As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anable wrote: »
    benz0rs wrote: »
    i enrolled in a photography class. f'ing boring + it was b&w film only.
    im a man of digitization.

thus dropped it right when i got back to my apt lol.

How long did you try it out for? BW Film is a really good thing to learn, but I guess if it wasn't for you then it wasn't for you.

Sounds like it was for just one class. I'm a digital guy myself, but I still think that's a lot to be learned from film. Things like exposure, aperture, composition, etc, etc don't change just because of the medium.

Well, I just felt that I learned all the basics and more (the eye of aestheticism and the taking in of criticism) in AC, and going back to the basics again kinda felt useless, especially for the proposed workload and also my lack of respect for a "professor" who came in drunk and/or high.

Also, I had to drop like $250 for all the equipment, and hell, I only dropped like $100 for my current camera. With only $250 left in my account, I wasn't about to commit it all to photography in a days notice.

A combination of all those things, I guess.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah, seems likes enough reasons to not stick around.

anable on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys, should I buy a sigma 70-300/4-5.6 for $60, lightly used? It's usually new at ~$120. There are no reviews on FredMiranda. The reviews on B&H sound positive but were all seemingly written by photo noobs, so that may not amount to much.

We (wife and I) are currently pinching every penny so this would be a stressful thing to do.

My current lenses are 17-35/2.8-4; 50/1.8; 105/2.8. So this would add telephoto and I like birds a lot! But it would also be much slower than any of my other glass.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bah I hate crime, making my life difficult

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys, should I buy a sigma 70-300/4-5.6 for $60, lightly used? It's usually new at ~$120. There are no reviews on FredMiranda. The reviews on B&H sound positive but were all seemingly written by photo noobs, so that may not amount to much.

We (wife and I) are currently pinching every penny so this would be a stressful thing to do.

My current lenses are 17-35/2.8-4; 50/1.8; 105/2.8. So this would add telephoto and I like birds a lot! But it would also be much slower than any of my other glass.

If this is the one with the macro feature, I had a chance to play with it a few weeks ago.

Pros:
    -Amazing length. 300mm is a beast. I could pictures of my friend jumping out of a plane at 3500 feet(warning: huge). You couldn't make out his face or anything insane like that, but you could tell what was going on.
    -Really nice range. There's a lot you can do between 70 and 300 mm.

Cons:
    -It is slow. Expect to only use it outside and shoot at 400ISO regularly.
    -Pictures aren't going to be crazy sharp. These probably aren't photos you'll win the National Geo contest with.
    -Macro is mostly useless at 300mm. It's hard to get your DOF right because it's near impossible to hold your hand steady.

Conclusion: I would get it if you don't already have a telezoom. It is good enough to get some shoot time, but you'll grow out of it quicker than other lenses. Unfortunately those other lenses are $Texas expensive so $60 is a good deal.

anable on
  • Options
    ACsemperfiACsemperfi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Heres a couple from overseas I kinda like

Early_Evening_from_the_Compoun_by_acsemperfi.jpg

Barwanah_Sunset_by_acsemperfi.jpg

ACsemperfi on
    If you wait til the last minute to do something, it only takes a minute to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

If this is the one with the macro feature, I had a chance to play with it a few weeks ago.

Pros:
    -Amazing length. 300mm is a beast. I could pictures of my friend jumping out of a plane at 3500 feet(warning: huge). You couldn't make out his face or anything insane like that, but you could tell what was going on.
    -Really nice range. There's a lot you can do between 70 and 300 mm.

Cons:
    -It is slow. Expect to only use it outside and shoot at 400ISO regularly.
    -Pictures aren't going to be crazy sharp. These probably aren't photos you'll win the National Geo contest with.
    -Macro is mostly useless at 300mm. It's hard to get your DOF right because it's near impossible to hold your hand steady.

Conclusion: I would get it if you don't already have a telezoom. It is good enough to get some shoot time, but you'll grow out of it quicker than other lenses. Unfortunately those other lenses are $Texas expensive so $60 is a good deal.

It is the one with the macro.

So, your experience was that it was not as sharp as other lenses? I am really happy with how sharp my current ones are, especially my two primes. I think I would be disappointed with a lens that was at all soft. I already know I prefer to shoot at wider apertures, so that's 2 major strikes against it. The problem is that I really want the Canon 70-200/2.8 IS but I don't have thousands of dollars. Grrrrrr.

I think I am going to pass it up. $60 is not all that much money in this hobby but I have stretched the budget already to get what I have.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe a powershot sd1000 or sd750 or something?

Those are a lot less expensive. Also less manual and JPG only, but the image quality is fine. Some of my best pics were on my Powershot SD550 before I cracked its LCD.

The Powershot A720 has a manual mode, aperture and shutter priority modes, and shoots in RAW with CHDK firmware which is really easy to use. I took that pano on the other page with one. They're pretty nice for a P&S that goes for $150-200

It's a bit bulkier than an SD1000/750, and won't fit comfortably in a pants pocket, but has more features and is less expensive than a G9. It also uses AA's, so if you're out for the day and it runs out of juice, you can just swap them.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think I am going to pass it up. $60 is not all that much money in this hobby but I have stretched the budget already to get what I have.

The 70-200 IS is only $60 with another 0 at the end. And a 1 in the front....

anable on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I had it

Your skill is beyond the quality of that lens. Spend more money, it'll be worth it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    KillerCarKillerCar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pope, I've got that lens and I'd basically agree with what anable said . It's a good learning/first telephoto, but if you want a lens for making decent quality/large prints, you'd be better off saving for something a bit higher end. I'm tempted to splash out on a decent long lens but i dunno if i would use it enough to justify.

If it helps, here's a 100 % crop at f5.6 230mm

crop2-1.jpg

Also did my first 5x 4 contact print, it felt strangely satisfying

cyano002edit.jpg

Also thanks sheri for the comment from a few pages ago, i totally failed to see it first time round

KillerCar on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I had almost that exact lens. It was the Quantaray offbrand version but same construction/cost/specifications. It worked for the range and the price but you won't get the same quality pictures that you've been used to. Its pretty decent up through 200mm but between 200 and 300 it starts to get very soft. You also need a lot of light. At F4/5.6 plus a decent shutter speed to avoid shake and its use starts getting limited very fast.

Also obligatory Disney Big Tree Picture:

2616287697_e6b671505b.jpg

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really need to go take some photos.

2616908041_66e342e3b1_o.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    :(

2617201943_4cb15799ae.jpg

2618024670_d53f0193e4.jpg

2618024596_244ef21250.jpg

2617202021_aef05ba3b8.jpg

I tripped right after taking a photo. Busted my hand open too, 7 or so stitches. I don't have health insurance so today was a pretty expensive day - I could have just bought the lens I wanted with what today cost. :(

Virum on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The plus side is that now you have an interesting anecdote.

MKR on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My parents bought 2 statues, pretty much on a whim. I took a few pictures, this one was an attempt at creative photography, the 3 behind spoilers are normal pictures.

nieuwe-beelden-ouders-2.jpg
    nieuwebeeldenouders3.jpg
    nieuwebeeldenouders.jpg
    nieuwebeeldenouders4.jpg

Aldo on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    The plus side is that now you have an interesting anecdote.

Once I got a very bloody headwound, but I don't have an anecdote because I can't remember exactly what happened.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man that really sucks Virum. It's painful to look at even.

Did you get the photo though?

Veritas on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, nothing like the feeling of having the Fedex truck pull up with your new lens, you take it out... and it's the NIKON version :cry: (I have a canon). Gah I want to cry. I keep looking at it hoping that it magically turns into a canon lens.

Edit: damn, my regards Virum. Sorry to hear that man, hope all heals well.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, nothing like the feeling of having the Fedex truck pull up with your new lens, you take it out... and it's the NIKON version :cry: (I have a canon). Gah I want to cry. I keep looking at it hoping that it magically turns into a canon lens.

Oh dude, that sucks so damn much.

You can still return it though and get a canon version, right?

Uberslug on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, Virium that sucks! Sorry to hear about your bad luck :(.

Finally some non-wedding shots! All taken with my fifty!

2617730386_c8ed30a092.jpg 2617730920_b2634ec8b2.jpg 2617731434_a97b84e5de.jpg
    2616967979_008077d453.jpg

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Uberslug wrote: »

Oh dude, that sucks so damn much.

You can still return it though and get a canon version, right?

Yeah, I'm calling them first thing monday morning... I have to wait 2 damn days though, for they are closed on the weekend. :x

Prospicience on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How shitty Virum. I'm so sorry.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man, crappiness for both of you (esp Virum!) Boooooo!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Veritas wrote: »

Not really - it was just location scouting for a short film on which I'm doing cinematography. It wasn't that great of a location, so it wasn't worth it at all.

My own wound:
    2618965269_318d41cdef.jpg

It was deep enough that it cut the fatty tissue, but the muscle was okay so I am happy. $300 bucks though. :(

Virum on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Virum wrote: »

Not really - it was just location scouting for a short film on which I'm doing cinematography. It wasn't that great of a location, so it wasn't worth it at all.

My own wound:

It was deep enough that it cut the fatty tissue, but the muscle was okay so I am happy. $300 bucks though. :(

You need a hug. :(

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So my brother is planning to take over a third world country.

2620386012_86e3c1af76.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So my brother is planning to take over a third world country.

<anable's Brother>

Your brother is awesome.

Great lighting in that picture. Definitely gives it that desert, third-world feel.

An-D on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anable. anable, dude. Why in the heck didn't you post that black and white pool shot here? It's amazing. Jesus, what's wrong with you?

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    anable. anable, dude. Why in the heck didn't you post that black and white pool shot here? It's amazing. Jesus, what's wrong with you?

You mean this one?

anable on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    You mean this one?
    I, uh... must have been sick that day.

<.<

>.>

I like your photos.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Random question. I want to go skydiving (school does it every fall, 120 bucks and you get a camping trip + jump out of plane, seems spiffy) and I want to take pictures whilst I do it. So...advice.

Should I just buy a disposable? Has anyone done this before? Should I try if its my first time jumping?

An-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    An-D wrote: »
    Random question. I want to go skydiving (school does it every fall, 120 bucks and you get a camping trip + jump out of plane, seems spiffy) and I want to take pictures whilst I do it. So...advice.

Should I just buy a disposable? Has anyone done this before? Should I try if its my first time jumping?

I wanted to do the same thing my first time around, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. You have no pocket access in the air so you have to have something around your neck that will most likely hit you in the face when you first jump. You might get a few shots while in the air, but remember that you're steering, so it's kinda like driving and trying to take pictures at the same time. I would just have the person jumping after you take a few and then picket them and then family/friend on the ground. That's about as good as it gets.

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I wanted to do the same thing my first time around, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. You have no pocket access in the air so you have to have something around your neck that will most likely hit you in the face when you first jump. You might get a few shots while in the air, but remember that you're steering, so it's kinda like driving and trying to take pictures at the same time. I would just have the person jumping after you take a few and then picket them and then family/friend on the ground. That's about as good as it gets.

From what I read about the school's system, if its your first time, you gotta do it tandem with an instructor attached to you ( :winky::winky: )....so I'm assuming they're going to be doing all the work on this run. Not sure how free my hands will be because of it...

Still...not recommended?

An-D on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Virum wrote: »

My own wound:

I just got in a car accident for a stupid reason, so I'm losing $500.. which is $250 over what I have saved up.
    It sucks how fast money can vanish, and how slow is regenerates.

And I just can't help but to think "Damn.. I could've bought something big with that..."

benz0rs on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    042-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

Poot on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    From what I read about the school's system, if its your first time, you gotta do it tandem with an instructor attached to you ( :winky::winky: )....so I'm assuming they're going to be doing all the work on this run. Not sure how free my hands will be because of it...

Still...not recommended?

Oh, okay. Might be worth it then. I did a static line jump myself the first time. I would just call up the place and talk to them about what they recommend.

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just spent like 30 minutes in my mom's garden trying to catch a bee flying next to a flower. There's bee's everywhere... and yet I couldn't catch any in flight, bastards are fast.

Edit: Poot: I really like the guy boxing near the shore, is that San Fran?

Prospicience on
This discussion has been closed.