As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.hack//G.U.-Vol.1:Rebirth(Out On 10/24/06!)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sorry for another double-posting but I thought this would be pretty special to share at this time for those eager for the game or still unsure of giving it a buy. With G.U.-Vol 1 at just under three days before release, Dothackers managed to score a special merged video of two of the beginning cutscenes from the English version.

At almost eight minutes long in length and 41-44MB in size, the video has a nice quality while being actually large enough to read the added but not-needed subtitles. The video also runs through the voice-actor credits (which holds some pretty good VAs, especially in the anime-dubbing field) in the second half, giving you a chance to confirm the released list in the previous post.

To take a look at it, click or right-click-and-save on this link which should work. If not, hit the Dothackers link in the opening post and use the link they have posted there.

http://www.dothackers.net/media/[www.dothackers.net]HaseoThePKK.wmv

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    tomorrow!

also, oh gof Xform

can... can I post it wihtout spoilers? It was published in famitsu

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    tomorrow!

also, oh gof Xform

can... can I post it wihtout spoilers? It was published in famitsu

I think it'd be best to keep that in spoiler-blocks as it relates to future events in Volume 3. Make sure to label the spoilers as well concerning which Volume it belongs to keep things in the thread burn-free. :)

On another note, I've been looking up stuff on the connected anime to the games, //Roots, which has been set for a November airing on Cartoon Network.

//Roots:
    [spoiler:0037abe1fb]The series seems quite set for a splitting in half if the dubbers need time to translate all the episodes. Episode 13 marks a shift in plot well enough for a makeshift 'season-finale' if they go that route. The PKing in the episodes do make for more action in the series then SIGN though there's still quite some talking moments put in. The music seems fine though there's a couple of tunes in there that'll make one think of Final Fantasy if characters like Phyllo and Tabby don't do the job. :)

Tabby by the way seems to be quite the bouncy character in more ways then one. If anything she seems to be...well...bigger then Pi in certain respects. If she was created for the role of fan-service, she does it well.[/spoiler:0037abe1fb]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm hearing some places aren't getting enough LE's to cover preorders D:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Special Edition get :D

first one out of the box at that!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Very nice. LE.
    About.. 3.2x better than the original four games.
    I'd say 2.2x if you've never beaten them (or watched .sign), or say, didn't connect with any of the characters.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    cross posted from the Backup GnT chat thread:
    Lanz wrote:
    hahahah, Game Informer realized they forgot to edit out RPGamer's watermark from their "review" of .hack//GU

the image now:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/3C62624B-6877-4DFB-BBD6-DF3907FB5663.htm

the image before I left for school at noon today:
    hahagicaughthy8.th.jpg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CircularCircular Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've long had an interest in this series, but I could never get through .hack//SIGN and now there's about a hojillion spinoffs that I can't keep track of. Could someone provide (or link to) a timeline of the "canon" .hack products that one is supposed to go through to get the storyline?

Circular on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Circular wrote:
    I've long had an interest in this series, but I could never get through .hack//SIGN and now there's about a hojillion spinoffs that I can't keep track of. Could someone provide (or link to) a timeline of the "canon" .hack products that one is supposed to go through to get the storyline?

The four main parts of the original story are in this order.

A).hack//AI-BUSTER (novel which can be seen as the prelude)
    B).hack//SIGN (anime which can be seen as the first half of the story)
    C).hack//INFECTION/MUTATION/OUTBREAK/QUARENTINE (PS2 games which can be seen as the second half)
    D).hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT BRACELET (manga which can be seen as the epilogue)

The second AI-BUSTER novel is a collection of stories set here and there in between the four parts. The ANOTHER BIRTH novels (four books based on the original game from the point of view of the game's main female character) are also being translated at this time with the first two out in the US so far. As for the LEGEND anime, it's concidered as non-canon since it veers from the manga's version of events early on.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Fallout2Fallout2 Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Who the fuck writes this garbage?

I have never heard of such a laughably bad story in a game before.

Fallout2 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Fallout2 wrote:

Annnnnnnnd hello troll!

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Fallout2 wrote:

Annnnnnnnd hello troll!

.... fallout 2?

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    holy shit I thought Fallout2 was dead

this is some Wild Things shit right here

Captain K on
  • Options
    Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Captain K wrote:

wild things?

am i on a safari hunt

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Seta FD wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

wild things?

am i on a safari hunt

Ditto on the confusion. Not to derail from the topic of the thread but he's not some random poster?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    He was a pretty well-known troll in late '03.

I am getting to the bottom of this mystery.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Seta FD wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

wild things?

am i on a safari hunt

Ditto on the confusion. Not to derail from the topic of the thread but he's not some random poster?
    Not really. If you look through his posts, he's consistently, overbearingly negative. And he seems to hate all things japanese, regardless of shape or form. It's pretty safe to ignore him.

Damn you guys, Seeing this thread makes me want to play the first 4 games, but they're still pretty expensive. The 3rd game is like $35 used. What the hell is that?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I was actually joking, I had already gotten to the bottom of the mystery.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Aww. I kinda felt like Batman there for a little bit. Er, well, Robin. On second thought, I'm glad you already had it figured out.

So there are only three games in this series? Gah, the lead character looks badass in those scans.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Seta FD wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

wild things?

am i on a safari hunt

Not really. If you look through his posts, he's consistently, overbearingly negative. And he seems to hate all things japanese, regardless of shape or form. It's pretty safe to ignore him.

Damn you guys, Seeing this thread makes me want to play the first 4 games, but they're still pretty expensive. The 3rd game is like $35 used. What the hell is that?

Despite getting an OVA disk with each part of the game, charging them at 50 bucks a pop was a bit much for only a fourth of a game. At least now for the same price, one can get the G.U. game, Terminal Disk, and very nicely detailed figure of the main character, Haseo.

I've played through the tutorial dungeon at least for tonight (since I'm tired from lack of sleep caused by //Roots-viewing) and things do seem a lot quicker now, especially in fights with sneak-attacks, a button set aside for actual blocking and having your skills mapped to a button (which is triggered by holding down R1).

One of the nicer additions in fights are Rengeki attacks, which kinda borrow the Protect Break part from the last game by being available whenever you batter an enemy down enough times to show a series of rings around it, allowing you to launch a more dynamic version of the skill you choose to use for the attack. The nice thing about it is that it adds more experiance to your battle earnings and it also helps boost the Morale gauge up top which when full allows you to pull off one of two 'Awakenings'.

a) Beast Awakening: Boosts physical attack power and running speed while leaving all enemies immobolized for the duration of the Awakening.
    b) Demon Awakening: Both party and enemies are frozen, allowing you to rapid-fire magical attacks at the enemies with the X button at no cost to your SP (MP/mana in other games).

And yes, Renzo, just three games for G.U. for this story. However, each game is said to be as long as all four parts of the original game combined.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    One last question: Do I need to know anything before hopping into G.U.? I played the first .hack game, so I have a basic understanding of the setting and ideas in the .hack world.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    Aww. I kinda felt like Batman there for a little bit. Er, well, Robin. On second thought, I'm glad you already had it figured out.

So there are only three games in this series? Gah, the lead character looks badass in those scans.

man, wait until vol. 3

[realspoiler:251d9c0c7e]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7898/4c6fbgb2ou3.jpg[/realspoiler:251d9c0c7e]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

man, wait until vol. 3

[realspoiler:18f9335b6f]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7898/4c6fbgb2ou3.jpg[/realspoiler:18f9335b6f]
    That's what I meant. I mean, wow.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

man, wait until vol. 3

[realspoiler:53715829c8]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7898/4c6fbgb2ou3.jpg[/realspoiler:53715829c8]
    That's what I meant. I mean, wow.

3 better have an LE with a figure of that.

I will buy it so hard

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, what is in the LE anyway? I didn't preorder it, and dunno if one will just be hanging around, so I was just wondering what I may have missed out on.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So, what is in the LE anyway? I didn't preorder it, and dunno if one will just be hanging around, so I was just wondering what I may have missed out on.

Haseo figurine with the twin blades and the Terminal disc

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The terminal disc is the remakes of the original quadrilogy cutscenes in the new engine, right? Because I can live without that.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man.

[spoiler:f07a47f89d]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:f07a47f89d]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The terminal disc is the remakes of the original quadrilogy cutscenes in the new engine, right? Because I can live without that.

The Terminal Disc is a special info-disc created by a man who works for CC-Corp. It holds twelve video reports with the first four being based on his view on the events in the original game based on what he heard and CC-Corp logs made at the time. The rest detail what occured afterwards between the end of the events in the game in 2010 and where G.U. starts in 2017. They're quite well done so far and they picked a good voice-actor to play the employee. I'm sure those who've watched anime on Adult Swim will reconize his voice as well as a couple of others from the same anime he worked on in the first four reports. :)

Oh, and Claw...

Characters:
    [spoiler:6f23bb90dc]Piros isn't the only player from the original storyline to return :) [/spoiler:6f23bb90dc]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Uhhhng, I didn't even really like the first four and I was up since like 8 last night playing through this one.

I think I have a problem, it's been ages since I played a game all night like that.

God I don't even know if I'm halfway through.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Uhhhng, I didn't even really like the first four and I was up since like 8 last night playing through this one.

I think I have a problem, it's been ages since I played a game all night like that.

Well I have the guide for it. If you put in a spoiler-block where you are at the moment (though try to be light on the plot-reveals since I'm still getting started myself), I might be able to tell you how far you're at.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Well I have the guide for it. If you put in a spoiler-block where you are at the moment (though try to be light on the plot-reveals since I'm still getting started myself), I might be able to tell you how far you're at.
    Ah.

[spoiler:19423d334f]I'm in the second tournament battle.[/spoiler:19423d334f]

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Okay. So my backlog now consists of:

God Hand
    Disgaea
    Disgaea 2
    Dirge of Cerberus (I'm sorry)
    and this.

...I need to get these games up to my dorm or I'll end up staggering out of my bedroom with a beard at the end of summer break.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Ah.

[spoiler:e0b2ca794d]I'm in the second tournament battle.[/spoiler:e0b2ca794d]

Hmmm...

[spoiler:e0b2ca794d]Dunno where that is exactly and the book doesn't quite help on that matter. If you're there though, I'd say maybe a third to close to halfway through. You might wanna tackle some of the extra fields you've gotten from posts, characters, and the Quest Shop if you haven't done so yet. Doing those help unlock the extra-boss battle after you beat the game, much like the ones the original game's first three parts had.[/spoiler:e0b2ca794d]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Man, that LE sounds like a damn cool deal. I might have to buy it. Shit.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, how is it so far? Anyone?

I wasn't crazy about the randomness in the first game(s), as it tended to make every single area feel really generic...have they made it more interesting this time around?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

I wasn't crazy about the randomness in the first game(s), as it tended to make every single area feel really generic...have they made it more interesting this time around?

The game is a lot more quicker in fights then the previous game thanks to the added things like Skill Trigger and Rengeki. Fields also have light objectives now rather then simply heading down to the lowest floor of the dungeon and opening the Gott Statue's chest. For added objectives, you can go to the Quest Shop in town and take on jobs in certain fields for extra pay. There's also PKers to kill, PCs to interact with, and traps to overcome on the fields too.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

The game is a lot more quicker in fights then the previous game thanks to the added things like Skill Trigger and Rengeki. Fields also have light objectives now rather then simply heading down to the lowest floor of the dungeon and opening the Gott Statue's chest. For added objectives, you can go to the Quest Shop in town and take on jobs in certain fields for extra pay. There's also PKers to kill, PCs to interact with, and traps to overcome on the fields too.

How about the encounter system? Still the weird hunting for enemies? Or do they show up now?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, does anyone else think that Endrance has that whole Mansen thing going?

[spoiler:cc57ce3f05] "You will die, forgotten, and rot in your grave, your accomplishments will mean nothing." [/spoiler:cc57ce3f05]

Well, he said something like that. To be honest I was still caught up at the way he "held" himself during that one battle.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

How about the encounter system? Still the weird hunting for enemies? Or do they show up now?

As far as normal enemies on the field/dungeon goes, they're visable and not stuffed into some Magic Portal like the last game. In fact, you can launch a sneak attack on them if you can get close enough without them seeing you (which requires some thought as each type of enemy has it's own detection-range) or by just ramming the vehicle you score eventually right into them (large enemies end up giving your party some damage though if you ram into them). Both ramming as well as regular sneak attacks factor into the Books of 1000's records, so they're worth practicing.

On another note, they defantally improved the desktop decorating in this game as you can score backgrounds from both the Books as well as a new graphics/art message board in the game. Plus you can alter the colors of at least the basic background (if not the other pics as well) with a selection of sliders in the background-choosing area of the desktop's 'Control Panel'.

Owenashi on