prosp! I was pretty happy with it myself.
    saltiness wrote: »

The 17-40mm f/4.

The 17mm does me pretty well. Are you just looking for the distortion effect or something else?

anable on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Before I put these up, I'm going to go ahead and say that the mid-day mountain sun can die in a fire. :x:x

TwistyRoad.jpg

BigTree.jpg

Well-Thing.jpg

Antennae.jpg

Stick.jpg

Fireplace.jpg

Scraps1.jpg

Lawnmower.jpg

WhitneyCamera.jpg

Bully.jpg
    I believe this is a bronze statue that glorifies bullying.

Snappy.jpg
    And I would like to submit that 50-pound snapping turtles are more difficult to photograph than wolf spiders *or* kittens.

Mountainsunset.jpg
    And some cooler colors.

An-D on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    An-D wrote: »
    Before I put these up, I'm going to go ahead and say that the mid-day mountain sun can die in a fire. :x:x

pictures

And I would like to submit that 50-pound snapping turtles are more difficult to photograph than wolf spiders *or* kittens.

What happened with all that wreckage? Fire? Earthquake?

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Uberslug wrote: »

pictures

What happened with all that wreckage? Fire? Earthquake?

It was a pretty sweet abandoned house that was like a mile or so off campus. I was showing it to a friend, and...well, looked like it had been burnt down. Probably by some college students (nearby woods looked damaged by fire...didn't seem controlled...and there are *no* roads or good paths there for a fire fighter brigade).

Before it was torn down, my friends and I discovered the house belonged to a one "Geneva Buchanan" (there is a dorm named 'Buchanan' on the WCU campus). We found this by going through her mail that was left all over the place (the house was trashed). She died in the 1990s, from (we assume) a liver condition. Why a liver condition? We found liver medication in the house. We're also pretty sure she was a substitute teacher (I think we found mail or googled information about her). I have a hilarious video about this...I'll link it when I find it. :winky:

But yeah, I got some sweet pictures of burnt scraps.

*edit* Spoiler for link to random semi-relevant youtube video

An-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Prosp! I was pretty happy with it myself.

The 17-40mm f/4.

The 17mm does me pretty well. Are you just looking for the distortion effect or something else?

Yeah it's just not wide enough for me on a crop camera. I'm planning on getting a 5D mk2 but who knows when that will come out so I'm thinking of just getting the 10-20mm to tide me over until then and I'll just resell it when I get the 5D.

saltiness on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cullowhee looks just like most of southwest Virginia. Very pretty.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A few shots from Disney last weekend. I have nearly 300 shots so kinda going through these a bit at a time.

Here's 2 from the stunts show at Hollywood Studios.

2613124676_afdf5a04e7.jpg

2612291081_1f25927356.jpg

Veritas on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't posted in a couple months, but I'd appreciate critiques on some portraits I took recently.

2609104943_11a0875edc.jpg

2612116030_6cb2941e9c.jpg

2612116870_432804ae30.jpg

2611280373_123973ec20.jpg

fogeyman on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really like that first one, but I'd crop out the bottom. Having "Canon" down there really takes away from the vibe I think, and it's pretty distracting.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Stick.jpg

I'm curious how you got this effect. Did you rotate the camera while taking the shot?
    I believe this is a bronze statue that glorifies bullying.

That's actually pretty amusing.
    Veritas wrote: »
    2612291081_1f25927356.jpg

That's a pretty fantastic pan. I haven't played with panning really at all and this is a great example of the sense of motion it can give.
    I really like that first one, but I'd crop out the bottom. Having "Canon" down there really takes away from the vibe I think, and it's pretty distracting.

I have to disagree! The lighting is pretty awesome to begin with, but the Canon stands out and makes the portrait somewhat more interesting to me. It gives it an almost creepy voyeur vibe. Unless that isn't at all what you were going for in which case you should definitely crop it....

anable on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for enjoying the photos, dudes!
    bomb: The lynx picture is incredible! Did you just stumble upon a lynx or did it belong to someone? I love the lynx, the stairs (in a cave?) and the lone stump in the middle. Poland is pretty spiffy.

The lynx was at an animal reserve so it wasn't exactly like I was stalking it in the woods for weeks, though nobody would know! Also the photo is pretty heavily cropped, the full size is maybe twice as big, so not that big.

The cave stuff is actually a salt mine about 100+ meters below ground, there's churches and cathedrals and everything carved out down there, this is the site for it: http://www.kopalnia.pl/home.php?action=&id_language=2&

Here's some more photos of it (spoilered for huge):
    saltcathedral.jpg

saltmine.jpg

The second one was a series of parts lit up (so long exposure) while they played some Chopin music. Very, very awesome. And the air down there is amazing too.
    Damn bombs those are beautiful man. The greens are amazing, especially in the moss. And you should definitely submit that lynx to that National Geographic competition, it'd be a great entry.

It's amazing what lightroom can do. I was getting really annoyed with being 'EVERYTHING IS SO GREEN WHY DOESNT IT LOOK LIKE THAT ON THE COMPUTER AAAAAAH' but then I figured out how to use split toning which basically makes the highlights not white, hence giving it that awesome green you see in person. If you pick up the Planet Earth book, there's a few photos from the same forest in it. What National Geo competition do you speak of? I'd feel kind of bad since it's heavily cropped like I said and it was just sitting in a pen.

And thanks Pope, I'll be leaving the EXIF stuff in now, wooo lightroom. And yeah, aperture priority is used 99% of the time. I'll only switch to manual if I'm in a tricky area where the light metering can be all wacky.

Oh yeah, here's a few more from the Tetra mountains in the South and one from Torun, the city where Copernicus is from! Now I finally have a 'one tree hill' photo under my belt. But mine has cool mountains ok SHUT UP.

zakopanebarn.jpg

zakopanefield.jpg

oneway.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This one! www.nationalgeographic.com/energizer

And that cathedral looks like it was quite the experience chandeliers and all, very awesome I would imagine.

And I don't think it would matter that the lynx was in a pen, I think they'd understand that not everyone can catch sight of a wild animals in their natural habitat. I dunno though, I don't remember reading anything about it in the rules but I could be wrong.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That cathedral is pretty awesome but out of those I really like this one. Simple but excellent. I almost wish the tree was in line with the bottom of that valley between the ridges like I want to scoot it over a bit but nonetheless I love it.
    bombardier wrote: »

zakopanefield.jpg

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Stick.jpg

I'm curious how you got this effect. Did you rotate the camera while taking the shot?

Nothing special as far as I know. My hands were a bit shaky, and I was tripod-less, so I was trying to just time breathing, hand-shaking with the picture-taking. Thats the effect I ended up with.

That or the stick is just magic. o_O

Nonetheless, enjoy this colorful plaza with assorted cement bricks that I discovered:

ColorPlaza2.jpg

An-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nothing special as far as I know. My hands were a bit shaky, and I was tripod-less, so I was trying to just time breathing, hand-shaking with the picture-taking. Thats the effect I ended up with.

That or the stick is just magic. o_O

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I could swear that the bokeh has a counter-clockwise spin to it. It's pretty neat regardless.

anable on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the link, prosp. I'll check it out. Edit: whoooops, USA ONLY AS USUAL. I think I saw that before actually and closed it pretty quickly once I saw the USA only thing. Ugh.
    Veritas wrote: »
    That cathedral is pretty awesome but out of those I really like this one. Simple but excellent. I almost wish the tree was in line with the bottom of that valley between the ridges like I want to scoot it over a bit but nonetheless I love it.

Haha yeah, I was trying to get it there but I was on a chairlift so it was basically a one shot deal and I missed. I guess I could have done the whole 'holding down the shutter button and hope one hits' thing buuuuuut it almost feels like cheating. I don't know. I keep thinking that the viewer would know that stuff, yet all they know is the final result.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's been forever since I've posted anything (damn school), but here's some new stuff. Now I won't have a camera again for the summer, but I've got a bunch of stuff I need to sort through still. Anyway, here's some of what I've got so far.

I realise that this picture is over contasted as shit, but it's not something I do often, and I quite like it this time.
    Basketball_by_TheMagnumDash.jpg

I was bored and decided to do some experimentation. This is completely unedited.
    Funky_Lights_by_TheMagnumDash.jpg

My uncle got this dog not a long time ago and wanted me to take some pictures of it. I'm not very experienced in this type of thing and wanted to know what people thought. I realise that there is a lot of empty space on the right, but I kind of like it that way. Good/bad choice?
    It__s_a_dog__by_TheMagnumDash.jpg

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's been forever since I've posted anything (damn school), but here's some new stuff. Now I won't have a camera again for the summer, but I've got a bunch of stuff I need to sort through still. Anyway, here's some of what I've got so far.

I realise that this picture is over contasted as shit, but it's not something I do often, and I quite like it this time.
    Basketball_by_TheMagnumDash.jpg

I was bored and decided to do some experimentation. This is completely unedited.
    Funky_Lights_by_TheMagnumDash.jpg

My uncle got this dog not a long time ago and wanted me to take some pictures of it. I'm not very experienced in this type of thing and wanted to know what people thought. I realise that there is a lot of empty space on the right, but I kind of like it that way. Good/bad choice?
    It__s_a_dog__by_TheMagnumDash.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks pope!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As far as the last pic goes: the open space on the right doesn't seem to add anything to the picture...at least: it doesn't for me.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I'm so tempted right now to buy that Sigma 10-20mm, I haven't had real wide angle since April.

Have you checked on the Tokina 12-24? I've got one on the way. They've also got a 11-16 that just came out. It's f/2.8 and, by many accounts, is sharper than the Nikon 12-24.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

I took these last night, and managed to piss myself off royally when I realised I'd shot them at ISO 800 when I could've gotten away with 1 or 2. Don't seem as they did when I first looked at them though.

Marcus: The background does nothing for that dog picture.

An-D : If you'd concentrated on just the tiles, blue fence and red floor I think you'd have much stronger image than the one you've got there... maybe even move that breeze block?

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Man, I'm so tempted right now to buy that Sigma 10-20mm, I haven't had real wide angle since April.

Have you checked on the Tokina 12-24? I've got one on the way. They've also got a 11-16 that just came out. It's f/2.8 and, by many accounts, is sharper than the Nikon 12-24.

Ahh, I forgot about the Tokina 12-24 and it looks like I can get it cheaper than the Sigma 10-20, I'll have to look into that.

saltiness on
  • Options
    Steve BennettSteve Bennett Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not a photographer by any means.. but I was browsing my photos recently and found this I took of a sunset when I was driving one evening. Figured I'd share it, cuz I like landscapes and I kinda like this one. No post-processing or anything like that. Location is a country road in Ontario, Canada, about 100km east of Toronto.

IMG_0352.jpg

Steve Bennett on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Very neat Steve, but we fight people with knives that spoiler.

It kinda reminds me of the Obama campaign logo...

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Very neat Steve, but we fight people with knives that spoiler...

Fixed now... sorry, some people knife-stick ppl that don't spoiler. Got my forum etiquette mixed up I guess.

Steve Bennett on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not a photographer by any means.. but I was browsing my photos recently and found this I took of a sunset when I was driving one evening. Figured I'd share it, cuz I like landscapes and I kinda like this one. No post-processing or anything like that. Location is a country road in Ontario, Canada, about 100km east of Toronto.

*Image of beautiful sunset and familiar road*

I swear I know this road, which one is it?

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Very neat Steve, but we fight people with knives that spoiler...

Fixed now... sorry, some people knife-stick ppl that don't spoiler. Got my forum etiquette mixed up I guess.

I think the AC is one of the few unspoilered places on ze boards.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BladeX wrote: »

Northumberland County Road 9, between Highway 28 (Port Hope) and Highway 45 (Cobourg), a bit east of Bewedly.

Steve Bennett on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jake - #3 is totally YAY!!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wah, I am going to Guatemala for a month doing volunteer type work stuff and it is pretty there and I want to bring my camera, but it is also one of the places with the highest crime in the world... and 4th highest murder rate in the world... and lots of armed bandits.

What should I do? What camera should I bring that isn't my big conspicuous D-SLR that will get me mugged?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Canon G9. It's a point-n-shoot with all manual features and RAW capabilities. It's like an SLR w/o the lenses.

Also, Bombs, I LOVE that pic that Veritas quoted. Fuckin' badass.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BladeX wrote: »

Northumberland County Road 9, between Highway 28 (Port Hope) and Highway 45 (Cobourg), a bit east of Bewedly.

Ah ok, explains why I know the road! I've been on it enough times.

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Canon G9. It's a point-n-shoot with all manual features and RAW capabilities. It's like an SLR w/o the lenses.
    Hmm, if I only I had the cash. That looks so perfectly compact and discreet and awesome... hmm...
    I really don't know what to do. I think it's a terrible idea to bring my SLR there, that I know. I don't want people with guns to mug me.

I may just have to see if I can borrow someone's point and shoot.... I dunno. Someday I should save up for something like that G9 though, that looks like something good to carry around just in case a photo opportunity arises.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, if I only I had the cash. That looks so perfectly compact and discreet and awesome... hmm...
    I really don't know what to do. I think it's a terrible idea to bring my SLR there, that I know. I don't want people with guns to mug me.

I may just have to see if I can borrow someone's point and shoot.... I dunno. Someday I should save up for something like that G9 though, that looks like something good to carry around just in case a photo opportunity arises.

I would say it's a terrible idea if you aren't going with a huge group a la Peace Corps or something like that. It isn't going to just be you and a backpack, is it?

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I would say it's a terrible idea if you aren't going with a huge group a la Peace Corps or something like that. It isn't going to just be you and a backpack, is it?
    Nah, I'm going with a group through a program, but man... I am kind of scared. The most 3rd worldish place I've been before that was India, and that isn't dangerous at all compared to a country whose civil war ended a decade ago.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Maybe a powershot sd1000 or sd750 or something?

Those are a lot less expensive. Also less manual and JPG only, but the image quality is fine. Some of my best pics were on my Powershot SD550 before I cracked its LCD.

erisian pope on
This discussion has been closed.