As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.hack//G.U.-Vol.1:Rebirth(Out On 10/24/06!)

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm heavily considering buying the game now.

1) Can you use japanese voices? Not a big deal cause the english looks pretty solid.
    2) Is the extra/recap disc any good? Will it fill me in on what happened in the previous games, even when I know basically nothing?

Renzo on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Unfortunately Renzo, They took out the Japaneese Voicetrack feature, however the voices are a LOT better this time.

In addition to some of the better talent kept around from the previos games, they have hired more superb Actors, for example, uhnless I'm mistaken, the VA for Kuhn did Axel in Kingdom Hearts II.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Unfortunately Renzo, They took out the Japaneese Voicetrack feature, however the voices are a LOT better this time.

Is this an indication that it's a much longer game? Because the old ones were crazy short.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Is this an indication that it's a much longer game? Because the old ones were crazy short.
    I think some people said that each game is supposed to be longer than all four of the previous games combined.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Put it to you this way, Uriel is 15 Hours into the game, and he Just got the "Job Extention" and: [spoiler:e78c238d70]Skieth Awakened.[/spoiler:e78c238d70]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Put it to you this way, Uriel is 15 Hours into the game, and he Just got the "Job Extention" and: [spoiler:e3b5fa486b]Skieth Awakened.[/spoiler:e3b5fa486b]

You can factor in stuff like fighting in the Arenas on your own time, doing quests bought at the Quest Shop, bounty-hunting notorious PKs...

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, except you kind of have to fight in the arena to prgress the story for a good long while.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So I bought Rebirth. And Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine.

My poor wallet. I have a lot of game ahead of me, though.

Renzo on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    you fucking piece of shit. where the fuck did you find mutation? WHERE?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PikaPuff wrote:
    you fucking piece of shit. where the fuck did you find mutation? WHERE?
    aaat my local EB. And the Liminality disc was all scratched up. Plays fine though. Just watched it.

but I had to buy Quarantine on eBay. It was new though. So that's kind of a plus.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:

Nice work on scoring the original game's parts. Must be hard to find them by now if you had to go on eBay. I'd wait till you've played the last part though to watch the last part of LIMINALITY though.

On a related note to you watching LIMINALITY, how do you find it compared to ONLINE JACK? Equal, bad, or better?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

Nice work on scoring the original game's parts. Must be hard to find them by now if you had to go on eBay. I'd wait till you've played the last part though to watch the last part of LIMINALITY though.

On a related note to you watching LIMINALITY, how do you find it compared to ONLINE JACK? Equal, bad, or better?
    What's Online Jack?

And you're right about eBay, Quarantine isn't even listed on EBStop's website.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

What's Online Jack?

The 'happening-in-the-real-world-at-the-same-time' OVA made for G.U., only built into the game rather then on it's own seperate disc. You can find it in your desktop's news-section.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

What's Online Jack?

The 'happening-in-the-real-world-at-the-same-time' OVA made for G.U., only built into the game rather then on it's own seperate disc. You can find it in your desktop's news-section.
    Oh, I haven't watched it. I won't even unwrap G.U. until I finish Quarantine.

Renzo on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Okay.

I beat it.

Now when is the next one coming out?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I love the Hack series, I'm holding off until FFXII before buying this though.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I love the Hack series, I'm holding off until FFXII before buying this though.
    I think I tried the FFXII demo once.

This is much much better.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I loved the FFXII demo, and some of my friends who have played the import claim it's one of the best in the series. I guess I'll find out next week.

(not to mention I already put down some money on the game).

I'll pick up Rebirth in a few weeks. Also that new Shin Megami game.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Seriously though the next one better not take long to come out.

I'm already getting antsy for it.

EDIT: By the way, in regards to length, it's about 20ish hours long.

Not realy longer than the old ones. But a helluva lot more satisfying.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    This is getting some bad reviews, but I assume that's just because they're not obsessed with //hack like I have been.

Love the first four games.
    Love the //signs anime, and the newer //roots anime, as well as the //gift OAV (hilarious). But I hated Legend of the Twilight Bracelet.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    so if i like never played the first 4 games or seen the anime could i jump into this game and pick up where they ended?

if not then no sale for me.

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Read another birth or get an LE because it has a terminal disc.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    From the cover, apparently this is the first game to have dual wielding spinal cords. :|

Also, any freaks know the play order of the anime and games and manga?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PikaPuff wrote:
    From the cover, apparently this is the first game to have dual wielding spinal cords. :|

Copied from an earlier post of mine..
    Owenashi wrote:
    The four main parts of the original story are in this order.

A).hack//AI-BUSTER (novel which can be seen as the prelude)
    B).hack//SIGN (anime which can be seen as the first half of the story)
    C).hack//INFECTION/MUTATION/OUTBREAK/QUARENTINE (PS2 games which can be seen as the second half)
    D).hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT BRACELET (manga which can be seen as the epilogue)

The second AI-BUSTER novel is a collection of stories set here and there in between the four parts. The ANOTHER BIRTH novels (four books based on the original game from the point of view of the game's main female character) are also being translated at this time with the first two out in the US so far. As for the LEGEND anime, it's concidered as non-canon since it veers from the manga's version of events early on.

Where all the pieces that add up along with the added stories coming in with //G.U., check these links out (pictures too big for direct postage here).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Owenashi/world3.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Owenashi/hack07-1.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PikaPuff wrote:

They're actually CHAINSWORDS.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man.

[spoiler:713c885085]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:713c885085]
    [realspoiler:713c885085] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:713c885085]

But to be serious for a second, is there any confirmed post-game content yet? I just beat this game and i'm trying to find find any bonus quests available.

I thought that maybe that
    [spoiler:713c885085] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:713c885085]

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Man.

[spoiler:f252840b2e]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:f252840b2e]
    [realspoiler:f252840b2e] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:f252840b2e]

But to be serious for a second, is there any confirmed post-game content yet? I just beat this game and i'm trying to find find any bonus quests available.

[spoiler:f252840b2e] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:f252840b2e]

Post-game content:
    [spoiler:f252840b2e]Much like the first game, there's a post-game quest. In G.U., it's available at the Quest Shop. You have to complete three events in the game/post-game (whenever you can) called Mark Of Offering.[/spoiler:f252840b2e]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    so,with all the subquests and stuff, any idea how long this is? I'm over 12 hours in, but I've kinda left it idle at times and just

[realspoiler:c31e3b6b5f]had the encounter with Endrance at the Arena[/realspoiler:c31e3b6b5f]

also, did Bandai-Namco announce a US date for Vol 2?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Man.

[spoiler:750447910a]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:750447910a]
    [realspoiler:750447910a] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:750447910a]

[spoiler:750447910a] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:750447910a]

Post-game content:
    [spoiler:750447910a]Much like the first game, there's a post-game quest. In G.U., it's available at the Quest Shop. You have to complete three events in the game/post-game (whenever you can) called Mark Of Offering.[/spoiler:750447910a]

[spoiler:750447910a] If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about unlocking/doing that? [/spoiler:750447910a]

Edit: Depending on what you're talking about, i'd say you're about a 1/3 to the halfway point in the game, Lanz.

Archonex on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Man.

[spoiler:5431bc213b]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:5431bc213b]
    [realspoiler:5431bc213b] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:5431bc213b]

[spoiler:5431bc213b] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:5431bc213b]

Post-game content:
    [spoiler:5431bc213b]Much like the first game, there's a post-game quest. In G.U., it's available at the Quest Shop. You have to complete three events in the game/post-game (whenever you can) called Mark Of Offering.[/spoiler:5431bc213b]

[spoiler:5431bc213b] If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about unlocking/doing that? [/spoiler:5431bc213b]

Edit: Depending on what you're talking about, i'd say you're about a 1/3 to the halfway point in the game, Lanz.

I'm a sad panda now :(

oh well, suppose I can go level up for a while :P

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Man.

[spoiler:f827eef6bf]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:f827eef6bf]
    [realspoiler:f827eef6bf] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:f827eef6bf]

[spoiler:f827eef6bf] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:f827eef6bf]

Post-game content:
    [spoiler:f827eef6bf]Much like the first game, there's a post-game quest. In G.U., it's available at the Quest Shop. You have to complete three events in the game/post-game (whenever you can) called Mark Of Offering.[/spoiler:f827eef6bf]

[spoiler:f827eef6bf] If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about unlocking/doing that? [/spoiler:f827eef6bf]

It's no big deal. You have ALOT to go through. Especially if that's the first time you've seen Endrance.

Also, i've just got to state how much I hate Endrance. His character's such a kill-joy if you ask me. Especially later on when you [spoiler:f827eef6bf]fight him.

I mean, his awakening warcry is basically:
    *In a sad, emo-ish sort of voice* "You can't possibly understand my feelings! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Talk about a letdown. I was expecting him to go all murder-tastic during that part judging by that other quote I posted, and then I get that. I half-way expected his awakening attack to cause him to start crying, run away from me, and then start slitting his own wrists. [/spoiler:f827eef6bf]

Archonex on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    For your reading pleasure, AllRPG has an interview with the localization staff, a review of the two OST's that accompany the anime, and the anime itself.

Interview
    Anime
    OST1
    OST2

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Man.

[spoiler:0fbe713dbd]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]
    [realspoiler:0fbe713dbd] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:0fbe713dbd]

[spoiler:0fbe713dbd] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]

Post-game content:
    [spoiler:0fbe713dbd]Much like the first game, there's a post-game quest. In G.U., it's available at the Quest Shop. You have to complete three events in the game/post-game (whenever you can) called Mark Of Offering.[/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]

[spoiler:0fbe713dbd] If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about unlocking/doing that? [/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]

It's no big deal. You have ALOT to go through. Especially if that's the first time you've seen Endrance.

Also, i've just got to state how much I hate Endrance. His character's such a kill-joy if you ask me. Especially later on when you [spoiler:0fbe713dbd]fight him.

*In a sad, emo-ish sort of voice* "You can't possibly understand my feelings! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Talk about a letdown. I was expecting him to go all murder-tastic during that part judging by that other quote I posted, and then I get that. I half-way expected his awakening attack to cause him to start crying, run away from me, and then start slitting his own wrists. [/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]

Endrance:
    [spoiler:0fbe713dbd]Well, if he's who a lot of people think he is, it's not really surprising for him to act that way then.[/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]

Post-Game Quest:
    [spoiler:0fbe713dbd]First field on the list for the Mark Of Offering event is Delta: Choosing Superior Offerings, a Lv 11 field for both items and enemies. Keep an eye out for it in posts and bring Stimulant Sodas or augment your armor with Caffeine Drink.[/spoiler:0fbe713dbd]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Man.

[spoiler:3de344395f]Piros the 3rd. What the fuck. [/spoiler:3de344395f]
    [realspoiler:3de344395f] Oh, did you get to enjoy his "HOT PASSION" yet?[/realspoiler:3de344395f]

[spoiler:3de344395f] Abyss/Ebisu quest on the rumor forums might lead to something, but so far I haven't found anything yet. [/spoiler:3de344395f]

Post-game content:
    [spoiler:3de344395f]Much like the first game, there's a post-game quest. In G.U., it's available at the Quest Shop. You have to complete three events in the game/post-game (whenever you can) called Mark Of Offering.[/spoiler:3de344395f]

[spoiler:3de344395f] If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about unlocking/doing that? [/spoiler:3de344395f]

Also, i've just got to state how much I hate Endrance. His character's such a kill-joy if you ask me. Especially later on when you [spoiler:3de344395f]fight him.

Talk about a letdown. I was expecting him to go all murder-tastic during that part judging by that other quote I posted, and then I get that. I half-way expected his awakening attack to cause him to start crying, run away from me, and then start slitting his own wrists. [/spoiler:3de344395f]

Endrance:
    [spoiler:3de344395f]Well, if he's who a lot of people think he is, it's not really surprising for him to act that way then.[/spoiler:3de344395f]

Post-Game Quest:
    [spoiler:3de344395f]First field on the list for the Mark Of Offering event is Delta: Choosing Superior Offerings, a Lv 11 field for both items and enemies. Keep an eye out for it in posts and bring Stimulant Sodas or augment your armor with Caffeine Drink.[/spoiler:3de344395f]

[spoiler:3de344395f] I know who he is. It all but tells you in the story if you pay very close attention. It's still pretty annoying (Perhaps even more-so when you consider the time-line and events of past games.), but I will admit that the end of that particular arc has some very cool moments towards the end. [/spoiler:3de344395f]

On the subject of the quest, thanks for the assistance.
    [spoiler:3de344395f] I ended up buying fifty stimulant soda's because I thought the enemy there would be overleveled massively for the zone since it was a post-game quest. It turns out my level 50 characters tore through the monsters in a matter of seconds. There goes all that money. :oops: [/spoiler:3de344395f]

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Man, you have to get Gabi in your address list at some point in the other games.

[spoiler:d2deac8013]I'm Gabi! :D [/spoiler:d2deac8013]

Gabi is like, 17 different kinds of awesome.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Man, you have to get Gabi in your address list at some point in the other games.

[spoiler:642eacc45f]I'm Gabi! :D [/spoiler:642eacc45f]

Gabi is like, 17 different kinds of awesome.

[spoiler:642eacc45f]Er, you don't wanna throw yourself against his chest like that guy on one of the Community MBs in the game, do you?[/spoiler:642eacc45f]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm just saying, he's awesome.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Well, I haven't run into him yet at about 7 hours of gameplay although...

[spoiler:f3fd861621]...I have run into his guild's Grunty for the Guild Master event. All of them were pretty cute although Death Grunty does seem to kick the most ass out of all of them. So funny how poor Haseo gets owned by such a little guy![/spoiler:f3fd861621]

On a different note, does anyone have a specific background pic and/or BGM for their desktop that seems the absolute best for you?

Desktop:
    [spoiler:f3fd861621]I was using this one picture from the graphics board which seemed to be some sort of ink painting of Haseo with his scythe but I just changed it for his anime-picture.[/spoiler:f3fd861621]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

[spoiler:b6ac8a7b25]...I have run into his guild's Grunty for the Guild Master event. All of them were pretty cute although Death Grunty does seem to kick the most ass out of all of them. So funny how poor Haseo gets owned by such a little guy![/spoiler:b6ac8a7b25]

On a different note, does anyone have a specific background pic and/or BGM for their desktop that seems the absolute best for you?

Desktop:
    [spoiler:b6ac8a7b25]I was using this one picture from the graphics board which seemed to be some sort of ink painting of Haseo with his scythe but I just changed it for his anime-picture.[/spoiler:b6ac8a7b25]

There's one in the Terror of Death thread that I use. It looks almost like a cross between Haseo and the [spoiler:b6ac8a7b25]original character who was possesed by Skeith in the old anime.[/spoiler:b6ac8a7b25]

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

[spoiler:255bfa9655]...I have run into his guild's Grunty for the Guild Master event. All of them were pretty cute although Death Grunty does seem to kick the most ass out of all of them. So funny how poor Haseo gets owned by such a little guy![/spoiler:255bfa9655]

Desktop:
    [spoiler:255bfa9655]I was using this one picture from the graphics board which seemed to be some sort of ink painting of Haseo with his scythe but I just changed it for his anime-picture.[/spoiler:255bfa9655]

There's one in the Terror of Death thread that I use. It looks almost like a cross between Haseo and the [spoiler:255bfa9655]original character who was possesed by Skeith in the old anime.[/spoiler:255bfa9655]

[spoiler:255bfa9655]You mean Sora? He wasn't possessed. He just got locked in the game and stuck inside of Skeith's staff. That's why he popped out of it in a dungeon after you beat Skeith. Just Skeith pulling a Sheng Tsung. :) [/spoiler:255bfa9655]

Owenashi on