As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did you dudes hear, 4th of July came early this year

2630528334_67270b9f1f_o.jpg

I hope nobody missed it!

Sheri on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sheri, excellent shot! I'd normally say, "Meh, fireworks, long exposure, blah blah blah." However, the colorful, whimsical surroundings (Disney Land, or Disney World?) really help, and they not-your-standard-weeping-willow-style firework is fantastic, right down to the perfect starburst at its center.

:^:

(I do feel like the shot is slightly tilted, though. I am crazy about tilt.)

gilrain on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uberslug wrote: »
    I just started using my dad's old film camera. I went out in the forest and took some pictures. This is my first try with film, so tell me what you think.

I'm moving this because the bottom of the last page isn't getting much attention. :P

I like the texture of the second one, very nice.

Jake! on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I already commented on Sheri's flickr, but I love the shot anyway. perfect exposure for the fireworks too.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sheri - Very pretty!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The picture of the sunset on the left-hand page is mine, published in Utah Valley Magazine for the July/August issue --

http://www.uvmag.com/julyaugust08/20_21.htm

Tiny little thumbnail, but it's my picture and my name in print! And I need to get my website up PRONTO

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Very cool, Pilcrow!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pilcrow wrote: »
    The picture of the sunset on the left-hand page is mine, published in Utah Valley Magazine for the July/August issue --

http://www.uvmag.com/julyaugust08/20_21.htm

Tiny little thumbnail, but it's my picture and my name in print! And I need to get my website up PRONTO

Wooo! Go pilcrow!

Sheri: Beautiful shot, I dunno what else to say. The composition is great with the castle and the little bubble building on the right though,

Prospicience on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MKR - I'm glad to see you taking pictures again. I'm a sucker for paths/roads so I'm digging that curve. The shot is a little bland other than that though. Might try bumping up the saturation/contrast.

Slug - That second shot looks like it's straight out of a 70's biology book. Crazy vintage feel to it.

Sheri - Like everyone already said, that's a really great shot.

anable on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anable wrote: »
    Slug - That second shot looks like it's straight out of a 70's biology book. Crazy vintage feel to it.

Haha, well the camera is 26 years old.

meetut5.jpg
    Here's another one.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The road shot seems to be unsalvageable, but I'll be heading that way again on the 9th when I go to the campus to get my books.

Meanwhile:
    angle.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The color seems to greeny/yellowy in all of these, Uber. I think you should try different film, or a different lab. I'd also work on the exposure/contrast. I've used old film cameras, and unless you've got a light-leakage problem, you should be able to get results as sharp and well-exposed as modern cameras, with a little work.

The "vintage" look is, eh, neat I guess. They're not doing too much for me, and I feel the camera is being unjustly credited with them. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A shot I took of the SF Airport's International Terminal using my holga 120mm. Note, for a plastic lens with basically shit-all technology, it's a fairly sharp pic.

2631958318_41d5753560_b.jpg

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    The skies are so clear and dark at night here in Poland, I am going to try some astrophotography tonight, excited!

Also I am thinking of actually finally printing some of my photos and making a portfolio and this prospect is quite intimidating. I have never even printed any of my photos which always sounds strange to say.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I kind of want to do the same thing; I just don't really know how to go about it. I also want to frame and mat some things for hanging on the wall. I'd really like to get an exceedingly large print of that waterfall I put up a few pages back. It's 3000x10000, so it should be pretty decent in a larger format; I just don't know where to go to get that done without spending a good deal.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I tried printing my own photos once... boy was it a mess. Getting propper colors on paper was maddening.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    if you have a flickr account, i recommend trying their "order prints" it's easy and they deliver them (or you can pick them up from Target that day (but they don't do as good a job).

I recommend getting small prints of a lot, then printing larger versions of the ones you like.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There's a local camera store here in Austin called Precision Camera. They do prints there. I printed several photos as Christmas presents. It was easy and the prints were good and the price was low. There's no reason for me to ever deal with printing my own, I won't even save much money (factoring both ink and paper in). Their website has a printer profile for their printers that I downloaded and installed into photoshop. Then I could save the image using their profile, checked and made sure it looked how I wanted, and when they printed it was exactly identical. Painless, easy, inexpensive, and good quality.

So check your area for a local camera dealer (not ritz/wolf) and see if they do prints. It might be worth your while.

Or, if you want, you can have Precision print for you and then mail 'em to you. That is, if you trust my experience and like their prices. http://www.precision-camera.com/services/photolab/index.htm#ways

erisian pope on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I'll have to check out some local places. I still have a free 8x10 print from way back when I bought my Canon G5 so I'll have to pick a photo to test that with. I don't think they do nice and advanced stuff like supplying printer profiles, though. That's pretty durned rad.

bombardier on
  • Options
    The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Something to keep in mind, if you're shopping for equipment, retailers will throw in a good quantity of free prints of varying sizes as a bonus for shopping with them. I've had this available at my local brick and mortar shop as well as on Adorama.

Since I've never gotten anything printed, I don't know if this is a good deal or not, you might find yourself with a bunch of really shitty free prints.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    IMG_4510.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pope - That...is...awesome. Something about it is just really appealing.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pope, that shot just works.

Also, Nikon released the D700 today.

That is all.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Everglades fun times:

2633328606_96b70dfd9b.jpg

2633329096_dd0d05d48f.jpg

2632506639_d296256ede.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like those three together there anable. It's a nice little view of the environment. Is that a boat you were on?

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Pope, that shot just works.

Also, Nikon released the D700 today.

That is all.

I think I am still going to buy the d300 - the d700 is a bit much for me and I think I'd rather get a d3 if I were to go full frame.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm with Salti on that Anable. I really like the second shot the best though.

I am however dissapointed that there are no pictures of dinosaurs.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Here's your dinosaur:
    dinostapler.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So...

With PAX Coming up in just under 60 days, I thought I'd ask who is going? It would be fun to have a little get together of the photographers in this forum. I'll be there!

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Here's your dinosaur:

Haha. That's quite appropriate actually.

Also, thanks guys. It was indeed an airboat. It's also the place I ate alligator and frog legs for the first time. Upon seeing my dish, Sheri promptly lost her appetite. :P

anable on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The question anable is: was your dish good?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The question anable is: was your dish good?

I wasn't a huge fan of the frog legs. There's not a lot of meat and it was pretty heavily batter dipped so I was basically holding a deep fried frog in my hands and taking chunks out of it's lower body....

The alligator, however, was pretty good. It's like a cross between chicken and calamari.

anable on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was so gross, dudes.

t pope - I love it, it's beautiful, make me a print

t altmann - I am going!

Sheri on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    2634952647_11899a21e6.jpg

2634943189_01b7135a80.jpg

2634949407_cfe616f413.jpg

I'M SO SORRY SHERI.... I HAD TOO...

2635771098_8e67fd79ba.jpg

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Tini - Those first two are awesome. The dof is damn near perfect and it makes me uber jealous. I took a ton of lizard shots and am not that happy with any of them. I'm curious about the third, is that just shopped or what's going on there?

Some more from my Florida adventure:

The first candid shot that I really enjoy:
    2635819266_5833754d57.jpg

My brothers:
    2635819450_436dd41ea2.jpg

I'm not sure why I like this so much. I guess the colors, perhaps?
    2634994849_96f7511130.jpg

Generic flower shot exxxxtreme!
    2635818994_06d52aca05.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pope, your flower stuff is too neat. The latest one is very buttery and delicious.

anable, groovy set. They all look splendid individually, but might go together as a group slightly better with less vignetting on the first image, what with none of the other shots having that effect.

MKR, you might throw a bit more dynamic light on your subject in this shot. All your texture is lost in really diffuse back/sidelighting, and with the subject dead centre and huge in the frame the extra texture would really help. Still a neat shot.

Tini, 2 and 4 are beautiful. 2 is really nicely composed with very good colours, and the detail in 4 is excellent. 1's bokeh is a bit sharp and distracting - it takes a while to find the subject and keep your eye on it. I think some of the charm of 3 is lost due to the jpeg compression, as a solid black around the hole is probably intended and there in the uncompressed version.

So I've been patiently waiting for the RAM and HD I ordered to arrive. I'm down to shuffling stuff around the last gb of my current hard drive, making bringing in new shots for editing a very painful, slow procedure, which consequently has led to me processing essentially no new photos. I have a half terabyte external on the way, though, along with two additional gigabyte of RAM, so hopefully my Macbook will sing again soon.

I do have a few new things taken at the local jazz festival that ended last week. Bloody people and their moving.

It was busy at the free shows.

2634989911_f309dbdaea.jpg

Luckily I managed to wedge myself directly in front of the stage in an unobtrusive manner and stay there until the dancers threw my sitting self out with their gyrating hips and happy smoke. I got some neat portraits before then, though.

2635813874_426897847d.jpg

2634988861_6c2b6cba4a.jpg

I actually really didn't enjoy this particular band's performance - the band was Mr. Something Something - as the lead singer was a preachy little dick who loved exceedingly long rambles about global warming leading up to exceedingly long songs about nothing. The last image shows the interpretive dancer, who was a source of constant amusement for the entire time she was on stage. She had a total of four moves, two of which were variations on the arm windmill, that she repeated ad nauseam for the group's three tune, hour long set. That being said, they were fun to photograph.

I am headed back to the cabin in two weeks, so hopefully this time there will be less drinking and merry-making and more photography. I of course promise nothing, but at least your hopes have been raised.

Edit: Oh yes, I actually took an architectural shot of sorts when I was at the jazz festival. I had promised myself people only that day, to keep me focussed, but damn if the light was perfect as I wandered into the park.

2634988509_c1b787b7c3.jpg

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I feel intimidated by all these amazing photographs. :P

Especially yours Tini, the iguana one is literally perfect!

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks everyone. The black background photo i took was a product of just messing around on the beach after taking my dads binoculars and putting it up to the lens of the camera. I thought the end result looked pretty cool so I thought I'd share :)

I'm not sure if the compression you were talking about could be due to the binoculars or ... yeah.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Some other not as impressive photos :P

2635817179_422ecf14ae.jpg

2636637424_bdee3acb3d.jpg

2636667456_2fbe0db83d.jpg

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options