As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.hack//G.U.-Vol.1:Rebirth(Out On 10/24/06!)

12346»

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Wow, just got done with my first interactive run with an Avatar.

[spoiler:9b60cb37a5]Damn, it's a real shift in tactics when it comes to dealing with that kind of fighting. And it's a real step-up when you go from fighting Annas to Tarvos! I had to zoom right up close to finally get a hit from my DD-Cannon (as I like to call it) on her with all her constant moving.[/spoiler:9b60cb37a5]

[spoiler:9b60cb37a5]Wait until you fight Macha.[/spoiler:9b60cb37a5]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

[spoiler:a9af5b45dd]Damn, it's a real shift in tactics when it comes to dealing with that kind of fighting. And it's a real step-up when you go from fighting Annas to Tarvos! I had to zoom right up close to finally get a hit from my DD-Cannon (as I like to call it) on her with all her constant moving.[/spoiler:a9af5b45dd]

[spoiler:a9af5b45dd]Wait until you fight Macha.[/spoiler:a9af5b45dd]

[spoiler:a9af5b45dd] Macha is EASY compared to [/spoiler:a9af5b45dd]
    [realspoiler:a9af5b45dd] AIDA-Kite in his avatar form. Holy shit, that fight is intense the first time around. If you don't know what to do you'll be trading hits with him blow for blow the entire fight. [/realspoiler:a9af5b45dd]

Archonex on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

[spoiler:9eea522b2a]Damn, it's a real shift in tactics when it comes to dealing with that kind of fighting. And it's a real step-up when you go from fighting Annas to Tarvos! I had to zoom right up close to finally get a hit from my DD-Cannon (as I like to call it) on her with all her constant moving.[/spoiler:9eea522b2a]

[spoiler:9eea522b2a]Wait until you fight Macha.[/spoiler:9eea522b2a]

[spoiler:9eea522b2a]Oh man, got through with Macha. Fighting both him and Magus was brutal. The movies at the end of the fights were killer too. I'm gonna have to force myself to fight Macha again though for that wallpaper-pic.[/spoiler:9eea522b2a]

Say, anyone got a fave-weapon yet in this game? I scored this broadsword called Wings and when I saw it for the first time, I was like '...YES!' :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anyone know if there are plans for a next gen (ps3/wii/360) .hack game? I dig it but wow it looks horrible on my HDTV :shock:

In fact I think the only ps2 game I've played on the big screen that looked half way decent and not blurry was God of War. Most don't seem to support hd.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    powersurge wrote:
    Anyone know if there are plans for a next gen (ps3/wii/360) .hack game? I dig it but wow it looks horrible on my HDTV :shock:

In fact I think the only ps2 game I've played on the big screen that looked half way decent and not blurry was God of War. Most don't seem to support hd.

They might do a game for the next-gen once they're done with the current G.U. trilogy. The last game is set to come out in Japan around December or so and many hope by January, they'll have translated Vol-2.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, for those who didn't do Data Conversion from the original Quadrilogy games and concerning the final boss:

[spoiler:baa9d4cb77]How does Tri-Edge's name appear to you in the final fight? I know since I named Kite in //INFECTION as Kite, that's the name I got for the boss[/spoiler:baa9d4cb77]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TylecTylec Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    So, for those who didn't do Data Conversion from the original Quadrilogy games and concerning the final boss:

[spoiler:b8cb988f6f]How does Tri-Edge's name appear to you in the final fight? I know since I named Kite in //INFECTION as Kite, that's the name I got for the boss[/spoiler:b8cb988f6f]

[spoiler:b8cb988f6f]I believe the default name is "Kite of the Azure Flame".[/spoiler:b8cb988f6f]

Tylec on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sorry for not posting a reminder in time, but this morning had the English premere of .hack//Roots on Cartoon Network. It's worth watching (especially for those in the 'purists' camp of anime fans as they kept the original opening and closing somewhat) but a) they went with different voice actors when it came to the characters Roots and Rebirth shares and b) they kinda were a little awkward with the timing of the commercial cutaways. Still, it's the legal way to watch it (till the DVDs come out), so we'll have to grin and bear it.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Sorry for not posting a reminder in time, but this morning had the English premere of .hack//Roots on Cartoon Network. It's worth watching (especially for those in the 'purists' camp of anime fans as they kept the original opening and closing somewhat) but a) they went with different voice actors when it came to the characters Roots and Rebirth shares and b) they kinda were a little awkward with the timing of the commercial cutaways. Still, it's the legal way to watch it (till the DVDs come out), so we'll have to grin and bear it.

Any word on when we might see a region 1 release?

powersurge on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

However take note that no one from the games does the voices so its very disorienting :P

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

However take note that no one from the games does the voices so its very disorienting :P
    He already mentioned that:

"they went with different voice actors when it came to the characters Roots and Rebirth shares"

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

"they went with different voice actors when it came to the characters Roots and Rebirth shares"

oh totally missed that part my bad

But what is a little strange about /Roots is that it's hard to figure out exactly when they want you to watch it with the games.

Clearly you should watch the beginning section before playing vol 1. But then after Haseo becomes the terror of death if you keep watching it leads to massive spoilers for whats in the games.

It almost seems like they wanted you to watch half the series then beat the first game, watch a few more episodes, beat the second game, and finish the series.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Just finished Mutation, quite unexpectedly. The plot is a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. The first game just gives you no clue whatsoever as to what's going on. But Mutation gives you quite a bit more, and the Liminality tie-in helps things quite a bit.

Halfway to G.U.!

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

oh totally missed that part my bad

But what is a little strange about /Roots is that it's hard to figure out exactly when they want you to watch it with the games.

Clearly you should watch the beginning section before playing vol 1. But then after Haseo becomes the terror of death if you keep watching it leads to massive spoilers for whats in the games.

It almost seems like they wanted you to watch half the series then beat the first game, watch a few more episodes, beat the second game, and finish the series.

randombattle: The reason for that lies with how Roots was released in Japan along with the three G.U. Volumes. The last couple of episodes and the second Volume of the trilogy were released within 48 hours of each other.

Timewise, you play the first dungeon of the game. Roots picks up right after that and fills in the eight month gap that the game skipped over up to episode 23. Then Rebirth and Roots intertwine with each other in episode 24 at the point where the game picks up after the eight month gap. Episode 25 and 26 deal with the aftermath of events in Episode 24 and Haseo's initial meeting with Tri-Edge. The best thing to do would be to watch everything essencially up to 24, play and beat Rebirth, then watch the last two episodes. :)

Renzo: Congrats on passing part 2 of the original game. MUTATION really does pick up on the story thanks to INFECTION getting most of the main-character intros out of the way. Part 3 of both the game and LIMINALITY oughta really feed your backstory needs, especially the latter.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This reminds me that I need to and finish .//Hack 2-4 . I might have the marathon those soon.

Artoria on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    PK one-shotted me. Hadn't saved in last two hours. About a week ago.
    He was.. three levels higher than my main. Lame.

Still love the game more than the original .Hacks.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    randombattle: The reason for that lies with how Roots was released in Japan along with the three G.U. Volumes. The last couple of episodes and the second Volume of the trilogy were released within 48 hours of each other.

Timewise, you play the first dungeon of the game. Roots picks up right after that and fills in the eight month gap that the game skipped over up to episode 23. Then Rebirth and Roots intertwine with each other in episode 24 at the point where the game picks up after the eight month gap. Episode 25 and 26 deal with the aftermath of events in Episode 24 and Haseo's initial meeting with Tri-Edge. The best thing to do would be to watch everything essencially up to 24, play and beat Rebirth, then watch the last two episodes. :)

Renzo: Congrats on passing part 2 of the original game. MUTATION really does pick up on the story thanks to INFECTION getting most of the main-character intros out of the way. Part 3 of both the game and LIMINALITY oughta really feed your backstory needs, especially the latter.
    Yeah, I already watched the 3rd Liminality. Very cool stuff. Seems like the pieces are starting to fall into place. And I just discovered my old .hack//SIGN discs. So I'll finally have a reason to watch that, woo! And hopefully I'll be able to catch ROOTS at some time.

So I should watch 1-24 of ROOTS, play Rebirth, then 25+26?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

Yeah, I already watched the 3rd Liminality. Very cool stuff. Seems like the pieces are starting to fall into place. And I just discovered my old .hack//SIGN discs. So I'll finally have a reason to watch that, woo! And hopefully I'll be able to catch ROOTS at some time.

Hmm that does make a lot more sense. Looks like US Roots/vol 2 might end up following the same pattern.

But yeah watching Roots really helps before the game. (plus it is a good show)

[realspoiler:f9724c17c6]Not to mention you basically have to watch it once vol 2-3 comes out because some of the characters come back and/or have big supporting roles in the games[/realspoiler:f9724c17c6]

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

Hmm that does make a lot more sense. Looks like US Roots/vol 2 might end up following the same pattern.

[realspoiler:7c0bc86b4e]Not to mention you basically have to watch it once vol 2-3 comes out because some of the characters come back and/or have big supporting roles in the games[/realspoiler:7c0bc86b4e]

Renzo: You might wanna hold off of watching the last part of LIMINALITY until you beat QUARENTINE. It defantally makes the viewing more satisfying and less spoilerish.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

[realspoiler:79c40e9b2c]Not to mention you basically have to watch it once vol 2-3 comes out because some of the characters come back and/or have big supporting roles in the games[/realspoiler:79c40e9b2c]

Renzo: You might wanna hold off of watching the last part of LIMINALITY until you beat QUARENTINE. It defantally makes the viewing more satisfying and less spoilerish.
    Ah. Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was planning on taking that advice. Someone said that earlier in the thread. Maybe you. I'll make sure I hold off on watching it, thanks.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wise fwom youw gwave!

I finished watching .hack//SIGN and attempted to go back to my save on .hack//Outbreak. The battle system just isn't fun anymore. There's too much risk for too little gain, and the AI is retarded. I'm spoiled by more recent RPGs. So I watched the Terminal Disc and Liminality part 4 and read a little on wikipedia, and I'm pretty sure I got the gist of what happened after I left Outbreak.

[spoiler:f29345f0d1]I stopped right after Balmung joined. Losing Mistral was pretty much my cue to stop the game anyway. I can't believe they did that.[/spoiler:f29345f0d1]

If you have anything to add that the wiki and Terminal Disc leave out, please let me know. I'm pretty much playing GU and watching Roots at the same time, though I'll try to finish Roots soon. Even 3 hours into GU, you barely make any progress.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I saw the trailer for Volume 3.

I would greatly like Volume 2 now please and 3 soon after that.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    oh god die gaspard diediediedie

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Turns out Gaspard kills me instead of the other way around because he forgets to heal. Or something.

Anyway. Just bought the A.I Buster novel-thing and the Legend of the Twilight manga box set. Please tell me if the LotT manga is somehow inferior to the anime. I prefer manga because it takes less time to read than it does to watch a show, but if the show is better, I'd be willing to go for that.

Any word on the quality of the Another Birth manga? I'm thinking about that too, just because I'm a completionist. But again, if it blows goats then I'll pass.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Just finished the main story at 27-ish hours. That was intense.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Anyway. Just bought the A.I Buster novel-thing and the Legend of the Twilight manga box set. Please tell me if the LotT manga is somehow inferior to the anime. I prefer manga because it takes less time to read than it does to watch a show, but if the show is better, I'd be willing to go for that.

The manga is actually a completely different plotline from the anime after the first couple episodes.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:

The manga is actually a completely different plotline from the anime after the first couple episodes.
    Huh. I guess I'll hold onto it then.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

The manga is the legit version of the LotT story. The anime is just an alternate version and concidered non-canon. The only big thing that still holds true for both is that Ouka is hot as hell, potential pedophile aside. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

The manga is the legit version of the LotT story. The anime is just an alternate version and concidered non-canon. The only big thing that still holds true for both is that Ouka is hot as hell, potential pedophile aside. :)
    Good to hear. The "manga is canon" part, I mean. But pretty pictures are good too.

Now that I finished the game, I guess I have to go back and read all the spoilers you guys wrote.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    God I hope they say something about the second game soon..

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Same here. It's been out in Japan for a few months, right?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:

The third game has been out for a couple months I think at this point. :lol:

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I finished the game a few days ago, and I'm doing all the random junk that's left over. About making the best set of blades possible: Am I right in thinking that I need to make 5 Spin Piney +5 and use them to Alchemize the Spin Needle? Or is there a way to get more Spin Needles? Because if it's the former, I'm looking at over 75k to buy the required weapons. I'd just like to check my logic before I drop the cash.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:

The third game has been out for a couple months I think at this point. :lol:

third one's out in the next few weeks

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dothackers put up on the 11th scans from a Japanese magazine depicting screenshots and art involved with Volume 3 of //G.U.. Take a look if you want but be aware that there's some serious spoilers in how some characters turn out by the time of this game.

http://www.dothackers.net/

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just to let you all know that the second volume of G.U. is one step closer to the U.S. as Bandai-Namco has placed the name .hack//G.U. Vol. 2//Reminisce as the official English name on the .hack site. Hopefully word on the release date will be forthcoming soon.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Owenashi wrote:
    Just to let you all know that the second volume of G.U. is one step closer to the U.S. as Bandai-Namco has placed the name .hack//G.U. Vol. 2//Reminisce as the official English name on the .hack site. Hopefully word on the release date will be forthcoming soon.
    Yeah.. so much for us getting the second installation when the Japanese got the third.. oooh well, as long as they're actually going to give us the next two titles in the series. Heard a lot of rumors that they were just dumping the series on US shores.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks to Dothackers' mention and link, I can share this quick Q&A session by 1up.com here. They chat with CyberConnect2 President and CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama and Namco Bandai localization manager Brian Glazebrook about what to expect in Volume 2. Among the tidbits is this important item of note.
    Furthermore, the game team and the anime team are separate, but we do work closely together. One example is that the demo of the game will be included in the first DVD volume of Roots.

Here's the link for the 2-page interview for those interested.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3156781

Be mindful that they have one or two translated screens up for Vol.2 which hold a couple of spoilers on who'll be in your party in this part.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Talking about release dates.

The confirmed release date for vol 2 is currently Summer 07.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!