As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just spent like 30 minutes in my mom's garden trying to catch a bee flying next to a flower. There's bee's everywhere... and yet I couldn't catch any in flight, bastards are fast.

I always have that problem with bugs. Sometimes beetles are not very prone to flying away and I can catch them doing whatever they do though. Went hiking this afternoon and snapped a couple of photos along the way.

The Cascades:
    2622693492_162133fa31.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anable wrote: »
    So my brother is planning to take over a third world country.

2620386012_86e3c1af76.jpg

Hmm...You know, the primarily-yellow tone means that when it's large enough to see the noise, it actually kinda HELPS the photo. Makes it seem sandy, very middle-eastern and such.

I'm not sure how I feel about the huge amount of empty space. It draws your attention to the subject, but feels almost...Wasted. I don't know, I'm just talking out of my ass.

On another note, I've been thinking of experimenting with semi-macro photography. This, however, has led to a question: Since what I want to do is scale trickery by using models and figurines and such to represent a semi-real world, what's the legality if I eventually want to try and sell such a shot? Say I make an elaborate scene in Legos, photograph it, then sell it. Am I breaking the law in any way by profiting through the use of a copyrighted product?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, how do you guys generally go about organizing your photos and uploading them to Flickr?

I find that even though I take a lot of photos, all in RAW for the most part, I then only end up editing some in Lightroom, and upload even fewer to Flickr. I need some good ideas about how to organize my workflow, what labels and tags and flags to use, and how best to go about this.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, how do you guys generally go about organizing your photos and uploading them to Flickr?

I find that even though I take a lot of photos, all in RAW for the most part, I then only end up editing some in Lightroom, and upload even fewer to Flickr. I need some good ideas about how to organize my workflow, what labels and tags and flags to use, and how best to go about this.
    I use their uploadr, give them vague enough tags so they show up whenever someone is looking for pictures of the city I've taken them in or even the country/state. Additional tags as deemed appropriate. That's about it, really.

Aldo on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't use flickr.

O_O

erisian pope on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    I use their uploadr, give them vague enough tags so they show up whenever someone is looking for pictures of the city I've taken them in or even the country/state. Additional tags as deemed appropriate. That's about it, really.

Why not just geotag them? You can find 90% of my photos on the map.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    An-D wrote: »
    An-D wrote: »
    Random question. I want to go skydiving (school does it every fall, 120 bucks and you get a camping trip + jump out of plane, seems spiffy) and I want to take pictures whilst I do it. So...advice.

Should I just buy a disposable? Has anyone done this before? Should I try if its my first time jumping?

I wanted to do the same thing my first time around, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. You have no pocket access in the air so you have to have something around your neck that will most likely hit you in the face when you first jump. You might get a few shots while in the air, but remember that you're steering, so it's kinda like driving and trying to take pictures at the same time. I would just have the person jumping after you take a few and then picket them and then family/friend on the ground. That's about as good as it gets.

From what I read about the school's system, if its your first time, you gotta do it tandem with an instructor attached to you ( :winky::winky: )....so I'm assuming they're going to be doing all the work on this run. Not sure how free my hands will be because of it...

Still...not recommended?

I'm fairly certain that only in specific areas can you jump out with loose equipment such as cameras, bikes, what have you. Most skydivers actually have an in helmet camera they use to film with because you kind of need your hands when free falling. I'm pretty sure they won't let you take the camera, it's too dangerous. Even tandem you will have to use your hands, plus the wind pressure during free fall is intense, not to mention the abrupt stop when the rip cord gets pulled. You might pull it off once the chute has opened, I know some skydivers that bring beers up on the last jump of the day, pull the chute high and watch the sunset with a beer. But these are guys with thousands of jumps underneath them...they know what they're doing.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

You could also use this plug-in to directly upload to flickr. As far as tags go, I just have general tags that reference the type of shot it is. Blackandwhite or sunset or zoo. Stuff like that. Also, as Gaf mentioned, you can geotag them, though I'm personally too lazy for all that. I just put the state or major city as a tag myself.

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Why not just geotag them? You can find 90% of my photos on the map.

I was trying that, but couldn't find the cities i visited. Maybe I'll try again once I have nothing else to do.

Aldo on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hi, I took these pictures on the summit of Mt Haleakala on Maui at sunrise. I really had no idea what I was doing as far as exposure goes so I was adjusting it and taking a million pictures to see what worked and what didn't. The splice was the first one I have done--just used the software that Canon gives you for free. I didn't have a tripod, so that obviously didn't help things.

Anyway, on a a related note, does anyone know of a website that I can order odd-sized prints from? Thanks!

ps-sorry they are huge, I can't figure out how to make them smaller.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Hi, I took these pictures on the summit of Mt Haleakala on Maui at sunrise. I really had no idea what I was doing as far as exposure goes so I was adjusting it and taking a million pictures to see what worked and what didn't. The splice was the first one I have done--just used the software that Canon gives you for free. I didn't have a tripod, so that obviously didn't help things.

Anyway, on a a related note, does anyone know of a website that I can order odd-sized prints from? Thanks!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Your links aren't working.

Edit: Nevermind!

The first two don't do anything for me, but that last one is aces.

anable on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your links aren't working.

Edit: Nevermind!

The first two don't do anything for me, but that last one is aces.

Seconded

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    ACsemperfiACsemperfi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

If you open the pics with simple ol' MS paint and go to "Image" resize is the second option down.

ACsemperfi on
    If you wait til the last minute to do something, it only takes a minute to do.
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Edit: Poot: I really like the guy boxing near the shore, is that San Fran?

Thanks for the comment! And no, it was taken in Kirkland, WA overlooking Lake Washington towards the Bellevue/Seattle area.

Poot on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Went to the glacier over the weekend. Let me know what you think.

SaturdayCont-2.jpg

GlacierCont-4.jpg

Glacier-2.jpg

GlacierCont-3.jpg

Glacier-3.jpg

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Long, I'm sorry, but Alaska looks pretty boring.
    Jealous!

anable on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Long, the last shot blows all the others away. Gorgeous!!!!!

Runningman, I totally agree with Anable. Last shot is very nice.

Here's what the naughty bits look like on a Huernia macrocarpa:

IMG_4496.jpg

(shot with only natural light)

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Argh! Long I really like the last 3 shots. That last one though, like pope said, is amazing man.

Pope: Cool flower, I like the texture.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the feedback! You have no idea how many shots I took panning across the horizon--so many came out too dark or too washed out, or something else was off so that the program wouldn't combine them.

Does anyone know of a website that will do odd-sized prints? I have a photo printer but it's temperamental to say the least. I want to print that shot of the horizon, but I haven't found a place that can do something like that. I don't need it huge, but I also don't want to have to crop it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This particular beast was referred to by the locals as "Big Momma"

2627376946_79c5ffc25a_o.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Great contrast on that anable. I love it.

Poot on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Indeed, the eyes are something else.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Long, the last shot blows all the others away. Gorgeous!!!!!

Runningman, I totally agree with Anable. Last shot is very nice.

also, loving the naughty bits pope.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Anable - it is beastly indeed! Aweseome!!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man,

I have to say, you guys have been taking some brilliant stuff. I've not been around for about 15+ pages but damn, I'm jealous of all the improvements!

Runningman, that last panoramic is awesome.

Whoever took the shots of the ghost town (the Black and white) was excellent.

I finally took some shots I'm proud of. It seems I only do this when around friends at a party or something (weird...). Anyhow, what do you guys think?

2624727197_45d56bd888.jpg

2625548510_b947da5f98.jpg

2625545286_5b5a28b6d0.jpg

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think the Jameson one would have looked better if you had either added the top of the bottle to the pic and leave some space up there OR if you cut off the bottle lower, so it looks like you actually intended to do that. The cold blue background is a nice contrast for the warm green of the bottle.

Pictures of the lady are awesome.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I agree! The lady shots are indeed great altman, they remind me of a lotion commercial or just some kickass beauty shots.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The second lady shot would be an awesome abstract, if you cropped it right below the straps. It'd be an interesting, offset X shape against a textured surface. The viewer would need to look for a few second before realizing it was skin, and then a few more seconds to identify its place on the body and the identity of the straps. It's already a great photo, though -- that's just how I would crop that one.

gilrain on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some photos I took while sailing outside San Diego over the weekend. The pictures were shot with an awful old digital camera, so the quality is somewhat subpar. I still wanted to share them.

A carrier in front of San Diego. I like the size disparity in this photo.
    Carrier-City.jpg

Some shots taken while we were under way. I tried to convey the angle of the boat in relation to the water, but I couldn't quite capture it, and I was short on time, since I was manning a jib sheet.
    CrashMed.jpg

SplashMed.jpg

A brig. I think.
    BrigMed.jpg

Carnival Cruise Liner Elation leaving port...
    ElationMed.jpg

An amateurishly framed shot of a fishing trawler. Note that this boat apparently travels with its own flock of seagulls.
    TackMed.jpg

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Some photos I took while sailing outside San Diego over the weekend. The pictures were shot with an awful old digital camera, so the quality is somewhat subpar. I still wanted to share them.

My H-scroll is crying. If you could make those smaller and unspoiler them, the thread would <3 you forever.

anable on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Give me moment.

/russian

EDIT: Done. Hopefully 800 wide is okay.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just started using my dad's old film camera. I went out in the forest and took some pictures. This is my first try with film, so tell me what you think.

logyh4.jpg

trailtr6.jpg

wfve7.jpg

wf2sz5.jpg

So far, I'm really liking the colors and values that film has, but the process of taking a picture is lengthened.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So basically in short I hate all of you that live near awesome natural areas. Vegas is chock full of neat buildings, but who the hell wants to take pictures of metal and glass? Not me.

Slug, I think that last picture looks awesome. Maybe too much light? I don't know, but I think it looks great,

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So basically in short I hate all of you that live near awesome natural areas. Vegas is chock full of neat buildings, but who the hell wants to take pictures of metal and glass? Not me.

Slug, I think that last picture looks awesome. Maybe too much light? I don't know, but I think it looks great,

Urban photography is just as much fun as nature for me, albeit a little tougher in my opinion.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Urban photography is just as much fun as nature for me, albeit a little tougher in my opinion.

That and you can get in a car and get some pretty decent desert and desolate landscape shots in that area, if so inclined. If you're inclined to go hiking then you can always find something to shoot. That, and if you're into hunting night life, then you live in a good area for that.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »

That and you can get in a car and get some pretty decent desert and desolate landscape shots in that area, if so inclined. If you're inclined to go hiking then you can always find something to shoot. That, and if you're into hunting night life, then you live in a good area for that.

Seriously. Some of my favorite pictures are sandscape.

anable on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah....vegas desert pretty much isn't anything like that, although Red Rocks is right there. I try and photo some every time I'm there (which is usually once a week), it sucks because there isn't a whole lot of soul to the town, but I finally did find some old craftsman homes off the 15 that are chock full of flavor, so I'm looking to get those this week.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wideopen.jpg

Hello, [photo].

MKR on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just started using my dad's old film camera. I went out in the forest and took some pictures. This is my first try with film, so tell me what you think.

logyh4.jpg

trailtr6.jpg

wfve7.jpg

wf2sz5.jpg

I'm moving this because the bottom of the last page isn't getting much attention. :P

Uberslug on
This discussion has been closed.